Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snuffman posted:

This might be a better question for elsewhere, but I'll try anyways.

I've just discovered the magic of powershell and using it to remove default windows 10 bloat-ware.

The funny thing is, I don't think all the stuff windows 10 comes with is really all that bad. Mail, Calendar...they don't seem that bad, and I like the weather app.

Is there a way to make an executeable powershell script to remove the more annoying Windows 10 garbage (I'm thinking groove music, solitaire, xbox) easily? Rather than going program by program every time?

Why don't you just unpin and hide the 3 things you don't want at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I mean, I feel like the people who experience significant issues with Windows 10 and the people who root out everything through powershell that was intentionally and stupidly baked into the system are somewhat inter-related, but you can't unpin and hide things from All Apps, and some people just prefer working from a list rather than a bunch of spinny tiles that take up the screen.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, I feel like the people who experience significant issues with Windows 10 and the people who root out everything through powershell that was intentionally and stupidly baked into the system are somewhat inter-related, but you can't unpin and hide things from All Apps, and some people just prefer working from a list rather than a bunch of spinny tiles that take up the screen.

Classic Shell. *shrug*

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Snuffman posted:

The DVD just installed everything without giving me an option to cherry pick and Microsoft's answer seems to be "Everyone loves ALL OUR PRODUCTS SO SHUT UP". Which is bullshit, by the way.

It's more like "I bought Office and it didn't install Visio!!! I AM BEING RIPPED OFF!!!!!" because lets be honest about where most users are at technically.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Do I need to do anything special with the MCT or at install time to install 10 Pro instead of home?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Since I installed Win10 last summer, I have been putting the computer to sleep by right-clicking Power and clicking sleep. Simple enough, yeah? I've been using it to also defer Windows Updates (as well as going into WU and setting the auto install/restart time to as far back as I can go until it finally just tells you one day it's doing it whether you like it or not) but last night when I tried to put the PC to sleep, it decided to go ahead and configure Windows Updates even though I absolutely did not click update/restart or update/shutdown. When I turned my PC on today, it took nearly 20 minutes TTD (on a 6700k and an SSD). The update removed Ccleaner, added Edge and App Store icons back to the taskbar, added all the old apps I'd removed previously like Xbox, One Drive, and Office advertisements, and, my favorite, created a new windows.old folder on my 240GB SSD that is 21GB. It also looks like Cortana is re-enabled and none of the previous methods I'd used to disable it are working anymore. All of my Windows history has been cleared, too, which is somewhat ironic given I leave that option unchecked in Ccleaner but WU did it anyway. No longer have install/last used dates on applications, recently accessed locations, etc. I installed Win10 Pro specifically because I thought I could disable all of this garbage, like I did with XP Pro and 7 Pro. Do I really need to install a copy of Enterprise to avoid having to deal with this again in the future? :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The CCleaner thing is because CCleaner needed an update to work properly in the new version. Next time, make sure you keep CCleaner and other similar programs up to date beforehand.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

fishmech posted:

The CCleaner thing is because CCleaner needed an update to work properly in the new version. Next time, make sure you keep CCleaner and other similar programs up to date beforehand.

The Ccleaner64.exe in the windows.old folder is 5.25 from Dec 13. I missed one update from earlier this week because I haven't launched it this week. Besides, reinstalling one program is the least complicated I've had to do today but thanks for the advice.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

The name of the option is "Defer Upgrades", not "Stay in the stone age until Windows XP costs hundreds of thousands in engineering salaries to support Upgrades". MS isn't going to repeat that mistake, so sooner or later it does actually perform the upgrade regardless of if you want to or not. This is what happened in your case.

I do wish the upgrade process wasn't so disruptive, but it currently is essentially a Windows refresh so that's how it goes. I use defer upgrades, and simply choose a time when I'm willing to put up with the overhead of the upgrade. This time around, I did set up a powershell script to automate removing the Windows Apps I don't use and disable the group policies for Cortana, Windows Consumer Experience, etc. which I'll get to test next time it happens.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Jan posted:

The name of the option is "Defer Upgrades", not "Stay in the stone age until Windows XP costs hundreds of thousands in engineering salaries to support Upgrades". MS isn't going to repeat that mistake, so sooner or later it does actually perform the upgrade regardless of if you want to or not. This is what happened in your case.

I do wish the upgrade process wasn't so disruptive, but it currently is essentially a Windows refresh so that's how it goes. I use defer upgrades, and simply choose a time when I'm willing to put up with the overhead of the upgrade. This time around, I did set up a powershell script to automate removing the Windows Apps I don't use and disable the group policies for Cortana, Windows Consumer Experience, etc. which I'll get to test next time it happens.

Strangely enough, defer upgrades has always been greyed out in WU settings since I upgraded to 10. When I say defer upgrades, I mean I am personally setting the auto install time to 5 days from now in the morning and if I happen to catch it again, maybe push it back one or two more. I don't know how many days I can actually push it back, but I don't think it has been more than a week at the most so stone age is kind of a lofty way to describe how I'm treating them. I was under the impression I was still getting the necessary security updates because I've been restarting my computer usually once a week, sometimes more if I'm not in a pinch for time, to install updates. Does the anniversary update contain security patches that somehow couldn't have been implemented otherwise?

