Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Mission 52 – W-Infinity

: We’ve successfully descended upon the Gulfer homeworld!
: Then the only way left for us is forward! Deploy all troops!

: Enemy troops incoming from the royal palace!

: Yow… they’re really rolling out the red carpet for us.
: Still, we’ve also got them against the wall.
: Hmhmhm… this land shall be your tomb, humans.
: He also came down here…!
: A troublesome guy for a troublesome planet…
: He’s the Gulfer Emperor’s right-hand man. It stands to reason he’d be here.
: None of you stand a chance of defeating me… Yet, you will still fight?
: drat, straight! We heard a buncha guys go on about how they were immortal and it never panned out! Ya know what that means?!
: That there is no such thing as someone immortal?
: Yeah! And if someone like that does exist, then bring him out here!
: Well, you needn’t wait long. It is I, truly.
: O-Oh, I... see.
: Heeey! The hell are you doing agreeing with him?!
: N-No, I didn’t mean to…!
: Figured that was gonna be real smooth and, instead, you just got egg on your face, huh?
: Well, that’s Kaine for you.
: Zip it! What I wanted to say was…
: The end will always, eventually, come for everything that is… Such is the way the world works and you, Zero, cannot flee from that either.
: Yeah, that’s it! That’s what I wanted to say!
: … And the eggs just keep on piling up.
: That’s only gonna make it harder for him to keep the protagonist spot.
: Aaah, enough nitpicking!
: Hmph… your logic does not apply to the Gulfer. Take a look at this planet – ruled by His Majesty the Emperor, it has been granted everlasting prosperity.
: The Gulfer are immortal, eternal… as you will soon learn.
: Then we’ve got some stuff for you to learn, too.
: That there’s nothing immortal or invincible in this world…!
: That death comes to all living things, without any prejudice…
: And that those whose hearts are ruled by darkness will never be granted eternity – exactly the same as Gades!
: Come on, Gulfer! This here’s our final battle!

Our target’s Zero, though the Gulfer were nice enough to toss a bevy of little mooks all around us to help build morale. Still a ton of Knights bunched up ahead (with more stuff incoming, obviously), so I’d absolutely suggest that you at least get a Meioh MAPW to weaken them. If you don’t, you’ll be staring at a lot of 15-17k+ HP mooks defending one another.

So let’s get to work.

And these guys are packing the same HP they had at the start of the game! What happened to those who had some 4.5k-ish health?

Regardless, we start tearing them up with Domon, the ships, Mazingers, Rom, etc.

Get to work, Akito. You gotta make up for lost time.

That’s a very dead Gulfer.

Meanwhile, Maillot and Quattro are doing their thing.

Hugo’ll join them since his barrier’ll keep him safe even if he’s mobbed.

First Knight down, dozens to go.

Keeping Ginga a bit back just to be safe. Nearby, Kaine shreds an Error with a Twin Laser Sword.

Enemy Phase!

There go the rest of the northern Gulfer group, as they fail to do anything against Bright.
Kaine gets pestered by the few southern Knights that care to move but he’s too dodgy for them.

Zero, oddly enough, goes for Kazuya instead of Ginga.

I didn’t expect that, so Kazuya takes a wallop.

Player Phase!

There go the last lil Gulfer.

Off to take out Zero. Lacking Prevail, we don’t even need to spend Valor on him.

Commanded support attacks really speed things up.

It takes very little to cut him down to size.

: Your last bit of defiance… But I’ll offer you a small bit of compassion and end this quickly.
: Shut the hell up! Everything we did would’ve been for nothing if we got dropped here!
: So there’s no way that’s gonna happen!

: Did that do it?!
: No, he’s reviving again!

: Has the fact that it’s impossible to defeat me not dawned on you yet?
: We’re not throwing in the towel… ever! Come back as many times as you want, we’ll wreck you until you stay down!
: Hmhm… That would be a very hard thing to do with your limited life span. You may be fine now but, eventually, your strength will break and you will fall. Why can’t you understand that fact?
: Psh, it’s you who can’t understand what Ginga’s talking about.
: Excuse me?
: He told us once that the moment you think it’s all over, then it’ll really be over.
: Nonsense. Your strength will fizzle out and this battle will be over before you even realize it.
: Were that the case, how do you figure we still managed to make it so far? Why do you care enough to attack us?
: …
: It’s because, deep inside, you actually fear humans – the heart, the will, that we’ve got and how it empowers our mechs…!
: That scares you and is why you Gulfer have been trying so drat hard to get rid of us, right?!
: I am afraid of humans…? Ridiculous. You humans, with your feeble hearts and bodies, are hardly a threat to the Gulfer.
: Why don’t you try breaking our hearts, then?
: You’re one to talk. Your heart – cradled in that black armor – is especially frail.
: But I don’t need that armor around my heart – not any more.
: How quaint. Then I shall endeavor to lay your hearts’ shattered remains before your eyes.

: Wh-What the hell?!
: S-Spiral Castles?!
: There are so many…!
: drat, that guy’s a mass-produced model? Wow.
: Correct. The one you defeated at Operation Screw Nail was Spiral Castle F-18… he was a single unit among thousands more.
: Oh, boy… that is so not what I needed to hear.
: Guess the Gulfer also subscribe to that “war is about numbers, brother” strategy, huh? (Didn’t help Dozle back then, Hikaru)
: Not the time for jokes, dumbass!
: Everyone forward – quickly! If we allow their offensive to proceed, Earth will follow in this planet’s footsteps!!
: (Indeed… it’ll end up just as our homeland of Arktos…!)

We still need to keep attacking Zero, though Masato’s making his way deep into the enemy lines.

With the few remaining units, we’ll get rid of this nearby Error.

There.

Kouji and Tetsuya take some potshots at Zero.

Enemy Phase!

All of you amuse me!
By the by, the Spiral Castles are ABSOLUTELY not worth the trouble of killing. They are exact copies of the one we fought before, complete with high Prevail and nearly 80k HP… and their cash payout is just 6k bucks. No, thanks.

Zero trades blows with a protected Ginga, with predictable results.

Player Phase!

Just a quick hit from Akito and Zero’s already in the red.

There he goes again.

: Hmhmhm… you’d best abandon your hope, humans.
: You goddamn cockroach! Just die already!!
: drat it… if only Hokuto was around…!
: What’s the matter, Ginga Izumo… are you feeling helpless by your lonesome?
: Zip it! If the two of us were together, you’d be getting wrecked real quick!
: Your act is very transparent – I can hear the dread in your voice.
: Wh-What'd you say?!
: And I believe I’ll bring this to a close now.

: M-More Spiral Castles?!

*Alarm!*

: What is it?!
: Incoming message from the outer Federation fleet! They’re being held up by a fleet of Spiral Castles and unable to support us!
: They’re popping out up there too?!
: This isn’t good… We’re going to be completely cut off unless we do something.
: Right. We need to figure out a way to destroy Zero…!
: Maybe you could stand a chance had you claimed the seventh one… Without, humans will not prevail against the Gulfer. That is simply the way it is, for the entire universe.
: Claim the seventh…? Then the Dendoh and the Ogre, wielders of the Data Weapons, really are the keys towards making it so…?!
: drat it...! Hokuto, Vega, Subaru… where are you?!

: There’s so much greenery and water… how can this be the Gulfer homeworld?
: It’s my first time seeing the surface, too…
: Huh…?
: I’ve lived my whole life in the underground royal palace. I had no idea the surface looked like this…
: Really…?
: But I was taught that there was plant life everywhere and that it was something of great importance.
: …The Gulfer was originally a single computer made to oversee this planet’s ecology. I suppose it didn’t forget its basic directive even after running amuck.
: D-Directive…?
: It was meant to control everything, from the weather to atmospheric pressure and more. We created the Gulfer as a means to keep this planet safe…
: Hold on a sec, mom! You mean this planet is…!
: Yes. It is our old homeland… Arktos.
: No way…!
: We spent our days knowing nothing but peace and tranquility, the Gulfer watching over everything… and that eventually led to it crowning itself the ruler of all and becoming the Emperor of the Machine Empire…
: Having entrusted our very lives to the Gulfer’s care, my people could only be annihilated. That was our penance for the crime of creating it… but we will not allow it to also destroy the people of Earth.
: Yeah…!
: The Gulfer Emperor will be at the palace's underground… but in order to reach and defeat it, we’ll have to break the seal…

*boom*

: Explosions…?!
: I guess the Magnate Ten’s already started fighting the Gulfer…!
: Then let’s get out there and help them wreck the Gulfer’s bosses!
: What is it, mom?
: I’m thinking about Zero’s ability… he might have been speaking the truth when he said that it’s impossible for human hands to destroy the Gulfer…

