Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

I Am Crake posted:

There's some functionality from reminders that I seem not to be able to find or are just missing from the app. Things like:

- Daily reminders that just pop up from monday to friday (take medicine, take a break, time to sleep etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What's the best clipboard manager? Or a good enough one? I don't care if it costs a couple of dollars.

I just want the text I copy to be accessible a few copies down the road, and I guess it would be nice to blacklist some apps.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

tuyop posted:

What's the best clipboard manager? Or a good enough one? I don't care if it costs a couple of dollars.

I just want the text I copy to be accessible a few copies down the road, and I guess it would be nice to blacklist some apps.

I know PasteBot was recently released. No idea if it does blacklisting though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If you don't want to spend :10bux: and don't need to do anything fancy, Collective is darn decent in my book.

Keeps a history of whatever you add to the clipboard, allows you to re-paste anything, and it's only $2. It's never needed an update from Yosemite onwards and has never been responsible for a crash (in my experience.)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

flycut?

it's free

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I've been using jumpcut.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Out of curiosity, how do these clipboard managers deal with copied passwords from Keychain/1Password/etc? It doesn't seem like a good idea to store those in a history of sorts

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is there something I could have hosed up in my settings to make computer to computer connections on a local network super slow? I have an iMac and a MBP and both show a super speedy Speedtest of 110+ Mbps when downloading from the internet. But if I try to access one computer from another it is unbelievably slow. I'm currently trying to copy a 152 meg file from the desktop of one machine to another and it's taken 8 minutes to get 40% complete with another estimated 9 minutes to go. Directories take 5-10 seconds to display. Sometimes the first 50 megs are slow and then it speeds up, but sometimes the whole transfer is super duper slow. Any suggestions?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

wdarkk posted:

I've been using jumpcut.

This looks perfect, thanks!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've been using Copy'em Paste. Not cheap at $14.99 in the App Store.

I really like being able to tag certain clipboard contents that I tend to use over and over. Plus it keeps a rolling buffer of the last 100 copies to the clipboard that haven't had a tag applied. I'm not sure how many you can keep indefinitely if you apply a tag since I have about 4 different tags set up and maybe 5-10 slots used in each. Another nice feature is being able to keep formatting or just paste as plain text.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

tuyop posted:

Alfred does it if you have the power pack, and does it pretty well. https://www.alfredapp.com/help/features/clipboard/

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Last Chance posted:

Out of curiosity, how do these clipboard managers deal with copied passwords from Keychain/1Password/etc? It doesn't seem like a good idea to store those in a history of sorts
I don't see my passwords in iClip when I copy them from 1Password.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

I really like Alfred, but if you don't already use it and other Powerpack features it's pretty steep for just clipboard management. A brief look at Pastebot left a good impression, and it's on sale (or maybe just permanently cheaper?): http://appshopper.com/mac/productivity/pastebot

Last Chance posted:

They have a blacklist feature, and most of them blacklist common password management apps by default.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Violator posted:

Is there something I could have hosed up in my settings to make computer to computer connections on a local network super slow? I have an iMac and a MBP and both show a super speedy Speedtest of 110+ Mbps when downloading from the internet. But if I try to access one computer from another it is unbelievably slow. I'm currently trying to copy a 152 meg file from the desktop of one machine to another and it's taken 8 minutes to get 40% complete with another estimated 9 minutes to go. Directories take 5-10 seconds to display. Sometimes the first 50 megs are slow and then it speeds up, but sometimes the whole transfer is super duper slow. Any suggestions?

Found a solution: https://dpron.com/os-x-10-11-5-slow-smb/

No thanks to you neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerds!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
OSXmacOS seems to get so many weird bugs with updates. 10.12.3 broke my USB keyboard (a Mac-layout Spacesaver M from Unicomp). It works on any Mac lower than 10.12.3 (works great on 10.12.2), but any Mac actually on that version can't enumerate it. And, of course, the one computer I need it on is the one I noticed the issue with.

Now I get to find out how receptive Apple is to people reporting weird hardware issues.

eames
May 9, 2009

Kreeblah posted:

OSXmacOS seems to get so many weird bugs with updates. 10.12.3 broke my USB keyboard (a Mac-layout Spacesaver M from Unicomp). It works on any Mac lower than 10.12.3 (works great on 10.12.2), but any Mac actually on that version can't enumerate it. And, of course, the one computer I need it on is the one I noticed the issue with.

Now I get to find out how receptive Apple is to people reporting weird hardware issues.

Have you tried connecting a USB extension cord between the keyboard and Mac? I know this sounds dumb but it's a pretty common bug with original iMac keyboards.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lawen posted:

Alfred does it if you have the power pack, and does it pretty well. https://www.alfredapp.com/help/features/clipboard/

:aaa:

Well, god drat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Installed the 10.12.3 update on my 13" MBP and 12" MB, side-by-side for a race.

People try to say the MacBook is as fast as the Pro/Air but doing something like this, you can tell it's not. It's not slow but some things do take quite a bit longer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
What do you mean? The MB is OBVIOUSLY not going to be as fast as a MBP, but is it not faster than a MBA?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tuyop posted:

What do you mean? The MB is OBVIOUSLY not going to be as fast as a MBP, but is it not faster than a MBA?

