Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What a shame, tremendous actor and by all accounts just a wonderful person.

It almost feels crass to be upset that we're not getting any more War Doctor stuff beyond what they already recorded, but we got far more than we probably could have expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, it's not shocking, but still sad. At least all his Big Finish stuff is completed, so we won't be left wondering "what if..."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh for God's sake. :(

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

RIP War Doctor :cry:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

At least he won't have to go to prison.

Baron Corbyn posted:

The new season of Doctor Who got dark

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

RIP War Doctor :cry:

"So I won't remember that I tried to save Gallifrey rather than burn it. I'll have to live with that. But for now, for this moment, I am the Doctor again. Thank you."

Think I'll watch Day of the Doctor again to cheer me up :unsmith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm probably gonna cry listening to the last War Doctor set when it comes out in a couple weeks...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:smith:
Aw man, John Hurt was one of those actors that seemed immortal, and great in everything they did.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jerusalem posted:

"So I won't remember that I tried to save Gallifrey rather than burn it. I'll have to live with that. But for now, for this moment, I am the Doctor again. Thank you."

Think I'll watch Day of the Doctor again to cheer me up :unsmith:

I feel bad that the War Doctor is the only role I really know John Hurt as, but I'm mourning him based on that anyway. I don't think any theoretical version of Day of the Doctor could've turned out better than the one with John Hurt as the Doctor, that was masterful casting and a fantastic performance.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My chest is bursting with sorrow.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Time to rewatch I, Clavdivs I think.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Time to rewatch I, Clavdivs I think.

His Caligula is pretty amazing, can definitely recommend it to anybody who hasn't seen it.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Jerusalem posted:

His Caligula is pretty amazing, can definitely recommend it to anybody who hasn't seen it.

In floods this morning, (wonderful headline to wake up to), as he was one of the 'favourite actors from childhood' that one tends to accumulate, and Claudius was probably the first thing I remember seeing him in as a kid back in the '70s (either that or Man for All Seasons). Appreciated it more and more as an adult -- he steals every scene he's in, especially as a very young pre-emperor.

I'd always hoped to have a chance to ask him to read a line from Dio Cassius in which Gaius Caligula snarkily tells his sister to quit bitching about being in exile because there are plenty of swords lying about the empire. He would have given it the delicious honeyed acid read such a line warrants :unsmith:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

gently caress.

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Doctory birthdays...Happy Birthday John Hurt! Everyone go buy the War Doctor audios, and preorder the 4th set coming out next month.

:(

gently caress.

We've lost another Doctor. Not one we were ever expecting to have....

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
No more. :smith:

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
He got to have an astonishing career and left with the public adoration and, most likely, surrounded by people he loved. This doesn't stop me from being bummed out, but it does help offset it somewhat.

Godspeed, John.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

What a shame, tremendous actor and by all accounts just a wonderful person.

It almost feels crass to be upset that we're not getting any more War Doctor stuff beyond what they already recorded, but we got far more than we probably could have expected.

At least we still have one more set to go, not to mention The Invisible Man

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

At least we still have one more set to go, not to mention The Invisible Man

I do wonder if BF is going to delay or otherwise alter release plans. It may come off as a bit morbid to go "hey, here's a brand new release from a guy who just died" (especially since Invisible Man was slated for somewhere in the next 4 days)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cleretic posted:

I feel bad that the War Doctor is the only role I really know John Hurt as, but I'm mourning him based on that anyway. I don't think any theoretical version of Day of the Doctor could've turned out better than the one with John Hurt as the Doctor, that was masterful casting and a fantastic performance.

Dude, at least watch Alien. I mean, he also had bigger parts in, frankly, better movies, but that one is a cultural touchstone. John Hurt was one of those actors who elevated the material he was given, and as others have said by all accounts he was a super nice guy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My wife thought she only knew him as the War Doctor, but then I reminded her that he was Ollivander in Harry Potter too. She's a huge HP fan, but tends to lose actors behind the characters in that franchise.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I highly recommend the recent Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for some very good Hurt (as well as a bunch of other huge British names acting their arses off).

