Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
no IPD adjustment, are they nuts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bhodi posted:

no IPD adjustment, are they nuts?
Maybe the eye tracking hardware makes the engineering for physical IPD adjustment more complicated, but yeah that kinda blows.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe the eye tracking thing adjusts for your IPD too? Though it doesn't seem likely, don't you have to move the lens too?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It seems like they released a Rift DK2 level of hardware with a better screen and some higher res screens. Definitely waiting for HTC, Oculus or some other big name brand to make an actual eye tracking headset. This is why you don't back a "me too" hardware thing on Kickstarter.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

homeless snail posted:

Maybe the eye tracking hardware makes the engineering for physical IPD adjustment more complicated, but yeah that kinda blows.

Truga posted:

Maybe the eye tracking thing adjusts for your IPD too? Though it doesn't seem likely, don't you have to move the lens too?

Based on my conversations with tracking hardware developers, good eye tracking stuff shouldn't get in the way of IAD adjustment. Nor will it obviate the need for it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh yeah I have plenty of suggestions for-

Can you post them? I bought Touch now.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I somehow managed to make a skiing thing for Destinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlVX3DNCFoA

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=851765393

Anyone want to test it to see if you get motion sick?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I finally had the chance to try a Vive at PAX South. It was not as comfortable as the Rift for me. I had to let out all the straps and it just didn't feel that good. I adjusted my IPD well, but wasn't able to figure out how to adjust the headset depth. I didn't notice much increased FOV compared to my Rift, but I also didn't notice the lesser pixel density. Both headsets are pretty close in my opinion. I did notice how inferior the optics were, but I was still surprised with how acceptable I found it. I was expecting the blurring at the sides to be worse than it was.

The first demo I tried had frame rate issues and would constantly skip back to the gray SteamVR room. The wands were cool, but I still prefer the Touch controllers. I DID notice that the haptics in the wands were quite stronger than the ones in the Touch controllers. I would have to test my Touch again, but I think the wands felt better in that regard.

In the end, I still prefer my Rift system compared to the Vive. But the differences are much smaller than I thought they would be and they are both good headsets.

I hope to be able to try PSVR before PAX South is over. I saw a booth demoing a game with it. A bunch of the goons I was with are now converts to VR, however. There are also a LOT of VR games being demoed here. Things look promising!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dongattack posted:

Can you post them? I bought Touch now.

If you have the space, there is still no better demo than Unseen Diplomacy. I have never had someone not making GBS threads their pants in terror at the ledge shimmy.

Job Sim and the Lab and Destinations are great too.

I tend to start them in the Lab on Vesper Peak. Let them look around and take it all in, then play fetch with the dog. Teach them the basics of teleporting. Make sure to have them visit the cliff edge on the north face, start their knees shaking and blow their minds with the view (I start them there, give them one controller, then guide them back to the south face or use the other controller to do it myself)

Then I switch to Unseen Diplomacy and give them both controllers, walking them through the instructions they will refuse to read and telling them to press buttons and go through doors.

After that, if they want more, I switch to Destinations, and show them Mars and The Marble (the marble is just earth from space, very pretty).

Finally, depending on their personality I either do Job Sim, Brookhaven Demo, or the Slingshot and Archery games from the lab in that order.

If they want more after that, they get GORN.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Been trying onward but unfortunately it's the only VR game so far that my low-end system just wont run properly. Got constant aim lag and could only sprint while stood on my toes! Great fun all the same, really intense

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

If they want more after that, they get GORN.

Or just go straight up for GORN. Make sure you have enough space and nothing punchable anywhere near the play space.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Protip: if you're going to get your 3.5 year old daughter into VR, make sure you're ready to catch her when she freaks out at the plesiosaur. Thankfully, she fell on her rear end and not her face :sweatdrop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That's why we said nobody under 12 on the Rift!

(not really)

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Subjunctive posted:

That's why we said nobody under 12 on the Rift!

(not really)

I guess I got complacent. There's this trending video experience right now where you're a drone flying through a jungle, and you get roared at by a T-Rex. She was fine with that because she knows a T-Rex when she sees one and she was in my lap the whole time. I thought it would be the same with Ocean Rift but I didn't factor in her standing on her own with the unknown.

It's really sparked her interest though, even at her age. On her own initiative, she asked to be shown the T-Rex again tonight. And I'm sure it will be the same tomorrow night, and every night after. I haven't gamed in a good long while on account of parenthood, and it makes me hopeful that in a little while father and daughter will be playing some VR FPS together :D

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I'm just gonna put this here and say that I tried it at CES and it was full bonkers perfect performance. http://uploadvr.com/tpcasts-vive-add-kit-uses-lattices-wirelesshd-tech/

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Hope there's one that works with the Rift. I haven't sunk enough cash into this 1st-gen tech yet. :v:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Exioce posted:

I guess I got complacent. There's this trending video experience right now where you're a drone flying through a jungle, and you get roared at by a T-Rex. She was fine with that because she knows a T-Rex when she sees one and she was in my lap the whole time. I thought it would be the same with Ocean Rift but I didn't factor in her standing on her own with the unknown.

