Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Poil posted:

Anyone following Kuzu no Honkai this season? It's about a highschool girl who's crushing on her neighbor/teacher and meets a guy in another class who is crushing on his former tutor/teacher and they decide to be each others substitutes. I've watched the current three episodes and I'm not sure about it. On one hand part of me want to keep watching but on the other it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I'm watching it because I hate myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

e:

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 27, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
WAIT IS KURAGEHIME BACK YET

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Anime: no
manga: hasn't updated since 6/8/2016 it looks like

:negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll stop watching it. Really glad I decided to ask instead of waiting and seeing what happens.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, this is the song from the most recent chapter of Slow Motion, Mou Ichido: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIsHm45Wj54

Around :10 at the beginning is the line she had trouble with and kept repeating, though I'm not sure why from listening to it.

I can kinda see why she was embarrassed at the guy walking in on her singing it, haha.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm mostly interested in learning about romance manga clearly written in a way where both male and female readers will frequently find a member of the core couple appealing.

Not sure if really exists since romance tends to vary towards women readers and I've yet to see a romance 100% focus shounen series other than we must save the princess theme. Eh, not be hard on shoujo but for most people I feel like more relationships on somewhat shallow like Bob is rich, handsome, and loves cats which appeals to a huge audience vs Bob is my intellectual equal and our hobbies are coding/video games :v:

Kuroyama posted:

A lot of shoujo manga are drawn by women and a lot of shounen manga are drawn by men, and they draw people in the ways that appeal to them for the most part. Characters like Sasuke, Todoroki, and Bakugou appeal to women mainly for their "bad boy"/"I can fix him" charms.

There's a huge appeal for male characters who are less than kind characters not always because "bad boy" idea but it's more allowed for them to be arrogant vs female characters in series. Even in series where it's aimed in shoujo/josei there's a pushback if she's not as expected as to be polite/friendly towards others.

DisDisDis posted:

I would date both the leads from Jellyfish Princess, but some people might not, if they're shallow and can't appreciate a good man in a pretty dress

I wish the manga-ka would return from her hiatus :sigh:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Not sure if really exists since romance tends to vary towards women readers and I've yet to see a romance 100% focus shounen series other than we must save the princess theme. Eh, not be hard on shoujo but for most people I feel like more relationships on somewhat shallow like Bob is rich, handsome, and loves cats which appeals to a huge audience vs Bob is my intellectual equal and our hobbies are coding/video games :v:

Well, shounen romance does exist, but it tends to be more focused on boobs than the drama (though there are exceptions). One example of a male targeted romance that isn't a harem series is that Kanojo wa Rokorokubi manga. It's obviously written with with the (heterosexual) male eye in mind.

Alder posted:

I wish the manga-ka would return from her hiatus :sigh:

She's been doing a ton of other series, though I didn't realize she had on on hiatus for Jellyfish. I think she even does multiple series at once possible? She works at an incredibly pace.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 28, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

She's been doing a ton of other series, though I didn't realize she had on on hiatus for Jellyfish. I think she even does multiple series at once possible? She works at an incredibly pace.

Hachimitsu Scans mentioned she's been on hiatus since Jan 2016 and that vol 17 is will likely final vol in the series. However she does have a new series called Yukibana no Tora which is a alt historical fiction.

Ytlaya posted:

Well, shounen romance does exist, but it tends to be more focused on boobs than the drama (though there are exceptions). One example of a male targeted romance that isn't a harem series is that Kanojo wa Rokorokubi manga. It's obviously written with with the (heterosexual) male eye in mind.

Eh isn't that a romantic comedy? I feel like there could be a ton of harem series but I don't read them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There are enough shounen harem series to blot out the sun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Hachimitsu Scans mentioned she's been on hiatus since Jan 2016 and that vol 17 is will likely final vol in the series. However she does have a new series called Yukibana no Tora which is a alt historical fiction.

Isn't she also currently writing that Tokyo Tarareba Musume manga?

Alder posted:

Eh isn't that a romantic comedy? I feel like there could be a ton of harem series but I don't read them.

