Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I am not very good at fighting games so holy poo poo did it feel good to just barely pull off a win in my first 1v1. This game can feel pretty drat cinematic when you're circling each other for a full minute before exploding into a desperate flurry of pants making GBS threads madness. Of course then this level 17 peacekeeper teabags my level 7 warden because it's a competitive fightmans game but THEN rahhhhh! The bleeding knight prevails with the gently caress you top light counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Vikings have already won the faction war, right? Beta ends in less than 3 hours.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Gameplay is really good, dedicated servers don't exist, content is incredibly sparse. Should be a f2p game.
There. That is my review.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I finally managed to meet a player who could beat me in a duel, but then he left after 1 match. WHY HAVE THOU FORSAKEN ME!?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

CountingWizard posted:

content is incredibly sparse.

Wow it's almost as if this was CB without a full map rotation, hero release, and no included campaign mode.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Citadel Gate, Overwatch, River Fort. Those are the maps right?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Yeah, but it's supposed to launch with 12 maps.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SweetBro posted:

Wow it's almost as if this was CB without a full map rotation, hero release, and no included campaign mode.

lol

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

had my first ragequit in a duel right as i was about to win, which was silly because it was p. evenly matched.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CountingWizard posted:

Citadel Gate, Overwatch, River Fort. Those are the maps right?

There's also Forest, Canyon, and Cathedral for the non-dominion gamemodes. Previous tests had two further full-sized dominion maps not in this beta.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Are there people that honestly, no joke, believe that when someone says "this game doesn't have enough content" that more maps and a redundant game mode are all that they want?

Just lol.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
lol at that because good deep gameplay is enough content for me. I already want to keep playing the beta because the actual you know game is rewarding enough

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wandle Cax posted:

lol at that because good deep gameplay is enough content for me.

Ok, that's fine. Do you think it's not right for others to feel there isn't enough?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, this game is fun but lmao eighty dollars for just the base game. A higher production value Chivalry isn't worth nearly a hundred dollars.

Hopefully it doesn't die in a few weeks like 90% of multiplayer games do and I can pick it up on the cheap from a Steam sale in a few months.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Chomp8645 posted:

Are there people that honestly, no joke, believe that when someone says "this game doesn't have enough content" that more maps and a redundant game mode are all that they want?

Just lol.

game looks and plays great

but lol at the lack of dedicated servers for a game like this

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kawabata posted:

game looks and plays great

but lol at the lack of dedicated servers for a game like this

I agree on both points.

I think just about everyone likes the way it plays. There just isn't much to do. The dueling is good. Dominion... exists. The faction war is completely pointless and retarded. More maps won't change any of those things. A 4v4 deathmatch really won't either.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

My only real complaint is environmental kills in 1v1. I feel like those should not be a thing at all

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

I agree on both points.

I think just about everyone likes the way it plays. There just isn't much to do. The dueling is good. Dominion... exists. The faction war is completely pointless and retarded. More maps won't change any of those things. A 4v4 deathmatch really won't either.

What sort of additional content would you expect?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Hard posted:

Teammates included.

Holy poo poo you attacked my target, he revenged and killed me all because of you.

:raise:

I like that this beta has added bonuses for killing an enemy together. Used to be you got gently caress all and people would whine about kill stealing.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just fought the same guy in a 1v1 for like 2 hours straight till he got disconnected randomly in the match. Nobushi Vs Beserker. I'd say he was better than me at the start but after a while I figured him out. He was real friendly in the chat too. God speed wherever you are guy :shobon:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the revenge system could use some work. evening a 2v1 to 2v2 shouldnt give the dude im targeting more revenge.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Wandle Cax posted:

There are two big things they could do to improve value imo off the top of my head. The first would be a proper "big battle mode". Something that really feels like you're in the chaos. Dominion gets there a little bit... but not really. It's just a 4v4 with control points and a pile of mooks in the middle. Some kind actual siege with attackers and defenders would be cool, instead of this mode where there are "attackers" and "defenders" in name only. Unfortunately a a real "big battle mode" is probably impossible due to the magic of P2P.

