Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Ramin Djawadi is seriously on track to become one of the best TV & Film musicians working today. He's easily in the top 3 if not #1 for TV, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him branch out onto some high profile film projects soon.

I mean he started very good, but if you listen to the Game of Thrones soundtracks up through 1, you can hear his talent growing by leaps and bounds every season. Last season's "Light of the Seven" over there blew everybody away as some of the most fitting and well used music on a show in years.

Then he comes over here and kills it with Westworld too. My only complaint is that I wish there were more cyberpunk sounding songs on the soundtrack too, because he just kills those; maybe next season I'll get my wish.

ED: If for some reason you don't watch Game of Thrones, beware youtub'ing that song because it's attached to massive spoiler after massive spoiler. It also needs to context to truly sell why the music was perfect. So .. do yourself a favor and don't do that.

Interesting...thanks for pointing that out.
When I first heard the West World opening theme I thought sounded a little too Game of Thronesy, but as I got more familiar with it I found it to be very very nice. I had no idea it was the same guy.
Initially I had thought they had deliberately set out to make a GOT like intro song which kind of bummed me...but it has turned out to be better than that. The GOT music is pretty straight forward and robust which I think fits what they are after with that show.

I'm still getting acquainted with the West World music so I can't speak to specifics but what I find really appealing is how flexible the pieces are while still maintaining a contiguous feel. There's a lot of emotion, mystery and weirdness expressed in the West World Music.

Yesterday I was really hung up on the Sweetwater song. It's fantastic and really contributes a great deal to creating the West World space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X35voOs4rQA

edit: I feel like I still haven't explored the music enough to recognize individual recurrent themes but I'm pretty sure they are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Extremely prolific orchestral guys like him and Giacchino worry me but then poo poo like Westworld and Dr. Who happens and I'm like drat maybe they're alright

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

I mastered in Cartoon Feline studies, and I think you'll find

It's not that difficult to connect dots.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I really really like certain tracks from mister djawadi (this world) but then really hate some other ones (MIB). Rewatching got also has made me dislike his got music even more over time except for a few songs

and i've always been kinda lukewarm about the got theme song for some reason

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He also did the music for Warcraft lol

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lol i looked it up and djawadi worked on system shock 2 and thief 2 soundtracks: that's some old school

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Imagine being some wonky music major toiling away in obscurity for peanuts while him and Giacchino score a few videogames and now they're doing poo poo like Star Wars movies hahaha

Edit: Apparently Giacchino is both people in that scenario.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Ramin Djawadi and Bear McCreary are both standout composers. Between the 2 of them they've scored most of my favourite TV shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I dunnol. Djawadi comes up with a handful of good tunes, but then he uses them over and over and over again. Each individual one is great, and whenever a new one turns up it's fantastic, but there's a lot of... well, the musical equivalent of filler, to my ears. Certainly on Game Of Thrones.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
There's a lot of the TV show equivalent of filler in Game of Thrones, too.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

At least they're better than Bear McCreary.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phobophilia posted:

lol i looked it up and djawadi worked on system shock 2 and thief 2 soundtracks: that's some old school

Holy poo poo, that's kind of awesome. System Shock 2 has one hell of a kickin' soundtrack. I didn't even know that.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I'd like to mention Cold Prey because Ingrid Bolsų Berdal is fantastic, and she's in full Armistice mode in the second one.

You have to read subtitles if you want more Ingrid, but outside of that they're pretty much Friday the 13th movies by another name.

Jems
Mar 23, 2005

Duckling, darling.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm more surprised they thought having Felix and Sylvester be in all those scenes together when they're both cat names was a good idea. It's like they gave them temporary names and never changed them.

I'm choosing to believe that this is actually a hint. A big part of me thinks that this is just a new game with a new kind of maze and Maeve has become the new rat. Maybe the Delores never actually "woke" up so she's not the best candidate for actually getting to what Arnold was originally looking for. Felix and Sylvester's actions never -really- bothered me, but Felix does seem TOO eager, and I don't think that either of them are other hosts, but I feel like they've got too much of a good-cop, bad-cop relationship going on to be a coincidence and after Bernard/Arnold said that you could see what the results were from the next steps of Maeve's new "escape" narrative Felix looked pretty suspicious / preoccupied with something in relation to it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Imagine being some wonky music major toiling away in obscurity for peanuts while him and Giacchino score a few videogames and now they're doing poo poo like Star Wars movies hahaha

Edit: Apparently Giacchino is both people in that scenario.

Dr. Strange is a better example. The Rogue One soundtrack was pretty "meh", although I understand that's because he had about 3 weeks to do the whole thing.

