Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Has this been confirmed for the show?

Yes, it's a parallel universe. They originally said it wasn't but now they're saying it is. The recent interviews about the Matt Nix show have all mentioned that show is in the same universe as the films and this show is not. It's set in a universe where the public doesn't know about mutants at all. Plus even if it was, if it's really set in the '60s or '70s it would put it right around the same era as First Class or Days of Future Past making it impossible for this to be Xavier's son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know First Class Xavier was picking up random women in bars.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well he'd have to have a different mutant power altogether to pick up women in bars in a parallel universe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Since they showed Senator Nadeer's office in this week's SHIELD, we know she is a Senator from New York. Why does Marvel make all their villains and jerks Senators from New York?

I've been in a lot of politicians offices over the years and the idea that a US Senator's office would be empty in the middle of the afternoon on the same day as a hearing is ludicrous. This is not me making a legitimate criticism but lamenting when stuff you know about irl takes you out of a show.

I imagine experts on everything a spider can do feel the same way watching Spiderman movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

Well he'd have to have a different mutant power altogether to pick up women in bars in a parallel universe.

have the show runners made a recent quote you can source?

"You can't tell this story without that element," Hawley later added when asked if Professor Xavier, Legion's father in the comics, would be acknowledged on the show. "I mean, there's a wheelchair in the first scene..."

That quote obviously doesn't confirm anything, and I don't expect McAvoy or Stewart to ever show up on the show, but it does seem like they've hinted at X being daddy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Parallel universes can have parallelplegic Xaviers too.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MacheteZombie posted:

have the show runners made a recent quote you can source?

"You can't tell this story without that element," Hawley later added when asked if Professor Xavier, Legion's father in the comics, would be acknowledged on the show. "I mean, there's a wheelchair in the first scene..."

That quote obviously doesn't confirm anything, and I don't expect McAvoy or Stewart to ever show up on the show, but it does seem like they've hinted at X being daddy.

From a recent IGN interview:

quote:

IGN: What are the challenges in having this other, larger X-Men franchise? Will this be within that universe, or are you making it separate?

Donner: No, we're making it separate. We're our own world.

IGN: So even if it touches upon Xavier later, it's not the Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy versions?

Donner: Yes, we're in a different world. Exactly.

IGN: Why go that route? Particularly because Matt Nix said his FOX X-Men project is a part of that world?

Donner: Matt's is much more a part of just the world in terms of there are mutants, mutants are hated and there are Sentinels -- though very different from what we've seen before. You feel like you're here in the X-Men world. With Legion, we're our own universe. It gives Noah the freedom to do what he wants to do. Because we play with so many different timelines, and we rebooted and not really rebooted and all that, we felt like, OK, we're going to throw it out there and hope the fans accept it.

So they're leaving a door open for it to be Xavier if they want to go there later, but it would be a totally different version.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

X-O posted:

So they're leaving a door open for it to be Xavier if they want to go there later, but it would be a totally different version.

Okay, yeah that's what I was expecting the show to do.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

I've been in a lot of politicians offices over the years and the idea that a US Senator's office would be empty in the middle of the afternoon on the same day as a hearing is ludicrous. This is not me making a legitimate criticism but lamenting when stuff you know about irl takes you out of a show.

I imagine experts on everything a spider can do feel the same way watching Spiderman movies.

I lived in D.C. when Homeland became really big and I was constantly taken out of the show when they met up in huge parks in "Downtown DC" that had rivers and large parking lots. They also have a grocery store chain that is in North Carolina, but not D.C. featured in several episodes.

Homeland is very obviously filmed nowhere near D.C. or NoVa and they have huge weird mistakes in almost every episode. On Homeland, the Dupont Circle Park is a giant square park that stretches for miles with tons of trees, a long jogging path, and a large forest in the background. The actual Dupont Circle Park is about 200 feet wide and looks like this:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I lived in D.C. when Homeland became really big and I was constantly taken out of the show when they met up in huge parks in "Downtown DC" that had rivers and large parking lots. They also have a grocery store chain that is in North Carolina, but not D.C. featured in several episodes.

Homeland is very obviously filmed nowhere near D.C. or NoVa and they have huge weird mistakes in almost every episode. On Homeland, the Dupont Circle Park is a giant square park that stretches for miles with tons of trees, a long jogging path, and a large forest in the background. The actual Dupont Circle Park is about 200 feet wide and looks like this:

People who live in Toronto or Vancouver are the real victims of the rise of genre tv.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Imagine living in NYC and seeing all the shows and movies that are painfully inaccurate in their geography, assuming they are shot here at all. Daredevil can be a bit rough as an actual NYer. For example, I think he mentions never having been north of 96th street (which is a pretty NY joke to make, which is a nice nod), but the courthouse where all that crazy poo poo went down is down the street from Yankee Stadium, in the Bronx... on 161st street... Then there is the basic stuff like how Hell's Kitchen doesn't really look much like it does on the show since the show I believe predominantly films in Brooklyn and Queens. I was happy that at least a few scenes in Luke Cage actually filmed on 125th street in Harlem, the very street the finale of Incredible Hulk was supposed to take place, though I don't think they shot there, IIRC (it's been a while since I have seen it).

