Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ewe2 posted:

I've read some amazing tweets about itm, eg

https://twitter.com/aayoub/status/825136159990886400

But if you think that's crazy, California might secede.

There's a huge protest going on at JFK right now over this. Apparently the Customs people haven't been able to reach anyone to find out what's going on or what to do. Lawyers have started arriving to pro bono help people with appeals.

One of the people trapped at the airport is a woman with a green card who has lived in the US for five years and whose child - who is trapped with her - is an American citizen.

In other news, Trump signed an EO stripping non citizens of the right to privacy. I await seeing these laws applied here over the next decade :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
A federal court in New York got a stay on action for deporting people.

Green card holders being held up seems to be WAD, an Iraqi interpreter who's been working with the US military for the last 10 years in Iraq is being detained.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 29, 2017

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

open24hours posted:

With the government so invested in the resettlement deal I hate to think how hard they'll be willing to sell out to see it go through.

Ugh. What do we get out of being buddies with the US at the moment? I feel like it wouldn't be a bad idea to distance ourselves from them right now. What with them wholesale deporting brown people. I mean, sure, thats right on line with our government policy, but if you want to create hardline fundamentalist terrorists I feel like Trumps reading right out of the playbook.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The NYPD shut down the subway to try and limit how many more protestors could get to JFK

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Age is reporting that Trump said they would accept the Australian refugees.

I can't imagine that actually happening.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
We have credentials on being Tough on Browns so potentially we can spend some of that capital on having the US take some of them..

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Comstar posted:

The Age is reporting that Trump said they would accept the Australian refugees.

I can't imagine that actually happening.

at this stage I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Liberals just decided to lie about it to kick the problem down the road a few months and hope everyone forgets about it by then.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

The NYPD shut down the subway to try and limit how many more protestors could get to JFK

loving proud as hell of New Yorkers right now.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Send to states, get detained/deported. Calling it now if it ever gets that far