*People run over.*

: Master Subaru!!
: Thank goodness you’re OK-bari!
: What are you three doing here?!
: Now, what kind of greeting is that-jan?
: Master Altair asked us to look for you-dawa!
: Oh, I see… thanks.
: But the Magnate Ten’s having a tough fight-bari!
: They’ll be in danger if you don’t do something-jan!
: Mom, is there really no way for us to beat the Gulfer?!
: The Seventh God…
: Huh…?
: An old Arktos legend, and what made the Gulfer computer indestructible…
: It lived side-by-side with the people of Arktos, acting as our mightiest guardian by way of an ancient contract…
: There’s only a small piece of lore left about the Seventh God… “Always with they who stand in the defense of the planet… By the ancient contract, in times of peril, it shall empower the vessel to subjugate the menace.”
: The Seventh God, obeying that contract, blessed the Gulfer with a protective seal as it was said defender of this planet… So that none could ever destroy it…
: So that’s the Emperor’s secret…
: But you say that was just a legend, right? It’s gotta be a fairy tale!
: I want to hope so… but we need to assume that the Gulfer’s incredible might is bolstered by that protection.
: Then, the only way to beat the Emperor and the Gulfer would be…
: To break the protective seal… and that would only be possible with the Seventh God…
: Would that Seventh God be the seventh Data Weapon, then?
: Subaru…?
: My father… the Gulfer Emperor was always looking for the seventh Data Weapon. He never told me why but if it could actually destroy that seal…
: The Seventh God is a Data Weapon? Really?
: But we don’t have it… Is there a way to break the Emperor’s seal without?
: No… I don’t think that’s possible without all the Data Weapons.
: Then it’s all over-jan!
: It really is impossible to beat His Majesty-dawa…
: (But what that boy, Kaworu Nagisa, said…“The power and hope earned from the past, and the seventh light…”)
: (Ultimate hope lies inside Hokuto… What was he getting at…?)

*boom.*

: Th-the battle’s getting closer-bari!
: …Let’s go.
: !
: It’s true that we don’t have the seventh Data Weapon but… but that’s still no reason why we should give up!
: We need to find a way to pull through – to beat the Gulfer – even without the thing! Isn’t that right, mom, Subaru?
: Hokuto…!
: All this time we’ve fought with Ginga and our friends against not just the Gulfer but a bunch of other enemies… and we had a lot of close calls. But even when things looked impossible, we never gave up before trying!
: Because if you give up, that’s it! If you quit just because something’s said to be impossible, then that’ll really be the end!
: Hokuto, you…
: I’m getting back to Ginga. This might be impossible to win, but we still need to try it together…
: Throughout all these fights we had with Ginga, Leo and all the other Data Weapons, and the Magnate Ten, there’s never been anything we couldn’t pull off!
: … You’re absolutely right. If we gave up, then we’d have nothing. So all we can do is believe in our strength and give this our all…!

: Go on. Fight until you cannot fight anymore… and then I’ll see to your definitive end.
: Keep focusing your attacks on Zero, troops! Even if we can’t defeat him, we can at least try to immobilize him!

: Urk! Again?!
: Hmhmhmhm…
: The hell’s so funny, jerk?!
: You’re all pitiful creatures, humans… You wouldn’t be suffering as you are now with such things as hope. Without the Dendoh or Ogre, you’d capitulate peacefully.
: Say what!?
: You embody part of that hope, Dendoh… and now I’ll shatter it!
: Vector! FORM UP!!

: He!!
: Transformed?!
: Watch out, Ginga!!
: !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN8p-NWeyGI

: Gi-Ginga!!
: GINGA!!
: Kch, rrgh…! drat it, I ain’t giving up… no way…! I can’t let this be the end…! I still got so much I wanna do…
: There’re still a ton of stuff I have to do…!
: But it all ends here, Dendoh!!

: Hrm?!

: Blast you, Ogre!
: Ginga!!
: Ho-Hokuto… you idiot… what took you so long?!
: Sorry…!
: But fine… Once both GEARs are ashes, your hope will follow suit…
: You two will languish in everlasting despair! Die, Dendoh, Ogre!!
: Zip it! No one here’s gonna despair about jack!
: Right! We’ll fight together again, Ginga!!

: ?!

: The binding chains of despair disappear… At last, I may emerge in my rightful form…

: Th-That’s…!
: A phoenix…?!
: It’s…!
: The seventh Data Weapon… But why is it here? Where did it come from?
: This is…!
: By the wishes of all humans… I now offer a contract with you, new warriors…
: Hope is what I seek…
: “Hope”…?
: That which is limitless power…
: “Limitless power”…?
: Do you desire a contract, new warriors…?
: Hokuto!
: Ginga!
: Yep!
: FILE SAVE! PHOENIX!!

: That bird… was it…?
: Hm. It also showed up when Kiba was born.
: And that is the final Data Weapon?!
: I believe so. And its power… it is pure Hyribead…!
: Hokuto…!
: Ginga…! (from the Dendoh)
: Huh?! When did he get there?!
: It appears the Phoenix has summoned us to our seats…
: Brother…! You’re in the Ogre?!
: Now, Hokuto, Ginga! Call forth the Phoenix!

: Hokuto!
: Ready, Ginga!
: PHOENIX DRIVE! INSTAAAAALL!!

: That’s the seventh Data Weapon…
: The Seventh God…!
: Ginga! Look at the Dendoh’s energy gauge!
: Whoooa! It’s totally full!
: I-I recognize these readings… that energy is…!
: The Infinite Layer… It’s drawing the same limitless power as the Zeorymer…
: But why did the seventh Data Weapon show up right now?
: The Phoenix is hope incarnate… The boys’ hearts, filled with their unbreakable faith in the future, gave it form.
: As that boy said, the Phoenix lay within them…!
: It’s harder to see what’s right under your nose…
: Curses…! You may have the Phoenix but I shall still emerge victorious!
: That is only half a life… He will always endure, unless his other half is destroyed in tandem…
: Huh…?!
: “Half a life”?!
: Your ownership of the seventh one means nothing! I shall not falter!
: Hah… Is that a fact?
: What?!
: Phoenix Drive! INSTAAALL!!

: You have it as well?!
: Indeed! And this is the strength it has given me!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU_DHhJSCNc

: Hrk…! drat you…!!
: I’d wager even you felt that one.
: Brother…
: The Phoenix has mimicked the appearance of your younger self…
: Y-Yes…
: And now the Seventh God saw fit to also present me with one final chance to atone for my bloodstained past…!
: Altair…!
: Brace yourself, Zero! We’re running this show now!
: Hold up, Ginga! We’re not taking him out like that!
: Huuh?!
: Didn’t you hear what that voice just said? “He’ll always endure, unless his other half is destroyed in tandem.”
: Meaning we can keep beating him and he’ll just keep coming back!
: I heard it as well. His other half must be…
: The Emperor!
: I see… The Gulfer Emperor itself is Zero’s backup.
: Hmph… so much for being his “right-hand man”.
: Charge, Hokuto, Ginga! Head to the royal palace’s underground, release the protective seal and destroy the Gulfer Emperor!
: But…!
: We must end both of them at the same time! That’s why the Ogre and the Phoenix have come for me!
: Altair…!
: We each have our duty to perform! Fret not about me!
: Go, Ginga, Hokuto! You’ve our strength as well!
: Now’s the time for your fists to crush the Gulfer Emperor!
: OK!
: You’re not going anywhere, humans!
: I’m the one you’ve to worry about, Zero!
: I am immortal… eternal…! Bacteria like you will not conquer me!
: I care only about immobilizing you for now. The battle proper will start once the Dendoh’s dispelled the Emperor’s seal!
: You’ll die before that comes to pass, Altair!
: The men and women present have taught me what it means to have hope… So long as I have that, I shall not fall!!
: Behold now the strength of the human heart!!

Dendoh/Ogre Phoenix Alae

:ssj: UNLIMITED POWEEEEEEEEER! :ssj:

You thought the Gatling Boar was the most broken form the Dendoh had but you thought wrong! The Phoenix Alae is not only crazy powerful, both Dendoh and Ogre gain the new Infinite Layer ability which is, essentially, the S² Engine. They get a full refill of EN every turn and that means you can go crazy with the Final Attacks!

Mind you, the forms are not flawless. On the Dendoh’s side, only its weakest attack is post-movement and it’s a point-blank weapon; as for the Ogre, it only has the one attack which is range 1-3. Not the best there but at least the Dendoh can easily be sent into a pack of mooks and kill everything in counterattacks.
Finally, the dangerous days are finally over and Hokuto’s Iron Wall is back to make Ginga completely invincible. They can’t use the combined attack with Altair but the Phoenix’ weapons are stronger anyway.

Oh, and Vector Zero is also here. He’s the same as before, only with more of everything.
Lack of Prevail still means he’s rather fragile, relying solely on his dodginess to get by. He still won’t give you anything so just hold back – our primary objective now is to bring the Dendoh into the marked spot at the palace and inside.

Which means it’s time to plow the road.

A lot dead – not the Castles, of course. They’re bullshit.

And, hey, let’s check out the Dendoh’s “weakest” attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFI6OWDteDU
Nice.

Now it’s time to split our team a bit. The Dendoh’s heading in to deal with the Emperor – Kaine, Maillot, Hugo, Akito, Masato, Quattro and Vega will follow. Everyone else has words for Zero and will be staying up top.

Enemy Phase!

With all but two Knights dead, it’s just the Castles sniping away at Domon (and missing). Zero will always focus on Altair so make sure he’s packing Alert or it will HURT.

