Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That is giving Trump way way too much credit. Chamberlain was buying time for the military to build up because Britain wasn't ready to fight. Trump's a straight up bought and paid for Russian agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
I thought the idea of Trump unilaterally lifting Russian sanctions was something even the House Republicans would fight. Now I am pretty certain that they fight for it. This is ridiculously short-sighted and dangerous, even from just US perspective, and from East European perspective it is absolutely horrid.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
With America aligning with Russia, it comes as a bit a of surprise that Lukashenko calls current conflict in Ukrain a war for independence.

https://lenta.ru/news/2017/01/27/lukashenko/

Lukashenko posted:

We didn't pay too high a price for our independence. All nations fought wars for it, and the brotherly nation of Ukraine is fighting for it even today. We should never allow it come to war, though. We are peaceful people.

My guess is a European credit is on the way.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dwesa posted:

One well known picture comes to my mind when reading about Trump lifting sanctions and recognizing Crimea

I don't know if Crimea could go back to Ukraine now. My family there are totally on board with being Russians now. And my family still in Ukraine are really mad at them. I don't know how it could ever go back.

On a separate note: Have the Russians been doing anything with the tatars in Crimea?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

I don't know if Crimea could go back to Ukraine now. My family there are totally on board with being Russians now. And my family still in Ukraine are really mad at them. I don't know how it could ever go back.

On a separate note: Have the Russians been doing anything with the tatars in Crimea?
They essentially dissolved Tatars on organisational level, going after their religion.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They essentially dissolved Tatars on organisational level, going after their religion.

So are they deporting them? I understand that was what the Soviets did.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

So are they deporting them? I understand that was what the Soviets did.
I'm not aware of any mass-scale deportation, but the Russian authorities have persecuted their religious and community leaders.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm not aware of any mass-scale deportation, but the Russian authorities have persecuted their religious and community leaders.

Yeah, I see that now. http://www.dailysabah.com/europe/2017/01/26/russia-detains-crimean-tatar-lawyer-over-alleged-extremist-propaganda

I'd really like to see what the "extremist propaganda" is though.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
I'm surprised they haven't come up with a Kadyrov equivalent for the Tatars, that's probably their best case scenario. :negative:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AceRimmer posted:

I'm surprised they haven't come up with a Kadyrov equivalent for the Tatars, that's probably their best case scenario. :negative:
Issue there is lack of thereof, Tatars have been a tightly knit bunch, for the most of it, rather than mutually hostile clans where you can buy yourself a political top-dog.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This is going to be the big news today. It's something Trump said he would do, and if you saw Rachel Maddow's broadcast last night, it makes sense. I'm curious if Trump will actually make good on another promise he made concerning recognizing Crimea as part of Russia.

Also,

The God's true country can't be established by the action of a mere foreigner.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yesterday there was a major escalation of conflict at Ukraine's Avdiivka. Many attacks on Ukrainian defenders, as well as against targets in the DNR.

https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/824865174381228032

Suspiciously several top guys from LNR and DNR "died" yesterday of unspecified causes - power struggle? Russian purge of no longer useful idiots?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/27/donald-trump-michigan-voters-media

"I’m not white, I’m Euro-American of Polish descent"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Issue there is lack of thereof, Tatars have been a tightly knit bunch, for the most of it, rather than mutually hostile clans where you can buy yourself a political top-dog.

Also Kadyrov's deal let him basically run the pace with little regard of Russian law. There is no way the Russian settlers in Crimea would be OK with Tatars having this sort of self-rule.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Yesterday there was a major escalation of conflict at Ukraine's Avdiivka. Many attacks on Ukrainian defenders, as well as against targets in the DNR.

https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/824865174381228032

Suspiciously several top guys from LNR and DNR "died" yesterday of unspecified causes - power struggle? Russian purge of no longer useful idiots?

I've been hearing that there's been arrests of FSB agents inside Russia. What's exactly going on?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

I've been hearing that there's been arrests of FSB agents inside Russia. What's exactly going on?

