Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Also Firaga Burst is an extremely powerful Sleight that just nukes the whole screen pretty much. Magic in general in this game is super good for farming enemies for Moogle Points, EXP, or whatever because stuff like Firaga Burst just wipes them out. The only things Firaga Burst won't consistently one shot are things that either nullify or absorb fire and some of the enemies on the final floor.

The painful thing about trying to grind though is the same problem as everything else in this game. It's reliant on RNG whether you get the magic cards you need to make farming easier, and to do that you need to, of course, farm some more. Also because IIRC all the good crowd control magic sleights, which I think there are two others, one of wind and one of thunder??? I don't know, it's been a while since I've played Re:CoM, are all locked away behind chests and secret rooms I think later on. Firaga Burst is probably the easiest one to get since Rabbit just gives you this ultimate hell fire spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like I've been Yamcha'd, looking at this.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Reading through the comments here, I feel I am damaged goods for actually really liking the combat system in Re:CoM and being dissapointed when they decided not to implement it in BBS midway through production.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

Reading through the comments here, I feel I am damaged goods for actually really liking the combat system in Re:CoM and being dissapointed when they decided not to implement it in BBS midway through production.

The idea certainly isn't bad. I played through six floors or so myself after this LP inspired me to try the game again.

My only problem with it, honestly, is Card Breaks. If your deck is all nines, regular enemies can barely lift a finger to hurt you and you'll never have to dodge. Also, only one enemy can attack at a time, which is boring. If your deck is all ones, you're gonna get killed: Getting card broken puts you in danger you basically can't avoid. Bosses with real decks can have zeroes and sleights to card break you whenever they want, as well. I dunno what I'd do with the numbers in place of Card Breaks, probably something like chip codes in Mega Man Battle Network.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't formulate a strategy around Card Breaks. If you have nothing but ones, then the Powerwild Enemy Card is the best thing ever because it turns every one into a nine until your next reload, which won't come for awhile if your deck has many Potions EDIT: Turns out I'm an idiot and Potions count as reloads which is complete bullshit, why would anyone USE Potions?!

You can also get much more out of Attack cards when you realize that some Keyblades do more damage depending on where they're placed in Sora's basic 3-hit combo. This is something the game never tells you, though, EDIT: Thank you, post right below this one, for telling me it's all recorded in the journal. Shame the game draws so little attention to this mechanic, and since we'll be abusing Sleights in the later parts of the game it hardly matters.

Were they ever planning on having the card system in BBS? It'd sure make sense for Aqua considering her ending.

Ephraim225 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 15, 2017

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

The idea certainly isn't bad. I played through six floors or so myself after this LP inspired me to try the game again.

My only problem with it, honestly, is Card Breaks. If your deck is all nines, regular enemies can barely lift a finger to hurt you and you'll never have to dodge. Also, only one enemy can attack at a time, which is boring. If your deck is all ones, you're gonna get killed: Getting card broken puts you in danger you basically can't avoid. Bosses with real decks can have zeroes and sleights to card break you whenever they want, as well. I dunno what I'd do with the numbers in place of Card Breaks, probably something like chip codes in Mega Man Battle Network.

Now, that doesn't mean you can't formulate a strategy around Card Breaks. If you have nothing but ones, then the Powerwild Enemy Card is the best thing ever because it turns every one into a nine until your next reload, which won't come for awhile if your deck has many Potions. (Of course, you would have to actually get a Powerwild to drop its Enemy Card.)

You can also get much more out of Attack cards when you realize that some Keyblades do more damage depending on where they're placed in Sora's basic 3-hit combo. This is something the game never tells you, though, so if it never came up in the LP I'm not surprised. Of course once we start seeing Sleight abuse in the later parts of the game, this matters less and less.

Were they ever planning on having the card system in BBS? It'd sure make sense for Aqua considering her ending.

If you look at the detailed information for keyblade cards in the journal, they all have different stats for slash, thrust, and finisher (aka the parts of your combo)

It's still dumb though and I would argue the idea is actually bad and fundamentally flawed. Out of all the weird card games of the mid 2000s, CoM had the worst system

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Looper posted:

If you look at the detailed information for keyblade cards in the journal, they all have different stats for slash, thrust, and finisher (aka the parts of your combo)

It's still dumb though and I would argue the idea is actually bad and fundamentally flawed. Out of all the weird card games of the mid 2000s, CoM had the worst system

i think a big problem also with the three hit combo having different properties for every keyblade type is that a) in the heat of combat, most people won't remember what type does what and its not notified and b) sleights kinda gently caress up constructing to deal with that since it takes away one of your cards, so uhm scroll the gently caress around while getting ur rear end kicked to do the best damage? its kind of a mess that doesn't work with the rest of the systems.

anyway, here's a update for y'all!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"We Nobodies can never help to be somebodies" sounds like a Dr. Seuss line.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

i think a big problem also with the three hit combo having different properties for every keyblade type is that a) in the heat of combat, most people won't remember what type does what and its not notified and b) sleights kinda gently caress up constructing to deal with that since it takes away one of your cards, so uhm scroll the gently caress around while getting ur rear end kicked to do the best damage? its kind of a mess that doesn't work with the rest of the systems.

I just tried to phase Kingdom Keys out of my deck and replace them with whatever had the most strength at the time. Not having any means to rapidly grind through enemies is a real problem though. Having a chance of getting more than one card drop that also increased as the game went on would've been nice.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Hook is also one of the harder fights in the GBA version, due to the screen wobbling back and forth like a ship, and his present attack takes up a lot of space.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
In the GBA fight I was legitimately stymied on Hook for a long while because RNG had been very bad to me. And I mean extremely bad. I finished that game with a deck comprised of nothing but Kingdom Key attack cards because very little else would drop for me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hades on GBA was the big roadblock for me. I kinda transferred that fear over here too, not realizing how much easier things would be with a third dimension.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

get that OUT of my face posted:

Or a Marilyn Manson line.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Or a Marilyn Manson line.

Or something Eeyore would say.

Man, it's so jarring when you get a good line out of this game.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

A human being wrote that line.
A voice actor said it out loud.
A sound engineer recorded it, saved it, and turned it into a sound file.
At least three otherwise-normal-seeming, mostly-rational people were involved in making that line happen, to say nothing of the dozens of managers, supervisors, producers and directors presumably in the mix. What is wrong with Square-Enix, that this thing has happened? :psyduck:

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Ghost of Starman posted:

At least three otherwise-normal-seeming, mostly-rational people were involved in making that line happen, to say nothing of the dozens of managers, supervisors, producers and directors presumably in the mix. What is wrong with Square-Enix, that this thing has happened? :psyduck:

Didn't Kingdom Hearts have the line "The closer you get to the light, the deeper your shadow becomes" as a line in its pre-prologue? Like, it's hilariously awful, but this is par for the course with this franchise.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Ghost of Starman posted:

i think the line is good

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

More than likely the script-writer wrote that line, or his boss thought it was great and everyone else beneath them thought "this line is dumb, but I'm not paid to critique the script, so I think it's great! Please give me more money."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There are definitely worse lines in Kingdom Hearts, that one is just nonsensical.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Quinton Flynn is truly the Ewan McGregor of this franchise

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, it's pretty obvious that Namine is replacing Sora's memories of Kairi. Is she going to start replacing other characters, too?

"Gawrsh, Sora, what was the name of the big blue guy in the lamp?"
"Namine?"

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

So, it's pretty obvious that Namine is replacing Sora's memories of Kairi. Is she going to start replacing other characters, too?

She certainly seems to have made a good chunk of them irrelevant, i.e. almost anything Disney.

EDIT: There is a good chance this was not a well-executed joke, if so I apologize.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Ephraim225 posted:

She certainly seems to have made a good chunk of them irrelevant, i.e. almost anything Disney.

EDIT: There is a good chance this was not a well-executed joke, if so I apologize.

They removed all mention of the crocodile from Neverland in this version. It's not that impossible.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

thetoughestbean posted:

"Gawrsh, Sora, what was the name of the big blue guy in the lamp?"
"Namine?"

By the way, I thought this exchange was really spot on:

MelvinBison posted:

Looper posted:

this game's plot reads like fanfiction good lord

Replace "Namine" with an OC/Self-Insert and you're done.

That's pretty much the pitch for this game's plot, isn't it? Namine is writing her own self-insert fan fiction.

And More fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 18, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wish they could have made a couple of the black zipper robed idiots Disney characters, but I guess Square was never interested in exploring that aspect any further than they did in KH1.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

I wish they could have made a couple of the black zipper robed idiots Disney characters, but I guess Square was never interested in exploring that aspect any further than they did in KH1.

Hey now, in the first game you had all the Disney Villain having an evil foreshadowy meeting while hiding in the shadows watching Sora and co. and that was a pretty cool scene. Too bad it didn't go anywhere else from there, with only Hook and Jafar actively working towards Maleficent's goal.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

One of them pulls their hood off but instead of an anime character it's Smee. Or that prep from the Extremely Goofy Movie.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

And More posted:

That's pretty much the pitch for this game's plot, isn't it? Namine is writing her own self-insert fan fiction.

namine rewrites history itself, and it falls upon the fabled page of the ansem fight. she scribbles out the memories of the past and rearranges them to suit her views, to spread them around, this seed of a memory will not leave the castle. the magical hero will be corrupted, castle or not.

3 months later, donald duck votes republican

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I am glad through the power of Namine Fanfiction Scrooge Mcduck is finally President of The United Disney States

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

And More posted:

Finally, Kingdom Hearts takes a strong stance against fan fiction.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

its time to beat up a nerd

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I think ChorpSaway's "Oh my God, he's beautiful." is one of the best lines he has ever said.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
As long as we're here - what was the deal with Hollow Bastion in the original game, anyway? Why did they transplant Beast + Belle to Nondescript Anime Castle #273, when B&B's story already basically revolved around a perfectly-serviceable magic castle? And was there ever any more explanation given for Hollow Bastion's existence beyond (if I'm remembering correctly) being the place where Ansem came from/did all his dumb Heartless research?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

As long as we're here - what was the deal with Hollow Bastion in the original game, anyway? Why did they transplant Beast + Belle to Nondescript Anime Castle #273, when B&B's story already basically revolved around a perfectly-serviceable magic castle? And was there ever any more explanation given for Hollow Bastion's existence beyond (if I'm remembering correctly) being the place where Ansem came from/did all his dumb Heartless research?

A lot of this is sequel stuff, but Belle is there because she's one of the seven princesses and was kidnapped by Maleficent's crew, and Beast is there because he has a really strong heart and wanted to get Belle back.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Defenders were awful to fight in the GBA version if only because that shield took up half the screen.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ghost of Starman posted:

Why did they transplant Beast + Belle to Nondescript Anime Castle #273, when B&B's story already basically revolved around a perfectly-serviceable magic castle? And was there ever any more explanation given for Hollow Bastion's existence beyond (if I'm remembering correctly) being the place where Ansem came from/did all his dumb Heartless research?
Sora didn't go to the Beauty and the Beast universe in KH1, and he met The Beast and fought Maleficent in Hollow Bastion. That's where his memories are.

I think Hollow Bastion is the place where Ansem ruled the kingdom where the Final Fantasy characters came from.

That's more of the Kingdom Hearts plot than one person should remember, and my first exposure to any of it was in FutureFriend's KH1 LP. I blame him.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Vexen had a really terrible high-pitched cackle in the GBA version and I'm glad they left it out of this game.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

let's go to twilight town, a world with actual new graphics! what the!

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Except aren't they recycling KH2 graphics? Well, in the remake, anyways.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This game's plot is like memories from the other side of my rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
Riku and Sora have the same memory about Namine?
Impossible. How could that happen in this castle that messes with peoples memories?

• Locked thread