Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Heartcatch posted:

We did get Sleeping Dogs, which was pretty fun overall!

I think the main issue is that China is never really featured that prominently in Western popular culture. For example in Battletech, the massive Draconis Combine is Japanese, while China and Russia are sort of smashed together as the Capellan Confederation, a tiny nation in a corner.

I don't think four zones would help things, but two zones with soldiers in them would definitely be better, if not for the current network issues. I'm sure they'll clean that up in time for the launch. Most players seem to avoid B this morning and just go straight to A or C to fight.

Just need to improve the value of B. People avoid it because it's annoying to fight there. The little poo poo soldiers block you, can knock you out of attacks (rarely), make it hard as gently caress to see and are just an overall nuisance. And then if you have it it doesn't really do anything special. You can't stand in it to heal or to boost the points you get. It's still 100 points but if you had to choose between A or C and B or A and C, the latter is just way better at people's current level of understanding of the game.

As an aside, I love Warden shoulder strings. Getting to the point where people won't just let me infinite them and know to dodge out but if you guess they're going to do it you can still catch them and eventually chase them with a heavy to finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The devil trigger or honor mode or whatever its called is dumb. In a 2v1 you're better off taking turns trying to gently caress the guy up because if he's even a little good at blocking he can build meter like crazy and constantly get temp HP back.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Indecisive posted:

Well we literally couldn't even go there until recently, we've done a lot of culture swapping with the japanese (for uh, reasons), but china has always been like, gently caress off westerners, so what do they expect? It's not gonna be an overnight thing

To be fair, the Hong Kong cinema scene has always been prolific since the 1950s. Shaw Brothers films in particular. I'm not complaining as I understand the political environment of these eras. The PRC stoked a lot of pro-nationalist policies after the 60s, which has lead to people being prickly and entitled about that sort of thing today. On the other hand, Western popular culture has always been a hit in Asia in the postwar era, America and Europe are often featured alongside any non-nationalist production. That new Matt Damon movie, The Great Wall is fairly demonstrable of recent collaboration featuring a Western film star with prominently featured mainland costars.

To get back on topic, I think a Ancient China DLC would go a long way for Ubisoft, financially speaking. Just have four warriors with jian, guandao, a wulin-style Shaolin monk for the best execution method in movie history, and a guy with a meteor hammer. I'm interested in seeing what other warriors (if any) that they will add. Duel mode is definitely my favourite mode, but I definitely can't play more than an hour or so at a time.

Megaflare posted:

As an aside, I love Warden shoulder strings. Getting to the point where people won't just let me infinite them and know to dodge out but if you guess they're going to do it you can still catch them and eventually chase them with a heavy to finish it.

Yes, this. Warden is the most entertaining class for me by far.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

I think the only thing dangerous about it is the free knockdown. If a guy gets Revenge primed you either have to stop attacking and hope he's silly enough to pop it without anyone currently swinging or accept that one of you is going to be eating poo poo.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
So... what is the point of the minions? To be incredibly annoying and just in the way?

And why are there ranged attacks that do like 75% of my HP?

I like this game, but man, there are some highly questionable design decisions.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The mooks are there to be "immersive." and the ranged attacks you mentioned are basically someone's killstreak ability.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Revenge is very strong, but that's the point I suppose as most 2v1's are a losing battle the second you enter it. Ride the lightning a bit and you can then boot their asses easily.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So if I don't have a code by now for ps4 am I completely out of luck or are they still rolling out?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I found out sitting on the close point is insane xp gain. I get about lv4 in 5 mins and from there i just roll over anyone trying to contest. Also I get a poo poo ton of score for "camping"

E: It might of be 3-4 mins, I should time how long it takes.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
someone give code

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Is the beta over? Uplay doesn't let me launch it anymore, and now the button that was play just tells me to get the full game. Was having a solid run as nobushi, too :(

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I changed from Nobushi to Orochi and man that little fucker is a salt factory.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Honestly now I think about it, the biggest thing I can fault the game for is nothing with the game itself, as I do legitimately think its fantastic, however its really poor timing in release. 2 weeks after the game comes out is Horizon and Tides of Numenera, a week after that is Nier: Automata, 2 weeks after that is Mass effect, 2 weeks after that is Persona 5, 2 weeks after that is Injustice 2.