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mr Ian Goodenough.. Once saw that numpty putting petrol into a diesel car...... Yep.. RIP One good KIA Sportage. And then has the loving balls to try to expense it to the taxpayers.. Like gently caress u. gently caress u raw mate u break it u buy it.
Ben morton trying to fit a 2.2Mt long desk into a Hyundai I30 with the boot open.Watching this from the window for about 20 minutes was a good use of my time.
Mate if the hole is 1.2M wide. And the object is 2.2m. It's clearly not going to fit is it... Seeing the poor basterd outside a car scratching his head on how to get it in. Glory to thee oh lord for thy entertainment.
Ian Goodenough again. calling Parliamentary services. to ask what program he has to use to run a word document... This made me cry in my cubicle from hysterics for about 10 maybe 15 minutes..
IAN again asking why he has no internet at his MP office.. Numpty had only pluged the cable from the wall (telstra Landline port) into the PC and was going on about it wont fit for a good 10 minutes. Not grasping that the cable needs to be pluged into a modem first. and then run a ethernet cable to the PC.. I died. Literally died.
This happens on a very frequent occasion with Ian. At this point ppl at parliamentary services play hopscotch telephone with him or Ro-Sham_Bo and whoever loses has to deal with him..
ANN sudamalis printer once ran out of ink.. So she bought a bottle of Ink for mountebank/fountain pens thinking it was the same type and you just pour it into the cartridge!!!!!!>!!!!>!!!
Nick champion took kate ellis breast-milk from the fridge thinking it was normal milk. I mean milks milk but still it's in a breast pump looking bottle mate...Nah shes good weetbix ahoy.Sadly he was stoped before he consumed it.
Old mate dutton walking around the members wing with his laptop in hand trying to pick up a wifi singal for 10 mins HOLDING it up really high like an offering to zeus,even though being told he doesnt have the password to connect to it so it's not going to work. Won't listen gently caress that guy. Dutton probably wins the Darwinism award for stupid poo poo. i have seen his desk have like 4-5 daisy chained power boards just running everything. and then complains why they trip breakers. Moron also tried to once shove a 2 pin US adapter into an Australian socket....Sigh
A staffer from DJ TONEZ DA ABBOTT (a certain staffer who everyone thought was taking the D from tony) office using a mobile cooler to keep her seafood lunch cool,Not realizing she had it on heat. and when she opened it up. made the entire wing smell like bronnys cream cheese for 2 weeks. as imagine prawns and fish being stewed in that heat for all that time.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lunch Time Mid Oct 2016.. I sit down to the Kitchen in the Representative dept office. There is about 40-50 ppl chowing down on their lunches. All good.. MP Sarah henderson strolls on in.. She procceds to take her Lunch out of a chiller bag she has,It's a roast chook from wollies/coles i can't remember. Still in the bag and She then proceeds to place it in the Oven,which is one of those IR one's cause Yeah gently caress you why not have a 2000 dollar oven at APH... I notice as does someone else.... Sara,you can't place that in the oven... "EXCUSE ME YES I CAN IT's oven proof" How else do you think they cook them. Guy who helped was like Righto suit urself lady... sits back down watches the show. Fast forward 3 mins the Bag has pretty much ignited and turned into a gooey plastic melted buble. that to this day is still a blacked char on the bottom of the oven...Then has a sook to the guy who tried to help her...
I have been told this also apparently happened on an episode of neighbours...Life imitating Art as they say..
Dio Yang or whatever you spell it.... Attempting to Extract a slice of toast. From an active Toaster... With a metal Fork...Darwinism at work..
Old mate Tanya placing her lunch into the microwave with the foil still on it... This was pretty funny.. and loud..SEC came running in to see what the noise was.. gently caress it ive done this too i can't judge her for that..
South wall of the senate chamber offices has a head shaped hole patched up that keeps re opening when ppl walk by iit from where a certain Large Eye brow looking labor rep tried to use a hover board inside the halls and ended up loving himself up in the process.
Tony burke tried to use,Ajax spray and wipe on a Sydney nolan frame...Yes...Really... lets use AJAX on a 120,000 dollar artwork Malcom turnball trying to use a Phone with winter gloves on was quite comical......... this was back before he was PM. about 5 trys till he figured it out that the screen wont recognize them when ur gloved
Also MPs occasionally like to pull pranks on each other.. Tony burke broke into albos office to fit one of those airhorns to albos gas lift chair so the next time he sat down it went off..it did..Loudly
Albo retaliated by befriending the APH SEC and having them put up the mobile bollards behind his (tonys) car and then locked them so he couldn't get in his car till the next day... TIPS HAT. Albo also took burkeys license plates off his car so he couldn't drive anywhere.
This then proceeded to spiral out of control the next few day's until one of them put a smoked tuna Whole in the wrong persons suitcase to make it stink...Thinking it was the others lol. Penny wong stuck 2 dollar coins all over the walkway to the ladys bathroom with glue to see who would be a tight rear end and pick them up.(i mean it's 2 bucks who aint gonna bend over for that. few of them are still there and i hear new ppl try to pick them up all the time..well played penny.
A certain Boat Stopping MP trying to Pair his laptop with his Printer wirelessy,having services come up to explain to him the Printer has no wireless functionality...This went on for about 10 minutes apparently. Seeing a distraught Gillard trying to cut up a western bulldogs jersey while yelling,ABJECT loving FAILURES IM DONE WITH THEM almost in pure rage and wanting to bitch out the coach from st kilda was a pretty humanising moment as well.. she must be eating crow now. So just remember as much as they may act like dickheads they still do stupid poo poo like me or you...

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

same

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Seeing a distraught Gillard trying to cut up a western bulldogs jersey while yelling,ABJECT loving FAILURES IM DONE WITH THEM almost in pure rage and wanting to bitch out the coach from st kilda was a pretty humanising moment as well.. she must be eating crow now. So just remember as much as they may act like dickheads they still do stupid poo poo like me or you...