: What a familiar fighting stance… Countless lives have been claimed by those hands!
: And the man who once lay under our control, fighting humans as captain of the royal guard, now turns his blades at me… Why, this must be fate.
: Hmph… Our battle started seventeen years ago, when we first met within the palace...
: And, today, I’ll bring it to a close!

Was out of range…

Player Phase!

And in we go!

: This is the room of the seal…! The Gulfer computer’s inside!
: Alright!
: Break the seal, Phoenix!
: By the request of the new contract-bearers, I now release the ward of old!

: That’s…!

: I am the king! The king of this planet – the king of the entire universe!
: No one can rule the universe!
: And the universe doesn’t need a king!

: Grrooooaaaarrgh….!!
: That’s really—
: The Gulfer boss?!
: Still, we’ve come too far to lose to him!
: Grrooooaaaarrgh….!!

: Uurgh!
: You’re not… taking us out! No way!!
: You HUGE IDIOOOOOT!!

: We are always with they who stand in the defense of the planet… By our ancient contract, in times of peril, we shall empower the vessel to subjugate the menace!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDRkD1sULYY

: Alright! We got this now!
: Do you hear me, Dendoh? Both the Emperor and Zero need to be destroyed at the same time or it’ll all be pointless!
: Got it!
: We’ll handle Zero, so you focus on ending the Emperor!
: OK! This here’s the FINAL final battle!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Alright, so you NEED to destroy Zero and the Emperor together – if you don’t, you lose. While Zero’s a huge glass cannon, the Emperor is quite tough so you’ll want to send folks over here.
Problem is, the way over is a loooooong hallway, across a huge room, and the Emperor won’t move from his spot on the far side. Even your speediest guys will need some 3-4 turns to get to him and, while that’s going on, it’ll be up to the Dendoh to hold the line.

Gulfer Emperor
Pilot Skills:
  • Prevail L7
Mech Features:
  • Revival
  • Barrier
  • 10% HP Regen
Gulfer Emperor’s Voice Actor: Sho Hayami, of course

By far the toughest boss we’ve had: nearly 200k HP, strong as hell, big Prevail and stats all around, S ranks for huge accuracy and a Barrier to make him even bulkier. Send your strongest folks over here, leaving only a handful up top to deal with Zero, or you won’t be killing him in one round.
His strongest weapon can’t hit at range five or under but his “weakest” still hits like a truck. Pack Alert/Confuse’d Focus on your Reals or he’ll likely get good numbers – a clean hit is pretty much a guaranteed oneshot.

Insert here four turns of having my folks slowly reaching their target, all the while Domon dodge-tanked the Spiral Castles and Zero glared at Altair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01lRZZodHSQ
Oh, and the Emperor will always snipe at Dendoh on the first round because it vastly outranges the basic form.
At least I got its strongest weapon on tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1kSpKsxUHM
And the Phoenix Alae’s second best attack… I might have forgotten to use the FA. I’ll get it next mission.

Let’s wrap this up!

:siren: :siren:

: I… How could I ever call a monster like this my father…?
: Don’t let the past bind you, Subaru! You’re not a Gulfer anymore!
: R-Right!
: Gulfer Emperor… You might have been brought into this world as a protector of Arktos...
: But you are now nothing but a demon spreading destruction across the universe! And as part of the Arktos royal family… no, as just another human who wishes for peace, I will put a stop to you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m8QtnzAIGI
The other of the Emperor’s attacks.

: Doesn’t matter how huge the enemy is…!
: There’ll always be hope if we’re working together!
: Get over here! You’re gonna get an eyeful of our limitless power!!

: CUR…SE…YOU…HUM…ANS…!!

: Did we get ‘im?!
: Not yet! This isn’t over until Zero’s down!
: Quickly! Now’s the time to strike!

: I cannot be defeated… I cannot!
: You’re wasting your time! Whatever foe may appear, humans will never yield while hope lies in their hearts!
: And that applies to you as well!

: Gulfer! We’ll now bring peace to the spirits of the countless planets you’ve destroyed!
: The universe does not need humans! We, the Gulfer, have taken it upon ourselves to bettering it!
: And that’s where you’re wrong! Beings who don’t understand pain or sorrow can’t hope to create a better future!
: It’ll be the light that Ginga and Hokuto showed us – hope – that’ll illuminate that road… and now you’ll realize that!

--

: The secret of your immortality’s out! I suggest you make your peace while you still can!
: You think too highly of yourselves, humans! Even with the seal dispelled, your efforts will all be for naught face the Gulfer’s might!
: You value raw power that much, huh? Well, two can play that game! We, humans, will never fall to despair and now you’ll understand all the power we have!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3pMSY7Kr5I

: Earth’s beauty has no room for humans. If your world’s well-being is your concern, then lay down your weapons and perish.
: Not happening! A planet belongs to all the lives that exist in it, not a specific person or group!
: And I’m not about to let some heartless machines like you grab our world or our future!

: Behold the power of the Gulfer, humans!
: Alright, we’ve got something we can show you right back – something you bag of bolts never heard of! And that’s the power of the human heart, the power of hope!

: We’re ending you all here and now, Gulfer! This is for everyone back at Earth!
: Useless! Earth will be finished the second our Spiral Castle Fleet reaches it!
: No way, guy!
: We’ll show you what these “foolish” humans are capable of!
: We’ve got everyone’s hope riding on this! So we’re absolutely not taking anything but a win!

: I’ll smash your so-called hope until despair is all that remains, humans!
: Let’s see you try, buddy! Hope ain’t that easy to get rid of – and that goes double when you’re dealing with us!

: Surely you now realize the light that is born of the human heart – the light of hope!
: And what worth does such a thing have?! The Gulfer Machine Empire needs it not!
: Then you, too, will learn your folly as you lie conquered by the human heart... for it is the mightiest force of the universe!

: You insignificant humans!
: You’re finished, Zero!
: I am not…! Not to you worms… not to you!
: And now yours is the pitiful struggle!
: Rrrgh! You… you!!

: No, no, I refuse to accept this! I am immortal! I cannot fall to mere humans! I CANNOT!!
: Away with you, Zero! Disappear into the darkness along with the Gulfer Emperor!!
: drat you to hell…! ALTAAAIIIIIRR!!

We’ve confirmed the destruction of both Zero and the Emperor!
: The Spiral Castles and Robeasts out in space have stopped working!
: We’ve succeeded…
: Yeah… Victory is ours, Bright.
: My brother, we…!
: Hm. We have finally defeated the Gulfer…!
: We did it…!
: Yeah…!

: Ah, guys…
: You’re…

: Alone, we are weak and easily brought apart… However, together, nothing can match our strength.
: We are always with they who stand in the defense of the planet – of life.
: Ye guardians! Walk ever united towards your future! Go!

*The Data Weapons return.*

: Hokuto…
: Ginga…
: Let’s go!

Goodies earned are one Mom’s Stew and a Solar Sail.

And here are the handful of convos we missed:

: Dendoh! You may have claimed the seventh one but I still cannot be beaten!
: You’re not gonna be running your big mouth in just a bit!
: Our hearts will never give in… So long as we hold on to hope, we will win!

--

: Princess of Arktos! Your escape was the spark that ignited this fire!
: Those men sacrificed themselves to help me escape to Earth… and I know understand what was on their minds…!
: It was hope for a better future…! They entrusted those wishes to me and it is those that’ll destroy you all!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 26, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Isn't the new form supposed to be called "Phoenix Aile"? It uses the same characters as the Aile Strike Gundam uses in the games it shows up in.

Also, bless your heart, Kaine. You'll get those action hero one-liners down some day.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Isn't the new form supposed to be called "Phoenix Aile"? It uses the same characters as the Aile Strike Gundam uses in the games it shows up in.

Well, the thing is both the French "Aile" and Latin "Alae" would be written the same way (and they both mean "wings")...

The JP Wiki had it written as Alae, so that's what I went with. Plus, Latin is more divine sounding.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 26, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Well, the thing is both the French "Aile" and Latin "Alae" would be written the same way (and they both mean "wings")...

The JP Wiki had it written as Alae, so that's what I went with. Plus, Latin is more divine sounding.
Ah, I see. That make more sense then.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Up until this point, MX poses no difficulty to the point where I'd been playing the game without casting spirits the whole way through and, outside of that last Dragonar stage, it honestly wasn't a problem. The Gulfer Emperor changes that.

Brunom is not exaggerating when he says the Emperor can oneshot your units. If you've been speccing defensively (which, let's be honest, you haven't been doing because this is MX and so far all your units have been largely invincible), your supers with barriers/shields can handle him with some repair units next to them but only once every other turn to allow the healing to catch up... But other than that? Hope you like reals, because every boss is going to make mincemeat out of any super not named Zeorymer or Vikingfu. The HP Regen and the condition of having to defeat Zero and the Emperor at the same time is also a pain. I had to sloooowly assemble a support blob in the throne room that could take both of them at the same time.

It's kind of a dick move that the game basically goes "lol what is difficulty" for 50 stages only to jack up the stats of all bosses by the end.

