Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

spankmeister posted:

you just downloaded a bunch of malware good job

that is my job

gently caress else am i gonna do now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

eegh

anyway most printer problems are basically somebody chose the wrong format -- yet another symptom of US idiocy.

for future reference: US only (letter) vs the whole world (A4). theyre almost the same size but US paper is dumb and bad and only good for whiping your butt

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

actually, printer paper is bad for wiping your butt

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

CommunistPancake posted:

actually, printer paper is bad for wiping your butt

yea thats true. too smooth.... shameful fistbump

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

you just downloaded a bunch of malware good job

nah i'm on a mac i don't think this .doc file will hurt me :c00lbert:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wipe my butt with your mac

not the paper around it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

i wipe my butt with your mac

not the paper around it

your rectum is rekt

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Midjack posted:

your rectum is rekt

Rectum?
Rekt 'em

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

theres a video that i cant find right now with the adobe flash installer where dude just drags a link onto the progress bar, and it just loads the webpage?!; apparently its just a webview

he did it with his own site even

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Powaqoatse posted:

eegh

anyway most printer problems are basically somebody chose the wrong format -- yet another symptom of US idiocy.

for future reference: US only (letter) vs the whole world (A4). theyre almost the same size but US paper is dumb and bad and only good for whiping your butt

canada too

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

http://www.thelocal.at/20170128/hotel-ransomed-by-hackers-as-guests-locked-in-rooms

quote:

One of Europe's top hotels has admitted they had to pay thousands in Bitcoin ransom to wizardcriminals who managed to hack their electronic key system, locking hundreds of guests in or out of their rooms until the money was paid.

When the hackers got the money, they unlocked the key registry system and all other computers, making them all run as normal again.

Yet according to the hotel, the hackers left a back door open in the system, and tried to attack the systems again.

On the fourth attempt the hackers had however no chance because the computers had been replaced and the latest security standards integrated, and some networks had been decoupled.

The Seehotel Jaegerwirt, which has existed for 111 years, also has another, innovative, trick in store to keep the hackers out for good.

Brandstaetter said: "We are planning at the next room refurbishment for old-fashioned door locks with real keys. Just like 111 years ago at the time of our great-grandfathers."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the latest innovation in wizardsecurity: just use regular locks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

eegh

a4 is trash for idiots. letter is better

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PC LOAD A4

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

this is almost always the right answer. electronic locks are always expensive, complex, and lovely; the only reason to use them is a massive facility with huge turnover, like a hotel where you can replace a lost magnetic key for a nickel and don't have to touch the door to invalidate the old one rather than pay $25 to install a new cylinder

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

At the very least you'd expect a physical override so that people don't get locked in their rooms. I mean gently caress, what if the system bugged out during a fire or something?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every hotel I've been in has had apparently the same door lock design, where the handles are connected to the latch and the electronic lock prevents the outer handle from turning.

I'm not sure who would design a lock that's even physically capable of locking the inside handle. That seems like it provides zero benefit and a whole ton of extra potential liability.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Midjack posted:

this is almost always the right answer. electronic locks are always expensive, complex, and lovely; the only reason to use them is a massive facility with huge turnover, like a hotel where you can replace a lost magnetic key for a nickel and don't have to touch the door to invalidate the old one rather than pay $25 to install a new cylinder

I agree but you have to appreciate the irony and sheer ridiculousness of the fact that using regular old door locks is considered "innovative"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I agree but you have to appreciate the irony and sheer ridiculousness of the fact that using regular old door locks is considered "innovative"

everything old is new again, and just because everything is different doesn't mean anything has really changed!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shaggar posted:

a4 is trash for idiots. letter is better

why

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Its a lovely too tall ratio and also its some hosed up poo poo like 8.3 x 11.7 instead of the much superior letter 8.5 x 11

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

ah yes, for when i need to manually measure out my own pages from a larger sheet

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

the aspect ratio is a fair but personal judgement. i can't say i've ever been triggered by the physical dimensions of a piece of paper

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redleader posted:

ah yes, for when i need to manually measure out my own pages from a larger sheet

i mean "manually making a small piece out of a large sheet" is the only reason a4 and the rest of that series of sizes exists so

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jabor posted:

Every hotel I've been in has had apparently the same door lock design, where the handles are connected to the latch and the electronic lock prevents the outer handle from turning.

I'm not sure who would design a lock that's even physically capable of locking the inside handle. That seems like it provides zero benefit and a whole ton of extra potential liability.

stayed at a hotel last week where you had to press a button to exit the room so apparently the Hilton conglomerate-owned hotels think it's a great idea

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

redleader posted:

the aspect ratio is a fair but personal judgement. i can't say i've ever been triggered by the physical dimensions of a piece of paper

if you ever see A4 you will be

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

spankmeister posted:

or you could just have standalone pcs for your keycard stuff and have it completely segregated from the internet, probably for a fraction of the cost of reinstalling locks on hundreds of rooms

but no, computers are wizard poo poo, let's go back to security by "do not copy"

Jabor posted:

i dearly want to assume this is just bad journalism but who knows anymore :iot:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i went to paris a few years ago and at my hotel you weren't allowed to take the key outside, you had to return it when you went out

then when you came back you'd just go to the desk and they'd recognize you and return the key

i thought it was the most ridiculous backwards-rear end thing at the time but maybe they were on to something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fisting by many posted:

or you could just have standalone pcs for your keycard stuff and have it completely segregated from the internet, probably for a fraction of the cost of reinstalling locks on hundreds of rooms

but no, computers are wizard poo poo, let's go back to security by "do not copy"

i dearly want to assume this is just bad journalism but who knows anymore :iot:

a lot of systems pull information from the property management system (that folio number the twit at defcon was so proud of discovering on the card last summer), which is tied into the online reservations. it's cheaper and easier to just stick it all on the Internet, and now that many manufacturers offer zigbee or other internet of poo poo communication to the front desk, there you go

fisting by many posted:

i went to paris a few years ago and at my hotel you weren't allowed to take the key outside, you had to return it when you went out

then when you came back you'd just go to the desk and they'd recognize you and return the key

i thought it was the most ridiculous backwards-rear end thing at the time but maybe they were on to something

this is actually one of the best ways to secure hotel rooms but scales somewhat poorly

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

it also doesn't work if someone invites a guest over, then gives the guest the key to have it copied. or just takes a high-res photograph of the key.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

A paper sizes are one thing, but B is loving stupid.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

And so are lettered drill bits

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

And don't even get me started on intel's cpu naming scheme

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

A paper sizes are one thing, but B is loving stupid.

C sizes are good because you use it for envelopes for A-sized paper

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Chris Knight posted:

he did it with his own site even

what do you mean adobe air isn't the future???

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

we had a dev who tried to bet the farm on air development for mobile and I completely shot it down and forced him on to iOS and I bet he still hates me for it but gently caress You

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i legit thought it would take some serious for adobe to fail to carve out a niche for air, but then they provided more bungling than at all necessary so whatever

i in fact blush to recall that i offered a friend career advice based on that thought, luckily it appears i didn't do too much harm

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
please no more talk about paper

This is the weirdest derail ever :psyduck:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sorry, just wanted to see if i could shagger to shagger about paper sizes lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Powaqoatse posted:

sorry, just wanted to see if i could shagger to shagger about paper sizes lol

was there ever a doubt?

• Locked thread