Kinda, but a lot (probably most) of romance manga also have comedy elements, and that includes shoujo as well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The other really awful thing shounen romance does is lay on the drama and tragedy with the most hammy of hands, I guess because you have to in order to wrench out teenage boy emotions by force.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

I'm not exactly sure where to put this, but I put it here anyways. Any reccommendations for high society/court romance? Reading palace meidi and shirayuki made me want more. I saw this one http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/ookami-heika-no-hanayome-r1256 and it was cute and fluffy, wondering if anyone else has recs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything Burrito posted:

The other really awful thing shounen romance does is lay on the drama and tragedy with the most hammy of hands, I guess because you have to in order to wrench out teenage boy emotions by force.

Making teenagers depressed is like shooting fish in a barrel

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Luckily for the shounen romance writers, I am a giant adult ball of emotional complexes who breaks into tears at the slightest nudging

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

here, an example of an equal romance i thought of in 3 seconds
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/soushi-souai-liberum-r16838

terrible translation tho

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Alder posted:

Not sure if really exists since romance tends to vary towards women readers and I've yet to see a romance 100% focus shounen series other than we must save the princess theme.

Hatsukoi Limited was romance-focused and not save-the-princess. It wasn't harem, either, since there were a bunch of male protags and the relationships were mostly one-on-one (except for a couple guys being into the older girl next door, who was actually going with someone else iirc).

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

this boy and this girl are both highly dateable

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I agree, Prunus Girl is good.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I don't remember, did they ever explain what the Prunus in the title was for? I know it's the English name for the type of trees that Japanese cherry blossom trees fall into, but I'm not sure what the significance is. I vaguely recall maybe it being mentioned, or not.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've read it twice and I have no idea. I didn't know what a prunus was at the time though so maybe didn't pick up on it because of that

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Isn't it a pun based on the fact that trees in the Prunus genus all have fruits with stones in them, what with Japanese humor/comedy being what it is (ie. full of puns as seen in both manzai and rakugo)? That's what I always assumed, since I know prunus trees grow plums, cherries and apricots as my parents had such trees in their yard when I was a kid.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 29, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think it's because if you squint it almost looks like penis

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

Isn't it a pun based on the fact that trees in the Prunus genus all have fruits with stones in them, what with Japanese humor/comedy being what it is (ie. full of puns as seen in both manzai and rakugo)? That's what I always assumed, since I know prunus trees grow plums, cherries and apricots as my parents had such trees in their yard when I was a kid.

Could be, but I feel like the average Japanese person who goes to look up what プラナス means is going to focus on the connection to sakura/cherry blossom trees (the prunus genus is the sakura genus in Japanese) which don't grow edible fruit, so I feel like that's probably only one of multiple reasons at best. A bunch of googling in Japanese just came up with one blog post that mentions how "as the 'prunus' in the title suggests, it begins and ends in the season of sakura (i.e. spring)".

I'm thinking my current guess is that it's a reference to like a gender swapped version of the popular-in-Japan phrase cherry boy, since people will look up プラナス, see it's English for sakura (the genus), think "oh sakura in English is usually cherry," then go "oh cherry girl, like cherry boy, I get it." It's worth noting that the "girl" in Prunus Girl is in English originally as well; if it were like musume or something the association would be a lot weaker.

I have no idea why I spent so much time on this.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm glad you did

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

I'm glad you did

I did find this very informative image that went with the author's comment on a certain chapter: "I got to draw a lot of Aikawa's collarbone and armpit fold↓ for the second chapter in a row, so personally I'm quite happy."

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I was wondering, are there any heterosexual romance manga that are sort of "neutral" in terms of intended audience, in the sense that the guy and the girl are a sort of realistic pair (like an attractive girl interested in an attractive guy, etc)?

Ore Monogatari?

Girl and guy are both absolute cutey sweethearts.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

z0glin Warchief posted:

I did find this very informative image that went with the author's comment on a certain chapter: "I got to draw a lot of Aikawa's collarbone and armpit fold↓ for the second chapter in a row, so personally I'm quite happy."