By the end of MX I was suiciding my supers into the bosses and watching the money go down the drain. :negative:

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 26, 2017

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

Up until this point, MX poses no difficulty to the point where I'd been playing the game without casting spirits the whole way through and, outside of that last Dragonar stage, it honestly wasn't a problem. The Gulfer Emperor changes that.

Brunom is not exaggerating when he says the Emperor can oneshot your units. If you've been speccing defensively (which, let's be honest, you haven't been doing because this is MX and so far all your units have been largely invincible), your supers with barriers/shields can handle him with some repair units next to them but only once every other turn to allow the healing to catch up... But other than that? Hope you like reals, because every boss is going to make mincemeat out of any super not named Zeorymer or Vikingfu. The HP Regen and the condition of having to defeat Zero and the Emperor at the same time is also a pain. I had to sloooowly assemble a support blob in the throne room that could take both of them at the same time.

It's kind of a dick move that the game basically goes "lol what is difficulty" for 50 stages only to jack up the stats of all bosses by the end.

By the end of MX I was suiciding my supers into the bosses and watching the money go down the drain. :negative:
And then MXP goes one further with its HP bloat, thus prolonging your suffering.

Look at Zero's HP here, for instance. Now add about 50% more HP to what he has. And having to deal with him coming back to life over and over again. This stage (and a lot of these endgame finales) is not fun to play in MX Portable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It may be obvious, but it's worth pointing out that both the last stage and this one are named after the opening song of Dendoh: this one has the name of the song itself, while the previous one comes from a line in the opening itself. It's pretty nice.

What isn't nice is that this cut Ginga's most intelligent moment as well as the entire resolution to Subaru's character arc, although I can still hope that'll come later and it isn't here for gameplay purpouses.

MX still did a great job in showing how badass having Phoenix really was. That thing came at the very end of the second to last episode for very good reasons, during the entire series, Dendoh and Ogre's main weakness was their limited battery, so only one Final Attack could be done at any time before needing to recharge. The moment Phoenix Alae hits the field, all bets are off, infinite energy means infinite Final Attacks. The Data Weapons Spiral Attack, every Final Attack except Phoenix's own, is cool as hell in action and it looks great in-game too.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Can the Nadesico B get into the throne room, or is this just a stage for leaving the Aesties at home?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ardeem posted:

Can the Nadesico B get into the throne room, or is this just a stage for leaving the Aesties at home?

Ships can never enter any building, so the Aestis would need to stay up top with the Zero group.

The Black Sarana doesn't have the Gravity Wave Beam Requirement bit, mind, so its movement isn't limited.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Ardeem posted:

Ogre and your battleships are the only units which physically cannot enter the throne room.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
You had a little grammatical error there.

Brunom1 posted:

: Wh-What you say?!
: You have no chance to survive make your time.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

I've just come to realize that the Gulfer homeworld never really stopped in its trek towards Earth while this whole thing was going down... meaning even with the Emperor dead, inertia should still pushing Arktos right for us. Was this addressed in the series? I don't think it was...

I hope the colonies can build some inertial dampers in, what, a few hours or else we might be in trouble! :stare:

...Or maybe we can just have the Shuffles quietly kick the planet away in-between missions. I'm certain they could.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 27, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Brunom1 posted:

I've just come to realize that the Gulfer homeworld never really stopped in its trek towards Earth while this whole thing was going down... meaning even with the Emperor dead, inertia should still pushing Arktos right for us. Was this addressed in the series? I don't think it was...

I hope the colonies can build some inertial dampers in, what, a few hours or else we might be in trouble! :stare:

...Or maybe we can just have the Shuffles quietly kick the planet away in-between missions. I'm certain they could.

This is Super Robot Wars, so obviously after this game is handled, they'll try to enact a plan to stop Arktos, but they'll end up sidetracked by unexpected time travel or getting pulled into La Gias or Byston Well or wherever Escaflowne takes place or something. Also Dendoh won't be included in this adventure so they'll be incapable of articulating the precise reason the problem occurred in the first place without using extremely vague terms.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Brunom1 posted:

In the show, Arktos is immobilized (as announced by Hokuto's dad on the news), and it is implied that the planetary control units are still accessible after disabling Gulfer. The Dendoh epilogue ends years later with the characters running through a field on Arktos, with both planets surviving.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh hey all these colonies and moon people have a planet to live on now.

Neo new Ark Tokyo 4 here they come

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh hey all these colonies and moon people have a planet to live on go to a horrific war over drop onto Earth now.

supposing that 0% of the natives survived, that is

and supposing they didn't want to move to mars, which is already terraformed and close

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Quattro sweating bullets the whole time cause there's a tiny Char on his shoulder telling him to crash it into Earth.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

supposing that 0% of the natives survived, that is

and supposing they didn't want to move to mars, which is already terraformed and close

Isn't Mars pretty much Nergal property? I reckon it's only a few years before the place turns into Blade Runner.

You know, I think Ulube jumped the gun. A Devil Arktos would've been a lot more threatening than anything he'd previously jacked.

It'd be a huge dick move to have Vega and Altair's world be zombiefied so soon after they recovered it, though.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Quattro sweating bullets the whole time cause there's a tiny Char on his shoulder telling him to crash it into Earth.

I really like the idea of Quattro having this reaction whenever he sees any space object capable of being crashed into the Earth, like his philosophy rants in CCA are just a cover for a very unusual psychological compulsion.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I really like the idea of Quattro having this reaction whenever he sees any space object capable of being crashed into the Earth, like his philosophy rants in CCA are just a cover for a very unusual psychological compulsion.

That sounds fairly familiar.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I was thinking more like this. Like Quattro's getting pulled out of the air and space museum gift shop, having rammed a model satellite through one of the globes, and he's yelling "BUT OUR SOULS CAN'T ESCAPE EARTH'S GRAVITY!"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That's a pretty quality final attack, and I'm glad there's more game to get used in.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AradoBalanga posted:

And then MXP goes one further with its HP bloat, thus prolonging your suffering.

Look at Zero's HP here, for instance. Now add about 50% more HP to what he has. And having to deal with him coming back to life over and over again. This stage (and a lot of these endgame finales) is not fun to play in MX Portable.
This is the stage that really screwed me when I was playing MX Portable.

Because I don't read Japanese and I didn't use a guide for most of it, I didn't even realize at first that you had to kill both guys within the same turn at first. It was the worst. :negative:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

The Fifth Fleet’s just reported the Gulfer’s defeat to Misumaru’s group, Prospector sighing that we made it by the skin of our teeth. Had the response been a little bit later, we’d be seeing way more than just some unrest. No damage to the Martian or Jupiter Spheres, either, Genpachirou reports.
As for the Magnate Ten, we’re currently headed back to Earth – expected to arrive tomorrow. The Nadesico’s transposition engine was damaged during the Gulfer battle, so there’s no Boson Jump available at the moment.
With that done, all of our space-based problems have been settled – barring a few remaining pockets of enemies and the post-war efforts to be dealt with, things are finally quiet up here. The only threat left is the MU and, on that note, Misumaru asks how TERRA’s plan is coming along.

Proceeding apace, Genpachirou says, though the odds of successfully restoring the barrier haven’t improved in any way. We only have three days left until the world comes to an end and Prospector’s having a hard time making peace with how abruptly we’ve gotten to this point. Genpachirou concurs, adding that this feels like something out of a manga.
Still, this is our reality and the populace is already starting to see the writing on the wall. Despite the space ports being closed, Genpachirou’s receiving intel that they’re still overflowing with folks. Confusion continues in the urban areas and Earth’s armies and police forces are having a hard time dealing with everything.

One thing worries Genpachirou, however: it seems that there’s been a major change of staff in the Federation’s Far East Command. Misumaru hadn’t heard of anything like that but it was all kept very hush-hush. From what Genpachirou’s heard, the local commander was replaced just yesterday for one MajGen. Keiichi Morito.
Misumaru doesn’t know the name and a small investigation Genpachirou’s done hasn’t turned up anything at all; the guy has yet to even show his face around the place, even. Everyone here smells fish. It might just be the case of someone with the right connections getting boosted but it’s very unlikely that a guy with apparently no history would be given a position of command.
Prospector posits that it could be a civilian that was scouted or a soldier that’s being given a temporary assignment as sort of a trial run… but that doesn’t explain the guy’s non-existent records.

All signs point to the officer’s name being an alias – someone whom the powers that be don’t want Misumaru’s crew to know about. And given the timing of it all, he figures the Bähbem Foundation or SEELE is behind this.
Prospector’ll do a little digging on this subject and Genpachirou suggests he let Genichirou be the one to get hands-on with it – nothing about this looks right. As Prospector leaves, Genpachirou reports Akito’s rendezvous with the Magnate Ten.
He hopes to have a chance to try some of Akito and Yurika’s co-created ramen, a sentiment Misumaru echoes.

