Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

first decide if you want to stay or move. why did you look for a job in the first place? more money doesn't fix problems, it just lets you ignore them for a while (unless the problem was not enough money). if you stay, will you be fed up and looking for another job a year from now?

thanks for this.

1) Option one is to stay where Iam. I'm really happy with my current job in many ways. I love love love my team and really like my boss. But it's a large corporation and I"m going kinda crazy with the slow pace and bureaucracy of it. I'm also underpaid, although that's changed after this recent raise. I don't feel under appreciated or over worked; I'm just bored.

2) Option two is totally ideal in every way, but it's in AZ. I thought they were gonna let me work from another office (Boston, Seattle) but they changed their mind. I turned this one down.

3) Option three is a tiny startup locally. Would be a big raise, and I'd be in a position to influence decisions. Would be working in Scala, which would keep me interested even though it's a horror show. Would also give me real world experience working in a functional lang, which is something I really want. I really liked the team, and I'd be working with much more talented people than I am currently. Which means something, honestly.

I'm totally torn between staying where I am and leaving. I think leaving is the right choice, because my apathy and general frustration with working for a corporation isn't going to go away just because I've gotten a big raise. It's gonna break my boss' heart though, and mine a little.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it sounds obvious that you want to do option 3 but you're comfortable enough to make the Bad Decision of staying put

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

St Evan Echoes posted:

it sounds obvious that you want to do option 3 but you're comfortable enough to make the Bad Decision of staying put

yeah, really starting to feel that way. i think imna make the good decision.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

do 3 even if it is scala

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
thanks thread, I knew I posted for a reason

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

now you have someone to blame when your new life falls apart

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

there was a poster here I think in the bwm thread who was some sort of investigator who went to interview somebody under suspicion of double dipping (but no details about what or where) and the guy said he was too busy working at $otheremployer to talk to the guy

he didn't have that problem for long

gotta watch your hours and ur contract even if you are an ic

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

idk how much of this you've disclosed to your boss so far, but yeah the first convo about leaving will sting

but there's no reason to burn the bridge, no reason you can't remain friends and committed to helping each other through the industry. my first manager left the company 6 months after I joined. 3 years later I was working for him again. since you're staying local and if your relationship allows, seriously try to keep up contact and use him as a mentor

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
anyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat will understand you leaving for other opportunities and not hold it against you, even if they're sad to lose you. people who don't know you (hr, higher level management) are much more likely to be assholes about it than people you know.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

set the building ablaze with your righteous fury

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

idk how much of this you've disclosed to your boss so far, but yeah the first convo about leaving will sting

but there's no reason to burn the bridge, no reason you can't remain friends and committed to helping each other through the industry. my first manager left the company 6 months after I joined. 3 years later I was working for him again. since you're staying local and if your relationship allows, seriously try to keep up contact and use him as a mentor

The Management posted:

anyone who isn't an rear end in a top hat will understand you leaving for other opportunities and not hold it against you, even if they're sad to lose you. people who don't know you (hr, higher level management) are much more likely to be assholes about it than people you know.

yeah, the bridge definitely wont be burnt. we're friends and he'll understand my decision. i'm bored; he can't invent unboring work for me, even if he wants to.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I didn't even bother telling or talking to the one guy in former management that would've thrown a fit about me leaving lmao. I wonder if he even knows yet

I don't care gently caress that guy

unrelatedly apparently one of my former project managers just quit today too lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I just realized that at my old job I'd already seen several people quit by now while current job it's been nothing but hiring, promotions, smiles, rainbows and buttercups

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I keep tabs on my failing last job as ppl quit and they run out of money and will soon start laying people off. I bear no malice to anyone there but lmao at the whole failing thing

They're down like 5/40 peeps in <1 year

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

in the US companies get to declare who their executives are (there's no official titles below some C*O). but in most large companies, at least public ones, director is an executive role and has the legal responsibilities of an officer of the company.

"director" is no more meaningful than "vice president"

at my last job i was a "director" of nothing, with zero reports. just, everyone above a certain pay grade was mandated to be an executive. so, there you have it. a team made up of directors.

at some banks it's not uncommon for literally every member of the tech staff to be a "vice president," for similar reasons

title inflation is inexorable

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm the indirector in chief i make the big bugs

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

tiny bug chief

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have two offers plus a major award and raise at current job (which i like )

dunno what to do

i think a promotion trumps a cool new job trumps raises and bonuses

disclaimer: i dont know anything

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

a promotion that includes more responsibility without more money is a punishment

a promotion with just a title change without more money is an insult

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Anybody that actually 'needs' my tax records for a background check (i.e. the FBI, for a real clearance) can actually get them without my voluntary involvement.