Another would be to make the Faction War actually fun to engage with. Right now it is totally pointless. There is nothing to do with it. I don't have a specific idea cooked up for this one, but I'm not on the game design team. Something to actually make you feel attached to your faction and able to interact with the war in an engaging way would be a great addition.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Wandle Cax posted:

Ubisoft will probably mess this up, but to me a shitload of low drop % cosmetics you might or might not get at the end of every game plus maybe 1 or 2 more modes would be plenty. Imagine if they treated this game the way Kaplan treats Overwatch, with constant back and forth from the community, aggressive balancing and so on. This could be a pretty big hit.

Price they announced is ridiculous. I don't know why they don't ask for 1/3 of that and then periodically release cosmetics/new characters (no more than 3-4 a year would be perfect) that either you grind in game or you buy with your hard earned money. You're a loving knight in this game, people will buy cosmetics for their loving knight. BOOM, literally trains of money for Ubi.

EDIT: market it like a cool looking esports too

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

haha apparently the geysers will instantly kill you if you're standing on them when they explode. just won a duel that way.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I like the game well enough as it is, bigger game modes just become more of a clusterfuck where your personal performance/skill becomes less important, and anything more than 2v2 is already a big enough clusterfuck as it is. The combat system is heavily geared towards small, intense fights, large scale poo poo belongs in a game that already exists called Chivalry which has it's own problems (such as the small scale intense fights being lovely)

I agree that the territory war thing is kind of underwhelming right now and maybe they could flesh it out somehow beyond just dumping nebulous 'war asset' points into zones. But I'm fine with it as it is right now and am currently on the 'buy it' side of the fence. The price is a bit steep for what it is which is unfortunate, I'd prefer it started at 40 for the base game (like noted multiplayer heavyweight Overwatch) but the business guys at ubisoft are pretty brainless it seems and can't figure out how to price anything that isn't a AAA budget single player game. I looked up what the preorder / 'deluxe edition' rewards for this are, which had to be done off the main store page because they took that info down because it's a loving joke how worthless it is.

Oh well, I don't think I'll be getting it day 1 at least, give some time to make sure there aren't gamebreaking issues that sneak in or something, but I'm cautiously optimistic right now.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
major issue to me is just p2p. they pretty much acknowledge it's a fighting game, why would they think p2p is acceptable?

panda clue
May 23, 2014
This thread went to poo poo in a hurry. It's okay for people to have different opinions about things, guys. Really.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

panda clue posted:

This thread went to poo poo in a hurry. It's okay for people to have different opinions about things, guys. Really.

thread looks good to me

on the other hand for honor might actually go to poo poo in a hurry, for all the valid points expressed by the previous posters that (like me) enjoy the unique flavor this game brings and dont want to see it go to waste due to ubisoft's incompetent pricing and support

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

panda clue posted:

Uhh...what? I don't think you've seen a poo poo thread in games

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
The Warden's Inspire ability makes the minions into hilarious murder machines.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Keegers posted:

My only real complaint is environmental kills in 1v1. I feel like those should not be a thing at all

I love throwing people around in 1v1s or 2v2s as the Raider, people get so mad about my lack of "honour".

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Knocking people off ledges and into fires is the most amazing thing. Once the game launches I'm probably going to make a compilation video of knocking dudes off cliffs set to yakety sax or some poo poo.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
RIP the beta. I am going to pick this up and have fun smashing people but I don't blame anyone who doesn't.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i had fun in the beta but i might wait for a sale to buy it full price.

i hope this doesn't have the problem that siege has where the new characters every season are just straight up better than the originals for a few weeks.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I'm gonna wait till launch see what they change and such

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

major issue to me is just p2p. they pretty much acknowledge it's a fighting game, why would they think p2p is acceptable?

Not to argue for or against p2p vs dedicated but most fighting games on consoles do use p2p. I don't know of an example of a current console fighting game that does use dedicated servers to host the matches.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 30, 2017

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Yeah I had an absolute loving blast playing this game. I always had my doubts about it but when I found out the Rainbow 6: Siege team was making it I wondered if they could accidentally make two good games. Looks like they did! Shame about all the Ubi bullshit attached though. It could be so much better with real support behind it :ohdear:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

The internet in a nutshell. There is no middle ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Yeah I had an absolute loving blast playing this game. I always had my doubts about it but when I found out the Rainbow 6: Siege team was making it I wondered if they could accidentally make two good games. Looks like they did! Shame about all the Ubi bullshit attached though. It could be so much better with real support behind it :ohdear:

idgi, overpriced DLC aside, as far as i can tell ubisoft support their games very well with updates and fixes continuing long after release. at least the sequel will be excellent too