When did q1 become so loving savage. As much as I like the game there's just more games on the horizon that I would personally rather put more time into.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Been playing a shitload of Peacekeeper in 1v1 - she owns. Game owns. I very, very rarely lose in 1v1 at this point. Anyone interested in seeing some cool Peacekeeper play, I'll be streaming for a bit.

https://www.twitch.tv/clutch_perry

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I get the feeling this game will have a very short lifespan. It's fun but I can't see it having wide appeal.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
getting kills by ladder buttstomping someone climbing up is funny

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I've watched some really short gameplay clips. The game looks beautiful and fun to control the guys but I just can't get over two things: what the gently caress do vikings, knights, and samurai have to do with one another, and you have to slash a dude about 30 times with a razor sharp katana/sword/axe to kill him. Still looks kinda cool I guess.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

vandalism posted:

I've watched some really short gameplay clips. The game looks beautiful and fun to control the guys but I just can't get over two things: what the gently caress do vikings, knights, and samurai have to do with one another, and you have to slash a dude about 30 times with a razor sharp katana/sword/axe to kill him. Still looks kinda cool I guess.

a super bad earthquake hosed up the world and somehow made the vikings, knights, and piratessamurai super close and now they are fighting for the remainder of the world.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Roobanguy posted:

a super bad earthquake hosed up the world and somehow made the vikings, knights, and piratessamurai super close and now they are fighting for the remainder of the world.

Two additional reasons:

1) It's not Earth.
2) Who gives a gently caress.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
I think a few more modes, ranked matchmaking, and seasonal updates will make this a buy for me.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

panda clue posted:

Been playing a shitload of Peacekeeper in 1v1 - she owns. Game owns. I very, very rarely lose in 1v1 at this point. Anyone interested in seeing some cool Peacekeeper play, I'll be streaming for a bit.

https://www.twitch.tv/clutch_perry

A poking Peacekeeper is ridiculously hard to block

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

Honestly now I think about it, the biggest thing I can fault the game for is nothing with the game itself, as I do legitimately think its fantastic, however its really poor timing in release. 2 weeks after the game comes out is Horizon and Tides of Numenera, a week after that is Nier: Automata, 2 weeks after that is Mass effect, 2 weeks after that is Persona 5, 2 weeks after that is Injustice 2.

When did q1 become so loving savage. As much as I like the game there's just more games on the horizon that I would personally rather put more time into.

eh, if there's 2 solid weeks of no other major releases that's not bad these days

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Plus the only game that sortof overlaps is Injustice 2 but not really. Still having fun though I'm finding an inordinate number of Nobushi and Peacekeepers which can be annoying. This game could definitely use some of the features people have been mentioning so far.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Indecisive posted:

eh, if there's 2 solid weeks of no other major releases that's not bad these days

Those are just games I personally care about, I am sure there is quite a bit more besides those.

I really wanna get the game, I just wanna make sure its not just I play it for those 2 weeks and then it falls off with everything else I wanna play coming out, because then its not really worth it.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
This game is really lovely for odd numbers of players. We had 3 people on for a while and were having a pretty not great time in Dominion with a 4th slot pubbie on our team and getting wrecked by bad matchmaking, then two more people came in to play and 5 is just an impossible number to work with here.