Edit: Good idea about the script. Will do in the future.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Does the anniversary update contain security patches that somehow couldn't have been implemented otherwise?

No, but their approach seems to be to stop pushing security updates to previous releases once the "deferred" branch gets pushed. Although I am skeptical that they fully stop since they do have to support the long term/enterprise branch too.

Not sure why Defer Upgrades would be greyed out on Pro, you might want to fix that if you want more control over these.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If it was the Anniversary update then that's why it took so long and creates a windows.old, as it's essentially a full service pack style update. There are in fact security updates in there that Microsoft didn't split out because the whole idea behind Windows 10 is not supporting multiple branches of code, and Anniversary has a significant change in compatibility checks which is why it uninstalls some third party software on update if that software hasn't been updated to a compatible version within the last four months you've been deferring the update.

If you want to turn off Cortana you can just make sure you're signed out, then it's just a generic search for your computer; you can set your region to somewhere where Cortana is disabled for now (I'm in New Zealand where none of its features are rolled out); or reportedly you can regedit this: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\AllowCortana = 0

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of updates, does Windows 10 ever actually pull updates from the LAN instead of the Internet?

I have 5 machines running Windows 10, with the option for LAN updates enabled, and I don't think I've ever seen it in used.

I only ask because we share a 10Mb connection and MS updates will max out the bandwidth for 10-20 minutes, and since each machine comes online at different times, it ends up being more than hour of "gently caress me, why is the internet so slow today"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
See it quite often with our machines. The idea is to get one machine fully updated, then let it serve updates to the others - they won't serve updates which are only partially downloaded or in progress, it seems.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ghostlight posted:

...Anniversary has a significant change in compatibility checks which is why it uninstalls some third party software on update if that software hasn't been updated to a compatible version within the last four months you've been deferring the update.

That's some grade-A bullshit. Mark the programs out, put up a notice, throw a warning when they run, whatever. But just arbitrarily uninstalling poo poo? Wow.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

AlternateAccount posted:

That's some grade-A bullshit. Mark the programs out, put up a notice, throw a warning when they run, whatever. But just arbitrarily uninstalling poo poo? Wow.

"Microsoft knows what's best for me."

Say it.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Speaking of updates, does Windows 10 ever actually pull updates from the LAN instead of the Internet?

I have 5 machines running Windows 10, with the option for LAN updates enabled, and I don't think I've ever seen it in used.

I only ask because we share a 10Mb connection and MS updates will max out the bandwidth for 10-20 minutes, and since each machine comes online at different times, it ends up being more than hour of "gently caress me, why is the internet so slow today"

I noticed that too. It doesn't matter if the updates have been fully downloaded either. If I switch on the laptop days after the PC has finished updating, it'll still pull updates over the Internet. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft completely forgot to activate this feature :v:

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
I need some help! I just installed an upgrade to Windows 10 on my machine. I installed it on my SSD C drive. My HD is dying so I just got a new one put in. Windows 10 operates totally normally when the old dying drive is connected. Once I take out the drive, windows is unable to run any functions like control panel, device manager etc. It just hangs and freezes for a long time before telling me the path could not be found.

I cant for the life of me figure out how to get this working, why is my old drive essential to window functioning, properly, even though I dont think any part of the OS is installed on it. Help!

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Best/easiest thing would be reinstalling Windows on the new drive while the old one is disconnected. After the install you can plug in the old one if you need to transfer stuff over.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
That's a good idea, I had to have the old one in to use the reset feature, so hopefully that will get it. If this fails I'll reinstall windows 7, then upgrade again with the bad HD unplugged.

Thanks!

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

You can just do a clean install instead of doing the upgrade, assuming that or another computer you have access to is working enough to create the usb drive installer. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Skip the product key and it should activate itself once you're online.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Trip report, that will hopefully help others as well in the future:

I had windows 10 installed with a digital license since it was released. I upgraded from Windows 8.1, which itself was upgraded from Windows 7 which had a valid key (from an old technet account). I never had a microsoft account, always used a local one.
I bought a new drive yesterday and I unplugged my old one (after backing up stuff), popped the new one in, started the windows 10 install, entered the Windows 7 key when it asked for it, and it looks to be activated just fine. The only thing that changed in the computer is the storage (from a PCIe 3Ware RAID card to the new 960 EVO M.2 with a PCIe adapter). Both the old RAID card and the new adapter occupy the same PCIe slot.

In the past Windows used to get all cranky when changing hard-drives, but apparently now the computer signature is a bit more relaxed.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, I physically moved my desktop a few inches and Windows 10 refuses to boot. I was playing Warcraft 3, powered the system off, moved it like, 6 inches or so to make it flush with my desk, and now it freezes on boot. Didn't add or remove a single thing, none of the cables are crimped or pressured at all. Help?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Volguus posted:

Trip report, that will hopefully help others as well in the future:

I had windows 10 installed with a digital license since it was released. I upgraded from Windows 8.1, which itself was upgraded from Windows 7 which had a valid key (from an old technet account). I never had a microsoft account, always used a local one.
I bought a new drive yesterday and I unplugged my old one (after backing up stuff), popped the new one in, started the windows 10 install, entered the Windows 7 key when it asked for it, and it looks to be activated just fine. The only thing that changed in the computer is the storage (from a PCIe 3Ware RAID card to the new 960 EVO M.2 with a PCIe adapter). Both the old RAID card and the new adapter occupy the same PCIe slot.