Also, absolutely Alien.

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive." Is John Hurt still in that version? 🤔

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

SiKboy posted:

Dude, at least watch Alien. I mean, he also had bigger parts in, frankly, better movies

You what mate

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I was going to say that they might be American and that the original film doesn't have nearly the same cultural significance over here, but then I checked SiKboy's posting history, and yeah... work it out amongst yourselves.

(It's a great movie.)

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

The_Doctor posted:

I highly recommend the recent Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy for some very good Hurt (as well as a bunch of other huge British names acting their arses off).

Also, absolutely Alien.

Be sure to follow it up with his cameo in Space Balls.

Another strange little film he was in is Frankenstein Unbound.

Here you go -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9smZO4gkkLE

Raul Julia is also in it, and it's a Roger Corman film -- go on, go on, spend a cosy afternoon with John Hurt and an oddball little film :unsmith:

Ms Boods fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 28, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the first thing with Hurt I saw him in was the 1984 adaptation of Nineteen Eighty-Four, where he played Winston Smith (Richard Burton played O'Brien).

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ms Boods posted:

Be sure to follow it up with his cameo in Space Balls.

Another strange little film he was in is Frankenstein Unbound.

Here you go -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9smZO4gkkLE

He, if we're doing this, I can tell everyone to go watch Dead Man again! He's only in a bit, but so is everyone else in that lunatic cast.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
He was superb in the 1984 version of 1984

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You what mate

I was in a hurry. I should have said "bigger parts in movies I enjoy more". Alien is without arguement a very good movie, but its far from my favourite in Hurts back catalogue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

That movie is loving gorgeous and the cast is amazing. It never quite reaches the height of the old TV series (Alec Guinness' Smiley is astonishing) but it's a hell of a movie, and Hurt is great (as always) in it.

After The War posted:

He, if we're doing this, I can tell everyone to go watch Dead Man again! He's only in a bit, but so is everyone else in that lunatic cast.

Oh hell yes, fantastic film.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerusalem posted:

That movie is loving gorgeous and the cast is amazing. It never quite reaches the height of the old TV series (Alec Guinness' Smiley is astonishing) but it's a hell of a movie, and Hurt is great (as always) in it.
The aesthetic difference between a TV show shot in the 1970s and a movie filmed in the past few but set in the 1970s is pretty funny.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

Kathy Burke, who played Connie Sachs in the film version:

https://twitter.com/KathyBurke/status/825280680988905472

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh man that's sweet as hell :shobon:

I especially like she included the driver, who was probably thrilled she said it so he'd have an excuse to do the same :)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Listening to those behind the scenes tracks included on the Big Finish War Doctor audios gives an insight into how respected as an actor and loved as a person by his peers that guy was, too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I dare you guys to go watch his final scene in Day of the Doctor right now and not cry.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
His performance in Beckett's Krapp's Last Tape is completely mesmerising and haunting. I'm so glad I got to see him do it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BocpSvPCMXY

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

I dare you guys to go watch his final scene in Day of the Doctor right now and not cry.

I was playing Lego Dimensions and my character regenerated into the War Doctor. I had to put down the controller and walk away for a minute or two.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hey guys, whats with all the posts, did they announce an airdate for the new seas-:yikes:.

Well, poo poo. :negative:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just had a very sad thought...

BF has been doing all the straight ahead Time War audios with the War Doctor, but they never had time to get out in the weeds and start doing the more esoteric, experimental stuff that they tend to do after awhile--multidoctor stories with him, pairing him with other companions, etc. We'll never get to hear him meet River Song or the 5th Doctor or anything like that, and it would have been great. :(

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Leela's going to be in the final release if that helps any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I was hoping for him to turn up in the 8th Doctor Time War set :sigh:

Let's give this a revisit. I love the younger Hurt footage interspersed in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LutkLN0P0PM

• Locked thread