Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Sickening posted:

Todd just lost a game because he couldn't afford to blow up a gearhulk and trample damage because he could instantly lose from 15 life next turn from the combo. This is not good gameplay for standard.

Oh yeah it's awful, just it's basically as people expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Sickening posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/28/superdata-hearthstone-trumps-all-comers-in-card-market-that-will-hit-1-4-billion-in-2017/

It appears hearthstone made 400 million last year and the only thing surprising is that it appears to have only trumped mtgo by 20x.

I hope Eternal manages to be profitable, despite fighting against Hearhstone, MODO, Shadowverse etc. I've been playing it a bit lately and it's really fun, much better than Hearthstone imo and puts MODO to shame (though what doesn't).

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Current SCG top 4:

Jeskai Copycat, Jeskai Copycat, Jeskai Control, and 4 color Copycat

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Blue Gearhulk has seriously been Carrying games, I guess Emrakul was both replacing it as a thing to cast as well as suppressing it as it could destroy you when mindslaved

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GeneX posted:

Current SCG top 4:

Jeskai Copycat, Jeskai Copycat, Jeskai Control, and 4 color Copycat

Its not like the pro tour hasn't turned the meta upside down before but yeah, saheeli combo isn't making past the ban date and anyone that tells you otherwise is a moron or invested in the deck.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I feel like it's beatable by something like U/B hard control, but I think the metagame being combo-control vs. control vs. some spread of Gx midrange is an intolerable state of affairs for modern day wotc

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Balon posted:

Having the format "solved" so quickly is what's really killed standard lately. There's always one "best" deck and one "deck that beats the best deck" and it's been like this for several rotations now. Until development catches up with good solutions to this we're in for the worst standard seasons for a year+ to come.

It's funny because from a number of decks/deck evolution perspective, this last season was one of the most interesting standard seasons in a long time due to the midseason reworking and rise of Marvel.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

So cannibalize their existing pillar franchise in the hopes that it competes digitally?

Good luck getting Hasbro to take that risk.

Yes exactly that. Clearly they have almost nothing to lose.

Being in fourth place behinds some WWE CCG no one has ever heard of is do or die time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Balon posted:

PT top 8 is going to be 4+ Saheeli combo decks, the rest GB varients. Then we'll get a Cat ban and (something out of GB).

Having the format "solved" so quickly is what's really killed standard lately. There's always one "best" deck and one "deck that beats the best deck" and it's been like this for several rotations now. Until development catches up with good solutions to this we're in for the worst standard seasons for a year+ to come.

GB seems like nothing but fair Magic, though. Walking Ballista is really good, but still fair.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I don't think the copycat combo is inherently broken in a vacuum, but the blue control shell with glimmer, bluehulk and strong removal is great on its own (with emrakul out of the format) and the combo is just gravy. If the combo was available in EMN standard I don't think it would have been played nearly as much as it is now.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

I feel like it's beatable by something like U/B hard control, but I think the metagame being combo-control vs. control vs. some spread of Gx midrange is an intolerable state of affairs for modern day wotc

Jim Davis's UB control deck he played today looked to have good options vs. Saheeli and GB decks.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
GB is good and fair and all, but when it makes up 50% of the metagame NOW they'll hit something from it just to ensure it's not 100% of the meta post-catban.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

What we actually need is hero's downfall and lightning strike, but wotc only just admitted that they need to shift development philosophies, so it might take a while.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I haven't been watching every match, but in the Jeskai variants the combo cards looked like a serious liability. Obviously it's doing fine given the t8, but it seems real clunky.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i realize the cat combo is probably gonna get banned and i'm not saying that's a bad thing but people are playing Implement of Combustion to counter it and that's hilarious and I want to enjoy that while i can

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*Russell Crowe from A Beautiful Mind voice* maybe standard is always bad

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Magic was a mistake.

America was a mistake.

Humanity was a mistake.