If you're referencing Sergei Mikhailov and Ruslan Stoyanov, it's conjectured to be a case of Putin trying to plug leaks with respect to any information on interference in the US elections. If not, and there have been even more arrests since then, I have no idea.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Young Freud posted:

This is the piece Rachel Maddow did in on Thursday. The theory is these are the guys responsible for leaking to the US via a retired MI6 agent that Putin has compromising information about Trump and proof that Russia interfered with the US elections to get Trump elected, including a video of Trump hiring prostitutes to piss on a bed the Obamas slept in when they were in Russia.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

This is the piece Rachel Maddow did in on Thursday. The theory is these are the guys responsible for leaking to the US via a retired MI6 agent that Putin has compromising information about Trump and proof that Russia interfered with the US elections to get Trump elected, including a video of Trump hiring prostitutes to piss on a bed the Obamas slept in when they were in Russia.

Well, that's US media, anyway. Media closer to region seems to suggest that some were involved in hacks of Russian officials, like the Prime Napper Medvedev and Surkov.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

OddObserver posted:

Well, that's US media, anyway. Media closer to region seems to suggest that some were involved in hacks of Russian officials, like the Prime Napper Medvedev and Surkov.

Links?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Doesn't this just signal that the information leaked is legit?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

https://meduza.io/news/2017/01/28/rosbalt-soobschil-ob-areste-lidera-shaltaya-boltaya
This gives a new name --- Anikeev --- but one that apparently has mentioned Mikhailov in his testimony...

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Regarde Aduck posted:

I would agree yes, but we're in this weird "the truth is unknowable" space in the US now.

OddObserver posted:

https://meduza.io/news/2017/01/28/rosbalt-soobschil-ob-areste-lidera-shaltaya-boltaya
This gives a new name --- Anikeev --- but one that apparently has mentioned Mikhailov in his testimony...

Cheers

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Regarde Aduck posted:

I would question that because Putin already got on TV and called it all a lie. He also said that anyone who is spreading it is worse than a prostitute.

After saying all that I don't think he could use it without looking like a fool.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Though they have little use of it now if their goal was simply to disrupt the candidate most detrimental to the Russian government. I really don't think Trump is a Russian stooge controlled by Putin, he is simply more easily influenced by pro Russian talking points because he has surrounded himself with yes-men and aides from the alt right counter factual movement, which has a large bias for strongmen and Russia. So it's not like he has a handler, he just willingly marinates himself in his alt right echo chamber, probably because he believes parts of it himself.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Though they have little use of it now if their goal was simply to disrupt the candidate most detrimental to the Russian government. I really don't think Trump is a Russian stooge controlled by Putin, he is simply more easily influenced by pro Russian talking points because he has surrounded himself with yes-men and aides from the alt right counter factual movement, which has a large bias for strongmen and Russia. So it's not like he has a handler, he just willingly marinates himself in his alt right echo chamber, probably because he believes parts of it himself.

yeah basically this is a payoff for the RT-Infowars collaboration beyond putin's wildest dreams

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I can't get over it. They're literally called INFOWARS.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So Ukraine is definitely heating up. The fighting has spread from outskirts of Donetsk, which I posted couple days ago, now there are also explosions at Mariupol and Luhansk. 60 incidents of artillery bombardment recorded over past 24 hours. Electricity and water networks failing around Donetsk amid the fighting.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
second day of non-stop shelling.

The Russians have eliminated the US as a threat. Their puppet Bannon is behind the president.

Now they can push.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

rear end struggle posted:

second day of non-stop shelling.

The Russians have eliminated the US as a threat. Their puppet Bannon is behind the president.

Now they can push.

