Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Baronjutter posted:

So even with a skilled doctor, a very nice medical room, and proper medicine, malaria still seems to be a 100% death sentence for my people. The anti-malaria drug seems to do nothing since it's preventative. I keep having to save, edit my save file to increase immunity by 20% or so, and then they have a chance to survive. My people always die at about 95% immunity, the malaria just always seems a couple percent ahead of them.

Malaria seems devastating currently, I've not had quite as bad an experience as you but probably 70% of my pawns who get it have died since A16 arrived. The only thing that's been effective at saving anyone has been forcing bed rest at all times, they don't even get up to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Teikanmi posted:

Check Eugene, Darius and Suppy's work priorities. They might be starting stuff but too low skill to finish anything, and then their rank 1 priority comes up (farming or constructing or something) and they never go back.

This is why you should have one dedicated crafter.

For instance, this is how I have my priorities set up.

That is neat. I wanted to have as many people as possible on crafting because there's so much crafting to do and I figured they would just get better at it over time. Mine looks like this:

On another note I had another infestation today. Infestations being my biggest problem but I handled this one pretty well. I burned every room to the ground that had aliens in it. I hid all the colonists in the deep freezer that was "only" 21 degrees celc while the whole facility had an average of 81 while the infested rooms burned.

I think I'll advance on this strategy and split the base into sections that can be burned when required. As in the sleeping quarters split into three burn sections. Stockpile into four. Hospital and prison as one.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

So even with a skilled doctor, a very nice medical room, and proper medicine, malaria still seems to be a 100% death sentence for my people. The anti-malaria drug seems to do nothing since it's preventative. I keep having to save, edit my save file to increase immunity by 20% or so, and then they have a chance to survive. My people always die at about 95% immunity, the malaria just always seems a couple percent ahead of them.

I have never had a single death from malaria. Not even these flu + malaria cases. Penoxycyline works great against malaria. It used to be preventative but now it gives 61% immunity.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm pretty sure all of your problems are because you're not using manual priorities. Using basic check/no check is what newbies do, bruh. There's even yellow boxes to help you make sure you have your best on their main tasks.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dejawesp posted:

I have never had a single death from malaria. Not even these flu + malaria cases. Penoxycyline works great against malaria. It used to be preventative but now it gives 61% immunity.

The moment people get malaria I order them to eat the drugs and rest until healed. A couple 10+ skill doctors will administer standard medicine to them without delay, and other people feed them lovely fine meals. The medical room is full of excellent sculptures and patients seem happy. Every time riiiight before they get to 100% immunity they almost all die. When I edit the save before they die I always see the same thing: immunity is at like 92% and disease progress at 94%.

I've added a few mods that claim to not need a new save, who knows maybe something messed something up.

Oh also the climate I'm playing on gets a lot of snow during the winter, I thought malaria isn't so common in such climates?? Yet I get an outbreak at least every year.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Teikanmi posted:

I'm pretty sure all of your problems are because you're not using manual priorities. Using basic check/no check is what newbies do, bruh. There's even yellow boxes to help you make sure you have your best on their main tasks.

Yeah the problem is not using manual priorities. It's daunting at first but you'll figure it out in no time and it's not really a negotiation aspect of running a successful colony.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You're also going to have people with like, 0 crafting skill trying to make power armor and wasting your resources by making awful stuff all the time, and people loving up construction.

Seriously it pains me to look at that many colonists without manual priorities. Yeesh.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Baronjutter posted:

do note that even taken as a reaction to malaria, it will increase immunity to 61% if it's not there currently. since malaria/plague/etc all manifest at 40% progress, having some on hand to immediately get an edge on the disease is a big, big help. i had half of my 21 colonists get plague earlier today and i lost none of them.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Teikanmi posted:

Yeah, no wonder. Nobody is hauling anything because everyone has a different job that's higher priority than hauling. You have to specialize. Not using priorities is a "monkey on a typewriter" kind of approach, stuff will get done if you wait long enough but you could do it in a fraction of the time if you just set each pawn to do one, maybe two jobs.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Coolguye posted:

do note that even taken as a reaction to malaria, it will increase immunity to 61% if it's not there currently. since malaria/plague/etc all manifest at 40% progress, having some on hand to immediately get an edge on the disease is a big, big help. i had half of my 21 colonists get plague earlier today and i lost none of them.

Right taking it above 61% does nothing. The player needs to pause the game. Send all patients to bed and then pause again and set them all to get the meds.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Actually Dejawesp has enough colonists there that he can get by without manual priorities because he could literally have everyone assigned to one or two jobs and everything would still be covered. Still vastly less efficient though, and getting to this point must have been grueling as hell, I'm kind of impressed you stuck with it actually

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Mister Adequate posted:

Actually Dejawesp has enough colonists there that he can get by without manual priorities because he could literally have everyone assigned to one or two jobs and everything would still be covered. Still vastly less efficient though, and getting to this point must have been grueling as hell, I'm kind of impressed you stuck with it actually

I want to take credit but I can't. Those five white lines are my amazonian super soldiers (started out as six) that gave me the edge I needed to get anywhere. So far I have only tried playing on "some challenge Randy" and the game has been kicking my rear end over and over :negative:

I don't want to use Phoebe or Cassandra because it said those are worse mid to late game.

