Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Wait wait wait. You mean I can't make extra colonies at other squares on the world map?

I assumed that colony 1 would freeze as I went to play with for example colony 2. That I could build a fort at a nearby area to mine for resources and then send those back home. Switch between maps as I pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No, any time you attack a settlement it will reform the caravan a day later. Those maps are meant to be temporary.

Is this a day after the attack starts or a day after you win? Can you do a prolonged siege?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dejawesp posted:

Wait wait wait. You mean I can't make extra colonies at other squares on the world map?

I assumed that colony 1 would freeze as I went to play with for example colony 2. That I could build a fort at a nearby area to mine for resources and then send those back home. Switch between maps as I pleased.

You can. Just not by attacking another colony. You have to settle a new colony there. And they don't freeze, they're both active at the same time.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can. Just not by attacking another colony. You have to settle a new colony there. And they don't freeze, they're both active at the same time.

So double raids, double breakdowns and double battery fires?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dejawesp posted:

So double raids, double breakdowns and double battery fires?

Yep

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
My game said that I can't settle a new colony unless I abandon my old one. I don't get it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

My game said that I can't settle a new colony unless I abandon my old one. I don't get it.

You have to increase the number of simultaneous colonies in the options menu, it isn't officially supported.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I just had a refugee arrive that was addicted to Luciferium. Funny he failed to mention that when he came screaming for his life, chased by raiders.

Talk about setting me up for a mood hit. It seemed only right that I took a kidney, lung and then sold him into slavery. He owed me.

Poor Andy hasn't been the same since his accident. And on top of having 60% in everything useful. He's also a slowpoke.

He's basically furniture that eats, has breakdowns and hits on my lesbian bionic super soldiers.

I think he's due for an organ donation and sale into slavery.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Amazing how quickly Rimworld converts a new player into a terrible, terrible person.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Amazing how quickly Rimworld converts a new player into a terrible, terrible person.

Hey now Andy has had plenty of chances to shape up and become a contributing member of society.

I kid you not. Right after I made that post:

Of course she rejected you Andy. You're a 40 year old cripple and your highest stat is level 9 construction.

Izolda is a 26 year old level 14 Doctor who has probably killed a hundred raiders and held the line through three infestations, sacrificing an eye and a leg in service to the colony. She is a loving war hero, and you are dog food if you cause any damage during this impotent rampage.

Edit:

Surgery time. I think I'll have Izolda do the deed.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 29, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Of note, Psychology makes it so that pawns learn each other's sexuality after attempting to romance them, and will rarely try to romance again someone they know to have an incompatible sexuality.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Of note, Psychology makes it so that pawns learn each other's sexuality after attempting to romance them, and will rarely try to romance again someone they know to have an incompatible sexuality.

She doesn't actually have the "Gay" stat. She rejected him because he's a useless loser. Not because she has the gay.

The psychology mod looks interesting but it feels a bit heavy for me. I have enough to do at the moment.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Everything that doesn't simply increase the variety of what's in vanilla is entirely automated. It doesn't increase colony management at all, really.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Everything that doesn't simply increase the variety of what's in vanilla is entirely automated. It doesn't increase colony management at all, really.

Really? It looks like a lot of stuff. And the whole mayor thing on top.

Meanwhile Andy caught malaria while in jail and I even gave him some Penoxycyline. But do I get any thanks? Of course not. Instead he goes berserk. I'm considering taking his peg leg so he stays in bed. Will that affect his value to slavers? Can you even sell someone who can't walk?

How fast do people wear out these armored vests just from wearing them? I'm feeling like all I do is build armored vests and it's a huge sink for valuable components.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 29, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

You have to increase the number of simultaneous colonies in the options menu, it isn't officially supported.

Can you quickly tell me how to do this? I didn't see anything in dev mode or in the regular options menu that I could change. Is it a file edit?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Teikanmi posted:

Can you quickly tell me how to do this? I didn't see anything in dev mode or in the regular options menu that I could change. Is it a file edit?

Load up your colony and open the options menu, there is a slider that lets you choose the maximum number of simultaneous colonies.

