Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Peachfart posted:

Tried this, still pops up randomly. If I restart my phone it stops it until I open up maps, and then it starts going crazy. It even likes to interrupt itself, as if maps is open and actively used it will pop up a message asking if I want to exit navigation so it can navigate to the place I'm already navigating too.
Google.

Other than a factory reset I'm not sure where to take that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

If you roll maps back to the original version on your phone does it still happen?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Does anyone have good recommendations for accessibility software or even phones in general for someone with low vision? My mother in law has a form of macular degeneration (I think?) which severely restricts her focal vision, but still lets her "see around" it.

If you search "low vision" in the play store there's a lot of apps and launcher options to make everything high contrast and HUGE, such as:

Big Launcher (was recommended in here previously)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.kunes.android.launcher.demo

Easee
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.momemi.android.easee

HCLauncher
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mobilendo.hclauncher

I have tried none of these but selecting one will bring up tons of similar ones.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

deong posted:

I think its a hint you need to go for a run...

Is there a way to turn off SwiftKeys ability to type multilingually? I have a spanish dictionary installed for when i use duolingo. I'm no where good enough to need it on the fly, but I get a lot of random spanish suggestions now.

I think you need to go to settings to turn languages on and off. Note, you do not have to delete them, just toggle them. Saves you re-downloading the dictionary later.

FWIW, I find that SwiftKey seems to pick one dictionary over the other based on context clues. After I type one or two words in one language, it stops recommending me words in the other.

You could always install another keyboard set to the second language and use the keyboard selector to switch easier. But then you're typing with two different apps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Does anyone have good recommendations for accessibility software or even phones in general for someone with low vision? My mother in law has a form of macular degeneration (I think?) which severely restricts her focal vision, but still lets her "see around" it.

I've already turned on high contrast mode and increased the font size to the maximum, and the included screen magnifier is helpful but also makes the phone chug. Screen readers haven't been terribly useful because they're usually pretty bad and also she still has vision, just needs things to be as large and contrasted as possible.

She has a Nexus 6 right now which I suggested for her a year and a half ago I think? When it was still reasonably new because it had such a monster screen and was stock Android so I could tech support / computer janitor for her over the phone easily.

Anyway I'm not one hundred percent sure what I'm asking for, more just curious if anyone is in (or knows someone in) a similar situation and what solutions they've come up with? Apps, phones, weird external devices, anything would be appreciated, thank you!

Honestly I've heard great things about the iPhone's accessibility features.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I would be using Swype but I'm a weirdo who can't stand not having a number row, so I use Google Keyboard with the qwerty layout.

I'm getting really bad swipe recognition too, though.

What a coincidence.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I would like a recommendation for a free, simple to use, reliable GPS app that lets you type in the coordinates and then either you get a compass or a map view. Something similar to Garmin handheld GPS's. Anyone know?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I would like a recommendation for a free, simple to use, reliable GPS app that lets you type in the coordinates and then either you get a compass or a map view. Something similar to Garmin handheld GPS's. Anyone know?

Can't you enter coordinates in Google Maps?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can't you enter coordinates in Google Maps?

Hmm... I suppose so, but I would like something more precise, like something that gives me a compass direction and distance to the set waypoint, like a real handheld GPS. I've tried looking through Play store but all I'm coming up with is either geocaching apps or apps that tell your current coordinates and just that.

e: I think I finally found some that fit the bill, will have to test them. But you can still offer recommendations if you know of a suitable application.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 27, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Hmm... I suppose so, but I would like something more precise, like something that gives me a compass direction and distance to the set waypoint, like a real handheld GPS. I've tried looking through Play store but all I'm coming up with is either geocaching apps or apps that tell your current coordinates and just that.

Well you said "or a map" which Google Maps would do, a compass style thing I'm not sure. Would a geocaching style thing work at all? There has to be one that meets your need.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well you said "or a map" which Google Maps would do, a compass style thing I'm not sure. Would a geocaching style thing work at all? There has to be one that meets your need.

I've used c:geo and it's fine for geocaching but it doesn't let you save your own waypoints in a simple way, I would like something that isn't designed with just geocaching in mind. Thanks for suggestions anyway.

edit: app called Place Saver seems to do this

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 27, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Other than a factory reset I'm not sure where to take that.