This is not the case. The IRS can't share that information without violating federal law. This includes other government agencies.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"director" is no more meaningful than "vice president"

at my last job i was a "director" of nothing, with zero reports. just, everyone above a certain pay grade was mandated to be an executive. so, there you have it. a team made up of directors.

at some banks it's not uncommon for literally every member of the tech staff to be a "vice president," for similar reasons

title inflation is inexorable

a coworker who worked at sarnsung in korea for 8 years told me p much everyone gets promoted on a schedule there so everyone is a director by their mid 40s, but they don't need so many directors so there's just rooms filled with directors with no reports and no real responsibilities since the people under director level can't give them any work to do

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

fart simpson posted:

a coworker who worked at sarnsung in korea for 8 years told me p much everyone gets promoted on a schedule there so everyone is a director by their mid 40s, but they don't need so many directors so there's just rooms filled with directors with no reports and no real responsibilities since the people under director level can't give them any work to do

Korea is so hosed up and this doesn't surprise me at all.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The total compensation (salary bump/bonus) was dreadful for me this year, I think I am going to stick out the rest of this year for an easy promotion and then start looking elsewhere

I really like my boss, and my team, and the work I am doing now is actually ok. Just got burnt by the "graduate scheme"

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 29, 2017

poty
Jun 21, 2008

mishaq posted:

a promotion that includes more responsibility without more money is a punishment

a promotion with just a title change without more money is an insult

lol if you dont get more satisfaction from the size of your empire than from your salary

a promotion without a raise is obv not ideal but assuming youre an average goon around 25-35 its more important and profitable long-term

(i dont count an empty title change as a promotion)

poty fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 29, 2017

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
a promotion without a raise makes no sense because you could get the same title change plus a raise if you switched companies. long-term, sure it's better than sitting around as "jr developer" for 10 years, but once you get past the jr/entry-level title, current salary dictates your next salary more than your current title

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Plank Walker posted:

a promotion without a raise makes no sense because you could get the same title change plus a raise if you switched companies. long-term, sure it's better than sitting around as "jr developer" for 10 years, but once you get past the jr/entry-level title, current salary dictates your next salary more than your current title

lol if you have a bad salary AND tell potential employers about it

never tell recruiters your salary. they don't need the info, even if they say they do. if they press, "I know you need to fill in the chart, just put $1 and we'll talk about it later." then just lead off with like 15% more than you want in negotiation and never mention your current salary.

e:
you can also lead off during the intro phase with, "what salary band is this position for?" and they'll usually shove a wide range at you. they're incentivized here to be relatively close to honest because if they lowball you'll just drop off the map. I do this to calibrate my salary expectations when random recruiters call about jobs that sound about right that I'm not terribly interested in.

if you feel scummy about lying about what you make and they press in negotiation for whatever reason, "I'd need $XXXXXX to accept this position" is a way to phrase a requirement not tied to your current salary.

leper khan fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 29, 2017

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Seconding the never mention your current salary but, also if all else fails just give the number your want to use to open negotiations with as your 'current salary'

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

leper khan posted:

if you feel scummy about lying about what you make

Lol never feel scummy about this

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah if they ask I just lie and tell them desired salary + some percent for negotiating down.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

yeah if they ask I just lie and tell them desired salary + some percent for negotiating down.

Last job, i gave my starting position as the 'current' salary and they countered with a offer letter at $2k more

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

maniacdevnull posted:

Last job, i gave my starting position as the 'current' salary and they countered with a offer letter at $2k more

so did they think you were lying, or that you would agree to join for a trivial raise?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mega agreedo about never giving up your current salary

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
yeah i'm not advocating disclosing your current salary ever. my point was that it's pointless to take a title change w/ no pay increase. a higher current salary gives you more leverage towards your next salary than your title. like, if you're currently making 80k you're gonna negotiate harder when you get an offer for 85k than you would have if you were only making 70k.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

in my opinion once you have a few years of experience its more profitable when changing jobs to have better projects and a line about how X number of people report to you on your resume than to give a higher current salary quote on your interview (and doubly so since you can lie about it anyway as has been discussed)

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'm starting to think the theme of this year is going to be finding new and exciting ways to botch code screens. this is fine.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Finally, a thread for me. I just spent like four loving hours on a programming assignment for a company I'm not even especially interested in. Why would they inflict this on people? The HR person I talked to on Thursday asked if I could turn it in by the end of the next day, thankfully I lied and said I was too busy to do it that fast lol. And of course they asked me what my preferred salary was. Everything about job hunting loving sucks.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

poty posted:

in my opinion once you have a few years of experience its more profitable when changing jobs to have better projects and a line about how X number of people report to you on your resume than to give a higher current salary quote on your interview (and doubly so since you can lie about it anyway as has been discussed)

we have a person with the role "distinguished architect"
he has no reports, but reports directly to the VP who reports to CTO

as far as I can tell, he basically plays with new langauges and technologies all day, create demos on the internal enterprise github, and yell at teams for how dumb they are to use some poo poo tier java infrastructure.

as a reclusive goon who can only yell at people instead of "managing" them, how do i get this position

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

da beeper king BABY posted:

I just spent like four loving hours on a programming assignment for a company I'm not even especially interested in

don't do this

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i would rather do 8 hours of programming assignments than spend any amount of time being interviewed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i would rather do 8 hours of programming assignments than spend any amount of time being interviewed

what about doing the first one but also spending 12 hours being interviewed?

• Locked thread