Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I can kinda see the point though. For part 6, Araki apparently wanted to make amends for the way he has depicted women in Jojo's, but maybe he overcompensated in a way: Jolyne (and a lot of the other cast too) is basically Araki taking a character that would in manga in general and even his own previous work in particular be typically a male role but this time a female instead and... well, that's it for the most part. Genderbending most of the cast wouldn't really change much anything.

This is not to say that Araki shouldn't have done this or that it's an inherently bad way or anything, but I'm not sure if I would call "guy except girl" a particularly nuanced depiction of women, especially when I assume that was partly what he was originally trying to go for. I think he did a much better balanced job with Yasuho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think "guy but a girl" is really reductive of Jolyne I feel. While she may be more inline with other male manga characters, she is extremely different from her past five protagonists. She's directly confrontative and more outspoken than Jotaro who yare yare's in the back and lets others do the talking for him, while Jolyne instantly takes her own initiative and is pretty extroverted. It's clear she's way more raw and brutal than other JoJo's and is just a loving tank when it comes to taking hits, arguably more than Jonathan. She can also be pretty petty with how she treats Gwess and what she does to Romeo.

Jolyne also knows exactly what she wants, she doesn't take Anasui's bullshit, but she's not a wall. She gets quiet and a bit flustered around Weather and runs to embrace (what she thinks is) him when they meet up after Green, Green, Grass of Home fight. We also see Jolyne taking a big sister role to Emporio and kinda F.F. too, rarely being nothing but kind to the former and goofy and silly with the latter.

Jolyne is also the first JoJo allowed to be sexual. Yeah there's a ton of horny male manga characters, but for JoJo this is the first time a woman (and honestly the first time a man ever did) was allowed to just talk about much she likes to jack off and have sex.

On top of all that, she's allowed to be scared. She worries she won't be able to stop Pucci and doubts herself. She blames herself for Weather's death and at the time, cares more about staying with him and mourning him rather than chase Pucci.

Jolyne has a lot going on and just labeling her as basically a man and saying "Araki overcompensated by making a woman not feminine enough" is kinda weird.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

tiistai posted:

I can kinda see the point though. For part 6, Araki apparently wanted to make amends for the way he has depicted women in Jojo's, but maybe he overcompensated in a way: Jolyne (and a lot of the other cast too) is basically Araki taking a character that would in manga in general and even his own previous work in particular be typically a male role but this time a female instead and... well, that's it for the most part. Genderbending most of the cast wouldn't really change much anything.

This is not to say that Araki shouldn't have done this or that it's an inherently bad way or anything, but I'm not sure if I would call "guy except girl" a particularly nuanced depiction of women, especially when I assume that was partly what he was originally trying to go for. I think he did a much better balanced job with Yasuho.

Whenever people start theorycrafting like this I feel like they always neglect to take the editors into account. If I had to theorycraft on my own my assumption would be the editors would be saying "Sigh, fine, look, you can make the main character a woman if you want but shes still going to have to punch stuff and act like a shounen protag".

I have no idea what its like in the real world but in my headcanon editorial oversight is the reason for 99% of wierd poo poo in comics (also in Hollywood, look at the crazy mess every DC comic book movie turns into which im almost positive is from all the producers getting thier own say into the creative direction of movie, then it turns out to be bad because of Too Many Cooks in the kitchen)

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Moltrey posted:

I think "guy but a girl" is really reductive of Jolyne I feel.

Jolyne has a lot going on and just labeling her as basically a man and saying "Araki overcompensated by making a woman not feminine enough" is kinda weird.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that's all she has going on, but yeah I was probably a little hasty there.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

tiistai posted:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say that's all she has going on, but yeah I was probably a little hasty there.
Oh, it's cool!