This is getting hilarious. So I uninstalled Maps as much as I could: Disabled the app and uninstalled all updates. So now I get a popup every 15 minutes or so about 'welcome to maps', as if I wanted to install Maps again.
Going to factory reset this weekend.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Peachfart posted:

This is getting hilarious. So I uninstalled Maps as much as I could: Disabled the app and uninstalled all updates. So now I get a popup every 15 minutes or so about 'welcome to maps', as if I wanted to install Maps again.
Going to factory reset this weekend.

Something that isn't Maps is invoking it.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Yeah, I was thinking there could be some weird NFC or (travel)pairing thing kicking it on.

Do you have any integrated home/car/wear devices that might have had maps as a recent command prompt? Or some NFC mount or active case or even some smart-sticker?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uber is integrated directly into Maps, could that cause it?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
My Google Voice app got updated recently, and now I don't get incoming calls. I'm told it just says some error number when people try to call me.

That's cool.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I don't think the app would be responsible for that, sounds more like an error in the forwarding or smth. Google the error number and see if there are any results maybe

E,: or uninstall it and see if they come through

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

sweart gliwere posted:

Yeah, I was thinking there could be some weird NFC or (travel)pairing thing kicking it on.

Do you have any integrated home/car/wear devices that might have had maps as a recent command prompt? Or some NFC mount or active case or even some smart-sticker?
I have NFC disabled, and I don't use Bluetooth on this phone except for headphones, which I haven't done in awhile.

LastInLine posted:

Uber is integrated directly into Maps, could that cause it?
I don't use Uber. I haven't downloaded any new apps recently either.
However, since I last posted, Maps has been quiet. Waze seems to be working just fine in the meantime. I don't understand what is happening, so I will do a factory reset and that should hopefully take care of the issue.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

LastInLine posted:

Something that isn't Maps is invoking it.

It'll be this. Very curious that it tried to intent to navigation to the same place you were navigating to though. How did you invoke maps when you started it yourself for that navigation?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A dumb question but you aren't disabling Location Services are you?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

It'll be this. Very curious that it tried to intent to navigation to the same place you were navigating to though. How did you invoke maps when you started it yourself for that navigation?
Voice command.

LastInLine posted:

A dumb question but you aren't disabling Location Services are you?
Nope, I always leave it on.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Peachfart posted:

Voice command.

Try clearing the defaults for maps

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It could be a ghost invoking voice navigation, try leaving your phone in a circle of salt or silver.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Funny you should mention that. That's the update that killed Swype and made me switch to Gboard. It's so much more responsive!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Spermanent Record posted:

Funny you should mention that. That's the update that killed Swype and made me switch to Gboard. It's so much more responsive!

Is the update actually out for the main version? According to the article and as far as I can tell, it's only for the trial version right now. That said, Swype's never been lightweight or a good performer. It's accurate and the shortcuts are great but everything else about it is just awful. I switched to Gboard on and off about six months ago and to it full time for the last two months and while I miss Swype sometimes I can't say I miss how ugly it was or how slow it was to invoke.

e: Yeah I got the update now. I forgot how much I hate the fact that you can't have secondary symbols on a good looking theme. The thing is its just so much more accurate and the suggestions are way better than Gboard.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 28, 2017

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
That last update made it lag on long presses. If they fix that, and Gboard stops being a mostly adequate replacement for swyping then i might go back.

Gboard seems fine though. It's significantly faster and the accuracy doesn't seem that bad as long as you start on the right letter.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That last update made it lag on long presses. If they fix that, and Gboard stops being a mostly adequate replacement for swyping then i might go back.

Gboard seems fine though. It's significantly faster and the accuracy doesn't seem that bad as long as you start on the right letter.

If I had to point to specific ways that Gboard swiping is deficient:
  • Not enough suggestions. You used to be able to access more than three but now you can't and the problem with swiping is that you get certain words that generate wildly divergent suggestion pools. As you said starting with the right letter helps but Swype never had this problem.

• When searching from the homescreen Google widget, you get no suggestions at all. So every time I go to search for something, I pull it up, swipe, get nonsense, backspace, swipe again, backspace, then tap it out.