Ghostbusters (the original) remains one of the most geographically faithful films for NY that I have ever seen. Die Hard With A Vengeance is a distant second, if only because the Harlem parts were not shot on the streets that they took place.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Incredible hulk was filmed very clearly in toronto. That scenes features both a famous toronto record store and their sign and the brightest strip club sign in the world.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

People who live in Toronto or Vancouver are the real victims of the rise of genre tv.

I love doing the "spot the Vancouver landmark" when watching the Arrowverse/X-Men movies.

One of my favourite weird location setting thing though was watching the second Avengers movie and there was a scene that said "African Coast" which is already a stupidly vague thing, which was filmed in Johannesburg, a city that is about a 7 hours drive away from the nearest "African Coast".

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Apparently RZA directed an episode of Iron Fist

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Maybe Legion will go the Marvel route and refer to his dad as "the bald guy" all the time

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

So what you're saying is that only leaves 7 Wu-Tang members yet to be involved in MCU Netflix projects.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Longbaugh01 posted:

So what you're saying is that only leaves 7 Wu-Tang members yet to be involved in MCU Netflix projects.

Not fully involved (like Method Man) but King of New York from Ghostface and Raekwon was in Luke Cage.

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 29, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I want Cage to reference Ghost Dog when he meets Rand in Defenders now. It'd even fit the arguments about black art in his own show.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

RevKrule posted:

Not fully involved (like Method Man) but King of New York from Ghostface and Raekwon was in Luke Cage.
And Ghostface was originally in the first Iron Man movie, plus clearly Peter Parker got the name Spider-Man from Inspector Deck this is some rabbit hole we are digging into.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Hell, does Luke not listen to Bring the Ruckus when assaulting cottonmouth's fortress?

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hell, does Luke not listen to Bring the Ruckus when assaulting cottonmouth's fortress?

Or, one could say, he listens to Bring Da Ruckus while he brings the motherfuckin ruckus. (Yes, he does.)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just watched Riverdale and loved it. I haven't followed a teen soap since Dawson's Creek. Should be fun :)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What even is Riverdale? I saw an ad and it looked like some kind of supernatural thriller featuring Archie characters?

Is it just more of a conventional soap opera then?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd put it more along the lines of "Twin Peaks" minus the supernatural (at least so far - who knows where it will go) plus more CW-style teen soap. I liked it a lot.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nothing supernatural. It's a "dark" take on Archie.

It's very CW-ish. Not sure if I liked the episode or not. But Veronica was great all around. The guy playing Archie talks weird and makes me not like him.

Basically if the show was about Betty and Veronica and everyone else was supporting that, it seems like it would be pretty good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not even that dark, it's only dark compared to traditional super cheesy stuck-in-the-50s Archie.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched it last night, it sucked. But it's going to be huge.

Never read an Archie comic in my life and i have a bunch, i think. Reminded me of a Christian version of the Beano.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I'd put it more along the lines of "Twin Peaks" minus the supernatural (at least so far - who knows where it will go) plus more CW-style teen soap. I liked it a lot.

If the show goes more than 2 seasons we'll have Sabrina showing up and Jughead's timetravelling gender-swapped-Archie-descendent girlfriend.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

If the show goes more than 2 seasons we'll have Sabrina showing up and Jughead's timetravelling gender-swapped-Archie-descendent girlfriend.

Yessssssssss

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Finally watched Riverdale.

So, the Grundy poo poo was cringeworthy. I liked the rest of it tho.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Finally watched Riverdale.

So, the Grundy poo poo was cringeworthy. I liked the rest of it tho.

It's official title is Dark Archie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It's official title is Dark Archie.

Don't listen to this fascist. It's Tween Peaks

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MacheteZombie posted:

This is good.

Marvel announced the Cloak & Dagger casting: Olivia Holt and Aubrey Joseph.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

MacheteZombie posted:

The characters aren't 11 years old, dude

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

The characters aren't 11 years old, dude

It's targetted at them tho.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

howe_sam posted:

This is good.

Marvel announced the Cloak & Dagger casting: Olivia Holt and Aubrey Joseph.

Not the actress rumored before, but still Disney Channel. Freeform does has a type.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MacheteZombie posted:

Isn't that the title of Aatrek's favorite dvd.

I apologize for that joke.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Not the actress rumored before, but still Disney Channel. Freeform does has a type.

I think it goes Disney Channel - Freeform/MTV - CW.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Codependent Poster posted:

I think it goes Disney Channel - Freeform/MTV - CW.

It's funny that CW would be that far up any list, but I think you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So they've announced that Rachel Bloom (the CW show Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) as well as Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (La La Land) are all contributing songs to the musical episode. Bloom's song is "Superfriends" while the Pasek/Paul song is called "Runnin'."