Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
What most people dont seem to realise about gargs is that you can just do the boss later. Theres a ton of optional content around the boss so you can just come back stronger and kill them easily. Of course most dont realise this because the boss isnt that hard anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Huh. So I didn't realize that if you got summoned to a place with multiple red phantoms, if the others die first you get concords and stay in the world. Just got three on one trip. Up to 17 might actually get this game platinumed after all.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IGgy IGsen posted:

RE: Size of the DLC: It's about as big as Crown of The Sunken King or Artorias of the Abyss. I personally don't think it's on the short side but it "only" has one (awesome) main boss fight, and one somewhat easy but cool optional one. So It's more of a subjective judgement, I think, but I can see where people are coming from. (I have footage of me playing through all the DLCs, and Ariandel took me a bit longer than Sunken King. Granted, this is with me knowing where to go already, so no figuring out the slight puzzle elements in Sunken King)

The benefit of Sunken King is that it gives you more of an illusion of openness, but in truth both of them can be relatively accurately described as a ring.

Comparing it to the Sunken King makes the DLC look like crap. The sheer variety of locals and enemies in SK is much more then the PW and in general it has a much stronger narrative then the PW. That doesn't even get to the bosses who the build up to for both of them is some of the best done in the series whilst the three stage boss fight is just a pain.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I played through SK but I couldn't tell you what the narrative was. Also I couldn't stand that first boss. People in this thread really love the crown areas, I feel compelled to say something each time because I really didn't have a fun time at all throughout most of them.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Sunken King? The DLC where one of the bosses was literally just three normal dudes?

You're crazy. The Ice Crabs at the bottom of the painted world constitute a better boss fight than that.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Normal dudes? Maybe I'm forgetting a boss. Is it the lady that summons gold people because gently caress that fight forever

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

7c Nickel posted:

Sunken King? The DLC where one of the bosses was literally just three normal dudes?

You're crazy. The Ice Crabs at the bottom of the painted world constitute a better boss fight than that.

To be fair, all three DLCs had a poo poo-tier boss.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Normal dudes? Maybe I'm forgetting a boss. Is it the lady that summons gold people because gently caress that fight forever

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Graverobber%2C+Varg%2C+and+Cerah

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh right that. Yeah completely forgot. I think that was annoying too because when I played DS2 summon signs would just not show up in sunken king and soling multi enemy fights is some fresh hell

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh right that. Yeah completely forgot. I think that was annoying too because when I played DS2 summon signs would just not show up in sunken king and soling multi enemy fights is some fresh hell

I had to re-do that boss fight so many times that all the enemies leading to it permanently died, and I had to rely on the NPC summons which was torture.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just reinstalled and found out my saves were deleted too so I gotta start a new guy. Not sure which route to go. Last time I was a sword and shield kinda guy. I think this time I'm going to be a magic guy. Maybe sorcery or pyro. I've also never done faith build or pyro. I hosed around a little with a magic user guy but not to any high level or cool spells. Any recommended fun builds? Can be of any variety. Getting the DLC too if that matters.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
The only way to really kill them was just to abuse making them jump off cliffs, then running at the archer guy, hitting him once, then once the rest of them got to you, jumping off the cliff again and repeating until the archer died. It was stupid and hacky as hell. Then again, I think that was one of those places that you were supposed to coop but there wasn't any real coop going on there. gently caress blue smelter demon though, what a loving piece of garbage that was.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

vandalism posted:

I just reinstalled and found out my saves were deleted too so I gotta start a new guy. Not sure which route to go. Last time I was a sword and shield kinda guy. I think this time I'm going to be a magic guy. Maybe sorcery or pyro. I've also never done faith build or pyro. I hosed around a little with a magic user guy but not to any high level or cool spells. Any recommended fun builds? Can be of any variety. Getting the DLC too if that matters.

Magic and most non-melee builds will basically be a Raw Astora Straight Sword or whatever until you get to catacombs or Irithyll anyway. You could go for the Assassin route where you use Hidden Body and Spook and Metal Gear your way through the game, it's supposedly pretty fun and ridiculous.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

vandalism posted:

If you go sorcery or faith you can use the pyro glove as well. Youll be limited to only some of the pyromancies since some of them need both int and faith. Both faith and sorcery builds kind of need to use pyro glove as well since some things are resistant to lightning or magic. My sorcery build used dark, magic and fire whenever needed.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm getting ready to take my guy into NG+, just need to get upgrade mats and a pale tongue.

I kinda want to try using Friede's Scythe (currently a poorly built quality/faith build), what would a good set of stats be for that?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The gank squad boss fight in the Sunken DLC is actually super good and fun as heck

Any boss fight where the main solution is to run around like a maniac and use the terrain to divide and conquer is a good one

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Gank Squad is a better fight than Champion's Gravetender which is just insulting.

Champion's Gravetender is so bad.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah I really hate that wolf. The hitboxes on it are so weird to me.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

The Gank Squad is a better fight than Champion's Gravetender which is just insulting.