• Populating the suggestion bar with what it thinks you're swiping as you're swiping is distracting and bad. I hate hate hate how it shows the word I want so I stop swiping but because it's constantly updating as you swipe it's like a roulette wheel and half the time it's gone on to some other word and then the word I wanted isn't one of the three suggestions. It was better when the word it was going to be followed your finger, at least then I didn't have to stop looking at what I was doing to know if it would work, but Swype's way of not telling you what the word will be until you're done is better than the Super Mario Bros. 2 extra life spinner that's in there now.
There's other friction that comes up but those are the three things that every time I switch they just never fade away, they're always annoying.

I guess the other side of the coin though is that I don't expect perfection of the swiping component on Google's stock keyboard. It's a niche feature and it's just nice to have. Swype, though, is a paid-for presumably premium experience which is why I get frustrated every time I go back to it. If the stock keyboard needs to be good at everything, a keyboard that fills a particular niche, like SwiftKey or Swype, had better be, well, better. I think for the tap-tap crowd, SwiftKey is better than stock but I can't shake the feeling that for us swipers that Swype is not.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
Swype has a tiny space bar next to a big .com button when you search in your browser's URL bar so you end up typing 'is there.com a website.com for buying.com protractors.com.' It's been like that for years.

Everything about Swype has always been poo poo except the swyping, and this last update finally ruined that too so good riddance, crapware.

Spermanent Record fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 29, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Swype has a tiny space bar next to a big .com button when you search in your browser's URL bar so you end up typing 'is there.com a website.com for buying.com protractors.com.' It's been like that for years.

You should never need to hit the space bar, just going on to the next swipe puts it in. That's why I can never get used to predictive keyboards because I can never train myself to insert any spaces.

Also Swype hasn't always been poo poo. Compared to the awful stock keyboard in the Gingerbread days it was amazing. It definitely stopped getting better in 2011 once Nuance bought them, though, and unfortunately a good 2011 keyboard is not competitive in 2017 no matter how good the underlying technology.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

I guess the other side of the coin though is that I don't expect perfection of the swiping component on Google's stock keyboard.

I do because it used to be perfect like magic, and now it comes out with garbage on the regular

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Yea Gboard swiping is noticeably worse for me now after having used it for a couple years. It used to be really good

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I do because it used to be perfect like magic, and now it comes out with garbage on the regular

Blue Train posted:

Yea Gboard swiping is noticeably worse for me now after having used it for a couple years. It used to be really good

What exactly is worse? Just the accuracy of the predictions?

I think another aspect of my attitude toward Gboard is in the thread title. I've been happy with too many Google things that they later hosed up to have expectations of consistency and I'm a lot more forgiving than most toward Google's changes.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Swiping is just less accurate in general. I posted earlier about it wanting to use Thai instead of this even though the swiping motions are nothing alike

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah at first it was super smooth and I was showing people like 'hey watch this, *swishswishswish* it's the stuff I just said!'

Then it started to get a lot less smooth, like it was having performance issues, so they were obviously messing with it. It's gone back to smooth for me but the prediction is nowhere near as good as it was. Sometimes I need multiple goes at some words with wildly different results, then I remember typing is a thing and just correct it myself

It's more that I get frustrating moments now that I never used to. I've turned off some of the new settings to see if it helps though, definitely feels better without multilanguage on

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Yea Gboard has started to suck. I went back to SwiftKey

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I don't understand why Google loving sucks sometimes, like this isn't a case of making a new messaging platform every year, they had a functional keyboard and have made it bad for seemingly no reason. It's also the default keyboard so they've reduced utility of every Android phone at the same time.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Still works great for me. I love gboard and use its specific features frequently, but also have no trouble with swiping. :shrug:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Swiping on Gboard has definitely deteriorated, but not to the point where I want to switch to a different app.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I'm a fairly recent convert to Android (Google Pixel sepcifically), but my main computer is still a Mac, and I use iTunes for listening to music and playlist management. Does anyone have any protips for getting iTunes playlists - specifically smart playlists - onto their Android? So far my search has come up with a great lot of nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

morcant posted:

I'm a fairly recent convert to Android (Google Pixel sepcifically), but my main computer is still a Mac, and I use iTunes for listening to music and playlist management. Does anyone have any protips for getting iTunes playlists - specifically smart playlists - onto their Android? So far my search has come up with a great lot of nothing.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/play/riiVREJszSs;context-place=forum/play