Apple somehow managed to make the 2016 MacBook slower than the 2015 MacBook Air.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I know everyone hates benchmarks, but I've been shopping for a new laptop so I happened to have this in my notepad:

2015 MacBook Air
1.6ghz CPU (5250U)
Passmark Benchmark - 3601
Intel HD Graphics 6000 - 816

2016 MacBook
1.1ghz CPU (M5-6Y54) - 3274
Intel HD Graphics 515 - 614

So 30% slower clock speed, but less than a 10% difference in speed. So slower, but more efficient.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Looking at a refurb 2015 model MBP on the UK Apple site, and I'm pretty sure its actually more expensive than it was new in 2015.

Was there a massive Brexit price hike or am I going bonkers?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There was a UK price hike.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There was a UK price hike.

Oh no! thanks

Just noticed this isn't the hardware thread, umm I thought there might have been an error with safari displaying the price

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krispy Kareem posted:

I know everyone hates benchmarks, but I've been shopping for a new laptop so I happened to have this in my notepad:

2015 MacBook Air
1.6ghz CPU (5250U)
Passmark Benchmark - 3601
Intel HD Graphics 6000 - 816

2016 MacBook
1.1ghz CPU (M5-6Y54) - 3274
Intel HD Graphics 515 - 614

So 30% slower clock speed, but less than a 10% difference in speed. So slower, but more efficient.

Right - but run something on both of those and you'll see the Air is way faster than the benchmarks would lead you to believe.
I don't know if there's throttling or what. Again, it's perfectly fine for day to day stuff, but there are times when you can tell there's a big difference.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anybody having really stupid/weird/small issues with YouTube on Sierra? I've found that if try to rewind, sometimes it'll just stay on the same frame until it catches back up to the previous point, and on rare occasions it'll just chug at like half a frame a second. Been happening since 10.12.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nut Bunnies posted:

Anybody having really stupid/weird/small issues with YouTube on Sierra? I've found that if try to rewind, sometimes it'll just stay on the same frame until it catches back up to the previous point, and on rare occasions it'll just chug at like half a frame a second. Been happening since 10.12.
Yeah I've seen that occasionally as well.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hard to say whose problem it is, but given that Google just made 4K Chrome-only, I doubt they'd be in a rush to find out and/or fix it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does Chrome even use hardware acceleration for VP9 on MacOS?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Nut Bunnies posted:

If you are using the left/right arrow keys to move 5 seconds, and you get perfect audio while the video stays on that one frame, we are bug buddies.

One thing I've noticed is that if you let it play for a second or so past the point when video resumes, you can rewind and it will work, but if you rewind too close to that frame you get the bug. Might have something to do with where the iframes are, that being a classic source of difficulties in rewind and fast forward of compressed video.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

If you are using the left/right arrow keys to move 5 seconds, and you get perfect audio while the video stays on that one frame, we are bug buddies.

Oh yeah, baby. Haven't had a bug bother me this much since the one where swipe to go back froze the page 1/8 of the way through

As previously mentioned, there's a more rare one where it just chugs and shows like a frame every 5 seconds until a browser reboot

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Edit whoa way wrong thread.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 28, 2017

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I'd like to boot camp Windows and only have a key for 7 but it's upgradeable to 10. Any guides on how that's done?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bunk Rogers posted:

I'd like to boot camp Windows and only have a key for 7 but it's upgradeable to 10. Any guides on how that's done?

How what's done? What's your end result here, 7 or 10 or what?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Sierra required 8.1 or newer. Turns out the Windows 10 iso accepts the Windows 7 key no problem even though its a OEM copy license of the OS that I was using.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
If I've already got a windows 10 stick (but used it on a computer already) can I just use it to install windows via boot camp or is there going to be an endless product verification nag screen or something?

I know my license is only for one PC but I remember reading at the time of the free win 10 upgrade that MS changed its authentication procedures and basically doesn't care unless you're an enterprise user, but how does this actually work?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Picking up on copy/paste chat. Does anyone know of a program that will let you make a list of frequently copy/pasted items? I don't need my copy paste history, I just want to save 10-15 things that I can quickly grab from a menu, either in the menu bar or maybe right click.

Anything come to mind?

skull mask mcgee posted:

I know PasteBot was recently released. No idea if it does blacklisting though.

It looks like this might have what i'm looking for...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't really understand the concept of copy and paste managers.

Is this just like a glorified notepad.exe?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

tuyop posted:

If I've already got a windows 10 stick (but used it on a computer already) can I just use it to install windows via boot camp or is there going to be an endless product verification nag screen or something?

I know my license is only for one PC but I remember reading at the time of the free win 10 upgrade that MS changed its authentication procedures and basically doesn't care unless you're an enterprise user, but how does this actually work?

They're pretty good at keeping from using the same license twice. There is a dude on SA Mart selling $25 Win 7 licenses and that seems to have worked great for me. Why the boot defaults to Windows now is a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't really understand the concept of copy and paste managers.

Is this just like a glorified notepad.exe?

It's a clipboard with a history.

If you don't have a use case for it, then it's probably not for you. Most people probably don't need one.