Jems posted:

I'm choosing to believe that this is actually a hint. A big part of me thinks that this is just a new game with a new kind of maze and Maeve has become the new rat. Maybe the Delores never actually "woke" up so she's not the best candidate for actually getting to what Arnold was originally looking for. Felix and Sylvester's actions never -really- bothered me, but Felix does seem TOO eager, and I don't think that either of them are other hosts, but I feel like they've got too much of a good-cop, bad-cop relationship going on to be a coincidence and after Bernard/Arnold said that you could see what the results were from the next steps of Maeve's new "escape" narrative Felix looked pretty suspicious / preoccupied with something in relation to it.

I wonder if the bird's name was Tweety.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just started watching this, only two episodes in, but I love it. I'm going back to beginning of the thread after this, so as to avoid spoilers, but I must say that the acting and writing in this show are excellent so far. Hope it goes somewhere.

I don't watch much TV, so when I get into something like this, I like to read both the Goon opinions and Alan Sepinwall's reviews after each episode. However, his first two reviews seem really half assed, liked he was barely watching. He didn't get the fly thing at the end of the first episode, and that was the least subtle thing in the episode by far.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Squashy Nipples posted:

Just started watching this, only two episodes in, but I love it. I'm going back to beginning of the thread after this, so as to avoid spoilers, but I must say that the acting and writing in this show are excellent so far. Hope it goes somewhere.

I don't watch much TV, so when I get into something like this, I like to read both the Goon opinions and Alan Sepinwall's reviews after each episode. However, his first two reviews seem really half assed, liked he was barely watching. He didn't get the fly thing at the end of the first episode, and that was the least subtle thing in the episode by far.
Honestly I would suggest not reading anything at all until you finish the season. The later episodes will pack more punch if you aren't reading speculation the entire time (like most of us did, probably to our detriment).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sepinwall was required reading for me during Mad Men, earlier seasons of GoT, and Breaking Bad. Lately he seems almost checked out -- not the usual level of analysis and thought. Particularly noticeable for Westworld and The OA, which he hated.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

NoDamage posted:

Honestly I would suggest not reading anything at all until you finish the season. The later episodes will pack more punch if you aren't reading speculation the entire time (like most of us did, probably to our detriment).

Yeah I'd second this. I re-watched the series with my sister who didn't read anything online and she was blown away by the big reveal in the finale, which was something I had spoiled for me by people who predicted it in episode two.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
It's the double edged sword of good foreshadowing.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Caufman posted:

I thought it was sloppy that a lot of the songs from the show stole their melodies note-for-note from some famous contemporary hits!

Dude what, listening to a western paint it black during the saloon shootout/safe robbery was sweet!

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Djawadi scored person of interest too which is pretty good IMO.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Jesus Christ the end of this show is excruciatingly slow.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colonial Air Force posted:

Dr. Strange is a better example.

RLM said it best when they called it on having the new Star Trek theme.

I was glad they said something because I thought that nearly the entire movie.

Donnerberg posted:

I'd like to mention Cold Prey because Ingrid Bolsų Berdal is fantastic, and she's in full Armistice mode in the second one.

You have to read subtitles if you want more Ingrid, but outside of that they're pretty much Friday the 13th movies by another name.

She managed to sell almost entirely through acting, while bare rear end naked, that this 100 pound blond girl could rip out your spine and murder your co-worker with it. That's drat impressive, usually it feels totally hollow.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 23, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trabandiumium posted:

Djawadi scored person of interest too which is pretty good IMO.

The last two seasons maybe. The first three were the TV equivalent of elevator music.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Dr. Strange's music was really good

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Dr. Strange's music was really good

actually it was trash

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Blazing Ownager posted:

She managed to sell almost entirely through acting, while bare rear end naked, that this 100 pound blond girl could rip out your spine and murder your co-worker with it. That's drat impressive, usually it feels totally hollow.

Yep, reminded me of the T-1000.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

actually it was trash

Eat my rear end

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

Ramin Djawadi is seriously on track to become one of the best TV & Film musicians working today. He's easily in the top 3 if not #1 for TV, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him branch out onto some high profile film projects soon.

He worked on the first Iron Man, Pacific Rim among other stuff, he has been doing film work for years.

I think Bear McCreary and him are probably the best composers working in TV. My caveat about Bear is that a lot of his recent work is not great. His Battlestar Galactica stuff is incredible for operatic scores and themes that are built on and developed. An example is his Roslin and Adama themes that play out throughout the show. They develop amazingly. His theme for The Sarah Connor Chronicles was the single best thing about that show. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX8PPaoYwLk

As for Ramin Djawadi, this to me is a fantastic example of the music underscoring a scenes themes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AViJIXo5Kbg It's called Two Swords and it's from the beginning of season 4 of Game Of Thrones. Every house in the show has it's own theme and instruments. In this scene it starts with the Stark theme played on their heavy string and then gradually turns into the Lannister theme on the same strings (Their theme being a song about dominating those that defy them.) The scene itself is the Starks family sword being melted and turned into 2 Lannister swords. It's simple enough, but amazing and effective. It builds on the musical language that he has created throughout the show.