Rikudou is visiting Hibiki, the two men having last seen each other at a scientific convention a long time ago. He apologizes for bugging the Mutropolis folk but Haruka was adamant that he relocated here. Higashiyama understands: Mutropolis is quite the safe location when its Big Shell is closed. The girl is just worried about her uncle.
Megumi runs in right then, having also been assigned here to help with TERRA’s upcoming operation – same as Ayato, Haruka and Itsuki. Rikudou inwardly wonders if they’re having Ayato and the RahXephon act as a guard to the Star of La Mu, or maybe… Regardless, Rikudou also expects Bähbem to come here in person eventually.
Meg then relates an incoming transmission from the Lydia Litvyak, so Rikudou excuses himself to take in the sights.

It’s Souichi, having been assigned TERRA’s commander, and he asks Meg for an update on the current situation. Same as everywhere else: the people in the coastal towns are very afraid and many are seeking refuge in Mutropolis. Souichi isn’t too surprised, having known that keeping the truth hidden wouldn’t have stemmed this tide in the long run.
But the reason he called was to inform Hibiki of the operation’s progress, which TERRA finally has a time for when they’ll enter the final stage: noon of May 29th – in two days. The official name is now Operation Doolittle.
The Federation’s forces are on high alert in anticipation of a MU attack but Souichi wants the Mutropolis folks to be careful nonetheless. The RahXephon will stay where it is, as the T-J Busters and neighboring urban areas are being watched over by platoons of Dragoons and Vermilions.

Megumi’s clearly worried but Souichi tells her not to – they will make Operation Doolittle a success and save this world. Still, the absence of the Magnate Ten is leaving her ill at ease.
Souichi says everything’ll be fine. All non-MU enemy groups have been dealt with thanks to ours and the Federation’s efforts, and while he readily admits that there’re scant few squadrons that have even close to our firepower, they are all doing everything they can to make this work.
Meg doesn’t sound too convinced but mumbles an “OK”…

Mutropolis is bigger than Rikudou expected and he’s gotten himself lost. But he stops short when he runs into Maya: “Thank you, father… and farewell,” she says before vanishing. Rikudou realizes that it’s finally starting.

Meanwhile, Itsuki is talking with Haruka about him and Ayato being brothers – something he figures she already knew. They both bear the same mark on their bodies… though he was always intended to only be a replacement for Ayato. Not to mention that he’s long since passed the essential age of seventeen-years-old.
Haruka, slowly, reveals that she knows something else about Itsuki: how he works for Bähbem and had been given the mission of stealing the Star of La Mu. When he asks why she doesn't report on him, she says that she doesn’t sell out her friends.

Itsuki seems glad to hear that and, as friends, offers to tell her something: he and Ayato were created by the Bähbem Foundation as twin Ollins. Many years ago, the MU send twin girls – also Ollins – into our world and Bähbem got his hands on them as they emerged at a hidden shrine in Nirai-Kanai.
One of the girls was put into suspended animation, never aging, and her DNA was used to create Itsuki and Ayato. The girl, the MU Ollin, in question is someone Haruka knows well: Quon. Itsuki sighs, saying he wished she could have gone on living as a human.

Speaking of the twin girls, we cut back to Maya and Quon at the Tokyo Hilanipla. Quon breaks her silence to suddenly address Mamoru – whom she calls by the Mulian name of Shinon Mer Baram. He, in turn, calls her Quon Al Padis.
She can feel Mamoru’s “indigo blue tune” slowly becoming muddled and warns that hatred beckons distortion. Mamoru slowly mumbles an affirmative. Quon feels that Bähbem, the brother of Naacal, is starting to act – he who created God and was driven into this world by said God. The descendants of the Black Moon are also setting their plans in motion once again.
Quon carries on: “The sorrow of destruction and the joy of rebirth… those melodies will now intertwine and unite as one. In wishes and prayer, a gospel delivered to all of the worlds… It is the song that guides all towards the same death… it is the end and the beginning… the door that leads to the Tuning…”

Over by NERV, all staffers are sitting around on level one alert: all entry or exit HQ has been prohibited. Maya doesn’t understand why, considering the last Angel is gone – while some of them didn’t actually show up, Shigeru figures all the ones who did have been dealt with.
And excluding the MU, all of Earth’s enemies are gone. This begs the question from Maya: what’ll happen to NERV and the EVAs? Ritsuko hasn’t been seen nowadays, either. Shigeru figures NERV will likely be shut down and, Makoto adds, the staff will likely be sent to TERRA. If Operation Doolittle succeeds, it’ll only further extend our battle with the MU and TERRA will need new people.
Of course, if the operation fails, that’ll be the end for everything. Makoto isn’t too sure, quietly mumbling that that Instrumentality Project was supposedly devised to keep that from happening.

: (…Having reached its limit as a colony of individual, flawed beings, humanity will be artificially evolved into a single, perfect being… That is the Instrumentality Project.)
: (By doing so, the Committee hopes to overcome the destruction of both worlds… or, rather, to overcome the Tuning. And to make this happen, they’ll use not Adam or NERV, but those EVAs…)
: (If I’m going to look for the truth, I better do it right now.)

: Blah… it’s almost time for the grand finale and we can’t even take the time to watch the show.
: Well, that’s what happens when you’re the men working backstage. Still, it at least lets us see all the gadgetry at work. Isn’t that right, Mr. Jumonji?
: Ohoho… you’ve got me. NERV, the Federation, the Bähbem Foundation… you went and played three roles at once. Why, how can a third-rate actor like me compete?
: You gotta be a good actor to get a look at the whole script.
: Then, what, did you call me out here, at this particular moment, to say what you couldn’t say before? Surely not!
: …As you pointed out, the finale is very near. So I figured we ought to both show our cards if we want to be around to see the credits roll.
: … But you’ll want something first, no?
: Just that you relay everything I know to a certain person.
: Your old flame, hm…? How loyal of you.
: I ask that because my act may be up soon.
: Hmm, I can’t well make any demands of you after hearing that. Alright, where do we start?
: With the two scripts for this play. They were, originally, one and the same…
: Right, both built around an ancient, ancient myth. Though no one knows who the author of that myth was anymore.
: It’s been theorized that that was the creators of the Martian Ruins… But we don’t have the time or means to prove that.
: Well, from our POV, it might as well have been something akin to God… Problem is, some folks got the bright idea to play out this incredible script that was left behind.
: Hm, all so the theater stays a theater… But, of course, a play loses all meaning if it doesn't have an audience.
: So there was a big production to draw in the audience. But, woe of woes, there were multiple troupes, each raising the curtain on their own different productions...
: At the same time and at the same stage.
: Unsurprisingly, the show was a trainwreck. So two Deus Ex Machinas got thrown in at the last minute.
: Deux Ex Machinas… Mechanical gods that show up in ancient Greek plays. Beings meant to put an end to plays that'd gotten out of hand.
: Rushing to the denouement ended up costing them dearly, though. One of the mechanical gods, far from ending the play, went and vanished from the whole theater, taking the leader of one of the troupes with it.
: The remaining actors, left with no recourse, were pulled into the backstage called “the Chamber of Guf”.
: This left the theater management in the lurch, so they tried to get the actors out.
: But the actors had grown so crazed and desperate that they went on a rampage…
: Worse, they even proclaimed themselves owners of the theater.
: And, so, the managers were left with no choice but to shut down the whole theater. They pulled that off with the power of a new Deus Ex Machina, created from the blood of God…
: And the account of all this was written in the “Hidden Dead Sea Scrolls”, I take it?
: Yeah… and there are multiple copies of those.
: Hm. At least one in this world and one in the MU’s… which is why Bähbem and the Mulians know SEELE’s production schedule and vice-versa. Basically, the previous play was performed in both worlds at the same time, incredibly enough.
: And because of that, the Deux Ex Machina that should have been fully gone ages ago is now back in this world.
: Right. Bähbem’s Black Egg was thrown into this world from the MU’s… Thus, the Mulians, in danger of losing their own stage, set their eyes upon our world.
: And, then, once again we see three troupes starting their own big productions, vying for ownership of the theater. Those three troupes being SEELE, the MU and the Bähbem Foundation…
: Actually, there’s a fourth troupe.
: Oh, right… I forgot about Gendou Ikari’s NERV.
: …But the script for this current play was incomplete.
: Well, that’s the problem with the classics – and this one’s apocryphal even. There are a lot of parts in this world’s Hidden Dead Sea Scrolls that are too damaged to read and you can’t really fix that.
: Plus, there are folks running with their own arbitrary interpretations or those who’ve decided to start ad libbing, so the thing’s coming all out of whack.
: That’s made the play even more confused than the previous one: whole scenes were dropped and we even had actors taking up roles that weren't even theirs.
: You’re talking about the Angels tagged as “Lost Numbers”…
: And, once again, we’ve Deus Ex Machinas being thrown into the stage as a way to consolidate all the plays. That’d be the EVA-01, Raideen… and the Magnate Ten.
: …Sounds like we’re on the same page for this, then.
: Guess so.
: And what SEELE, Bähbem and the MU are after…
: Is to rebuild the theater that’s reaching its final curtain, and moving on to the next stage… That’s the gist of the “Pluridimensional Instrumentality Project”.
: But there are two ways that it can be carried out: via Instrumentality or via Tuning…
: It’ll be up to the Deus Ex Machina to decide which one happens… Of course, the spotlight – the Star of La Mu – isn’t up yet.
: Or maybe… are you poking around for a third option?
: I’ll leave that to your imagination.
: Really? Then I’ve got one juicy scoop for you.
: What is it?
: The Far East’s 1st Division has just been given the order to deploy.
: …!
: And it’s looking like the new commander is leading the whole thing in person. They’re headed for Hakone.
: (So, our final enemy really will be…)
: The Magnate Ten’ll only be back on Earth tomorrow, right? You should hurry.
: Then here’s a scoop of my own as a “thank you’. HE will likely pick Mutropolis as the place to watch it all go down.
: Really, now? I might show up around there later, in that case.
: I’m taking off, then.
: …Don’t bite off more than you can chew, alright?
: While we are men working backstage, we still have a duty to see how the play ends.
: Plus… even a hound might, occasionally, have to take out the bird himself, you know?
: Yeah… we both might.

