Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

There's also no need to apologise to Scarfe for this use - it's exactly what he intended by it and Waters is currently using the same imagery on tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jedit posted:

There's also no need to apologise to Scarfe for this use - it's exactly what he intended by it and Waters is currently using the same imagery on tour.

The word "acknowledgements" would have been a better word, showing yes someone else made this imagry I am using. Still, dude does give credit to his inspiration, so that's not nothing.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Starshark posted:

Petshop Boys?

Or Boomtown Rats. The two bands are almost identical.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, I knew that image but didn't make the Nazi connection.

So what, the press corps is also Nazis?

Maybe, I don't know. Either way, they're not depicted at the trump rally.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, I knew that image but didn't make the Nazi connection.

So what, the press corps is also Nazis?

Everyone is Hitler.

-Ted Rall

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Non-political cartoonists who dip into politics know how many labels to use, why do people who do politics all the time not get it?

(Okay for out-of-the-loop reasons you might need to know that that's the current Ms Marvel, Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American Muslim and Jersey City's biggest superhero (and one of only like two inhumans anyone gives two shits about but that's comic books drama))

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Skippy Granola posted:

Luckily for the time being y'all are still a nominal democracy and you have a healthy judiciary so if there was ever time to throw a brick...

Hence the mixing of the slogan for being under Nazi occupation with the 'Oh poo poo, he's done what now? We need to protest' message.

Quorum posted:

Given the writing lately, a Bethesda game is the only kind we could possibly be in. And not one of the obsidian written ones either.

Are you sure? Cause I can't recall Bethesda villains being this cartoonishly evil. Like, there was an actual intentional moral dilemna in Fallout 4, and in Fallout 3, the Enclave were at least trying to improve what was, kind of objectively, a blasted and doomed hell scape that had no hope and no future.

I think we're in a Capcom game.
This is great. I think we should start an "actually good" alternative to the gay abortions since we'll have way too much crap this year.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Keiya posted:

Non-political cartoonists who dip into politics know how many labels to use, why do people who do politics all the time not get it?

(Okay for out-of-the-loop reasons you might need to know that that's the current Ms Marvel, Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American Muslim and Jersey City's biggest superhero (and one of only like two inhumans anyone gives two shits about but that's comic books drama))

Wait, she's an Inhuman? How does someone who knows they were created by aliens and not Allah square that with faith?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fulchrum posted:

This is great. I think we should start an "actually good" alternative to the gay abortions since we'll have way too much crap this year.

I'd like to second this suggestion. A focus on good comics ( not even necessarily ones we agree with, just well-made) would be really interesting.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, she's an Inhuman? How does someone who knows they were created by aliens and not Allah square that with faith?

One thing you might find with comic books is that there's a lot of stuff they don't bother to explain or explain really badly. Hope this didn't shock you too much.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Keiya posted:

Why is she sitting there sulking over a Nazi when she knows what she needs to do? There's even a comic panel on the floor reminding her!

https://i.imgur.com/g0Wm026.mp4

5 :canada:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Might be interesting to have a category for "least objectionable bad opinion toon". A cartoon that doesn't use lies, false equivalence, misrepresentation, bullshit or bad metaphors, but still argues it's point well for something we don't agree with.

You know, like an anti abortion cartoon that doesn't include a 2 months pregnant woman with a big eyed toddler in her womb, or a Muslim ban cartoon with....poo poo I don't see how you could defend that without lies, false equivalence, misrepresentation, bullshit or bad metaphors.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Starshark posted:

One thing you might find with comic books is that there's a lot of stuff they don't bother to explain or explain really badly. Hope this didn't shock you too much.

I thought Marvel were good at poo poo like this. People hold Khamela Khan as a positive Muslim character in media, so I assumed there was some exploration of her faith as it affected her powers and Identity.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Fulchrum posted:

Presumably the same way someone who studies prenatal development squares that with faith. I don't think that specifically has been explored, though other aspects of her faith have been.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

President Trump is off to a good start. So far, he’s implementing his campaign promises and that’s very encouraging. The world may be shocked, but too bad. The world is used to the United States bowing and giving in to demands. Trump is a business man who knows a bad deal when he sees one. While Obama played checkers and lost, Trump plays 3D chess—and he plays to win. He wants America to win again. It’s very refreshing.
Ben Garrison

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would be very surprised if trump knew how to play 2D chess

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

That loving sombrero piece on the US board. :doh:

I hope the guillotine saves a special spot for Garrison.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Help Im Alive posted:

I would be very surprised if trump knew how to play 2D chess

And judging from the number of pieces on the board, neither does Garrison.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Why is there a little demon nun piece in Arizona.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lord Hydronium posted:

That loving sombrero piece on the US board. :doh:

I hope the guillotine saves a special spot for Garrison.