I've got mine on three, and I'm running two full time colonies right now with no technical issues or bugs.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

I don't know what's wrong with my colony now. Moods are okay. No raid for days but people are just mismanaging everything. There's clothes at the crematorium that has been laying there for a week without being burned. A corpse at the entrance became a skeleton. Crops are harvested but left out. I haven't given any orders to do much of anything lately but people seem super busy just doing gently caress all. Busy busy busy but nothing is being done.

Busy busy making components but the total just goes down. Busy busy making rifles but no rifles are being finished. The machine shop has 11 unfinished items laying around and people start new ones. I sent people to chop wood an in game week ago but the wood is just laying out without being hauled. No one is cleaning either.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 29, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dejawesp posted:

I don't know what's wrong with my colony now. Moods are okay. No raid for days but people are just mismanaging everything. There's clothes at the crematorium that has been laying there for a week without being burned. A corpse at the entrance became a skeleton. Crops are harvested but left out. I haven't given any orders to do much of anything lately but people seem super busy just doing gently caress all. Busy busy busy but nothing is being done.

Busy busy making components but the total just goes down. Busy busy making rifles but no rifles are being finished. The machine shop has 11 unfinished items laying around and people start new ones. I sent people to chop wood an in game week ago but the wood is just laying out without being hauled. No one is cleaning either.

Sounds to me like a dumping stockpile (or many stockpiles?) was or were deleted accidentally. Sometimes I find I accidentally delete all of my growing zones for some reason. Could be a bug.

Lou Takki posted:

Load up your colony and open the options menu, there is a slider that lets you choose the maximum number of simultaneous colonies.

I've got mine on three, and I'm running two full time colonies right now with no technical issues or bugs.

Wow, I completely missed that. Thanks!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Lou Takki posted:

At what map size?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Lunethex posted:

At what map size?

Ehhh, I don't remember what I chose when I started this colony and I'm not sure where to check?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
using EPOE, I have one pawn with a major artery blockage and another pawn with asthma. can't get hyperweave to make proper replacement organs, and i sure as poo poo am not installing these terrible surrogate organs that riddle my boys with penalties

but wait

perhaps I could cram them into a prisoner and take their healthy organs instead?

answer: YUP

thank you for your donations, jackal men. i hope you enjoy your slasher returned with a busted heart and your grenadier returned constantly gasping for breath.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Teikanmi posted:

Sounds to me like a dumping stockpile (or many stockpiles?) was or were deleted accidentally. Sometimes I find I accidentally delete all of my growing zones for some reason. Could be a bug.

Everything is fine there. Maybe I just have too many assassin colonists (can only fight not work) and their combination of being assholes that eat just wears it all down.

The 6 thermo generators are breaking even with the base power need. I wanted to expand into hydroponics but I'll need more power.

Seriously. 27 colonists and the rate they wear out armored vests from passive use is killing my steel and components supply. The build time of the vests and components is also taxing labor. Does anyone else have this problem?

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 29, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't you see, the terrible person was inside you all along :glomp:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
more fun yesterday:

i somehow had a loving thrumbo self tame and went to the wiki looking for stuff on that. i normally ignore thrumbos so this was the first time I had anything to do with them. the wiki basically says "I have no idea why you'd tame this but if you do he will kill poo poo with a quickness in melee" so I put the guy on a pasture grassy knoll outside he base and basically figured anyone who attacks him deserves what he gets

holy poo poo

do they get a lot

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Don't you see, the terrible person was inside you all along :glomp:

Now that's a thread title!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

Everything is fine there. Maybe I just have too many assassin colonists (can only fight not work) and their combination of being assholes that eat just wears it all down.

The 6 thermo generators are breaking even with the base power need. I wanted to expand into hydroponics but I'll need more power.

Seriously. 27 colonists and the rate they wear out armored vests from passive use is killing my steel and components supply. The build time of the vests and components is also taxing labor. Does anyone else have this problem?

