Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Asnorban posted:

I generally like Fred. Him talking about being able to beat up everyone in Boards of Canada was pretty great.

Jessica from Ithaca is the worst though. Cat from Raleigh is second.

Jessica from Ithaca DOES suck and her band is dreadful but she's at least had something to say in the past. Cat from Raleigh has never had a good call and when she got a cat she didn't even name it Human. Like why are you even calling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Thom and the Heads posted:

Jessica from Ithaca DOES suck and her band is dreadful but she's at least had something to say in the past. Cat from Raleigh has never had a good call and when she got a cat she didn't even name it Human. Like why are you even calling?

Didn't Cat provide an introduction to herself as a caller last time like Tom does for more interesting repeat callers?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bring back library champion laurie from miami

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
This was another dud topic. Everyone's story about what they need to unburden themselves with was poo poo like "I called someone fat when I was a kid." "I messed up some lines in a play." "I had cancer."

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Can't believe hitchhiker bot didn't end up on the worst robots list.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Toms impression of Raw Dog comedy "has anyone seen this toilet? " had me laughing hard

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
The Bra Store. They just sell bras there all day.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I HATED Fred for like three years and then all of a sudden I realized I loved him. That stupid laugh grows on you.

Jessica from Ithaca is the worst caller in my entire personal history of listening to the show. I want to be extra gracious because she's obviously trans, but she's just a completely valueless, annoying presence. I really have no clue why she gets on.

I miss Jason from Huntsville - any reason he doesn't call up anymore?

I stood up and cheered when Spike called the other day. The callers have gotten way, way too obsequious and fawning, esp. the influx of Steven Universe fans. I love Spike's utter bored contempt for everything.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Pretty sure Jason from Huntsville mentioned not having time to listen to the show live as often (due to kids I think?)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toebone posted:

Pretty sure Jason from Huntsville mentioned not having time to listen to the show live as often (due to kids I think?)

His kids are in college or something. If he doesn't have time it isn't that.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
https://twitter.com/scharpling/status/826246383749435392

:smith:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

I think this is more a "frustrated with Twitter" tweet than a "the best show is over" tweet.

(His account got hacked a little while ago.)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

What did it say? It looks like he deleted the tweet.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Weembles posted:

What did it say? It looks like he deleted the tweet.

"I give up."

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Loyalty ain't poo poo.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Robbie Robertson was on WTF recently and it tickles me to imagine Tom listening to that and the amount of times he would roll his eyes and say "Oh brudder."

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Anyone know what on earth Tom is talking about this week with betrayal and loyalty? I don't keep up with the gossip columns or whatever.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Last few weeks of Wurster calls have been lots of fun, tonight's included

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Berzerker posted:

Last few weeks of Wurster calls have been lots of fun, tonight's included

Ya, he's been busting up a bunch, such enjoyable calls. And The Oblivions + associated acts were/are one of my fave bands, so this ep was a total treat.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
We've had Danny, Denny, and Donny call in so far. I wonder if they have any other relatives in Newbridge.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Tatumje posted:

We've had Danny, Denny, and Donny call in so far. I wonder if they have any other relatives in Newbridge.

Dunny, who invented Aussie Rules Toilet Basketball.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Tatumje posted:

Must be a Newbridge thing. Tom's brothers are Dom and Ron.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Anyone know what on earth Tom is talking about this week with betrayal and loyalty? I don't keep up with the gossip columns or whatever.

There's been a shakeup in the staff for Divorce, and co-showrunner Paul Simms was given the boot. I think that Tom and Paul are friends, and that seems like it has something to do with whatever is going on.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

There's been a shakeup in the staff for Divorce, and co-showrunner Paul Simms was given the boot. I think that Tom and Paul are friends, and that seems like it has something to do with whatever is going on.

Ooooh he mentioned something offhand when someone said they just watched Divorce, I bet you're right. That sucks..

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ooooh he mentioned something offhand when someone said they just watched Divorce, I bet you're right. That sucks..

I hope he didn't burn too many bridges this time...

On a brighter note, Tom said on the show that he recorded an episode of Gilbert Gottfried's podcast that should be coming out soon. He mentioned singing a duet with Gilbert on it, which should be something.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
All the Small Things featuring Tom Scharpling on vocals.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Weembles posted:

I hope he didn't burn too many bridges this time...
I saw him in a pic of the table read for Difficult People so at least he's still workin.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

"Work sucks, I know" - Tom on his professional difficulties

e: AP Mike singing a verse of The Boxer has to be one of his all-time weirdest moments in a long, checkered career of weirdness

WrathOfBlade fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 15, 2017

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

I never thought I'd seriously be asking this but... is he using a voice modulator?

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
From what I've researched, his 'radio voice' is pretty heavily treated with a voice modulator. I think he turns off the machine when he sings and does his famous impressions.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I've met Tom a few times, the Joe Namath impression is his actual speaking voice. Wouldn't make for very good radio.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I wonder if the Wurster call tonight was planned or if Jon called in to keep Tom from having a breakdown.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Weembles posted:

I wonder if the Wurster call tonight was planned or if Jon called in to keep Tom from having a breakdown.

After the previous guy it did seem like Tom was going to explode. That was a legendary bad call.

edit: This is such a crazy episode since snarky Tom is the best, but he's really pissed off. :smith:

SoupyTwist fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 22, 2017

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

SoupyTwist posted:

After the previous guy it did seem like Tom was going to explode. That was a legendary bad call.

Scharplingsphus has had a rough year.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Wooh man. Tom getting mad in the first 10 minutes of the show and taking it out on callers is some rough chuckles

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I mean the plus side to the Wurster call is that it's clearly not planned and it's like if they were just talking on the phone normally, the down side is that this happened because Tom is having a nervous breakdown.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I felt bad for laughing, but Tom having a meltdown while those bullfrogs were croaking in the background was hilarious

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

Haven't listened yet - why's Tom so mad this week?

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

I don't really like angry Tom episodes in general, but this one was great

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Haven't listened yet - why's Tom so mad this week?

the guest didn't show up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HolePisser1982 posted:

I don't really like angry Tom episodes in general, but this one was great

the guest didn't show up

He's also just been having a really rough time anyway.