In the past Windows used to get all cranky when changing hard-drives, but apparently now the computer signature is a bit more relaxed.

Your old activation was a digital license based on an upgrade from your win8.1 install; your new activation is most likely a new digital license granted by using the win7 key.

If they ever stop allowing new activations from 7/8 keys, you'll actually need to skip the key entering phase of installation for it to pick up your existing digital license.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

GobiasIndustries posted:

So, I physically moved my desktop a few inches and Windows 10 refuses to boot. I was playing Warcraft 3, powered the system off, moved it like, 6 inches or so to make it flush with my desk, and now it freezes on boot. Didn't add or remove a single thing, none of the cables are crimped or pressured at all. Help?

Reseat components. Potentially something moved just slightly enough, or perhaps your motherboard has small cracks in the circuit runs that will hopefully be resolved with a bit of pushing when you reseat stuff.

Start with RAM and GPU then, if doing that a few times doesn't help, up the ante to CPU if necessary (noting that you'll have to do thermal paste again).

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

GobiasIndustries posted:

Could you describe the freeze a bit more? Does it get to the windows 10 logo? The login screen?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

dissss posted:

Edge is garbage though - scrolling performance is good but that is literally all it has going for it

Edge is cool because they replaced the best touch browser with a browser that has no literally touch support besides annotating drawing dicks on pages.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Actuarial Fables posted:

Could you describe the freeze a bit more? Does it get to the windows 10 logo? The login screen?

The W10 logo shows up, the dots do one full circle then freeze halfway through the second spin.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

The W10 logo shows up, the dots do one full circle then freeze halfway through the second spin.

If you have a usb install, boot from it and run repair, had this on a couple of machines

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I'm putting money on the GPU having moved out. I had a similar problem and the solution was re-seating the GPU because as soon as it tried to do any sort of hardware acceleration it wouldn't display. That happened at pretty much the same point because the Win7 and later GUI is hardware accelerated.

It would still disaply the BIOS and command prompt pre-windows just fine.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nam Taf posted:

I'm putting money on the GPU having moved out. I had a similar problem and the solution was re-seating the GPU because as soon as it tried to do any sort of hardware acceleration it wouldn't display. That happened at pretty much the same point because the Win7 and later GUI is hardware accelerated.

It would still disaply the BIOS and command prompt pre-windows just fine.

This was it! I've been building my own computers since I was in middle school, this is the first time I've had this happen. Somehow this computer survived a cross-country move and several repositions within my apartment but this was the tipping point, haha.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Glad you got it fixed. As mentioned, I had the exact same thing in various forms and I would have to poke and prod RAM and my GPU until it booted and recognised all RAM. Moving was a good way to trigger it but thermal cycles over the seasons also slowly caused it.

At any rate, it's far better than messing about trying to resolve software problems and possibly wiping your install clean in an effort to fix it when it ultimately achieves nothing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My Windows 10 is showing I have 75GB of "other" data installed on the storage settings screen but when I click on it, the biggest thing it reports to me is a 4.66 GB graphics driver file. How can I find out what the other 70GB "other" file is? Searching for it by size in file explorer didn't help.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Try CCleaner. I've always had problems with Windows 10 and that "other files" bit. Usually ends up being a gently caress off huge log file and CCleaner whacks it easily.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SeANMcBAY posted:

My Windows 10 is showing I have 75GB of "other" data installed on the storage settings screen but when I click on it, the biggest thing it reports to me is a 4.66 GB graphics driver file. How can I find out what the other 70GB "other" file is? Searching for it by size in file explorer didn't help.

I'd look at your disk with WinDirStat:
https://windirstat.net/

The windows 10 storage settings page is going to be a painfully bad way to manage your disk.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Free upgrade still works from 7 or 8/8.1. FIX OP.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The official word from Microsoft is that it's no longer free. The fact that it still works is something that's nice, but is unofficial.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Free upgrade still works from 7 or 8/8.1. FIX OP.

There's already been reports from several people online that they tried to do that and Windows 10 wouldn't accept it for free upgrade anymore. It's pretty stupid to claim you can rely on doing it in the OP.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently it's a hidden folder on C called found.000 that's taking up so much room. How can I delete this file? Nothing is letting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apparently it's a hidden folder on C called found.000 that's taking up so much room. How can I delete this file? Nothing is letting me.

Checkdisk makes those when it finds file fragments.

http://www.howtogeek.com/282798/what-are-the-found000-folder-and-file0000chk-file-in-windows/
Is your hard disk okay? Maybe check it with Crystal Disk Info.

If the folder has nothing useful in it, apparently you can just use an elevated dos prompt and rd found.000 /s

I haven't tried it myself but that seems to be the main answer for people who have an issue removing the directory.