32 colonists and counting with armor vests + kevlar helmets for all. I do spend a lot of steel on maintaining that level of readiness for sure, but with deep drilling and two component tables its attainable. Just gotta keep that steel flowing. I also keep ~6 sets of power armor ready to go, I only have them wear the power armor when I really need it. I'm trying to get to the point that I've got 2-4 colonists in power armor all the time for fast response. I have my second colony to worry about, in case they come under serious attack I load up 4-6 colonists in power armor and transport pod them to the battle field. My second colony is at the limit of the transport pod range.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Lou Takki posted:

32 colonists and counting with armor vests + kevlar helmets for all. I do spend a lot of steel on maintaining that level of readiness for sure, but with deep drilling and two component tables its attainable. Just gotta keep that steel flowing. I also keep ~6 sets of power armor ready to go, I only have them wear the power armor when I really need it. I'm trying to get to the point that I've got 2-4 colonists in power armor all the time for fast response. I have my second colony to worry about, in case they come under serious attack I load up 4-6 colonists in power armor and transport pod them to the battle field. My second colony is at the limit of the transport pod range.

4 component benches and still it's going down.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

4 component benches and still it's going down.

Do you have a night and a day shift going on components?

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Lou Takki posted:

Do you have a night and a day shift going on components?

4 benches set to "Make until we have 300"

On a side note. Since I had Andys peg leg removed. He has caused no trouble at all.

Does a sunlamp really use 1600 watts? Half a thermal power plant?

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 29, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Dejawesp posted:

4 benches set to "Make until we have 300"

On a side note. Since I had Andys peg leg removed. He has caused no trouble at all.

Does a sunlamp really use 1600 watts? Half a thermal power plant?

this may help but you may have a bitch of a time finding enough steel and legendary crafters for it. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=822890455 Also yes sunlamps take up a really gross amount of power to discourage you from using it for anything but indoor farming.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What file do I need to edit to make breakdowns less common? I understand the idea of having component-based technology need spare parts, but the rate you bleed components is ridiculous.
Also now that unpowered hydroponics nearly instantly kill all plants, it means solar flares kill all your hydro-crops. Since I generally get a solar flare at least once a year, and cold snaps or just plain old winter kills everything outdoors, it's made it pretty much impossible to grow devilstrand.

I think i'm going to start a new fort because that psychology mod only applies to new colonists and from the sound of it gets rid of the game's weird borderline mra/incel romantic relationship poo poo where all your dudes will be constantly angry at being rebuffed by fee-males.

I'd love a way to stop fights too. Fights should be a result of a poorly managed colony. So often I wish I had a dwarf fortress style "hammerer" to hammer the poo poo out of idiot colonists picking fights. drat colony almost got wiped out because my 2 best shooters got into a fight, put each other in hospital with serious injuries and a lost eye, and moments later about 20 tribals attacked our for of about 7. gently caress you fighting is illegal I will have rule of law in my colony. Have a threat of jail time, maybe some therapist so people can deal with their baby emotions?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 29, 2017

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Dejawesp posted:

Equipping guns just makes them keep the shield but complain about it. I set everyone as "soldier"

Pawns won't auto-unequip shields when they have guns, you have to manually tell them to drop it (hit the down arrow icon on the equipment screen). Once they have a gun equipped, they'll never autonomously equip a shield.

Baronjutter posted:

Almost every animal I have, from self tamed squirrels to dogs all have alcohol tolerance extreme and they're drunk all the time. They all leave their designated areas to binge drink. Is this... normal?

Animals consider beer to be a food of last resort. But animals also don't look all that far for food, so it's easy for them to think beer is the only thing around that they can eat and then go for it. Always make sure you have kibble/whatever you want your animals to eat near your beer stockpiles.

Dejawesp posted:

By default, hauling and cleaning are some of the lowest priority tasks. If you've queued up a poo poo ton of higher priority stuff, they'll never get to the hauling. I try to always have a third to a half of my pawns with hauling or cleaning as their top priorities.

Lots of unfinished things means they're fighting over crafting benches. Try to have fewer active jobs on each crafting bench, ideally just one; then once a pawn starts working at that bench no one else will take jobs on it and it will always be available for that pawn to resume. And for things that have a quality, make sure you're not letting low skill pawns work them.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

What file do I need to edit to make breakdowns less common? I understand the idea of having component-based technology need spare parts, but the rate you bleed components is ridiculous.
Also now that unpowered hydroponics nearly instantly kill all plants, it means solar flares kill all your hydro-crops. Since I generally get a solar flare at least once a year, and cold snaps or just plain old winter kills everything outdoors, it's made it pretty much impossible to grow devilstrand.