This would've been amazing to see

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Seeing a distraught Gillard trying to cut up a western bulldogs jersey while yelling,ABJECT loving FAILURES IM DONE WITH THEM almost in pure rage and wanting to bitch out the coach from st kilda was a pretty humanising moment as well.. she must be eating crow now. So just remember as much as they may act like dickheads they still do stupid poo poo like me or you...

Come on Julia not like they were Richmond

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah, what a loon. Heheh...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

She's a proper footy nut, good poo poo.

So Mal and Donald are tight. Ain't noone doing that "illegal migration" around them. And it occurred to me that Donald's list has more to it than that. You know how pollies like to use "disaster" to slip in a new regime because they claimed you gave them the mandate to? Well Mal and Donald now (and soon most of the West if I'm right) have lists and laws to prevent ANY migration at all. Why do you think they'd want that? Have a wild guess.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah, what a loon. Heheh...

Has this happened with you and a Melbourne guernsey? Be honest.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Konomex posted:

Ugh. What do we get out of being buddies with the US at the moment? I feel like it wouldn't be a bad idea to distance ourselves from them right now. What with them wholesale deporting brown people. I mean, sure, thats right on line with our government policy, but if you want to create hardline fundamentalist terrorists I feel like Trumps reading right out of the playbook.

We get to not be bombed by them. It's a pretty good arrangement.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Konomex posted:

Ugh. What do we get out of being buddies with the US at the moment?
We get to sell them ships that don't float in exchange for planes that don't fly.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Has this happened with you and a Melbourne guernsey? Be honest.

I've never ruined a Melbourne Guernsey, but I did throw a Baltimore Ravens one in the bin after the way they tried to ignore Ray Rice beating his girlfriend unconscious

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Konomex posted:

We get to feel secure because they will come to our aid in a war (theoretically) although in reality they would probably be responsible for starting the war anyway

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Konomex posted:

We're also rolling out the red carpet for Netanyahu. Our government doesn't exactly have a problem with being on Team Pariah.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Someone on twitter honestly thinks we can sit on the fence like Sweden or Switzerland. I haven't the heart to tell them not in a million years, it's just not Australian to have a backbone.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/roweafr/status/825591483784781824

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Solemn Sloth posted:

at this stage I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Liberals just decided to lie about it to kick the problem down the road a few months and hope everyone forgets about it by then.

They haven't come out and said that the US said the deal would be honoured right? The news report I saw earlier just said something like "sources report that Trump gave assurances that the deal would be honoured...".

That would fit that idea. Don't come out and openly lie, but leak to the media the lie, then when it doesn't happen everyone will just chalk it up as another thing on the Trump bonfire.

SlackJawedMoron
Aug 12, 2015

Konomex posted:

Same thing we've always had - an alliance with the world's largest maritime power, ensuring our trade goes where we need it to in order to maintain our standard of living.

Though personally I am all for pursuing an independent foreign policy, it would be very very... tricky.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SlackJawedMoron posted:

Though personally I am all for pursuing an independent foreign policy, it would be very very... tricky.

It would be suicide.

Yeah sure I meant politically as well.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...4abb1ff303b37c2
Australia’s six-year-olds are likely to have to show off their counting skills, name shapes and sound out words under a “light touch” test to check their schooling progress.

Education Minister Simon Birmingham has appointed a five-person panel to develop the new assessments for Year 1 students.

They’ll report back to the nation’s education ministers in the middle of this year.

Senator Birmingham has been pushing for the skills tests after several studies, including international comparisons, found Australian children were falling behind.

Performance is at best plateauing and the gap between the brightest students and those struggling is growing.

“These skills checks are not expected to be a confronting test but rather a light touch assessment that ensures teachers, parents and schools know at the earliest possible stage if children aren’t picking up reading or counting skills as quickly as they should, enabling them to intervene rapidly,” Senator Birmingham said today.

He says the nation can’t afford to wait any longer to act on turning around declining education results.

The Year 1 tests are likely to be based on assessments used in England that involve children verbally identifying letters and sounds in real and made up words, simple counting, recognising numbers, naming shapes and demonstrating basic measurement knowledge.