I totally understand if people have a problem with Jolyne's character, that's totally fine. I just think she's way more nuanced than the past five dudes, is way more than Just Another Guy and is really only passed by Johnny for depth of character.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I love that Jolyne inherited Jonathan's tankiness

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm almost 100% sure that Jolyne could've survived the road roller

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

It's sort of a catch 22 to say Jolyne is not really a female character because she acts like a character type that is usually male. The whole point, I think, in showing a woman being a tough and badass JoJo, is to subvert the assumed masculinity of that role. She doesn't hide her femininity or sexuality, her father-daughter relationship is central to the story, and she even has female patterns of speech, so it's a far cry from writing a male character and pallet swapping to a woman at the very end.

Saying a female shonen protagonist needs to act not like a shonen protagonist or they are basically a man is implicitly buying into the gender paradigm that Stone Ocean is trying to go against.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Moltrey posted:

I'm almost 100% sure that Jolyne could've survived the road roller

I'm 100% sure.

she could have unraveled herself flat to the ground to avoid be squashed by spreading her surface area over a wider area.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm 100% sure.

she could have unraveled herself flat to the ground to avoid be squashed by spreading her surface area over a wider area.
Oh she's certainly smart enough to not be hurt by it.

I mean, I really think she could just take it straight falling on her, not doing anything to stop it.

Like it sounds crazy but....the girl can take a loving hit....

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't think that any of the other JoJo's ever got caught jacking off, declared the "dawn of a new age" after seeing a trans persons junk or were jealous of snails being hermaphrodites. Jolyne is an excellent JoJo with a cool power.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The best part about Jolyne being caught masturbating is it's the literal first thing that happens in Part 6.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering Jolyne and Hermes making the bet to see who can go the longest without doing it, and later on FF decides to live life doing the opposite of her instincts, I'm convinced Part 6 is a long episode of Seinfeld.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part about Jolyne being caught masturbating is it's the literal first thing that happens in Part 6.

Araki was thinking up situations that would occur in prison and that's the first one he came up with

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Momomo posted:

Considering Jolyne and Hermes making the bet to see who can go the longest without doing it, and later on FF decides to live life doing the opposite of her instincts, I'm convinced Part 6 is a long episode of Seinfeld.

That can't be true, part 6 has a better ending than Seinfeld.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Hypersexualizing the female protagonist is definitely progressive, good work boys

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

That can't be true, part 6 has a better ending than Seinfeld.
in Part 6, they get out of jail...

in Seinfeld they all go to jail...

makes u think

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Moltrey posted:

in Part 6, they get out of jail...

in Seinfeld they all go to jail...

makes u think

Of course... Stone Ocean is a sequel to Seinfeld!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Momomo posted:

Anasui is the Newman in this scenario.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Hypersexualizing the female protagonist is definitely progressive, good work boys

Having a sexuality is not the same as hyersexualizing them

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

She really isn't hypersexualized. She's the butt of some sex jokes but those 4 pages are probably 80% of the sexualization in part 6.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I haven't even read Part 6 yet, Jolyne's the best

sexuality that belongs to the woman rather than solely being for the sexual gratification of the male viewer audience is very cool and good, yes

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 28, 2017

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Jolyne's sexuality is funny and relatable, whereas the other Jojos are weird pure boys or nasty, like Joseph

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

standard owl posted:

Jolyne's sexuality is funny and relatable, whereas the other Jojos are weird pure boys or nasty, like Joseph

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You can only relate to Jolyne's sexuality if you masturbate at the first given opportunity even when it's inadvisable.

That's blatantly not me, I definitely wouldn't do that, not me, I'm sure literally all the other posters in this thread would be able to relate but no, definitely not me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's a pure, healthy fetish, thank you very much

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Johnny Joestar posted:

that's a pure, healthy fetish, thank you very much

I'm refuting standard owl's statement that Johnny is not funny and relatable

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Johnny meant mosquito bites as in small titties, so yes, it's not normal.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

horriblePencilist posted:

Johnny meant mosquito bites as in small titties, so yes, it's not normal.

