Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Javid posted:

Weird issue somebody here might know the answer to:

My 5x on 7.1.1 has a really awesome feature where, if connected to a wifi network it detects doesn't have internet access, it routes all traffic through the cellular connection instead. 99% of the time this is extremely helpful.

BUT

I have one app that this fucks up; it's to control the camera on a drone by connecting to its wireless AP. This AP obviously has no internet, so when I connect to it the phone goes *frrt* and ignores it, so the app can't connect to the device. I have to go into airplane mode to get it to work at all, and then I have no internet for anything else.

Is it possible to force this one app to always use wifi regardless of internet connectivity?
I could have sworn there was a setting for this in the wifi section, but I'm not finding it on my pixel. 🙁

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

You don't really permanently pair it with the device. It just uses the low energy BT standard to do an ad-hoc connection, initiated entirely from within the phone's app and forgets it afterward.

This is the lock:
http://us.allegion.com/IRSTDocs/DataSheet/110409.pdf

Your bad phone continues to be bad. But at least you got a sweet user title out of it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Yep, people keep trying to claim Touchwhiz isn't still poo poo because they allegedly toned it down but the truth is that it's still poo poo.

Looking at the latest iteration of it, on the Note 7/Nougat beta, it's very toned down, and indeed still poo poo even after that. Just because someone is saying they've drastically toned it down, which is true, doesn't mean it's also not still poo poo, which is also true.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

Looking at the latest iteration of it, on the Note 7/Nougat beta, it's very toned down, and indeed still poo poo even after that. Just because someone is saying they've drastically toned it down, which is true, doesn't mean it's also not still poo poo, which is also true.

Close, on the note 7 it was hot poo poo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Close, on the note 7 it was hot poo poo.

[Explosion joke here]

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

ilkhan posted:

I could have sworn there was a setting for this in the wifi section, but I'm not finding it on my pixel. 🙁

There definitely was a setting - "avoid poor/weak connections" under wifi. I'm not seeing it on my 5x now either. They must have moved or removed it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Internet Explorer posted:

There definitely was a setting - "avoid poor/weak connections" under wifi. I'm not seeing it on my 5x now either. They must have moved or removed it.

It's over in developer options on my Pixel.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

azurite posted:

It's over in developer options on my Pixel.

It's called "aggressive wi-fi to celluar handover"

You can also select "cellular data always active"

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I got a pixel a while based on this threads recommendation and it's really an incredible device, but I am having a weird issue with it.

Apps seem to refresh or reloaded randomly, for example a couple times while reading a thread with Awful it will reload the page. Also does it in Chrome and Instagram.

It's a new phone with nothing really installed yet, and I haven't tweaked any settings.

Anyone else getting this or have heard of this?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pympede posted:

I got a pixel a while based on this threads recommendation and it's really an incredible device, but I am having a weird issue with it.

Apps seem to refresh or reloaded randomly, for example a couple times while reading a thread with Awful it will reload the page. Also does it in Chrome and Instagram.

It's a new phone with nothing really installed yet, and I haven't tweaked any settings.

Anyone else getting this or have heard of this?

I occasionally experience this as it auto updates the app, I believe.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I have auto updates turned off through the play store.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maybe check the memory page in settings and see if anything is using an unusual amount

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
My pixel has started doing this thing where the volume drops intermittently when I have headphones plugged in. I haven't installed any new apps and I'm using the same headphones I always do. Why is this happening help me make it stop happening

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Doesn't android lower the volume when you plug in headphones so you don't blow your ears out

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Blue Train posted:

Doesn't android lower the volume when you plug in headphones so you don't blow your ears out

Android has seperate volume settings for when you have an output plugged in a and when you don't. It's probably returning to the volume setting it had when you last unplugged the headphones.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

gently caress Whitey posted:

My pixel has started doing this thing where the volume drops intermittently when I have headphones plugged in. I haven't installed any new apps and I'm using the same headphones I always do. Why is this happening help me make it stop happening

That happened on my 6P from time to time. And when I tried to make the volume back to where it was a warning message would pop up saying that higher volumes could damage my ears.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Same but on bluetooth. It seems like there's a notification or something that it's lowering the music for but I don't have any notifications.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Nitrousoxide posted:

Android has seperate volume settings for when you have an output plugged in a and when you don't. It's probably returning to the volume setting it had when you last unplugged the headphones.