SEELE’s gotten in touch with Gendou: the promised time has arrived and the MU will start acting before long. SEELE expects even Lilith to feel the effects. Bähbem’s already planned for all that, so they can’t use Lilith to trigger Instrumentality – rather, SEELE wants to use the EVA-01, as it is a replica of Lilith.
Gendou observes that that is not what’s written in SEELE’s script but Keel maintains that the Pluridimensional Instrumentality Project is their main objective. Fuyutsuki muses how man existed to create EVA; comparatively, Gendou says the EVA Series exists to help man reach a new world.
SEELE, however, aren’t willing to give up the human form in order to board the ark called EVA. This whole thing is meant purely as a rite of passage – a way to breathe new life into the bound humanity.

The fated destruction also brings the joy of rebirth, as man and God – all life – will be joined as one through death. All so they can overcome the collapse of all worlds and carry on existing. Gendou counters that death brings about nothing and, in that case, SEELE proclaims they’ll simply kill Gendou and his peers.
As the comm is cut, Fuyutsuki says humans exist because they’ve the will to live – that’s what she wanted for humanity and why she remained within the EVA. Gendou agrees, noting that it won’t be long.

Things are going down right now, actually, Kim detecting D1s and D2s appearing around Tokyo. Actually, it’s not just there: the things are coming out of the woodwork, showing up around all Hilaniplas and even at the T-J Busters. Souichi realizes that the MU have started their attack.
The Lydia Litvyak isn’t safe, either, as a crapload of Dolems and Dotems starting rushing in – TERRA’s other sections are already under attack. Souichi sounds the alert and orders all troops scrambled, with others to defend the T-J Busters at all costs.

Elvy’s pissed at the MU offensive but Souichi tell her to leave here and head to Mutropolis ASAP. The MU are certain to target the Star of La Mu and Ayato, so he wants her to run defense. Elvy starts to protest but Souichi stomps that that was a direct order – without a choice, Elvy confirms and runs off.
Furthermore, he also tells Kim to join the RMU System engineers as they evacuate the Lydia; Kim’s startled by that and asks Souichi Cmdr. Yakumo if that was an order. Indeed, and he says it is vital for Operation Doolittle to succeed. Souichi promises he’ll make it back to her and, at length, Kim acquiesces.

The folks at Mutropolis have already gotten the news of the MU attack but Meg’s interrupted when a transport plane is detected heading our way. When Higashiyama asks, Itsuki hazards a guess that it belongs to the Bähbem Foundation.
He also figures Bähbem’s chosen Mutropolis as where he’ll watch everything as it happens. Regardless, Higashiyama sends everyone to battle stations and orders the RahXephon prepared to launch.

*Alarm!*

: The alarm… The MU have started their attack?!
: Reika Mishima…
: …Ollin…
: I… guess the time’s come, huh?
: Yes… The descendants of the people of the Black Moon have also set their plans in motion…
: …Are you afraid of something? You look like it.
: I am.
: That’s a bit strange… almost like you’re human.
: Strange… I suppose so. Still, I… I am afraid…
: …Me too.
: You’ve always been close by, watching over me, right…? And, now, I also have people I want to be safe… It took me a long time to realize that.
: …Ollin…
: My name’s Ayato, alright?
: You and me… we’ll be together. And, together, we’ll protect her – that’s what I want.
: Thank you…Ayato. Yours is… such a warm soul…
: You are not a weapon… and neither am I.
: I am music… an instrument that produces a melody.
: An instrument that echoes throughout time, filling the world with its sound…

*Reika vanishes.*

: …Did you have an epiphany or something?
: Haruka…
: Ayatoooooo!!
: Megumi…?
: What’s she doing…?
: Ayatoo! I, Megumi Shitou, had a tiny crush on you for a bit!
: But not anymore…! It’s all gone, for good!
: Good luck, Harukaaaa!
: …Thanks…

: Meg…
: Aah, feels good to get that off my chest…
: *sniffles* Hrm… uuh…!
: You’re too young to force yourself to act tough…

: …Heh, you overtook me.
: Huh?
: I mean your height.
: O-Oh, I guess so…
: I… I’ve never stopped loving you.
: When I was fourteen and still lived in Tokyo… I was always glued to your side. But you don’t remember, right? They messed with your memories…
: It’s alright – I just wanted to say it… Since you were my very first love…
: I might not remember that time, but I know how I feel in the present. And I love you.
: Ah…?
: Sorry for all I’ve put you through…
: Oh—…

: I… I’ve always loved you, Ayato…!

*Alarm!*

: You should get going…
: …!
: I promise I’ll come back, so please…
: And I… I’ll be waiting. I’ll wait for as long as I have to…!
: Hurry, please.
: OK…!

*Haruka leaves.*

: This time, I swear I…!

: Your Xephon is incomplete…
: You were born into this world to bring forth the true RahXephon – the one that’ll Tune the world…
: You’re Bähbem’s…!
: From this moment onwards, you’ll treading ground that humans are incapable of reaching…
: Are you saying I’ll stop being one?
: The flesh is merely a vessel… it is one’s will and consciousness that live forever.
: And I can’t avoid this anymore, can I?
: Right. It is your destiny.
: Destiny… my destiny, huh? Even if it is, I…

*Alarm!*

: Detecting D1s and D2s on radar!
: They really are coming here as well…!
: (And, still, the Star of La Mu does not shine… Does this mean Princess Lemuria intends to just watch it all in silence…?)
: Higashiyama, how are the refugees?
: They’ve all already been brought into Mutropolis. The rest is all up to Ayato.

*Alarm!*

: The enemies are entering our airspace!

: Ayato… the promised time has finally arrived.
: Mamoru…!
: Ollin… Before you abandon your humanity, I… I’ll...!
: I’m not backing down, either…! I’ve got too much I want to protect…!
: None of those things will matter once you attain Yolteotl…! So I’m going to kill you before you do! I’ll make you feel the pain of losing what you wanted to protect!!

It’s Ayato against a bevy of Dotems and some Metronome Dolems. Ayato’s morale is still a bit low, so keep Iron Wall running just to be safe.

Three ways for you to end this: reach turn five, kill everything except Mamoru or get him under 70% HP.
I’ll be going for the latter since the Dotems aren’t worth much and I’d rather get things moving along.

Enemy Phase!

And Ayato’s morale skyrockets as he oneshots every single one of this first pack of Dotems.

Mamoru and the more distant mooks are holding back.

Player Phase!

Elvy shows up right then, seeing that Souichi was right on the money. When Haruka asks, she says the commander and the Lydia are doing fine… though that might chance if the MU’s forces keep growing as they’ve been.
Mamoru isn’t impressed, saying that, try as we might, we cannot escape our destruction. It is the destiny of the red-blooded peoples and it’s been determined as such a LONG time ago!
Whatever destiny says is gonna happen, Elvy isn’t willing to get taken out – this, she swears as one of the many people living in this world.

I’ll have her join Ayato to work on the weakened Metronomes.

Nice. Ayato sets himself to deal with the Dotem pack to his north, taking out a Metronome along the way.

Enemy Phase!

There they go.

Mamoru gets off his rear end.

Ayato’s too dodgy for him, though.

Player Phase!

Mutropolis is informed that they won’t be receiving backup from the Federation – all their troops are bogged down with all the other MU attacks.
As for Akira and the Magnate Ten, that’s still a day away. As Itsuki glares, Helena says this is the battle of the Apocalypse – no one can escape it. And, of course that also applies to those sitting at the seats of the soul.
The end and the beginning of all is converging upon this world and, with that, the time for the Instrumentalist to play the song of demise draws near. The moment she’s been waiting forever to see is finally close at hand.
Quietly, Itsuki wonders if Helena’s still in there

Quick Valored Voice sends Mamoru past the threshold.

: It’s about time I ended this, Ayato…!

: Urk! They still had this many mooks?!
: A-Aah…!!
: Death is your destiny! Accept it!
: Psh, I guess these things’re really gonna be the death of me…! But I’m not done just yet! I can’t let this be the end for me!!
Right…! I have to keep going!
: I have to keep on fighting if I’m going to keep Haruka and all my friends safe!