It must be nice not live in reality, ever

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sandpuppy posted:

Why is she sitting there sulking over a Nazi when she knows what she needs to do? There's even a comic panel on the floor reminding her!

Because she knows that if she, as a Muslim, uses her powers to stop the fascists, they will use it as evidence that all Muslims are dangerous and the retribution on defenceless members of her faith will rival the Holocaust.

ZombieCat
May 3, 2014

Are we certain this isn't a Kelly cartoon in disguise? The dialogue is dead-on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Serious question for Garrison though: In what way is this possibly a checkmate? In what way is this "winning", which Garrison promises Trump will bring so much of?
I mean if Trump went in there and came back with news that Mexico was going to pay for the wall after all, that I could understand people seeing as a victory. But as it is all he did was sour relations and get the meeting called off. Where's the loving "checkmate"?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Jedit posted:

Because she knows that if she, as a Muslim, uses her powers to stop the fascists, they will use it as evidence that all Muslims are dangerous and the retribution on defenceless members of her faith will rival the Holocaust.
:(
I like it better when she fights the time cops with wolverine.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The problem with heroes who fight giant apes on the moon is that they're poo poo if we need heroes who can fight neo Nazis here on earth.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

Serious question for Garrison though: In what way is this possibly a checkmate? In what way is this "winning", which Garrison promises Trump will bring so much of?
I mean if Trump went in there and came back with news that Mexico was going to pay for the wall after all, that I could understand people seeing as a victory. But as it is all he did was sour relations and get the meeting called off. Where's the loving "checkmate"?

WINNING!

Seriously that's all it is, he is being cheered for throwing his idiot weight around like a playground bully.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why exactly was this supposed to be a big purposeful deception again rather than just the best guess of intelligence at the time? Like, what would he have theoretically gained? It's just such the dumbest thing to fixate on and I can't believe it's 2017 and they're not over it yet

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It's not the lying, it's the press coverage of the lying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

JaggerMcDagger posted:

President Trump is off to a good start. So far, he’s implementing his campaign promises and that’s very encouraging. The world may be shocked, but too bad. The world is used to the United States bowing and giving in to demands. Trump is a business man who knows a bad deal when he sees one. While Obama played checkers and lost, Trump plays 3D chess—and he plays to win. He wants America to win again. It’s very refreshing.
Ben Garrison

Trump is totally crushing Mexico by having us pay for the wall while they refuse to :downs:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

You keep loving that chicken, guys. I'm sure it'll improve Trump's image no end.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

Trump is totally crushing Mexico by having us pay for the wall while they refuse to :downs:

Hell I wonder if he isn't actually helping Mexico by giving them a force to be unified against.

(Don't get me wrong, Nieto is a fuckhead. But I wouldn't be surprised if his polling soared if he showed even a bit of backbone).

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Starshark posted:

You keep loving that chicken, guys. I'm sure it'll improve Trump's image no end.

To be fair it's pretty easy to improve on literally nothing.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Wow, why had nobody brought up this whole "Benghazi" thing before?!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

loquacius posted:

Why exactly was this supposed to be a big purposeful deception again rather than just the best guess of intelligence at the time? Like, what would he have theoretically gained? It's just such the dumbest thing to fixate on and I can't believe it's 2017 and they're not over it yet

That was still mostly correct as verified by the mastermind when they eventually caught him.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Obama had switched positions like literally the day after. This was even something Romney got called out on during the debates, which I'm sure sent fuckers like Ramirez into a frenzy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

So we're straight up never going to move past "Yes but what about Benghazi???" huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

So we're straight up never going to move past "Yes but what about Benghazi???" huh.
Benghazi happened and it's all Obama's Hillary's the White House Press Corp's fault.

• Locked thread