The plan was first flagged in the budget last year and is reportedly expected to lead to a shake-up in phonics teaching.

The panel will also consider the best way to implement the tests, including a trial and when and how often they should be conducted.

The teachers union has labelled the tests a distraction from school funding issues.

Australian Education Union president Correna Haythorpe doubts the tests will help lift literacy and numeracy standards without schools also getting resources to help students identified as struggling.

Panel designing Year 1 skills check
  • Mandy Nayton - chief executive of Dyslexia-SPELD Foundation

• Pamela Snow - head of the La Trobe Rural Health School, registered psychologist, having qualified originally in speech pathology

• Jennifer Buckingham - education research fellow at Centre for Independent Studies

• Steven Capp - principal, Bentleigh West Primary School, Victoria

• Geoff Prince - director of Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute

* Allason McNamara - maths teacher and president of Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers
AAP

I knew this would happen when she was interviewed on Life Matters.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

open24hours posted:

I knew this would happen when she was interviewed on Life Matters.

You know, as a teacher, I'm starting to wonder why I assess my own students. I should just leave it all up to National Standards Tests. It's not like I'm trained in how to assess the competency of a child over a period of time.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/fed...129-gu133i.html

"I'm confident that the Australian government and the US government will continue to support each other in ensuring that we can implement our strong immigration and border protection policies," Ms Bishop said.

I knew it was coming, but still.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Konomex posted:

You know, as a teacher, I'm starting to wonder why I assess my own students. I should just leave it all up to National Standards Tests. It's not like I'm trained in how to assess the competency of a child over a period of time.

So you know what you need additional prep for the standardised testing of course!

Also so that you can prepare them for the stress of year one exams in a safe environment before being thrust into that anxiety filled situation.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
*adds more tests*
*is confused when suicide rates in teenagers reaches parity with South Korea and China *

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Any chance there'd be industrial action against the tests and teachers just don't do them?

It's loving ridiculous they'd do this rather than invest in reading recovery more.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav posted:

*adds more tests*
*is confused when suicide rates in teenagers reaches parity with South Korea and China *

For youth suicide we're pretty close already. Higher than Korea and about on par with Japan. https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/108/10/765/1620773/Global-trends-in-teenage-suicide-2003-2014

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

open24hours posted:

For youth suicide we're pretty close already. Higher than Korea and about on par with Japan. https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/108/10/765/1620773/Global-trends-in-teenage-suicide-2003-2014

Well then....

Whose ready for NAPLAN in preschool!

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

ewe2 posted:

She's a proper footy nut, good poo poo.

So Mal and Donald are tight. Ain't noone doing that "illegal migration" around them. And it occurred to me that Donald's list has more to it than that. You know how pollies like to use "disaster" to slip in a new regime because they claimed you gave them the mandate to? Well Mal and Donald now (and soon most of the West if I'm right) have lists and laws to prevent ANY migration at all. Why do you think they'd want that? Have a wild guess.

fill me in.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I even missed it but apparently there was a wave of right-wing demonstrations (lol) in several places across the country, but the Invasion Day/Trump poo poo has basically starved it of any publicity/oxygen. The "rally" in Brisbane Logan looks like it only got around 20 or so people (event page as been taken down, a sign of a great protest). Looks like there were a few cops watching over the place (even the special 4WDs). Here's some photos of the happy campers!!

Hey look it's the person who was so homophobic they got kicked out of the homophobe party

Look familiar? He should! Here he was with his stupid misspelt sign back in 2015!!! Here's the reverse. Add another I to religion, bub!

Ban the Burk

Bikie or white supremacist? FTW either means "gently caress the World" or "Forever Truly White"

Haven't seeing pictures from Martin Place yet.

Fakeedit: Looks like they were targeting the Islamic centre nearby! What a surprise!

Recoome fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 30, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

ABC announces 'transitional measures' for shortwave radio listeners

Just days before it switches off its shortwave radio broadcasts in the Northern Territory, the ABC has announced a package of “transitional measures” for those affected by the cancellation, but federal minister Nigel Scullion has said it is “too little too late”.

