Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope Catflaps is a bit of a flustered nerd dad like Giles on Buffy :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i hope he has several huge alien pussies I can flop around in :3:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lycus posted:

My word, Ryder! That renegade action was dreadfully rash!

There's no renegade anymore. Or paragon. Just generic listing out of what you're going to do.

Takes the fun out of interrupts, really.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

There's no renegade anymore. Or paragon. Just generic listing out of what you're going to do.

Takes the fun out of interrupts, really.

Interrupts could still be done with a wheel.

I'm all for Ryder pulling the comedy interrupt where he fumbles the weapon grab and gets shot.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
maybe they are going for nuance, instead of "eat the baby/say the baby is cute" nonchoices :shrug:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zzulu posted:

i hope he has several huge alien pussies I can flop around in :3:

this avatar post combo :stonk:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Interrupts could still be done with a wheel.

I'm all for Ryder pulling the comedy interrupt where he fumbles the weapon grab and gets shot.

There are still interrupts. They just list out what's going to happen. No "Well, the camera is looking at that gas tank, and the krogan just keeps talking... oh. Oh. Yeah, taking this one."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

chiasaur11 posted:

There are still interrupts. They just list out what's going to happen. No "Well, the camera is looking at that gas tank, and the krogan just keeps talking... oh. Oh. Yeah, taking this one."

:smith: that one was the best one

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bud K ninja sword posted:

maybe they are going for nuance, instead of "eat the baby/say the baby is cute" nonchoices :shrug:

Would the Disarm from the gameplay trailer be a renegade or a paragon action? Is it a good idea to disarm the turian, which obviously ends the conversation and gets you kicked out but you assert yourself, or is it better to try and politely "disarm" them with conversation instead?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I sat through the whole thing once just to see what would happen and they give you so much time to blow him up. Like, he's still talking, you wanna blow him up? ... How about now? Now? Talking, talking... You sure you don't want to blow him up? Are you suuuuuure?

I'd love to see the stats on how many people took that interrupt. It's got to be in the high 90s.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There are so many interrupts that just seem like no-brainers that I couldn't mash them fast enough. I don't think I ever did a run where I left them all alone.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

quote:

Hey folks,

There's a little tidbit of info I wanted to share that twitter didn't seem like the right medium for, so I thought I'd give it to y'all here.

By default, most guns in the game (the Milky Way ones, at least) work via disposable thermal clips, like in ME2 and 3. This is the "default user experience" for most guns in MEA.

However! Since we know some of you prefer the old-school approach, we have something called the Vintage Heat Sink. This is a piece of ME1-era tech that you can use when crafting a weapon to make it work more like the guns in ME1 did, with endless ammo but an overheat mechanic, rather than using disposable thermal clips as "ammo." So if you want your Avenger or Carnifex (or whatever) to behave ME1-style, that's entirely possible.

Anyway, I thought some of you might appreciate that. :)

:ph34r: *smokebomb*

source: http://bsn.boards.net/thread/3649/vintage-heat-sink

Seems interesting

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but the thermal clip change was one of the many marked improvements that ME 2 made to combat in the series. I guess there's no harm in adding it back in as an optional mod, but were people really that up in arms about it?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't know if this is a controversial opinion, but the thermal clip change was one of the many marked improvements that ME 2 made to combat in the series. I guess there's no harm in adding it back in as an optional mod, but were people really that up in arms about it?

Yes, People will always get angry about any change.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Some people out there genuinely prefer the old ammo heat system for some reason. Scary I know

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There have been slapfights about it in this very thread!

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

This is Bioware's crucible project. A last ditch effort to stop an endless cycle of thread destruction caused by arguments over thermal clips.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

That's a really cool way to cater to that group of fans without overturning the apple cart of the good modern system.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think which system I'll use will depend on how prevalent ammo is in the game. I always seemed to be running out in 2, but 3 had plenty all about the place.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Thermal Clips for the primary weapon, and Heat Sink tech for the backup when ammo runs out and I just need something to hold out until I get more clips.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My blind guess is that crafting a gun with the auto-cooling heat sink will make it do less damage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So I'm doing a playthrough of ME1 again using my origin install,w hich means I now have access to pinnacle station. It's somehow worse than I could have imagined. How is that possible?

