Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

dscruffy1 posted:

I've died twice to Wallmonger in the two Supply Drop runs I've done, one was a normal run and the other was a challenge run. This is gonna be magical.

e: also some youtube dude is calling me a douchebag for dunking on the molotov launcher. :siren:THE MOLOTOV LAUNCHER IS loving GARBAGE.:siren:

Hey man I love you bud but molotov is neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I haven't played it yet but I just wanted to say I ended up buying Enter the Gungeon because of this thread.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

sheep-dodger posted:

Antibodies are overpriced garbage scruffy says as he pays 90 casings and proceeds to get 6 half hearts from them that would be worth 180 casings if bought in a shop.

This puts me in mind of a challenge:
Bury Me With My Money: don't purchase anything from shops. Gambling is allowed.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Scaramouche posted:

Pretty obvious, but if anyone was wondering what was up with Frifle and the Grey Mauser:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fafhrd_and_the_Gray_Mouser

See also: Any novel by Scott Lynch (who rips them off hard)

Is Scott Lynch a goon? I bet he's a goon. Love his books.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
There was a wall in the shadows at 5:40. Might've been the secret you were looking for?

edit: oops nope. it was the elevator room from the boss fight.

Broose fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 28, 2017

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
It might just be the graphical style/limitations, but the design of the Lich really reminds me of the Thanatos boss fight in Secret of Mana. Something with the arm grab and the way the second form looks.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

sheep-dodger posted:

Antibodies are overpriced garbage scruffy says as he pays 90 casings and proceeds to get 6 half hearts from them that would be worth 180 casings if bought in a shop.

Except he ended the run with 12 HP, meaning the Antibody had no real effect except for the feeling of security provided by having more health than you need. Had he skipped it entirely, nothing would have changed except that he would have had 90 more casings with which to spend on other, more useful items.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
Possible (probably easy) challenge: Blanks? We don't need no stinkin' blanks!
Pop your blanks at the beginning of each floor. Do not pick up dropped blanks or armour. No blanks. Also, if you get Table Tech Blank, no table-flipping. Natch.

Possible (harder) challenge: Passive Pass-up
No passive items. Drop your starting passives, do not pick up any passives from the Gungeon. Master Rounds and heart containers permitted.

Dunno if this was mentioned: Glass Cannon
Take hits in the first room until you get to 1/2 heart. Do not pick up healing. Armour is permitted. Good loving luck.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Olesh posted:

Except he ended the run with 12 HP, meaning the Antibody had no real effect except for the feeling of security provided by having more health than you need. Had he skipped it entirely, nothing would have changed except that he would have had 90 more casings with which to spend on other, more useful items.

Don't underestimate that feeling. People act differently when they're "safe" and when they're on the edge of failure. Had he been treading the line for the last quarter of the run, he might've started making more mistakes, taken more damage, and died.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'd rather scruffy concentrate on the (quite tricky) shenanigans to show off the second secret level before getting into too many gimmicks.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Loxbourne posted:

I'd rather scruffy concentrate on the (quite tricky) shenanigans to show off the second secret level before getting into too many gimmicks.

Agreed, but I thought I'd put out ideas while I had them. Has anyone suggested a keyless run?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

Agreed, but I thought I'd put out ideas while I had them. Has anyone suggested a keyless run?

There's actually a compelling reason for doing that one. Or rather, a "no chest" run. Break every chest.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lazy Bear posted:

Possible (probably easy) challenge: Blanks? We don't need no stinkin' blanks!
Pop your blanks at the beginning of each floor. Do not pick up dropped blanks or armour. No blanks. Also, if you get Table Tech Blank, no table-flipping. Natch.

Possible (harder) challenge: Passive Pass-up
No passive items. Drop your starting passives, do not pick up any passives from the Gungeon. Master Rounds and heart containers permitted.

Dunno if this was mentioned: Glass Cannon
Take hits in the first room until you get to 1/2 heart. Do not pick up healing. Armour is permitted. Good loving luck.
These are all less "gimmicks" and more "hard modes". I'm sure they'd be fun to play if you're as good as scruffy, but I'm not sure how fun they'd be to watch as opposed to a clearly delineated gimmick like the "you can only use one gun at a time until it runs out of ammo" one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Here's a simple one; Jammed run.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Add me to the list of people who got this because of the sale and the LP. Got through Gatling Gull and the bullet brothers, was killed by king bullet.