God was a mistake.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Every person that has ever cast Implement of Combustion against me always thinks it can target creatures.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

It appears that 23 of the top 32 for Richmond are CopyCat (11 decks) or GB/BG (12 decks).

http://sales.starcitygames.com//dec..._ID=19&limit=50

3 U/B Control
2 Jeskai Control
4 Oddball aggro decks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's pretty funny that they banned 3 cards to get out of a 2 deck format and they ended up with a 2 deck format.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sickening posted:

http://venturebeat.com/2017/01/28/superdata-hearthstone-trumps-all-comers-in-card-market-that-will-hit-1-4-billion-in-2017/

It appears hearthstone made 400 million last year and the only thing surprising is that it appears to have only trumped mtgo by 20x.

MTGO makes less money than WWE Supercard and a yugioh phone game that's only available in Japan.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Balon posted:

Dont see this ever happening. There is no way that R+D, which is a fairly small amount of people who probably aren't notably good players themselves, can devise a puzzle that the best players in the world working together can't solve near instantly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There have been many standards in recent memory where the second, third, and fourth best decks are "close enough" to the best deck that there's an interesting metagame.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The last few games were very entertaining :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What if this format had legit hand destruction and all the other things they have decided to neglect? I think it would be better.

If negate can be in every block, so too can at least loving duress.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Sickening posted:

What if this format had legit hand destruction and all the other things they have decided to neglect? I think it would be better.

If negate can be in every block, so too can at least loving duress.

Hey, there's always Transgre-- oh, right BG is the "other" deck.

I'm pretty excited to see whatever control deck Shota brings to the PT.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Terrible Horse posted:

Dont see this ever happening. There is no way that R+D, which is a fairly small amount of people who probably aren't notably good players themselves, can devise a puzzle that the best players in the world working together can't solve near instantly.

I don't think R&D needs to devise some Machiavellian level of complexity in future sets, just include a spectrum of interesting cards of varying power levels spread evenly across the colors and include a handful of effective response mechanisms. Stop pushing storyline-related cards tot he point of absurdity or game breaking, and dial back the emphasis on x/3 super value creatures that make every game a slog.

It'll take some time to shake out, but it's not impossible.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 30, 2017

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I don't think R&D needs to devise some Machiavellian level of complexity in future sets, just include a spectrum of interesting cards of varying power levels spread evenly across the colors and include a handful of effective response mechanisms. Stop pushing storyline-related cards tot he point of absurdity or game breaking, and dial back the emphasize on x/3 super value creatures that make every game a slog.

It'll take some time to shake out, but it's not impossible.

This. And powerful reprints that people give a poo poo about. And, most importantly, answers for the powerful reprints. The notion that something is Too Strong For Standard should be laughed at and derided endlessly.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!
Meanwhile the Modern Classic looks to have had 14 different decks in the top 16 ...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

mattah posted:

Meanwhile the Modern Classic looks to have had 14 different decks in the top 16 ...

Yes, Modern is good

e: Where's the decklists?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alris posted:

This. And powerful reprints that people give a poo poo about. And, most importantly, answers for the powerful reprints. The notion that something is Too Strong For Standard should be laughed at and derided endlessly.

i'm pretty sure Necropotence is too powerful for standard no matter what the answers might be

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Soul Glo posted:

Yes, Modern is good

Goldfish has them up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=111279

Let's play spot the ???

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Lmao Peace of Mind is awesome there

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The combo with Bridge to never lose to burn is pretty powerful

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Dear god I hope I can get a set of Chalices of the Void for $160-$180 this Friday before that god drat Cheerios deck wins an Open. I've been trying to build up Sun and Moon :smith:

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Star Man posted:

Dear god I hope I can get a set of Chalices of the Void for $160-$180 this Friday before that god drat Cheerios deck wins an Open. I've been trying to build up Sun and Moon :smith:

They might get a reprint in MM17

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

myDad posted:

They might get a reprint in MM17

Whoa, let's not get our hopes up.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Soul Glo posted:

Yes, Modern is good

:agreed: Wish my store would run it more often than every third week.

E:

Star Man posted:

I dumped 3/4 of mine over the last couple of months :negative: I still have one more if you're worried about not getting them in time!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

It's not exactly burning down the house as a deck, is it?

Cheerios, I mean.

• Locked thread