It's really sparked her interest though, even at her age. On her own initiative, she asked to be shown the T-Rex again tonight. And I'm sure it will be the same tomorrow night, and every night after. I haven't gamed in a good long while on account of parenthood, and it makes me hopeful that in a little while father and daughter will be playing some VR FPS together :D

I am looking for some good passive experiences, what is this trex video?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Rectus posted:

I somehow managed to make a skiing thing for Destinations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlVX3DNCFoA

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=851765393

Anyone want to test it to see if you get motion sick?

It's great! only wish the run was longer or that I could go faster (though maybe I just needed to push more). Escaping it took me a second to figure out though since the menu freaks out if you're moving. I had to steady myself with one pole while I picked from the destination's menu with the other.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Just tried the Rift and the Vive at PAX south. I want a Rift Touch now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

Just tried the Rift and the Vive at PAX south. I want a Rift Touch now.
what did you play/demo?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bhodi posted:

what did you play/demo?

Uh some Arktika game on Rift then Job Simulator on Vive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Exioce posted:

It's OK, the 12-year-old limit isn't based on science.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My limit is whatever my nephew's age is plus one.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

GlyphGryph posted:

I am looking for some good passive experiences, what is this trex video?

It's called Air Breath, and accessible on the Samsung VR app (might not be available on the Oculus Store). Nice but quite short at only a little over a minute long.

http://vivestudios.com/portfolio/air-breath/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exioce posted:

It's called Air Breath, and accessible on the Samsung VR app (might not be available on the Oculus Store). Nice but quite short at only a little over a minute long.

http://vivestudios.com/portfolio/air-breath/

If you want to show your kid more dinosaurs on GearVR, grab the Jurassic World app. It's only about a minute long, but it's just sitting on a log watching an Apatosaurus come over and say hi before eating breakfast.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tweak posted:

It's great! only wish the run was longer or that I could go faster (though maybe I just needed to push more). Escaping it took me a second to figure out though since the menu freaks out if you're moving. I had to steady myself with one pole while I picked from the destination's menu with the other.

Thanks. I think I set up the drag to be a bit high, so the speed caps out pretty fast. I probably could set it up to stop or pause the speed while you have the menu up.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Bum the Sad posted:

Uh some Arktika game on Rift then Job Simulator on Vive.

You hosed up! They have Robo Recall playable here at PAX South!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Nalin posted:

You hosed up! They have Robo Recall playable here at PAX South!

I'm in line right now. What's that for?

Oh Oculus. I'll try it.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 29, 2017

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Oh that was fun as gently caress

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
My kids will be telling in class tomorrow that they visited the rover on Mars.

I'm still surprised how well everything runs on my 980m laptop with Optimus. (It did put the rendering detail down to 0.9 though. Tried 0.5 but it was too ugly.)

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Bum the Sad posted:

Oh that was fun as gently caress

Hey, If you're trying vr stuff you should come by booth #10242, I'm there with some ppl from my team demoing Statik on the psvr

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Flex Mentallo posted:

Hey, If you're trying vr stuff you should come by booth #10242, I'm there with some ppl from my team demoing Statik on the psvr

Is that gonna be PS4 exclusive? Like the trailer

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Flex Mentallo posted:

Waiting in line. Looks cool.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
This game was actually really fun. I hope y'all port it to PC.

Edit: I was the nerd in the red long sleeve t-shirt

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 29, 2017

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm disappointed you didn't loudly inquire "Which one of you assholes is Flex?" as per goon bylaws.

Flex Mentallo
Mar 14, 2001

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

Bum the Sad posted:

This game was actually really fun. I hope y'all port it to PC.

Edit: I was the nerd in the red long sleeve t-shirt

Glad you enjoyed it! I think I was too busy trying to get the coop multiplayer set up to notice what ppl were wearing :(

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is that gonna be PS4 exclusive? Like the trailer

Yeah we're only on ps4 for now since we rely so heavily on the controller being tracked. If the game does well we have some ideas for redesigning it for other systems, but it would be quite a lot of work.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
The concept is clever as hell. You make the controller feel immersive with the VR by the premise of the game being your hands stick in a box.

Warbird posted:

I'm disappointed you didn't loudly inquire "Which one of you assholes is Flex?" as per goon bylaws.

Dude it was difficult not to.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 29, 2017

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Regarding the Rift + Touch, has anyone tried two sensors, one front and one behind? How's the tracking with that setup? I love playing in VR but I think I'd finally like to have a 360 standing experience rather than front facing, so if I can just buy a USB extension cable without a third sensor and get a functional experience then I'd do that.

If a third sensor is the optimal route I'll wind up going that way. I love that devs are making concessions to front facing players and the vast majority of the games I play work just splendidly in that format, but it's hard not to get carried away and turn yourself around as it's the natural thing to do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It has worked for me. Has the same occlusion issues that the vive has, just a smaller tracking area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Just measured my potential VR space. It's 8x7. Seems like the Oculus will be perfect for me.