No, I mean it will turn the volume down while I'm listening to things until it's inaudible, I'll turn it back up, and it'll do it again ten minutes later

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Are you getting the volume bar when the sound lowers?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

The Duggler posted:

Are you getting the volume bar when the sound lowers?

Yes

I can literally watch the bar go down step by step. If it happens when nothing's playing it just fucks with my notification volume

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My Pixel will lower the volume of the speaker when I watch YouTube videos. Like every 10 seconds the volume drops to where I can barely hear and then comes back after 2 seconds.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
That's weird as hell. Have any of you chatted with support?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Yes

I can literally watch the bar go down step by step. If it happens when nothing's playing it just fucks with my notification volume

Have you tried different headphones? Is it possible that there is some strange interaction happening between the phone and those headphones where the phone thinks the headphones have volume control buttons and VolDown is being pushed? Just a shot in the dark but I don't know what else it could be.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Have you tried different headphones? Is it possible that there is some strange interaction happening between the phone and those headphones where the phone thinks the headphones have volume control buttons and VolDown is being pushed? Just a shot in the dark but I don't know what else it could be.

Tried two pairs of the same type of headphone, plus a couple old pairs of earpods I had lying around. No idea what's going on

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

RVProfootballer posted:

That's weird as hell. Have any of you chatted with support?

I only use my earbuds at work, and im busy and can't call, and then I forget until I use them again

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Yes

Probably a dumb question, but could something be pushing the volume rocker and/or could the volume rocker be stuck? Maybe your case (if you have one) is seated weird and sometimes pressed volume down?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Had a bit of an oddity earlier on my Nexus 7 2013 where it kept demanding a PIN to cast to a nearby device and wouldn't take no for an answer. Rebooting seems to have sorted it, but is this a known thing at all?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tried two pairs of the same type of headphone, plus a couple old pairs of earpods I had lying around. No idea what's going on

Try cleaning out your headphone port. Maybe something is causing an intermittent short

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

Had a bit of an oddity earlier on my Nexus 7 2013 where it kept demanding a PIN to cast to a nearby device and wouldn't take no for an answer. Rebooting seems to have sorted it, but is this a known thing at all?

Go into the Home app and verify the device you're casting to doesn't have guest PINs turned on. Really though I'm sure it doesn't and in practice Chromecast poo poo just has weird and unpredictable failure states. Anymore I just accept that sometimes they're hosed up in weird ways with no obvious way to reset things.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bull3964 posted:

It's January people. A new Pixel is at least 9 months or more away. You're going to poison yourself with all the salt you have to take with current rumors.

My speculation is that Google with releases a waterproof flexible smartphone with dual SD835. Your can cut it in half if you want and share it with another person to split cost.

Put me down for zero water resistance and a two year chassis refresh cycle. :unsmigghh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Still on 7.0 on my Nexus 6. The whole thing about Nexus phones getting timely updates is complete bullshit. It took forever to get 7 in the first place. gently caress google.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Still on 7.0 on my Nexus 6. The whole thing about Nexus phones getting timely updates is complete bullshit. It took forever to get 7 in the first place. gently caress google.

I hear iPhones don't have this problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Have at it. It was posted on January 6.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Did you buy from a carrier? Apparently AT&T recently released the January security update, but not 7.1.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought it unlocked from Amazon directly, not a reseller. I've been on T-Mobile on the $30 nerd plan if that makes a difference.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought it unlocked from Amazon directly, not a reseller. I've been on T-Mobile on the $30 nerd plan if that makes a difference.

If you're going to flash the OTA you should probably hurry before a security update puts you on a different update path.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Have a friends phone, digitizer is hosed and its gone totally black. He wants his texts recovered before he sends it off for warranty replacement, its a S6. Works aside from the screen. Whats the best way for me to recover them? Googling yields a few programs I can try but they dont all look very reputable.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Samsung smart switch for Windows is your best bet.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

USB file transfer is not allowed :D and as I cant see or do anything on the screen...

Actually it seems touch is working but its just a black abyss of eternal limbo so its going to take some blind tapping I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

codo27 posted:

USB file transfer is not allowed :D and as I cant see or do anything on the screen...

Actually it seems touch is working but its just a black abyss of eternal limbo so its going to take some blind tapping I guess.

My guess is USB Debugging needs to be on, or at least some notification has to be tapped to enable file transfer mode.

Your best bet is to get someone with an S6 to walk you through the tapping on their phone I guess.