I also try to keep around 20 wolves/bears and they do a lot of hauling too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dejawesp posted:

Right taking it above 61% does nothing. The player needs to pause the game. Send all patients to bed and then pause again and set them all to get the meds.

it's much easier if you just force the patients to take the meds themselves and THEN go to bed

saves your doctors a lot of time and the extra few moments getting to bed will make no difference

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Coolguye posted:

it's much easier if you just force the patients to take the meds themselves and THEN go to bed

saves your doctors a lot of time and the extra few moments getting to bed will make no difference

Probably. I had no idea you could make them give themselves meds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

right click on the medicine and you will have a popout to prioritize taking the meds same way you would if it was a joint or something

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Dejawesp posted:

That is neat. I wanted to have as many people as possible on crafting because there's so much crafting to do and I figured they would just get better at it over time. Mine looks like this:

For many skills, the skill level affects both the quality of the output and the speed at which it is produced. Which means your low skill, no passion pawns will hog tons of time on the bench while being very very slow to get better and producing crap output, and your uber master pawns will be twiddling their thumbs or doing stuff they suck at.

Work types where pawn skill is particularly important:
  • Doctoring, affects tending quality and surgery success chance
  • Handlng, affects tame and training chance. There is a minimum time between each attempt for each animal, so low skill pawns will make it take much longer to complete successfully
  • Warden, affects recruiting chance. Also has a minimum interval between each attempt
  • Cooking, very low skill pawns cook slowly and have a high chance of causing food poisoning
  • Construction, affects quality for some items, and skill has an enormous impact on construction speed
  • Growing, low skill growers have a significant chance of destroying the plant without any yield when they attempt to harvest
  • Smithing, tailoring, and art affect the quality of the items produced and quality has a very significant impact on the item stats
  • Research, skill has a very signficant impact on research speed

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Oh my god, the moment a sapper raid discovers a new area full of angry centipedes and they practically wipe each other out :perfect:

Also, we had visitors at the time who got walloped apart from one woman who has snoozed on the grass nearby through the whole 4-way brawl.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Dejawesp posted:

4 benches set to "Make until we have 300"

On a side note. Since I had Andys peg leg removed. He has caused no trouble at all.

Does a sunlamp really use 1600 watts? Half a thermal power plant?

On your benches, do your work orders look like this?

This way there is always a spare work bill available for any qualified worker. And if they start a component on one bench, they can just pick it up and continue it on any other bench.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dejawesp posted:

That looks great. I'll check it out.

Yeah you're right. They'll start by complaining that they have no gun. Then you give them a gun and they complain about having a shield. So I take off the shield and it becomes auto-forbidden on the floor so I have to un-forbid it to get it to the stockpile.

This is what my bench looks like now (notice all the semi finished weapons and armor):

Should I give each bench its own task?

Edit: Randy just gave me 8 cases of flu and then 12 cases of mostly overlapping malaria. This will not end well.

This happens when you have multiple benches set to produce these things or you get an influx of them from another source. Someone started on one, and then you had enough to meet the "Until x" requirement, so they stopped working on them.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I keep getting CTD with my current game. Any way I can figure out what is going on with it? Opening up debug log shows my colonist Carys doing something the game doesn't like, but the game is still running, then stops. Thoughts on troubleshooting?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yes. First, tell us the "something" Carys is doing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The scenario editor is cool. I can have my tribal start but with a bit more tech so the early tech grind isn't so bad. We're a medieval tribe settling new land, got all the basics before electricity.
Oh cool I spent forever rolling up my colonists and my highest research skill is 1. Guess I'm restarting :( Sometimes I wish it was just a point buy system because rolling a million times isn't so fun.

Oh also my first immigrant was abrasive and addicted to luciferium, then my next was someone chased by bandits who turned out to be a jealous pyromaniac woman hater. Not too upset about restarting.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

First volcanic winter. Stocked up on parkas and expected snow and hellish cold temperatures.

+20 in the day and +3 at at night. And this was in winter too.... weak.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Volcanic winter isn't much colder than the base winter of whatever biome you're in, the real downside is the sun is filtered, so solar panels provide less power and plants grow slower (unless lit by a sun lamp).

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

Volcanic winter isn't much colder than the base winter of whatever biome you're in, the real downside is the sun is filtered, so solar panels provide less power and plants grow slower (unless lit by a sun lamp).

Aw what a disappointment. I expected a winter themed toxic fallout. Where colonists needed warm clothes to go outside for extended periods and where heaters would have to run full force just to survive.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes. First, tell us the "something" Carys is doing.

Jesus yea you are right, dunno why I was being so lazy with my info.

