Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

AriadneThread posted:

if there it is, it's probably written by the british

Nah, U.S. Have you seen the last few CoD games? We are the loving masters at making ourselves look like the victims even while dropping tactical nukes on desert villages.

gently caress, the entire primes of the Homefront series is that North Korea (yes, that one) has conquered China, Japan, and most of the U.S., and you gotta fight back!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Skippy McPants posted:

Bioware was never going to be making the Iliad. They're much better off just embracing the campy bullshit that makes them popular.

As I said, not saying I don't like it, but there's a different art direction there. Original trilogy ME3 was trying for as close to photo-realistic as possible to the point that they leant into quite dull hairstyles, outfits, weaponry etc to keep a realistic feel, it's partly why Kai Leng feels so out of place. Until then the most distinctive character design was probably Jack and she's fairly normal looking really (and also the best looking character, possibly related).

With this it's bones on armour, distinctive hair styles, hint-of-cartoonish faces for the Ryders. I hope it's a new style they are leaning into and not just really inconsistent assets.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think it's bad when they change things for a sequel, and also when they don't.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

With this it's bones on armour, distinctive hair styles, hint-of-cartoonish faces for the Ryders. I hope it's a new style they are leaning into and not just really inconsistent assets.

The original ME was trying to be fairly hard Sci-fi, both regarding world building and visual aesthetic. Every game since has drifted steadily further from that starting point into "rule of cool" territory, so this feels like a pretty natural continuation to me.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

The original ME was trying to be fairly hard Sci-fi, both regarding world building and visual aesthetic. Every game since has drifted steadily further from that starting point into "rule of cool" territory, so this feels like a pretty natural continuation to me.

The original Mass Effect was trying to be fairly hard sci-fi in the same way that Indiana Jones was trying to be a historical documentary.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

marktheando posted:

The original Mass Effect was trying to be fairly hard sci-fi in the same way that Indiana Jones was trying to be a historical documentary.

kinda disagree, the codex pretty much explains the underlying :science: behind mass effect fields, element zero and biotics to where it had the sheen of plausibility, which is what i think hard sci fi should do.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Bud K ninja sword posted:

kinda disagree, the codex pretty much explains the underlying :science: behind mass effect fields, element zero and biotics to where it had the sheen of plausibility, which is what i think hard sci fi should do.

Thats like saying Star Trek is hard Sci fi because it has technobabble

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I did say 'fairly'. The basic setup for any Sci-fi is "imagine BLANK existed." In the case of Mass Effect, BLANK is Eezo. Beyond that initial conceit, they put in quite a bit of effort playing lip service to how physics and technology work. It's no Andy Weir novel, but I'd argue that Mass Effect is a cut above something like Star Trek, at least in regard to the first game.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dude there are magic powers and wizards in Mass Effect.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Hard science fiction takes a few unusual premises as given, then develops them to see the ultimate logical conclusion of those premises applied to a world like our own. For example, the end result of eezo 'mass' technology is psychic blue lesbian space babes. It's axiomatic!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It's hard sci-fi because Shepard is always hard from loving all the humanoid aliens that have similar enough sex organs for it to happen

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
element zero allows the manipulation of mass and gravity fields.

as these things really are still unicorns in actual physics, it adds an element of plausibility. far out? sure but still grounded in actual science, hell quantum entanglement fields are actually a thing and may be used in the near future and they defy the laws of contemporary physics :shrug:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

marktheando posted:

Dude there are magic powers and wizards in Mass Effect.

I never said there weren't? My only point is that ME 1 went further out of its way to justify itself than popular Sci-fi tends to.

Lt. Danger posted:

Hard science fiction takes a few unusual premises as given, then develops them to see the ultimate logical conclusion of those premises applied to a world like our own. For example, the end result of eezo 'mass' technology is psychic blue lesbian space babes. It's axiomatic!

Look, you want to be pedantic about the 'hard' modifier, that's fine, but don't try and tell me that the natural end point of all human endeavor isn't "can I gently caress it?" If there aren't blue space lesbian's out them somewhere, you can be drat sure we'll make our own.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hard sci-fi means sci fi with realistic science. So no magic powers, no faster than light travel, no fuckable alien babes.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

*boring as heck dry narrator voice* When scientist Lukas Eezo first passed an electric current through the mysterious glowing mineral, little did he know that in less than forty years time, his discovery would lead to a robot-bird man flying a hoverboard around the headquarters of the space United Nations

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

marktheando posted:

Hard sci-fi means sci fi with realistic science. So no magic powers, no faster than light travel, no fuckable alien babes.