In December, the ABC announced it would cease transmitting radio broadcasts through shortwave radio in the Northern Territory and parts of the Pacific at the end of January.

The measures announced on Sunday come after weeks of sustained criticism from Coalition and Labor leaders, and remote workers and residents, who said the decision was made with no consultation or consideration of their needs. The announcement does not mention those affected in the Pacific region.

ABC local radio is simulcast on shortwave bands in the NT, where AM and FM frequencies do not reach. Papua New Guinea and parts of the Pacific currently receive Radio Australia broadcasts on shortwave, but those are also set to be scrapped. Guardian Australia understands the ABC needed to commit to a long-term contract with an infrastructure partner for the service to continue beyond this month.

In a statement released on Sunday, the ABC said it acknowledged “a small audience living and working in the Northern Territory favour shortwave radio when accessing ABC services”.

“To assist this audience following the closure of shortwave services on 31 January, the ABC has offered comprehensive advice on how to best access emergency information, ABC news and entertainment. The ABC will expand this information awareness program after 31 January to ensure as many people as possible can continue to access our services.”

The ABC said it would expand its awareness program, which had included public notices and statements in local media and regular local radio broadcasts, as well as assistance on its social media pages and via the ABC reception line.

After its shortwave broadcasts end on Tuesday, listeners can register for information packs on broadcast and technological alternatives.

The ABC said it would provide “one-on-one phone briefings/tuition” via the reception advice line, including on how to access emergency services and use existing equipment such as emergency beacons.

“The ABC will also supply (donate) a Vast [Viewer Access Satellite Television] satellite system unit to all Royal Flying Doctor Service bases and 4WD radio club bases in the affected region, allowing them to rebroadcast emergency or warning messages as required,” the statement said.

“Many remote workers and travellers make use of the Vast satellite services when stationary, to access all ABC Radio and TV in digital quality.”

It said it would also create “how to” online videos to help people access podcasts and catch-up programming for when they are mobile or away from a stationary satellite service.

Jay Mohr-Bell, a cattle station manager outside of Katherine, dismissed the ABC’s announcement. “The ABC fails to understand that their audience who listens to local ABC via shortwave do not ‘favour’ this service, this is their only available service,” he told Guardian Australia.

“The ABC likes to be heard but fails to listen. Essentially the ABC is closing down the shortwave service and replacing it with nothing.”

As well as concerns about the loss of live emergency broadcasts, the complaints aired by people who live and work remotely in the NT have centred around the mental and emotional wellbeing effect of disconnection from live radio. The ABC measures announced on Sunday do not provide for a live radio replacement.

“While these measures are welcomed, they provide little comfort for the many residents of the territory who have relied on shortwave radio for emergency support and communication in remote areas,” Scullion said, calling on the ABC to reverse its decision.

“Government funding was locked in for the ABC for three years in last year’s budget and there was no need for the ABC to make this decision with no notice or community consultation.

“I also encourage the ABC to reconsider how it works with the territory community and ensure it has better consultation practices before any future changes to the services it is funded by the commonwealth to deliver.”

Scullion has previously told Guardian Australia he had lobbied the ABC to reverse its decision. He called on Labor senators Malarndirri McCarthy and Warren Snowdon, who have been vocal in their opposition to the ABC’s decision, to work with the Coalition.

McCarthy said Sunday’s announcement showed the ABC was “finally admitting” the shortwave shutdown “will leave remote Territorians without access to emergency broadcasts”.

Last week the opposition leader, Bill Shorten, called on the prime minister to step in and save the service.

The communications minister, Mitch Fifield, said the cut had no relation to government funding, and called on the ABC to reassess its decision.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jan/30/abc-announces-transitional-measures-for-shortwave-radio-listeners

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Recoome posted:

Bikie or white supremacist? FTW either means "gently caress the World" or "Forever Truly White"

Why does this guy look so sad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why does this guy look so sad?

FTW no gf

• Locked thread