"Carys started 10 jobs in one tick. ThinResult=(job=milk A=Thing_Lamia6063 sourceNode=RimworldJobGiver_work) lastjobGiver=RimworldjobGiver_Work
"Carys started 10 jobs in 10 ticks. Lastjobgiver=, cut job. Def=wait, curDriver=verse.ai.jobdriver_wait"

(Actually now that I have read it more closely and checked the lamia turns out the lamia had been fully injured and immobile. I debug killed her and it fixed the problem. Thanks for prompting me to look at it more closely Cup Runneth Over.)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Dejawesp posted:

Aw what a disappointment. I expected a winter themed toxic fallout. Where colonists needed warm clothes to go outside for extended periods and where heaters would have to run full force just to survive.

This is basically what the conditions in the ice sheet biome are like 100% of the time, so you can start a colony there if you want to experience this. You can modify your start to give you parkas if you want a less lethal go of it, although there ARE people who do ice sheet unmodified tribal starts. Fun fact: geothermal vents are a heat source if you enclose them inside, no matter whether they have a generator on them or not. They're a pretty good starting point for an ice sheet base.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm looking to put a bionic arm on my best melee fighter. Does it matter which arm I replace? I don't want to replace his left arm if he swings with his right or whatever.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Millennial Sexlord posted:

I'm looking to put a bionic arm on my best melee fighter. Does it matter which arm I replace? I don't want to replace his left arm if he swings with his right or whatever.

You'll need to replace both otherwise it'll be a flip as to if he hits with the bionic one.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

they swing with both so you will need to replace both, also if you give them a weapon of any kind they will use that weapon instead of their fists

what i'm saying is, just give them a superior plasteel knife or broadsword, it'll be easier and more effective

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Oddly enough, it's ranged fighters that benefit from bionic arms, since ranged weapon accuracy benefits from the improved Manipulation. Assuming the wiki is accurate, melee accuracy only benefits from Consciousness and Sight stats, so you want bionic eyes on your melee guys. Melee damage and speed is entirely determined by the weapon, and the basic fact is that while bionic arm punching is better than basic human punching, it's way worse than giving your guy a plasteel longsword.

If a guy has one bionic arm and no melee weapon he will punch with it 50% of the time, no matter which arm it is. If he has a melee weapon he will always use that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Teikanmi posted:

I once made one of my colonists go mad by forcing her to repeatedly eat her own husband's corpse over and over

She would bite of random parts (nose, then toes, then heart, then brain) until every last part was eaten and the corpse just disappeared and she went nuts. I guess she ate the bones too :v:

Lol haha that's not weird and horrifying at all lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: Figure I'd ask: there's no way of just dragging a worker onto something? You can only passively tell it it can't do X Y or Z and hope he goes off to do what you want?

I fear this is more Dwarf Fortress than I'm interested in.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 30, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MisterBibs posted:

e: Figure I'd ask: there's no way of just dragging a worker onto something? You can only passively tell it it can't do X Y or Z and hope he goes off to do what you want?

I fear this is more Dwarf Fortress than I'm interested in.

You can usually just right click a job with the pawn selected and select the menu option to force it. Just be aware that the manual forcing can be infuriatingly temporary, so your pawn will get halfway through mining that wall, then bail to go carve a sculpture or something. This leads to an unfortunate amount of babysitting your workers.

Good gravy am I glad that manually forced cleaning now works for an area instead of one tile at a time.

Look at manual priorities too, that might be closer to what you want.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

quote:

A bionic arm's strength gives its bearer a melee attack of 9 damage when an attack uses that arm, compared to 5 damage from a natural arm.

This doesn't mean that it adds the damage to attacks using that arm, as in swinging swords? It means attacks USING that arm, like punches only?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Millennial Sexlord posted:

This doesn't mean that it adds the damage to attacks using that arm, as in swinging swords? It means attacks USING that arm, like punches only?

Correct.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah for real just give a melee man a plasteel sword you'll be happier

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE
Dec 10, 2001
I send you this file in order to have your advice!
Just had a thrumbo randomly self tame really early into this current game. I thought, sweet that will really help with fending off raiders until I get some turrets up.

I was immediately hit with a raid of only 3 dudes. They started attacking the thrumbo first and I assumed I wouldn't even need my colonists drafted, even though I didn't get a chance to train the beast. Well the thrumbo hosed up the first raider real good, then proceeded to munch some grass while the other 2 raiders used him for target practice. I got my colonists to help kill the raiders but my thrumbo was bleeding out then developed an infection. A colonist patched it up literally 1hr before it would have bled out. As it was recuperating it died from the infection...

I was very disappointed but cant complain I got free thrumbo meat/fur/horn.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Coolguye posted:

yeah for real just give a melee man a plasteel sword you'll be happier

I have them with a Superior Plasteel Longsword already, just trying to make them stupid. Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Yay, I got a new colonist!

... dude doesn't do labor. He's an actor. Literally all he can do is artistic stuff. :negative: