Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Yeah you probably shouldn't do NYM Hardcore for the sake of scheduling, but it's really cool if you get in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Yes! I'm applying to SGDQ this year (didn't want to go to AGDQ because I hate travelling in the cold). I don't think I'll make it in because I'm not a very popular streamer/my YT channel isn't very popular, but it's worth a shot anyway.

edit: And the only thing I'm worried about is that the game might also hold me back. I can't do the run at GDQ on NYM Hardcore, because if I die then the run fails and I can't finish it. But the game has a lot of lengthy chapter intro cutscenes (including the 5 minute opening video) that you can't skip on the normal difficulties.

Can you do it with backup saves in case of death?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Unfortunately no, but on the normal difficulty you can die as many times as you want so it's not a problem there. At most it'd add maybe half an hour onto the run, taking it from 2h up to 2.5h, but that half an hour would be just sitting and watching the game and not playing! Although there'd be good time for reading donations, I guess.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Half hour isn't the worst thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, another problem is that some of the unskippable cutscenes contain pretty explicit nudity and sex which is generally a no-no at GDQ (specifically there's a scene where max grumbles around in a strip joint for a while, which is skipped in NYM). What I could do instead is just run through the list of chapters in the actual New York Minute menu itself, instead of doing NYM HC. There's some extra menu navigation but that's no big deal. That way I get set back, at most, maybe 5 minutes if I die, and all the long-rear end intro cutscenes are skipped.

edit: In fact, I think I will do that. It's a nice compromise and though it makes the game feel pretty segmented, it solves pretty much all the issues with running the game live.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 11, 2017

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Is there a speedrunning community for Max Payne?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No, no there is not. Not for 3 at least, though the older games have a bit of a community. It's just me and a couple other people who like blasting through the game real quick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMoMFVxD49U

Although there is this great speedrun of Max Payne 2 that is really good, the commentator is entertaining too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I figured you could ask about how the run should be done if there was a community but sounds like you got free reign to decide how it goes down yourself.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I have seen one let's play style commentary over a tool assisted speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CguPESVuZ3Y

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Shaded Spriter posted:

I enjoyed this thank you for posting it.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Shaded Spriter posted:

Reminded me of the author comments for the MMBN TAS, although I don't think you could read the comments aloud before the video is over.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
In lieu of something that's not internet drama or speed-run related, here a few outside-SA LP recommendations I wanted to make.

First one is Mr. Smart Donkey. He primarily plays strategy and RTS games, the main one being Total War: Shogun 2. He's a pretty good player, as he's able to play Shogun 2 on Legendary and makes it look pretty effortless. Apart from his LP videos, he's also done some videos covering the best/ worth units and overviews of different clans, so it worth checking out if you're like me and you're interested in learning how to play Shogun 2.

The second one is SorcererDave. He does sort-of in-character' LPs of modded Gamebryo RPGs (Morrowind, Skyrim, New Vegas). The reason why I say 'sort-of in-character' is because he doesn't really narrate as if he's his character, but rather he puts an emphasis on role-playing aspect. He starts out by establishing a backstory and personality for the character he plays, and the mods he uses add survival/needs aspects to the game. I was watching his Skryim LP a while back, and it motivated me to try playing Skryim again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pewdiepie in Anti-Semitic storm after paying men to unveil sign stating ‘death to all Jews’ hits YouTube

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ironically, fiverr is an Israeli startup.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Why did he think this would be a good idea? Especially after he got called out earlier in a similar incident. :psyduck:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"message of their choice" "unwittingly" :confused:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Are they saying that the people he paid trolled him live on stream? Or did he actually think it was funny to have that sign made?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

When can we try puddyply for crimes against humanity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spark That Bled posted:

Are they saying that the people he paid trolled him live on stream? Or did he actually think it was funny to have that sign made?

The premise of the video is that he was sending out insane requests to people on fiverr and nobody took them because they were ridiculous, except for these guys, who happily agreed. He did not expect them to actually do it but boy did they. And then he put it in the video instead of just like ignoring it because views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtxXKezbQ9w

11:00

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So instead of saying stupid poo poo himself he's now paying other people to say it for him?

Also, how the gently caress did he not think this was going to happen? I'm amazed more people didn't call his bluff.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe he's annoyed at the constraints he's been put under and is trying to get the other party to cut him loose?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe he's annoyed at the constraints he's been put under and is trying to get the other party to cut him loose?

He's truly a pewpetmaster.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

hanales posted:

He's truly a pewpetmaster.

He's like a pigeon playing 11-dimensional chess.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
If he's really tired of being a millionaire, he can send all his money to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It seems like recently he's been on a kick of using his channel to see just how far he can push Youtube's rules as a YT partner, with the added benefit of millions of views and news coverage.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm amazed more people didn't call his bluff.

Those guys are suspended from fiverr now, so if he made any similar requests then probably for their own sake.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jamesman posted:

If he's really tired of being a millionaire, he can send all his money to me.

Yeah I mean poo poo, if any youtube execs are reading this thread you can pay me a mere 5% of what you pay pewds and I'll gladly take up the mantle of screaming at video games with a face cam for multiple vids a day.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
the more things change, the more they stay the same

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I can't tell if this is a case of horrible mindlessness and attention-grabbing or genuine antisemitism trying to remain presentable.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

paradoxGentleman posted:

I can't tell if this is a case of horrible mindlessness and attention-grabbing or genuine antisemitism trying to remain presentable.

It's the first one, which is why it hasn't exploded and severely hurt PDP. He just thought of the most acceptable horrible thing he could get away with, and tried to see if they would call his bluff for five bucks. It's still dumb, don't get me wrong, but I can't say it was honest prejudice based on the context.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/PyWafHW.gifv

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

I been watching a stream of layers of Fear talking which is talking about the game in a mechanical sense. Is there any other let's plays out there which do something similar? An analysis of the ways horror games scare the player and why others fall down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtPGZc_o5gc

I have seen maybe one thing similar to this and it is an analysis of Five Nights at Freddy's 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7z9SxPZnYM

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

Shaded Spriter posted:

I have seen maybe one thing similar to this and it is an analysis of Five Nights at Freddy's 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7z9SxPZnYM

That was very interesting. On that note, are there any 5 nights at freddy's LPs that are tolerable? I guess minimal commentary and competent yet adventurous gameplay would be best.

Powerfrog fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 30, 2017

Monk E
May 19, 2009
HarshlyCritical is usually pretty good about not being obnoxious I don't remember how his original Five Nights at Freddy's videos were but they would probably be worth a shot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Monk E posted:

HarshlyCritical is usually pretty good about not being obnoxious I don't remember how his original Five Nights at Freddy's videos were but they would probably be worth a shot.

He got into the first couple games really well then got more and more "It's okay" to them as it's gone it seems like, he's been pretty up front that it was also in good part thanks to the really obnoxious people that sprang up around them over time as well. Like in one or another of the later ones, he complained that there were a weird bunch of people really jumping on him over misgendering the robots in previous ones. :v:

So like 1-2-3 he was still getting caught by jumpscares here and there, but he wasn't ever a gibbering mess about them.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks, HarshlyCritical is good, I'm liking his approach to it.

I forgot I'm a big scaredy baby though so I'm not sure I can even watch other people playing these games.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So DSP released a video basically saying he's hosed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt2CBAAakQQ

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
I feel bad for DSP and the other YouTube people who are getting the short end of the algorithm/subscription notifier changes. It's a twisted world we now live in where a 10000000000 degree knife cutting through stuff turns up on more people's related videos than a dude accidentally j/oing live on stream.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

judge reinhold posted:

I feel bad for DSP and the other YouTube people who are getting the short end of the algorithm/subscription notifier changes. It's a twisted world we now live in where a 10000000000 degree knife cutting through stuff turns up on more people's related videos than a dude accidentally j/oing live on stream.

I would feel bad too except everything is entirely his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

TaurusOxford posted:

So DSP released a video basically saying he's hosed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt2CBAAakQQ

Is that four ads I see on his loving "I need financial help" video?

I'm all for supporting indie content producers and the whole LP/streaming community but unless he somehow started not being a jackhole over the last year I'll pass.

• Locked thread