Champion's Gravetender is so bad.

I always thought gank squad was a clever imitation of an actual DS1 gank squad. I only fought it when the DLC was new and there was a ton of co-op, however.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I can't believe a wolf boss might suck in this game where wolves run through terrain and attempt to telefrag you.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 30, 2017

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Yeah the optional bosses were lovely. Secret smelter demon was horrible as was the run to it. Trio of morons was also bad and the twin tigers had the worst lead up area in the game.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So... how do I backstab and/or riposte in DS1? I'm not even talking about PvP; I'm talking about PvE. I can easily do both those things in DS2 and DS3 but I haven't managed it even once in DS1. I can be directly behind a hollow and my attempted backstab ends up just being a normal slash. I can guard break a hollow but by the time I go for a riposte, the drat thing already has its shield back up. It's becoming beyond frustrating.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Drop your shield if you had it up, and otherwise you're probably used to delaying/pausing a bit longer in DS2/DS3 where you actually want to backstab/riposte fairly immediately in DS1.

For backstabs the angle that actually counts as "back" can also be misleading, though that's true in all three games. And in DS1 you can't riposte after a shield break (kick), but you can smack them around without them blocking. You have to actually parry an attack to riposte in DS1.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The backstab detection code in DS1 isn't too great. Keep in mind you both need to be on relatively the same Z-axis as the thing you're trying to backstab, and its back needs to be relatively free of obstructions so that it has room to align you with the opponent's back.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I hate that gank squad boss in the DS2 DLC. It's complete bullshit. That and that double ghost wolf or whatever they are in the other DLC are the only two bosses in the entire Soulsborne series I've never beaten. gently caress those guys.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Thanks for the tips!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I found the ganksquad to be quite doable, I got the two melee ones to fall into a pit chasing me and then I beat up the archer. The trick is that Fake Havel doesn't have Real Havel's infinite poise and a large club 2h overhead hit will floor him every time.

gently caress the Yet Another Huge Cat/Dog: this time with extra Yet Another Huge Cat/Dog and the literal recoloured Smelter Demon though. I ended up just copy and pasting my save while standing at their portals rather than run through their areas again.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I didn't mind Cool Ranch Demon entirely because Smelter Demon is one of my favorite fights in the series. So fighting him again was fine in my book! :downs:

Double cats in the Ivory King DLC was horrid though. Its the only boss in the entire series I didn't beat solo, because both the way the fight is designed and the run up to it are horrid without a phantom. I still give Frigid Outskirts credit for being a unique idea though. It needed to be executed way better but potential was there.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Frigid outskirts was basically a lovely snowy version of tomb of the giants.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Frigid Outskirts sucks, but I think Lud & Zallen is a better boss than Aava by itself.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

All of loyce is lovely gently caress that dlc

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Actually, all of Loyce is really Good, except Frozen Outskirts

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like Eleum Loyce because when the DLC first came out people were like "Is this the ruins of Anor Londo??? :eyepop:" and well look how that turned out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CJacobs posted:

I like Eleum Loyce because when the DLC first came out people were like "Is this the ruins of Anor Londo??? :eyepop:" and well look how that turned out.

Yeah instead they made a completely different snowy ghost city that is actually Anor Londo.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Completed Anri's quest finally.

Why can't I find her wandering around anywhere? I looked where Horace was, half way fortress, and all up and down the road of sacrifices.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

lite_sleepr posted:

Completed Anri's quest finally.

Why can't I find her wandering around anywhere? I looked where Horace was, half way fortress, and all up and down the road of sacrifices.

Are you also doing the Lord of Hollows questline?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I've done that already in other games, so no. This playthrough was specifically to complete the Anri questline. I really wanted to hear Audrey's dialogue when we destroyed Eldridge, but I was subjected to The Standard "you're someone dies while you finish off the boss before the death animation completes." She wasn't alive after her Aldritch died, but her summon disappeared, I got her sword from Ludleth, and now I'm just looking forward to say one last said goodbye to my favorite waifu.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Anri is at the cathedral of the deep near the shield at the first bonfire after you get the sword.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Annath posted:

I'm getting ready to take my guy into NG+, just need to get upgrade mats and a pale tongue.

I kinda want to try using Friede's Scythe (currently a poorly built quality/faith build), what would a good set of stats be for that?

What level are you? I can make you an optimized build if you just want to copy one. Otherwise you just want min stats (obviously) and as much Dex and Int as you can get. Dex affects the physical damage while Int affects the magical damage. It's a good weapon for hybrid Sorceror builds for that reason, the AR can get really nuts.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hey is it just me or is the game super optimized these days? I just realized I get a solid 60 fps every time all the time.

It sure wasn't like this during my first playthrough, so what gives did they actually do some good with the patches or could it have been some weird hardware change on my end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've never even seen the double cat boss because I detest the frozen outskirts that much

I've completed every other area and defeated every other boss in the series, but that was just lame