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/ayuzu_s/status/798872996798599168

someone TL the description of my other fujo mom Scarlet Beriko's collaboration with this faceless twink twitter model

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

https://twitter.com/ayuzu_s/status/798872996798599168

someone TL the description of my other fujo mom Scarlet Beriko's collaboration with this faceless twink twitter model

It's announcing the cover image for their second BL pose collection book, plus that it's got a Japanese traditional clothes theme and will go on sale 12/9/2016.

The first one is on amazon here and the second here.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
so it's like, a figure reference book for yaoi?

hell yeah

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be honest, I always felt like Prunus Girl was just like any other typical shounen romance, except based around a "guy dressed as a girl" fetish (I can't remember if Aikawa is actually trans or if he just likes dressing as a girl, but I think it was the latter?). It doesn't really treat the subject matter seriously and just consists of Aikawa teasing the protagonist and the protagonist going "but he's a guy!" a bunch.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
With regards to the crossdressing, it's fun and humorous about it without being mean spirited toward the character or voyeuristic like a lot of series with that element. Their teasing dynamic is kind of like... Aikawa straight forwardly coming on to Maki and Maki going "what no I'm not into him" but still hanging out with him literally all the time and the rest of the cast rolling their eyes and going "yeah, you're dating." Maybe because I was pretty in denial for a while as a teen I find it really endearing. There's also two good lesbian side couples one of which is two cool and supportive adults watching over the big group of idiot teens. And they get into incredibly ridiculous Ranma style hijinks which isn't something I haven't seen in any other m/m romance. I love love love stuff like Funeral Parade of Roses and find the negative attitude some people in here have toward any (gay) romance that isn't completely saccharine and simple pretty annoying but as A Gay it's nice to read something where the kids are all happy and the grown ups are supportive of them and get up to all the dumb poo poo you'd see in, well, straight shounen romance.
My biggest problem is that even though they're an idiot couple for most of it they only officially get together in the last chapter and then it ends.
I love drag and cross dressing as much as I love bara stuff (a lot) so ymmv on that element

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 30, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I just got SO confused about Funeral Parade of Roses and thought I fell into Cinema Discusso. Turns out there's a manga! Don't know what, if anything, it has to do with the 1969 film though.

vv reading more, it appears to be loosely Shakespeare based and there's only a few translated chapters, I just wasn't expecting you to change gears to film :toot:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 30, 2017

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I'm talking about the film but poo poo, I'll read the manga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSKxZBSY01I

Here's the trailer for the unitiated

e: yeah it's like my golden example for good media where gay characters are (as individuals) portrayed negatively and bad things happen to them. I don't think there's a manga like that I feel as strongly about plus I saw it pretty recently so I can't shut up about it. (Hedwig was pretty formative for me too but idk if it's problematic or not) The comic with Anonymous' gay club house I forget the name of and Octave come to mind.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 30, 2017

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
http://bato.to/reader#23969e2930198fed

In today's Kaguya, Kashiwagi is all of us.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm catching up with the last few chapters of Kaguya, and the part where Shirogane's imagining people reacting to him cutting the fish and Kaguya randomly appears in the doorway with the "How cute..." was hilarious. I feel like that joke may have worked even better in a setting where it wouldn't make any sense for her to be nearby. Like Shirogane is on a train or something and Kaguya appears through the window of an adjacent train saying "How cute..."

Also the part in the preceding chapter where he says sex comes on the 5th date and Kaguya just passes out on the spot.

edit: This manga is going to end with Shirogane realizing he should date Fujiwara instead because she is the one he actually feels comfortable talking to about things.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 31, 2017

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

edit: This manga is going to end with Shirogane realizing he should date Fujiwara instead because she is the one he actually feels comfortable talking to about things.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I found myself in a shoujo manga:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I feel like kaguya has become less about rear end in a top hat mindgames and more about goofy denial lately. Still pretty funny, but it's like the original premise got lost somewhere.