Back at NERV, things are going straight to hell as they suffer a major electronic attack. All their outgoing connections have been cutoff as someone tries to hack the MAGI. It takes a MAGI to hack another, so Fuyutsuki wonders if they’re under attack by the Matsushiro-based computers.
Shigeru says no, as they’re detecting a total of five of the things invading their network: from Germany, China and the US. Fuyutsuki sees that SEELE’s throwing everything they have at NERV and, being outgunned five-to-one, it does not look good for us.
NERV’s firewalls start breaking down and Makoto can’t cut off the connection to their main database – not good. Take the MAGI and you take the entire HQ.

Misato runs in and Makoto gives her the bad news: the Federation has just issued order A801 to NERV. That means NERV’s just lost their legal authorization to work as a paramilitary force and have been commanded to surrender to the federal government – it’s an ultimatum in all but name, with the hacking of the MAGI further pushing us against the wall.
As for countermeasures, Maya relates that Ritsuko has just went to work on the MAGI’s defenses – we should be able to cut them off in time. Misato inwardly doubts this attack will be limited to just the MAGI and Fuyutsuki feels the same way.
This hack is just an opening act, with the government’s objectives being the capture of both NERV HQ and the EVAs. Gendou agrees – after all, we have both Lilith and Adam. Fuyutsuki sighs that the MU global offensive must’ve sent the old men into overdrive.

And Ritsuko comes through, the MAGI hack being cut off. She’s put up some special firewalls which should hold for at least sixty two hours. When Fuyutsuki asks, Shigeru relates that the Federation Army is engaging the MU across the world. Strangely enough, however, no Dolems have been sighted around Hakone.
Seems to Gendou that the old men are trying to lower the curtain themselves.

At SEELE, they’ve been informed of the 666 Protection being placed on the MAGI. It’ll be hard to break through that, so they’re forced to suspend the hacking attempt. Keel wanted to end this without bloodshed but now they’ve no choice: it’s time to put “that man” and the “thunder” to use.
Member A agrees, saying the thing was created precisely for things like this. That decided, Keel orders NERV HQ to be occupied.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 4, 2017

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

*BOOM!*

: Radar sites eight through seventeen have gone dark!
: We’ve federal troops invading the Goura defensive perimeter!
: Another two battalions advancing through Gotenba!
: Squadrons of Dragoons are inbound from Mishima! They’re attacking our weapon facilities!
: A surprisingly daring move, considering the growing battle against the MU happening everywhere else…
: And, so, NERV’s final enemies will not be Dolems or Angels… but our fellow men, just as we expected.
: …All hands, battle stations.
: Battle…? But these aren’t Angels… they’re humans.
: I don’t think those guys care about that, though.

*Beep!*

: We’ve an incoming transmission from the commander of the Federation Army’s First Division!
: Is he going to order our surrender?
: Put it through.
: R-Roger!

*Beep!*

: People of NERV, this is Miwa Sakimori, commander of the Far East Forces.
: H-Him…?!
: Hmph… an unexpected actor has taken to the stage.
: Miwa Sakimori…? Wasn’t one Keiichi Morito the new commander?!
: Not only that, this man was supposed to have been court-martialed during the Baam War…
: My guess is that SEELE came to his rescue.
: What, they figured he’d be the right man to command a war of extermination against their enemies…?!
: I suppose so. Hrm, the old men’s direction is atrocious.
: My troops already have you HQ completely surrounded. Lay down your weapons and surrender now.
: Excuse me…?! Isn’t the entire world under attack by the MU?! Do you have any idea what you’re doing right now?!
: Of course I do. NERV is trying to take advantage of the global chaos to trigger the Third Impact and destroy the world.
: Which makes you the enemies of mankind – no different from the Baamians or the MU! It is the federal army’s duty to eradicate you!
: That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard!
: You’ll still play innocent?! Traitors! Rebels!
: You’re being used by SEELE, you idiot! How can you not see that?!
: “Used”? Heheheh… Maybe, maybe. But I’m also using them.
: I’ve a chance to recover my old commission by slaughtering you traitors. And, then, the aliens will be next…! This time, I’ll drive those Baamians straight out of our Solar System!
: You’re still hung up on that…?!
: …I think it’s safe to say we’d be executed even if we surrendered.
: Th-That’s…!
: Cut the comm.
: But!
: We’re wasting our breath talking with that man. Do it.
: Hmhm… I take it that’s your answer?
: And, in that case… troops! Open fire!!

*BOOM!*

: Invading forces that broken into the first level!
: There’s fire at the fifth western freight entrance!
: Those western platoons are a decoy! If they want to capture the EVAs, they’ll prioritize the pilots…
: Have Shinji stand by at the #01! Hurry!
: Yes, ma’am!
: What’s Asuka’s status?!
: Still in the infirmary – room 303!
: Put her in the #02 anyway!
: But her synchronization with the EVA hasn’t been restored…!
: She’ll be killed if she stays where she is. Inside the EVA’ll be the safest place for her.
: Roger that! Cancelling the pilot’s medication and having the #02 prepared for deployment!
: Once Asuka’s inside, hide the #02 inside the underground lake. They’ll find it quickly but it’s better than leaving it at its cage.
: Roger!

MXP Version only:

: And where's Suzuhara?
: He's in this layer since he was slated to run some sync tests!
: Meaning we can't get him to his EVA right now...! Then have him stand by where he is and on alert!
: Yes, ma'am!

Common ground - PS2 version skips the Touji bits and goes straight to Rei. Guess they forgot about him! :v:

: What about Rei?
: Unknown! We can’t locate her!
: Find her, quickly… they’ll kill her if we don’t.
: The #02’s been launched via route 8! It’ll stop about seventy meters underwater.
: Ready the #01 next! Deploy it inside the Geofront!
: We can’t! The pilot hasn’t arrived at Block F!
: What…?!

*BOOM!*

: The third underground bulwark’s been destroyed! They’ve made it to the second level!
: … They’ve sent an entire division after us. It’s only a matter of time before they capture HQ.
: … Professor, I leave the rest in your hands.
: Understood. Give my regards to Yui.

*Gendou leaves.*

: The fifty second linear rail has been destroyed!
: This is terrible…! I’d take any Angel or Dolem over this.
: (We all would. None of us are used to killing our fellow men.)
: Invaders inside the third level, B-Block! We can’t hold them back!
: Same with F-Block! Main bypass under crossfire!
: Abandon levels one through three! All troops, pull back! Pour bakelite into all passages and pipes up to sector 803!
: Yes, ma’am!
: This should slow them down a bit…!
: Maj. Katsuragi! Route forty seven has been cut off – group three is pinned down! Shinji’ll be helpless!
: The only way to safeguard him now would be…
: Tell all our non-combatant personnel to avoid engaging the enemy; we’re up against professionals. If they can’t retreat into Dogma, then they’re better off surrendering.
: That’s assuming Miwa would accept it…
: Hm… The Magnate Ten are still on the far side of the moon, so we’re on our own for this.
: Maj. Katsuragi…?
: Sorry. Take care of things here for me.
: …Yes, ma’am. Be careful.

*Misato takes off.*

: We should probably grab our guns, too.
: Still, things aren’t looking good. HQ was never well equipped with anti-personnel defense systems.
: Yeah, just enough to stop terrorist attacks.
: And we’re up against a full-on army offensive… This won’t last long.
: Now that I think about it… the cuts in the counter-invasion budget was likely in preparation for this.
: Guess so.

*Craaaaash! Shots fired!*

: Urgh! They’ve made it here!
: We need to fight back! Take your gun!
: I-I…!
: Hurry – safety off!
: B-But… I can’t shoot…!
: Didn’t you run target practice a bunch of times?!
: None of those were against real people!

*Bang!*

: Don’t be stupid! Start shooting or you’ll die!

: Rei…
: I figured you’d be here… It’s time. Let’s get going.

: I’ve located the Third. Moving to eliminate.
: … (His face is obscured here but screw it)
: Sorry, kid. No hard feelings.

*Bang!*

: ?!

*Machine gun fire!*

: Y-You!
: No hard feelings, indeed.

*Bang > dead!*

: Come on. Let’s get you to the #01.
: Hurry up, Shinji.
: Listen, are you going to run off or are you coming with me to the EVA? Pick one.
: Because if we stay here, we’ll just die for nothing!
: Are you fine with that?! Didn’t the Magnate Ten teach you not to give up until the last second?! Did you forget all that?!
: …But… I was never taught to kill a friend.
: …Help… Asuka, help me…
: All hell is breaking loose and you’re hiding behind a little girl like her?! You’re going to turn the other cheek and lie to yourself…?!
: Giving up halfway is worse than never trying at all!
: …Enough… Just let me die… I don’t want to do anything…
: Stop behaving like a spoiled brat! You’re still alive, aren’t you?! Then hold onto that life and leave dying for later!

*Shootout!*

: Forget us! Give top priority to isolating Terminal Dogma!
: They’ve blown up everything else but not here. Why are they pulling their punches now…?!
: They’d probably love to bomb us sky high… but we’re sitting right on top of the original MAGI.
: And they’d prefer to get it undamaged, huh?
: Not that it’ll make any difference if TERRA’s operation fails.
: I doubt that guy, Miwa, cares about that.
: But we’re practically defenseless against biochemical weapons. If they bust one of those out, we’ll be in a lot of trouble…!