What's their goal? A land connection to Crimea?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

That was the speculation at the time the conflict was hot. They need to take Mariupol and probably want Odessa as well.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Pale Horse posted:

That was the speculation at the time the conflict was hot. They need to take Mariupol and probably want Odessa as well.
Odessa would be too bold, I feel. That sort-of becomes some 12-dimensional chess when you want to landlock Ukraine and get a land connection to Transnistria.

For what it's worth, it may as well be Putin catching wind that Trump is flippant idiot manchild, and preparing a "diplomatic gift" for some future talks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

spacetoaster posted:

Primary objective: land connection to Crimea

Secondary objective: land connection to Transnistria

Bonus objective: full Anschluss of Ukraine

Basically they'll try to take as much as they can, but they want at least to get full access to Crimea.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

While sitting in the shop waiting for the mechanic to tell me he can't figure out why my car won't shift out of park, I read this article tweeted by Shaun King. It's pretty thorough, but explains why the immigrant ban happened this weekend, It's a test to see how much chaos the administration can create while grabbing as much power of the government as possible. There is also this detail about 19% of Rosneft's ownership being divested and possibly why. The entire article is worth reading to understand what is going on in Washington DC at the moment, but I will quote the part relevant to EE discussion here.

https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5#.zb3s3n5sf

quote:

Trial Balloon for a Coup?
Analyzing the news of the past 24 hours

The theme of this morning’s news updates from Washington is additional clarity emerging, rather than meaningful changes in the field. But this clarity is enough to give us a sense of what we just saw happen, and why it happened the way it did. .......

(6) Finally, I want to highlight a story that many people haven’t noticed. On Wednesday, Reuters reported (in great detail) how 19.5% of Rosneft, Russia’s state oil company, has been sold to parties unknown. This was done through a dizzying array of shell companies, so that the most that can be said with certainty now is that the money “paying” for it was originally loaned out to the shell layers by VTB (the government’s official bank), even though it’s highly unclear who, if anyone, would be paying that loan back; and the recipients have been traced as far as some Cayman Islands shell companies.

Why is this interesting? Because the much-maligned Steele Dossier (the one with the golden showers in it) included the statement that Putin had offered Trump 19% of Rosneft if he became president and removed sanctions. The reason this is so interesting is that the dossier said this in July, and the sale didn’t happen until early December. And 19.5% sounds an awful lot like “19% plus a brokerage commission.”

Conclusive? No. But it raises some very interesting questions for journalists to investigate.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Belarus donates Mig-29 and Buk to Serbia :belarus:

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
7 Ukrainian troops killed today.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mariupol is the third largest contributor to the Ukrainian national budget. It's very important. Also the largest metallurgy foundaries in Ukraine are located in Mariupol iirc.

This is a good video to understand Mariupol a little more from a strategic view.

https://news.vice.com/video/russian-roulette-dispatch-100

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

rear end struggle posted:

7 Ukrainian troops killed today.

And perhaps as many as 400,000 residents remaining without water, electricity --- or heat.
http://mfa.gov.ua/ua/press-center/news/54190-zajava-mzs-ukrajini-u-zvjazku-iz-zagostrennyam-situaciji-na-donbasi

Current temperature:-19C

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

While sitting in the shop waiting for the mechanic to tell me he can't figure out why my car won't shift out of park, I read this article tweeted by Shaun King. It's pretty thorough, but explains why the immigrant ban happened this weekend, It's a test to see how much chaos the administration can create while grabbing as much power of the government as possible. There is also this detail about 19% of Rosneft's ownership being divested and possibly why. The entire article is worth reading to understand what is going on in Washington DC at the moment, but I will quote the part relevant to EE discussion here.

https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5#.zb3s3n5sf

drat this is kind of scary if at least a portion of that is true. However I've come across this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-07/glencore-qatar-fund-buy-russia-s-rosneft-stake-for-11-billion which clearly states that Rosneft was sold to someone from Quatar so that kind of rebunks Yonatan Zunger's claims.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This is a pretty terrible conspiracy theory level crap, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MarQs__/status/826338184950841344

I guess we know what trump and putin's agreement was