Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Monthly cycle only though; you can only set the changeover date.

Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My android data counter must include wifi or something because it says I'm well over 6gb while bell says I'm under 4.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
You should be able to toggle between them.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mine doesn't look like that... Pixel XL unlocked

Guess when I injured myself at work and got stuck at a desk job :(

Bell says 5.51 between my wife and I.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, Pixel XL looks different

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I joined Chatr today because I'm an insufferably cheap bastard who needs to talk a lot on the phone in the near future and whose nameless Chinese android phone limits them to Wind/Freedom or the Rogers 2G/3G network.

Its not bad. Setup was easy and I get a bunch of monthly service credits just for handing over a credit card number and giving Rogers the power to inflate my bill with nonsense chargers rather than prepay.

Oh and Rogers Corporate stores don't carry Chatr sim cards because I guess they don't want filthy Chatr customers ever to have cause to enter their brightly lit shrines to the iphone and galaxy phone that dot Yonge street. The snobs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gotta maintain the illusion of competition, friend.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Mister Macys posted:

Gotta maintain the illusion of competition, friend.

There isn't even an illusion anymore

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Speaking of competition, I ported my parents to freephoneline voip. $100 cad for lifetime service, I'll find out if I'm ahead in 2 years.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anyone know anything about cell boosters? I can get signal in my bedroom window so I have to use speakerphone or a bluetooth headset to talk to anyone and texting is so inconvenient. Looking at some on amazon for ~$150 or less and wondering if it would be worth it. 1700mhz band for Koodo/telus right?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

codo27 posted:

Anyone know anything about cell boosters? I can get signal in my bedroom window so I have to use speakerphone or a bluetooth headset to talk to anyone and texting is so inconvenient. Looking at some on amazon for ~$150 or less and wondering if it would be worth it. 1700mhz band for Koodo/telus right?

Semi-related long-shot, but do you have a iPhone 6 or newer? Telus supports iOS native Wifi calling now, but you have to turn it on. Fixed all my cell-dead-zone @ home problems.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Can anybody recommend a legit unlock service online or a store in Vancouver area? I saw a place in an Asian mall today that charges $80 to unlock a phone. :shepface:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

waxluthor posted:

Can anybody recommend a legit unlock service online or a store in Vancouver area? I saw a place in an Asian mall today that charges $80 to unlock a phone. :shepface:

Unlock or jailbreak/root? You can get unlock codes online for like $10-20 and do it yourself.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Dillbag posted:

Unlock or jailbreak/root? You can get unlock codes online for like $10-20 and do it yourself.

You should have offered to do it for $75.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Just unlock, any specific site you have used before you can recommend? I know there are tons of different sites but all look kind of shady.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

waxluthor posted:

Just unlock, any specific site you have used before you can recommend? I know there are tons of different sites but all look kind of shady.

If it's not an iPhone just go on ebay and find the cheapest code. I've unlocked at least 6 phones that way, probably more, and I've never had a problem.

If it *is* an iPhone, well, enjoy getting hosed up the rear end because it's going to be expensive regardless of where you go.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Nope not an iPhone, it's a HTC one... thing or another.

Sweet, thanks!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
MTS has a policy where if you are travelling outside North America they will unlock your phone for free. They don't ask for any proof so I used it to unlock my iPhone, not sure if Robelus does the same thing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DariusLikewise posted:

MTS has a policy where if you are travelling outside North America they will unlock your phone for free. They don't ask for any proof so I used it to unlock my iPhone, not sure if Robelus does the same thing.

$50

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I finally got RCS on my Rogers Pixel XL with Google Messenger. Is this coming to other carriers/platforms? It would totally solve the need to force friends to get hangouts, imessage etc etc

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

RCS security is garbage so I hope it doesn't catch on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Evis posted:

RCS security is garbage so I hope it doesn't catch on.

Got some links? I haven't read anything about the protocol, I'm super curious

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

CLAM DOWN posted:

Got some links? I haven't read anything about the protocol, I'm super curious

The spec is available from the GSMA. It's deliberately vulnerable to interception to comply with laws regarding carriers. Apps like say WhatsApp or Signal have no such requirement.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Reddit /canada is peeing itself over not getting SMS messages on Rogers/Fido in Ontario that contain on the word "uber"

Looks like rogers was running some clumsy analytics that kills the message in the middle of its market research in selling the contents of your SMS to companies that want to target you for ad buys, or more likely, Edward Rogers Jr. owns a bunch of taxicab medallions.