Even a super low effort "free for all" style custom game where we could just be in an arena map and fight while hanging out together would have completely solved this and would easily have been our favorite play mode.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So 2v2 is hell when facing a peacekeeper and a spear lady who just run around the whole map poking one opponent once and then running in circles to poke the other player. loving terrible.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Scoss posted:

This game is really lovely for odd numbers of players. We had 3 people on for a while and were having a pretty not great time in Dominion with a 4th slot pubbie on our team and getting wrecked by bad matchmaking, then two more people came in to play and 5 is just an impossible number to work with here.

Even a super low effort "free for all" style custom game where we could just be in an arena map and fight while hanging out together would have completely solved this and would easily have been our favorite play mode.

There is a 4v4 Deathmatch mode and something called elimination in the final game, the beta is not all the content in the game

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I dunno how people are saying this is shallow or gets boring. poo poo is deep

Most of the 2v2s brawls I've done degenerate into stomps or just separate 1v1s but holy poo poo every once in a while I get good matchmaking and it's some straight up movie poo poo with two lights dancing around two heavies and everybody constantly shifting targets. I'm so bad at deflect timing though :(

add yellowjournalism if you're on PS4 and wanna sword some butts

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

The best way I found to deal with people who run away in 1v1 / 2v2 is to sit by the environmental damage and just throw them off when they try to attack. The amount of salt it induces is worth the wait

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Wandle Cax posted:

There is a 4v4 Deathmatch mode and something called elimination in the final game, the beta is not all the content in the game

I understand it's a beta but a couple additional 4v4 modes doesn't really solve anything about odd sized groups being awkward. I would be more understanding if this were more of an actual team game, but the game's greatest strength and frankly the only really novel thing about it is the dueling. Not letting a group of friends just fight each other outside of some rigid team structure seems like an oversight. For a game that is essentially a 3D fighting game, the developers don't seem to have paid much thought to the social aspects of fighting games.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 29, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
The dominion mode is 100% a team game and i've not played anything like it so its quite novel for me.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
It's a team game but I guess the distinction I'm making is that the actual combat sort of falls apart at the seams and becomes a mess with more than maybe 3 or 4 people involved in a fight, as opposed to something like Overwatch or a MOBA cousin where the whole game is designed to shine during teamfights.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
My reaction to "a 4v4 deathmatch mode is coming" is the same as my reaction to "a SP campaign is coming".

WHO GIVES A FLYING gently caress.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Yeah I feel like this game is mainly a 1v1 type game with extra modes sprinkled in

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Like seriously a 4v4 deathmatch is just "lets put all the bad parts about this game and none of the good parts into one mode".

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Chomp8645 posted:

My reaction to "a 4v4 deathmatch mode is coming" is the same as my reaction to "a SP campaign is coming".

WHO GIVES A FLYING gently caress.

I do. I think it's a mode my friends and I would enjoy and I look forwards to playing it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
some things I've missed:

How do some people go super saiyan? They start glowing and anyone near them gets flung back. Is it the revenge meter thing? Why do I never get to go supersaiyan :(

How do you block from behind? I've backstabbed people who blocked me while facing the opposite way :stare:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

DrGreatJob posted:

So... what is the point of the minions? To be incredibly annoying and just in the way?

And why are there ranged attacks that do like 75% of my HP?

I like this game, but man, there are some highly questionable design decisions.

The minions are there to add some dynamics to one of the points. You also get points for killing them and it builds up your abilities. Everyone gets abilities but they're locked at the start of a 4v4 so you have to kill minions and players to unlock them (or stand idle at A or C and it'll slowly build as well...) THe ranged attacks are part of those abilities

Remember you have an Area of Effect ability if you press your two mousebuttons at once. It'll wipe out 5-6 minions in one attack

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 29, 2017

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Keegers posted:

Yeah I feel like this game is mainly a 1v1 type game with extra modes sprinkled in

Exactly this. This is a 1v1 fighting game with extra stuff because its fun and cool and why not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
If you can do it, cleaning up a lane gives you a whole lot more permanent points than slowly adding them from sitting at a capture point. You can kill way more than 1 per second with zone attacks, especially with some of the characters like the conqueror.