Found some new weapons I hadn't seen in the LP just yet, and at least one new enemy. Spoiling, just in case, I guess. New weapons include the wind up gun from Futurama, (fast fire, really slow reload, but it plays "pop goes the weasel" so net gain) a so called "charge gun" (lightning rifle, looks like a battery, seems like a good drop) and a camera, (which seems to do nothing. You can charge it and the screen will flash, but it seems to do little to no damage. I would almost believe it is an emergency blank, but I didn't live long enough to test.)

New enemy seems to be a living key that when killed, drops a key. Possibly useful

I also got a ballot as a passive item, but I have no idea what it was supposed to do. The description only said something about it being proof that you voted?

I think someone upthread mentioned getting a red chest on level one - add me to that list too. Got a trident out of it. Great for room clearing, but didn't seem all that good against bosses.

For new players I would suggest against destroying brown chests right off the bat. Personally speaking, I want to experience as much of the variety of weapons as I can, even the garbage ones. And since I can only just make it to level 2, what's the point of holding on to keys. If I can start getting in to deeper levels and start beating the past and whatnot, then sure, I'll hold out. And I certainly won't open one if it's the first I come across. But I really can't see myself skipping them entirely, just because they have a high chance of being not great.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I also got a ballot as a passive item, but I have no idea what it was supposed to do. The description only said something about it being proof that you voted?

+3 Coolness. Because voting is always super cool.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I propose the ultimate challenge: Scruffy must open every brown chest he finds!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

White Coke posted:

WITH KEYS. no shooting them open, you sneaky sneak.

Also, apparently it is Similar Sunday. Because I have never seen a mimic before.
Today in a short session I saw TWO. On like Floor 1.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

White Coke posted:

As an added condition, he must destroy every other quality of chest he comes across.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Lazy Bear posted:

+3 Coolness. Because voting is always super cool.

Yeah, scruffs got one a few videos ago but didn't dwell on it. Probably because of its simplicity.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bruceski posted:

I've mapped blank and reload to my mouse's two thumb buttons, just because I want to use them quickly while moving
This was some clutch advice for me, especially since I have a gaming mouse with a ton of side-buttons. I was able to map reload, blank and interact to them and it's helped.

I find that the Hunter is probably the best character for a new player, her pistol is accurate, reloads fast and is solid for room clearing. I'm getting the hang of clearing the first floor on a regular basis, but I'm still being stymied by the boss. Almost had the Trigger Twins once though. The Molotov Cocktail Launcher was a big help, funny enough. It seems like the sort of gun that can be clutch in the first few floors and tails off fast.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I have a fairly good track record clearing the first floor, but floor two is pretty consistently wrecking my poo poo. My last run of it had Lead Maidens everywhere. :gonk:

On the other hand I've seen Gatling Gull, the Bullet Twins and King Bullet on the first floor and not died to any of them. So I've got that going for me, which is nice...

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
A beam weapon + bouncy bullets + scatter shot and optionally ghost bullets turns the game into a hilarious light show.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, every time I get a good gun I blindly sidestep into bullets.

...every time I get a bad gun I blindly sidestep into bullets. This game is a lot easier when I'm just watching.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

CzarChasm posted:

New weapons include the wind up gun from Futurama, (fast fire, really slow reload, but it plays "pop goes the weasel" so net gain) a so called "charge gun" (lightning rifle, looks like a battery, seems like a good drop) and a camera, (which seems to do nothing. You can charge it and the screen will flash, but it seems to do little to no damage. I would almost believe it is an emergency blank, but I didn't live long enough to test.)

New enemy seems to be a living key that when killed, drops a key. Possibly useful

None of those guns are new to Supply Drop. The camera just does a small amount of damage to all enemies in the room and knocks them back. It also slows down bullets.

The enemy is new to Supply Drop, though.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Add me to this list of purchases because of this thread. That and sweet spare cash from finally selling my Bill's Hat and various drops from CS:GO and KF2. The sale on Steam was the final nail in the coffin.

Already died a bunch, but messing around has anyone suggested a single player coop run? As in configure both characters to use the exact same inputs. Just keep it going as long as possible.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When this LP is done, can we have a supercut of all Scruffy's panicked cries? There was some prime yelping in this episode.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Bruceski posted:

...every time I get a bad gun I blindly sidestep into bullets. This game is a lot easier when I'm just watching.

Story of my life, bruh.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

When this LP is done, can we have a supercut of all Scruffy's panicked cries? There was some prime yelping in this episode.

Seconded heartily.

Also, add me to the list of purchases due to this LP. This game is kicking my rear end.

EDIT:

JT Jag posted:

These are all less "gimmicks" and more "hard modes". I'm sure they'd be fun to play if you're as good as scruffy, but I'm not sure how fun they'd be to watch as opposed to a clearly delineated gimmick like the "you can only use one gun at a time until it runs out of ammo" one.

Dunno how I missed this. I agree generally, but the super-hard challenge could be fun to watch with Scruffy's panic noises.

Lazy Bear fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 29, 2017

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bruceski posted:

Thirding this. Scruffy is really drat good at this game.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
So..... bought the game.... on my first run I got a black chest on the first floor and a gun called Strange Matter out of it killed the first floor boss with it with like 5-6 shots died 5 minutes later on the second floor... scruffy is REALLY good at this game is what I'm saying

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'll say this: I've played maybe 20 times (dying quickly means quick runs) Made it to the 3rd floor once. If I hadn't watched Scruffy play and tried to absorb some of his tips, I probably would have become more frustrated with this game and given up a lot sooner.

I think if I can just find the right button combo I can start using the blanks instead of expecting to dodge roll my way out of everything.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Fourthing the panicked supercut.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I killed the Dragun finally and in the same run also got the powder and prime primer for the bullet that kills the past (and obviously the shell casing from the Dragun). I only made it because I got both the Serious Cannon and the BFG which basically lets you effortlessly clear rooms.

Looking forward to Scruffy hitting the supply drop update. It really changes the runs up because WOW did they add a lot of new room types.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

bman in 2288 posted:

Fourthing the panicked supercut.

Perhaps just a death reel from Scruffy's failed attempts to win the game while he was recording?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
After 98 deaths I finally cleared The Lich

My point is, folks, keep at it and you too can be as good as scruffy, if not as charismatic

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So far I've died to Gatling Gull twice, beat him once, and died to the bullet king.

The game excites me because it totally reminds me of how bad I was when i first picked up Isaac, and how much of the game is about learning skill slowly over time, tempered by a very finicky random factor. Scratches an itch not enough games do for me. In other words, I'm glad I bought it.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
I have well over ninety deaths, and have so far seen the third floor exactly twice, and neither time did I get to the boss room in it.

I'm at the point where I can semi-reliably kill the first floor bosses (though I still die about a quarter of the time and almost never beat them unharmed), but I don't seem to be improving at all over the course of the last fifty-odd runs. I don't think I'm gonna be able to do this one...

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Welp got the game, first attempt made it to the floor before the dragon and got treadnaughted cause I stupidly put my beholster and the fire pike in the muncher and got some other gun. Got the treadnaught down to 1/5th of its health with just a laser rifle and a lot of swearing on 1.5 hearts.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

After dying to a Blobulon while holding the Dark Marker (I was trapped against a table and already almost dead okay), my next run got me like 5 half-hearts of health with no hits before I made it to the Bullet King and I took him down with one full heart remaining. Then I died to an Iron Maiden on the second floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greywords
Oct 17, 2008

Where we're going, we won't need eyes to Select Warp.
This LP got me to pick this game back up. I had already owned it previously due to watching a streamer, but didn't get very far at all. Like, only saw the third floor once ever not very far.

After watching your first few videos, I got the Prime Primer, Arcane Gunpowder, and Planar Lead to the Blacksmith all in one run! Thanks, Scruffy!

• Locked thread