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

I was partial to the one in Miranda's loyalty mission.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kurieg posted:

So I'm doing a playthrough of ME1 again using my origin install,w hich means I now have access to pinnacle station. It's somehow worse than I could have imagined. How is that possible?

They thought the combat was a lot more fun then it actually was. At least the condo you can win is kind of neat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I was more referring to the game's annoying tendency to spawn multiple geth destroyers physically inside me.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm a fan of the rare paragon interrupt punch. I know there is one at the end of Overlord, are there any others in 2 or 3?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Veotax posted:

I'm a fan of the rare paragon interrupt punch. I know there is one at the end of Overlord, are there any others in 2 or 3?

Killing the Krogan turns paragon as it goes, and punching Zaeed is paragon. That's two more, I think.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

chiasaur11 posted:

Specifically:

quote:

-"Narrative actions" (previously "interrupts) return but rather than giving a "red"=bad or "blue"=good choice, it can say "shoot", leaving more ambiguity to your choice

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

*pushes shoot button while the screen lingers meaningfully on a large gas tank* *character shoots self in foot*

midwat
May 6, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Something about male Ryder's default model bugs me, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. Maybe it's just that he's not dude Shep. In ME 1, Mark Vanderloo's face gave the default Shepard a huge leg up on anything you were likely to spit out with the character creator, and now in ME:A that contrast in lacking. I dunno, Ryder just looks kinda milquetoast.

Male Ryder looks like he should be lead in a CW show.

Woman Ryder looks like a muppet.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I still don't know why they didn't just marry the two ammo systems.
Everything is heat-based, if you overheat the magazine then you pop it out and load a fresh one just like ME2/3, if you stop shooting before reaching maximum heat, the magazine cools down (at a slightly faster pace than reloading.)
Lore stays intact and you get a slightly more interesting game-mechanic to boot.

I'm sure they're going to cripple the retro heatsink just because they want ammo to be viable.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kurieg posted:

I was more referring to the game's annoying tendency to spawn multiple geth destroyers physically inside me.

Be careful, rape fanfic has been written over less.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Specifically:

quote:

-"Narrative actions" (previously "interrupts) return but rather than giving a "red"=bad or "blue"=good choice, it can say "shoot", leaving more ambiguity to your choice

They really better telegraph what the heck they expect to happen better than the last mass effects if that's the case.

I can just imagine a whole game of Witcher 3's "Push Dikstra" kerfluffles.

I mean, that would be awesome, but ultimately frustrating if there were larger narrative changes as a result.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 29, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Classic thermal clips vs ME2 onwards thermal clips. Hmm.

My opinion on both is going to be entirely dependant on how common ammo drops are in Andromeda.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
When is omni-gel making a comeback?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Or more importantly, what other kind of fun mod you get to sacrifice to install the vintage mod in that slot instead.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Zudgemud posted:

Or more importantly, what other kind of fun mod you get to sacrifice to install the vintage mod in that slot instead.

Probably an ammo increase.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Honestly I miss Saturday Morning Toons enough to want to play a game that is one. But I doubt this is going to be it without the full Burger King Kids Club of every type of player there could be.

you should check out kid Icarus uprising, it's basically a series of cartoon episodes and the game play is also real good

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
No more thermal clips!? Hallelujah!

Give me my overheating guns, babe. Never having to reload my sniper rifle will feel so good again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What the gently caress is the difference between waiting to reload and waiting to cool down? The time differences are negligable.

There's always been so much ammo around that I've never run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Some of the more ammo hungry sniper rifles in ME3 could leave you in the lurch because what would have been thirteen shotgun rounds was made into one sniper bullet.

So you put old heat sinks on your utility weapons and leave new sinks in you workhorse and backups.