:colbert: black hole gravitational fields exceed the speed of light, as well as quantum entangled particles.

i'll concede the fuckable alien babes part.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
ME1's codex looked like "hard sci fi" to me because of all the attention paid to charge buildup and heat management, but this never came up in game.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

ME1's codex looked like "hard sci fi" to me because of all the attention paid to charge buildup and heat management, but this never came up in game.

The worst thing about Andromeda is that the Codex voiceover man isn't returning :(

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

marktheando posted:

The worst thing about Andromeda is that the Codex voiceover man isn't returning :(

He isn't? What the gently caress?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Skippy McPants posted:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah. Booo.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

marktheando posted:

preorder canceled

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They said there was too much codex but I think that's a load of dogshit. I'd happily swap discs if it meant being able to listen to his wonderful voice talking about space elves or something.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

marktheando posted:

They said there was too much codex but I think that's a load of dogshit. I'd happily swap discs if it meant being able to listen to his wonderful voice talking about space elves or something.

it wasn't even like he voiced all the codex entries anyway, just the "Important" ones.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Vitamin P posted:

I'm not saying it's bad or even that I don't like it, but this looks like a saturday morning cartoon show.

Honestly I miss Saturday Morning Toons enough to want to play a game that is one. But I doubt this is going to be it without the full Burger King Kids Club of every type of player there could be.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Tfw your besty shows up in the same ceremonial shaman gown

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Something about male Ryder's default model bugs me, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. Maybe it's just that he's not dude Shep. In ME 1, Mark Vanderloo's face gave the default Shepard a huge leg up on anything you were likely to spit out with the character creator, and now in ME:A that contrast in lacking. I dunno, Ryder just looks kinda milquetoast.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Tbh he looks like Cullen from Dragon Age Inquisition

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

marktheando posted:

lmao yeah guys we'd need an additional blu ray to hold all that dialogue. What the gently caress, are they just going with completely uncompressed sound files? They are idiots.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DancingShade posted:

All the relays blew up, the citadel blew up and the fleeing ships were all caught in the blastwave which was galaxy wide.

I love how many people in this thread have mentally retconned the ME3 ending into "oh they're fine, everything is fine, shepard and liara had blue babies and everything is fine" while they rock back and forth in the darkened room of denial.

The Mass Effect relays didn't blow up, they just sorta disassembled. The Blast Wave was also less destructive - because you'd have seen it destroy poeple on the planets it traveled through - and more "anything with reaper tech will get hosed. Since Nomrandy 2 had reapertech, they were trying to avoid it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hedrigall posted:

Garrus is more mandible than you can handible

:discourse:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

#SquadGoals

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Skippy McPants posted:

Something about male Ryder's default model bugs me, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. Maybe it's just that he's not dude Shep. In ME 1, Mark Vanderloo's face gave the default Shepard a huge leg up on anything you were likely to spit out with the character creator, and now in ME:A that contrast in lacking. I dunno, Ryder just looks kinda milquetoast.

He looks like most of the male human inquisitors ever made so they've really condensed them all down into Pretty Brown Haired Shooter Guy.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

nerdz posted:

It's hard sci-fi because Shepard is always hard from loving all the humanoid aliens that have similar enough sex organs for it to happen

yeah just one time i'd like shepard to be the cautionary tale against interspecies sex. shepard is never even sure if there's like, i dunno, some kind of latching mechanism or surprisingly acidic fluids leaking out. we had the one with the ardat-yakshi where you just died, but never anything that made shepard come out and say "okay, unrestricted sex with aliens is pretty stupid considering my torn up tackle."

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Drifter posted:

The Mass Effect relays didn't blow up, they just sorta disassembled. The Blast Wave was also less destructive - because you'd have seen it destroy poeple on the planets it traveled through - and more "anything with reaper tech will get hosed. Since Nomrandy 2 had reapertech, they were trying to avoid it.

i mean, i know bioware ignores their lore because gently caress consistency, but all FTL travel in the ME universe is reaper tech. that's why they couldn't just point a ship at a reaper and hit the "gently caress you button" and kamikaze their way outta being harvested. the FTL tech didn't let you go unless you had a clear path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

My word, Ryder! That renegade action was dreadfully rash!