: What was that?!
: Th-The city is gone!
: They blew up the top of the Geofront!
: A-Are they using nukes against us?!
: Hmph… There is another actor, it seems.
: Why do they want the EVAs so badly?!

: SEELE’s plan is to trigger the Third Impact… Not with Angels but with the EVA Series.
: The Second Impact, fifteen years ago, wasn’t caused by accident. It was planned by people.
: Their intent was to minimize potential damage by reverting Adam to an embryonic state before the other Angels awakened.
: Originally, Adam’s salvage operation was supposed to have been done by having the Zeorymer’s Dimensional Coupling System open the Doors of Guf. If anything went wrong, the System would shut the Doors completely.
: But then the Zeorymer was stolen by Masaki Kihara… which is what made things in Antarctica end the way they did.
: I was there when the Second Impact happened, Shinji. I was accompanying my father’s research group… and I was the only survivor.
: Thinking back on it, it’s possible even that event was part of SEELE and Bähbem’s script… the script for the “Pluridimensional Instrumentality Project”, meant to bring destruction and, then, rebirth to our world.
: Shinji, we, humans, were born of Lilith, a source of life just like Adam… We are the Eighteenth Angel. We were one of the forms ancient humans found when seeking to escape the destruction of their world.
: So it’s possible ours wasn’t even the first time the Angels were fought.
: It's all to maintain the worlds that became pluralized, each developing along various different possibilities, due to the loss of the Observer; to defend against another universal collapse triggered by their colossal masses.
: And, above all, to make sure that the human being… or, rather, a life form that used to be human would continue to exist even should the collapse hit.
: All the events leading up to this point have been trials, set up in order to awaken the being that’d conduct that process.
: It was all a rite of passage… to create what could be called a Deus Ex Machina. A mechanical god with full control over both death and rebirth.
: But only one life form can be chosen throughout that process… The other Angels and the Mulians are all other possibilities of what we could have become. And although we are fundamentally the same, we unfortunately couldn't coexist.
: Listen, Shinji. You need to destroy every single one of the EVA Series. That’s the only way to survive.

Rest of this mission should be up tomorrow - Tuesday, at most.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 4, 2017

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Huh, I either totally missed the parts about twin Ollins, or have since forgotten it. I vaguely remember Quon being cryptic about siblings, but not her being Ayato's mother.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As if this game didn't have enough roaring assholes running around, here's General Miwa with an eleventh hour guitar solo.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ardeem posted:

Huh, I either totally missed the parts about twin Ollins, or have since forgotten it. I vaguely remember Quon being cryptic about siblings, but not her being Ayato's mother.

I don't blame you - RahXephon has so many intertwining plot points, twists and callbacks that it's nigh impossible to keep track of them all. I've a wiki and timetable bookmarked for every time its plot starts going.

AradoBalanga posted:

As if this game didn't have enough roaring assholes running around, here's General Miwa with an eleventh hour guitar solo.

I can only imagine the pent-up frustration inside him after missing so many operations he could've used to get some genocide rolling.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I can only imagine the pent-up frustration inside him after missing so many operations he could've used to get some genocide rolling.
Thank goodness we got rid of Giganos' Mass Driver, or else Miwa would be in full :flashfap: mode to acquire it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

: … Professor, I leave the rest in your hands.
: Understood. Give my regards to Yui.

I'm guessing only one of these is Gendo.

I say guessing because I genuinely have no idea what's going on and I don't think I could make sense out of it either if I tried.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I say guessing because I genuinely have no idea what's going on and I don't think I could make sense out of it either if I tried.

Yup, the latter line is Fuyutsuki.

And, in essence, it's become a race of mutually-exclusive plans built around finding a solution to the dying universe. The MU want to Tune it (whatever that means) while SEELE just wants to join all human life across all universes into one super being to ride out the end of the world, Gendou and Fuyutsuki have their own secret plan and Bähbem ???.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, I stopped trying to follow the Raxephon or Eva plot a long time ago.

But we're about to get to the moment I've been waiting for since I first saw this LP, so I'm excited anyway.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guessing Miwa is from Daimos given his mention of the Baamians. Is there any more info on him? Other than him being an rear end in a top hat, that's self-evident.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Brunom1 posted:

Yup, the latter line is Fuyutsuki.

And, in essence, it's become a race of mutually-exclusive plans built around finding a solution to the dying universe. The MU want to Tune it (whatever that means) while SEELE just wants to join all human life across all universes into one super being to ride out the end of the world, Gendou and Fuyutsuki have their own secret plan and Bähbem ???.

MarsDragon posted:

Yeah, I stopped trying to follow the Raxephon or Eva plot a long time ago.

But we're about to get to the moment I've been waiting for since I first saw this LP, so I'm excited anyway.

The summation to all of this is. SEELE really wants the apocalypse to go as scheduled and everyone else is having their own apocalypse at the same time and getting in their way! so they're basically throwing a fit.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I may have mentioned this before, but there are few characters I am less pleased to see than that fucker. Like, I literally groan in dismay whenever he shows up at this point. His appearance in Alpha 3 is especially bullshit, because you got him sent to jail like in the series back in Alpha 2, but motherfucking Gundam SEED continues its tradition of ruining everything around it by having Blue Cosmos freeing and reinstating him.

Argas posted:

Guessing Miwa is from Daimos given his mention of the Baamians. Is there any more info on him? Other than him being an rear end in a top hat, that's self-evident.

He's basically the "our side has assholes, too" guy for Daimos, he repeatedly gets in the way, actively abusing Kazuya and other terrible war-crimey poo poo. I think Kazuya punches the gently caress out of him at one point for his behavior, which only makes him even more of a dick. He ends up jailed at the end of Daimos for his many, MANY crimes. However, I just remembered that MX handles Miwa the best way possible, so I'm looking forward to that update.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Aoba's lines include some typos:

-Squadrons of Dragoons are inbound from Mishima! They’ve attacking our weapon facilities!
-Don’t me stupid! Start shooting or you’ll die!

This finale is nuts and I love it. Even the spies who have have read the script are just going "things happened differently from the script because... reasons, I guess." though I do unironically like that they're using a previous universe as a way to tie things together and keep the canons from contradicting each other too much.

Also, Misato calling humans the 18th Angel? Pure bullshit. It's one of the most infamous bits of blatantly lying to the audience in End of Evangelion. Again, it is slightly less bullshit here because it supposedly happened in a previous universe, but in Eva canon her statement is just plain unreliable exposition.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

Also, Misato calling humans the 18th Angel? Pure bullshit. It's one of the most infamous bits of blatantly lying to the audience in End of Evangelion. Again, it is slightly less bullshit here because it supposedly happened in a previous universe, but in Eva canon her statement is just plain unreliable exposition.

How come? If the Angels are the spawn of Adam, that would kinda make humanity something akin to an Angel since we came of Lilith, no?

Not an ACTUAL Angel but something that still fits the definition.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

How come? If the Angels are the spawn of Adam, that would kinda make humanity something akin to an Angel since we came of Lilith, no?

Not an ACTUAL Angel but something that still fits the definition.

The proper Angels are the ones from #3 to #17 and are the children of Adam (#1). Lilith (#2) is wrongly said to be an Angel, possibly so people trying to get to Adam will confuse her with him. Misato calls Humans "the 18th Angel" because she still thinks Adam and Lilith are the same. She's wrong but Evangelion is purposefully opaque about its lore and her last minute "exposition" is just a fancy way of saying that we're not so different from the aliens plus a gratuitous attempt to confuse the audience even more.

...But let's assume this isn't an oversight and Misato believes that all spawn from Adam and Lilith are Angels. In that case, Lilith is also the source of all life as we know it. If humans are the 18th Angel, then cats and dogs are the 19th and 20th and so on for every other living thing. This basically means that every single living thing is an Angel, pretty much making the distinction meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

GimmickMan posted:

The proper Angels are the ones from #3 to #17 and are the children of Adam (#1). Lilith (#2) is wrongly said to be an Angel, possibly so people trying to get to Adam will confuse her with him. Misato calls Humans "the 18th Angel" because she still thinks Adam and Lilith are the same. She's wrong but Evangelion is purposefully opaque about its lore and her last minute "exposition" is just a fancy way of saying that we're not so different from the aliens plus a gratuitous attempt to confuse the audience even more.

...But let's assume this isn't an oversight and Misato believes that all spawn from Adam and Lilith are Angels. In that case, Lilith is also the source of all life as we know it. If humans are the 18th Angel, then cats and dogs are the 19th and 20th and so on for every other living thing. This basically means that every single living thing is an Angel, pretty much making the distinction meaningless.

I don't think that's correct, humanity is the 18th Angel because it's inherited the fruit of knowledge and is thus a sapient species. Other animals are not Angels because they have neither power nor knowledge, and AFAIK no AT-fields as well. The numbering is still wonky because Kaworu is counted as a full Angel while Rei isn't, plus the whole thing with the Evas, but it's still a meaningful difference.

• Locked thread