I hope the outcome of this blows up and hurts them.

It wont, but I can hope.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sorry you don't live in a city where taxi service works, but gently caress Uber.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mister Macys posted:

Sorry you don't live in a city where taxi service works, but gently caress Uber.

substitute any non-triggering word you like for 'uber' and share my glee Macys.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lord knows I want Rogers destroyed as much as the next guy, but I'm a pro-worker leftist first, a demagogue second.

And seriously, I have zero complaints about taxi service in London; they arrive fast, they're affordable even at my poo poo pay, they're all polite, and they take debit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Reddit /canada is peeing itself over not getting SMS messages on Rogers/Fido in Ontario that contain on the word "uber"

Looks like rogers was running some clumsy analytics that kills the message in the middle of its market research in selling the contents of your SMS to companies that want to target you for ad buys, or more likely, Edward Rogers Jr. owns a bunch of taxicab medallions.

I hope the outcome of this blows up and hurts them.

It wont, but I can hope.

Lmao this is absolutely amazing. I despise Uber and I live in Vancouver where taxis are awful, gently caress Uber so hard but man this is beautiful. I hope Rogers feels pain from this.

e: I've used Uber and Lyft in the states too, I think they're insanely convenient services and I think I'm pro-Lyft since they treat their "employees" a lot better and aren't scum like uber

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Macys posted:

gently caress Uber.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I guess I should be using Signal or something similar.

I just don't like that anyone who knows my number can tell if I use it or not.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's literally impossible to get all my friends to switch to a new app, like Whatsapp Allo Signal Telegram Hangouts idgaf which app it is it's just impossible. SMS is the only universal standard across all platforms and users :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's literally impossible to get all my friends to switch to a new app, like Whatsapp Allo Signal Telegram Hangouts idgaf which app it is it's just impossible. SMS is the only universal standard across all platforms and users :(

What's wrong with sms? Isn't its compatibility across every app and phone brand that supports it a good thing?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

What's wrong with sms? Isn't its compatibility across every app and phone brand that supports it a good thing?

Look up?

shadow puppet of a posted:

Don't like the idea of companies reading/analyzing SMS.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They're preventing me from getting spam? Win-win.

Rogers doesn't give a gently caress if you talk about your anime statues or favorite Smash character.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

It's insecure and unreliable (works like UDP instead of TCP if that makes sense), and does not support media or rich text content (like WhatsApp Allo Hangouts RCS etc etc etc)

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I bought an edge 7 off of Newegg and couldn't figure out why it was flat out refusing to attach any file over 300kb to a SMS message. Turns out the phone is a SE Asia model that's hard locked to 300kb and below, which I only found out when the girl at the Samsung store recognized it as the only model with a dual SIM. Now my collection of hilarious and annoying 500-999kb animated jiffs are unusable, so ya gently caress SMS forever.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Macys posted:

Rogers doesn't give a gently caress if you talk about your anime statues or favorite Smash character.
For now. They're coming for you sick anime creeps next. Mark my words.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:iamafag:
I want a "come and take it" flag now, but with Hatsune Miku, or something. :haw:

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's insecure and unreliable (works like UDP instead of TCP if that makes sense), and does not support media or rich text content (like WhatsApp Allo Hangouts RCS etc etc etc)

Can you clarify what you mean by media? I can already directly send and receive video and picture files just fine without resorting to imgur/YouTube/etc.

Also, what would be the purpose of adding rich text support? Are journalists texting entire articles to their editors? Genuinely curious. It sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Can you clarify what you mean by media? I can already directly send and receive video and picture files just fine without resorting to imgur/YouTube/etc.

Also, what would be the purpose of adding rich text support? Are journalists texting entire articles to their editors? Genuinely curious. It sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

Do you use WhatsApp/Hangouts/Allo/iMessage? It's all those features I'm referring to. Everything from full res images (MMS does not count) to group chats to read indicators, encryption, etc. I misspoke, did not mean rich text content, meant rich communication features like the aforementioned items, sorry. It's definitely not a solution looking for a problem, if it was, all those other apps wouldn't need to exist. SMS is objectively insecure and unreliable, not to mention limited in features, you can't exactly argue against that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hangouts. It was on my Nexus 5 when I bought it, and I thought that was the default text app (my first smartphone) at the time, before I started lurking the Android thread and reading the AP site.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 6, 2017