I think i'm going to start a new fort because that psychology mod only applies to new colonists and from the sound of it gets rid of the game's weird borderline mra/incel romantic relationship poo poo where all your dudes will be constantly angry at being rebuffed by fee-males.

I'd love a way to stop fights too. Fights should be a result of a poorly managed colony. So often I wish I had a dwarf fortress style "hammerer" to hammer the poo poo out of idiot colonists picking fights. drat colony almost got wiped out because my 2 best shooters got into a fight, put each other in hospital with serious injuries and a lost eye, and moments later about 20 tribals attacked our for of about 7. gently caress you fighting is illegal I will have rule of law in my colony. Have a threat of jail time, maybe some therapist so people can deal with their baby emotions?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=848365865 social makes fights less brutal.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726244033 replaces constant breakdowns with a maintenance thing, you can still get breakdowns if no one is maintaining the stuff.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Baronjutter posted:

You can grow things indoors without using hydroponics. Just make a room over soil, and then light it with a sunlamp and heat it. And you have to for devilstrand since you're not allowed to plant it in hydroponics in the first place.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Thefluffy posted:

this may help but you may have a bitch of a time finding enough steel and legendary crafters for it. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=822890455 Also yes sunlamps take up a really gross amount of power to discourage you from using it for anything but indoor farming.

That looks great. I'll check it out.

Zhentar posted:

Pawns won't auto-unequip shields when they have guns, you have to manually tell them to drop it (hit the down arrow icon on the equipment screen). Once they have a gun equipped, they'll never autonomously equip a shield.

Yeah you're right. They'll start by complaining that they have no gun. Then you give them a gun and they complain about having a shield. So I take off the shield and it becomes auto-forbidden on the floor so I have to un-forbid it to get it to the stockpile.

Zhentar posted:

By default, hauling and cleaning are some of the lowest priority tasks. If you've queued up a poo poo ton of higher priority stuff, they'll never get to the hauling. I try to always have a third to a half of my pawns with hauling or cleaning as their top priorities.

Lots of unfinished things means they're fighting over crafting benches. Try to have fewer active jobs on each crafting bench, ideally just one; then once a pawn starts working at that bench no one else will take jobs on it and it will always be available for that pawn to resume. And for things that have a quality, make sure you're not letting low skill pawns work them.

This is what my bench looks like now (notice all the semi finished weapons and armor):

Should I give each bench its own task?

Edit: Randy just gave me 8 cases of flu and then 12 cases of mostly overlapping malaria. This will not end well.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 29, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Check Eugene, Darius and Suppy's work priorities. They might be starting stuff but too low skill to finish anything, and then their rank 1 priority comes up (farming or constructing or something) and they never go back.

This is why you should have one dedicated crafter.

For instance, this is how I have my priorities set up.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Also, you may already know this but if you want to get rid of unfinished items and clear up the task for someone else to start over you can click on the item and hit cancel to turn it back into its ingredients.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
In A16 cancelling unfinished things loses 25% of the ingredients.

Memory leak problem havers try this and let me know if helps: https://github.com/Zhentar/ZhentarFix/releases/download/v1.5alpha/ZhentarFix1.5_alpha.zip

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Three new early beta mods. All are built to give you more map freedom. "Early beta" means that final balance and production art are still to come...

Chemfuel Generator: Attaches a new chemfuel generator to the Refining technology; it burns chemfuel about 150% as fast as the fueled generator burns wood, and generates 7200w, twice what a geothermal generator produces. Intended to replace geothermal as your primary power source.

Stone Equalizer: All stone types are statistically equal - no more clicking around the map for "granite and". Stone walls rebalanced to 700 HP, doors to 500.

Soil Tiller: After researching Hydroponics, create Tilled Soil under Floors. It has 185% fertility, reducing a colony's need for rich soil. I'd like to make the colonist re-plow the earth each time the crop is harvested, but that is a substantial amount of code to design and write later.

... and Riot Shield, which is a touch closer to "production-ready".

straw man fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So even with a skilled doctor, a very nice medical room, and proper medicine, malaria still seems to be a 100% death sentence for my people. The anti-malaria drug seems to do nothing since it's preventative. I keep having to save, edit my save file to increase immunity by 20% or so, and then they have a chance to survive. My people always die at about 95% immunity, the malaria just always seems a couple percent ahead of them.