Both of these guys construct musical themes for characters, places and emotional themes and then do amazing things with that. It's a method hundreds of years old, but these guys turn what TV soundtracks used to be, which is 4 or 5 different tracks played in the background to legitimate works of art themselves that are as great as any movie soundtrack. These guys are up there with John Williams and Howard Shore as far as I am concerned.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lonos Oboe posted:

I think Bear McCreary and [Ramon Djawadi] are probably the best composers working in TV.

Poor Jeff Beal. So good, so unknown.

He did the music to Rome, Carnivale, Ugly Betty, and does the music for House Of Cards these days. He's far less prolific than the other two, though.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Open Source Idiom posted:

Poor Jeff Beal. So good, so unknown.

He did the music to Rome, Carnivale, Ugly Betty, and does the music for House Of Cards these days. He's far less prolific than the other two, though.

I've made a huge mistake. You are totally right. One thing he does very well is that all his stuff sounds kinda the same. And I mean that in the sense of him having a signature style, like Thomas Newman

Listen to the Rome main theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbd0oIJcOxA

and the Carnivale Main theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Supfg6G0Y

Sound similar, right?

Then check out the the House of Cards main theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zREOQuaqSVk

and the theme from the doc Blackfish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PAtaUOn_Jc (about 2:00 in it really kicks in.)

You can tell they are all by the same dude. He loves his echoey haunting music. He is a fantastic composer and I think the House Of Cards theme is one of the most effective for conveying the theme of the show. I am not judging him for having that particular sound. In fact, working as a small time director. I would put a lot of value in someone who is very consistent in their musical style. But you have to admit, it's an interesting thing to examine. (If you are a turbo-nerd like me.)

To round it off, I gotta say when he hits it, he knocks it out of the park (Episode 1 Carnivale Spoilers)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr_94K0wsIA&t=115s

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Okay, I guess all the plot holes and bad writing (Maeve's whole arc) have been discussed at length, but did Theresa's death annoy anyone else in that she offered absolutely no resistance at all? Like, okay, you probably couldn't fight Bernard but Ford is a weak-rear end old man, gouge his loving eyes out or SOMETHING, ANYTHING other than just admitting defeat.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Subyng posted:

Okay, I guess all the plot holes and bad writing (Maeve's whole arc) have been discussed at length, but did Theresa's death annoy anyone else in that she offered absolutely no resistance at all? Like, okay, you probably couldn't fight Bernard but Ford is a weak-rear end old man, gouge his loving eyes out or SOMETHING, ANYTHING other than just admitting defeat.

I really doubt she had any chance of doing that going by how fast Teddy grabbed the MiB's knife as he pulled it on Ford.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
She was also being dead-eyed murdered by a guy she thought was not only a human being, but one who she had a relationship with. That's a lot to process. She also clearly thinks there's still time to reason with him as he's going all killbot on her.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

She was also being dead-eyed murdered by a guy she thought was not only a human being, but one who she had a relationship with. That's a lot to process. She also clearly thinks there's still time to reason with him as he's going all killbot on her.

This is something I would certainly be behind. It was hosed up and kind of chilling. It would be one thing if it was just a robot that looked like a person you had an intimate relationship with, that would be weird enough. But as a human you would always have that thing in the back of your mind that the affection and connection you had with this actual person (who by all accounts was a sweet and gentle guy at heart) would somehow crack through the "crush, kill destroy" programming.

Anyone who has been in a relationship with someone where you woke up one day and saw a side to them you never expected to see could relate. It's really an extreme version of that and totally believable as to why her first reaction was not to run but a kind of denial.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 28, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sudden realization that Ford will never be punished by what he did to Theresa, he just gets what he wants and the 'leaves' laughing all the way to hell...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ford feels no guilt over what he did to Theresa, because she was yet another of the flawed, evil humans who were going to destroy his noble robots in his mind. The humans were the enemy, he had picked his side years ago.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I also got the impression that Theresa was not the first person he'd had killed, based on the casual air about the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I suppose we don't know for sure that Ford felt no guilt for the violent actions he committed, this entire time he was plotting his suicide after all. In some way he must have felt that he deserved to die. That said, he's probably straight up a sociopath and seemed to take great delight in achieving his violent goals at the expense of others.

• Locked thread