Sometimes Formicophilia is just Formicophilia, man

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Johnny is relatable because he genuinely liked Gyro's jokes and songs just like me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Moltrey posted:

I think "guy but a girl" is really reductive of Jolyne I feel. While she may be more inline with other male manga characters, she is extremely different from her past five protagonists. She's directly confrontative and more outspoken than Jotaro who yare yare's in the back and lets others do the talking for him, while Jolyne instantly takes her own initiative and is pretty extroverted. It's clear she's way more raw and brutal than other JoJo's and is just a loving tank when it comes to taking hits, arguably more than Jonathan. She can also be pretty petty with how she treats Gwess and what she does to Romeo.

Jolyne also knows exactly what she wants, she doesn't take Anasui's bullshit, but she's not a wall. She gets quiet and a bit flustered around Weather and runs to embrace (what she thinks is) him when they meet up after Green, Green, Grass of Home fight. We also see Jolyne taking a big sister role to Emporio and kinda F.F. too, rarely being nothing but kind to the former and goofy and silly with the latter.

Jolyne is also the first JoJo allowed to be sexual. Yeah there's a ton of horny male manga characters, but for JoJo this is the first time a woman (and honestly the first time a man ever did) was allowed to just talk about much she likes to jack off and have sex.

On top of all that, she's allowed to be scared. She worries she won't be able to stop Pucci and doubts herself. She blames herself for Weather's death and at the time, cares more about staying with him and mourning him rather than chase Pucci.

Plus Araki takes a fairly banal and overplayed backstory that is typically used for female characters with the whole "Troubled young woman whose attitude is rooted in massive daddy issues" and goes so above and beyond with it that it becomes something bizarre and wonderful and makes the character completely own it. It's something coded super strong as a 'background for tough lady' so I have not idea where people get "She's just a dude but a girl" because she's aggressive.

The only way to make it more obvious is to have all the dialogue in her flashback just be "NO gently caress YOU DAD, I DO WHAT I WANT" as she steals his car.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm refuting standard owl's statement that Johnny is not funny and relatable

Johnny Joestar had a threesome with hot girl groupies, very unrelatable and possibly nasty

Also, didn't Johnny share this fact during a "one last thing we've always wanted to tell each other before we go and probably get murdered by the President" moment? Gyro's out here revealing his birth name that not even his mom and siblings know, while Johnny goes with 'stuff that gives me a boner'

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Plus Araki takes a fairly banal and overplayed backstory that is typically used for female characters with the whole "Troubled young woman whose attitude is rooted in massive daddy issues" and goes so above and beyond with it that it becomes something bizarre and wonderful and makes the character completely own it. It's something coded super strong as a 'background for tough lady' so I have not idea where people get "She's just a dude but a girl" because she's aggressive.

The only way to make it more obvious is to have all the dialogue in her flashback just be "NO gently caress YOU DAD, I DO WHAT I WANT" as she steals his car.

It's also kinda neat that pretty much the same thing happened with Caesar and his dad, so it also works nicely as a callback.

standard owl posted:

Johnny Joestar had a threesome with hot girl groupies, very unrelatable and possibly nasty

Also, didn't Johnny share this fact during a "one last thing we've always wanted to tell each other before we go and probably get murdered by the President" moment? Gyro's out here revealing his birth name that not even his mom and siblings know, while Johnny goes with 'stuff that gives me a boner'

The boy's not used to having actual friends, leave him be. :colbert:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you somehow think that the majority of things men talk about to their friends isn't things they want to gently caress or what gets them hard, you don't know much about men.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A friend telling you their fetishes is a powerful moment and shows the deepest bond between friends. Treat that knowledge with respect.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If it's a male male friendship, you actually mercilessly attack them for it and laugh at their poo poo taste, go home, look it up and realise it's actually pretty good, before laying into the banter some more.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Moltrey posted:

A friend telling you their fetishes is a powerful moment and shows the deepest bond between friends. Treat that knowledge with respect.

It's true. It's why I'm here, because you're all my close friends and I want you to know I like tough ladies and cute boys.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
--which is why Yukako x Koichi is the best Jojo pairing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

--which is why Yukako x Koichi is the best Jojo pairing.

lol if you wouldn't let Yukako crush your existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

I think it's creepy that Yukako basically love-potion coerced Koichi into love.