Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
A nazi lived on my street in northeast ohio in ~1999-2002~ or so. His name was Otto Rauer. Nice old guy in his early 70s. I raked leaves for him and he paid me in old issues of National geographic. It was basically Apt Pupil IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
It basically comes down to me not trusting any of you fuckers to be the ones to decide two gets to be labeled a Nazi. Who is to say that you won't slip up, or target your enemies on purpose, or take their words our of context, and it's open season for violence.

Another thing that is not often discussed is that violence and beating your enemies feels really really good, especially if you feel you are doing it for a righteous cause. It's like a drug, once you start beating people up you will start seeing Nazis everywhere. Your judgement becomes compromised, but who will have the courage to stand up to the angry murderous mob? Anyone who does will be labeled a Nazi sympathizer, thus a Nazi, and will be next in line for the fist massage.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

oh no, then we will have a bunch of nazis punched and possibly some trump supporters also punched on accident. what a shame

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

esto es malo posted:

oh no, then we will have a bunch of nazis punched and possibly some trump supporters also punched on accident. what a shame

And the Trump supporters will feel like they are being targeted for beatings, and organize into their own gangs for protection. Suddenly all their paranoia about how the liberals are out to get them will be validated, good luck getting the country back to civility once the line is drawn and the fighting starts.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

well it looks like people will just have to stop being trump voters then

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Trump supporters already organize their own gangs, they're just called militias.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

the read i'm getting from the rest of the thread is that people believe that punching nazis feels good so they make up whatever excuse is necessary to justify doing it, despite its dumbness

Vigilante violence against individuals who are using their constitutionally protected right to speech is wrong.

However, some people try to legitimize the vigilante violence by calling it self-defense against future crimes.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Pseudo-God posted:

It basically comes down to me not trusting any of you fuckers to be the ones to decide two gets to be labeled a Nazi.
A lot of people don't trust a lot of other people to do the right thing, but the antifascists aren't the ones indiscriminately bombing foreigners, banning refugees or interring them in detention/concentration camps, running for-profit prisons, shooting kids in public parks etc

quote:

Another thing that is not often discussed is that violence and beating your enemies feels really really good
uh..... it actually doesn't? Militants have to be trained to do it to break social conditioning against violence, and even then they often end up with PTSD

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

Rodatose posted:

A lot of people don't trust a lot of other people to do the right thing, but the antifascists aren't the ones indiscriminately bombing foreigners, banning refugees or interring them in detention/concentration camps, running for-profit prisons, shooting kids in public parks etc

As if any of those things justify violence when you do it. The government does something bad, suddenly it's ok to punch people in the street? How does that make any sense?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Kubrick posted:

However, some people try to legitimize the vigilante violence by calling it self-defense against future crimes.

or alternately, dehumanizing the targets of the violence as though they were raised entirely on "destroy this mad brute"-style propaganda

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

MattD1zzl3 posted:

A nazi lived on my street in northeast ohio in ~1999-2002~ or so. His name was Otto Rauer. Nice old guy in his early 70s. I raked leaves for him and he paid me in old issues of National geographic. It was basically Apt Pupil IRL.
Sounds about right.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

The whole point of the "punching Nazis is okay" argument is that it will help to suppress Nazis/fascists, so anti-fascists being violent with white nationalists is not inherently a bad thing unless it somehow leads to the white nationalists becoming stronger and increasing/perpetrating their own violence. In this particular incident no one was seemingly hurt but antifascists (who went into the situation knowing that might be an outcome) and white nationalists (and who gives a poo poo about them, that's the risk they take being white nationalists). Also, I do not consider white nationalists experiencing violent push-back to be a bad thing at all! Maybe next time they'll be a little more hesitant to appear in public.

What you need to show me to support your argument is some sort of historical situation where anti-fascists being violent against fascists somehow helped said fascists rise to power (or made society fall into anarchy or some similarly terrible result).

Of course, you also have the option of arguing this from a moral perspective. If you believe that punching Nazis is immoral, that's a completely different argument, and you can try to make that argument regardless of whether Nazi-punching is a slippery slope to something bad. Most of the people in this thread consider punching Nazis to be, at worst, a morally neutral action (and at best a good thing), and I have a strong feeling that you and others arguing against them actually disagree with this moral assertion and are just choosing to make a pragmatic argument because you think it'll be more effective.

For what it's worth, I'm not convinced that punching Nazis will suppress them or have any significant pragmatic use (other than just a Nazi being punched) either. But I'm even less convinced that it will be a slippery slope to something terrible, so, for me, it boils down to a moral argument. And I do not consider Nazis being punched to be an inherently immoral action. I actually do consider killing (or causing some more serious harm to) Nazis who haven't yet acted violently themselves to be immoral, but punching is usually not going to result in any permanent harm. I also do not believe that the law should be changed to allow Nazis to be punched. I just think that, on a personal level, it's okay and I would look the other way if I saw it happen. But I understand that creating legal exceptions to violence is probably a bad idea.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Rodatose posted:

uh..... it actually doesn't? Militants have to be trained to do it to break social conditioning against violence, and even then they often end up with PTSD

which is why this discussion isn't about the actions of militants, but the actions of raving idiots punching random people in the street

but lol that you're worried about getting ptsd from punching a nazi

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2016/06/27/violent-clashes-erupt-sacramento-between-white-nationalists-and-antifascists

But first, why are we taking it on faith that it won't? Is it really that unreasonable for me to ask that when contemplating engaging in a campaign of targeted assaults, it should be the responsibility of the people advocating for the action to prove that it will have the results they predict without any undesired escalations?

I think most people find it hard to mentor kids when they're serving time on an assault conviction, but maybe I'm wrong. And I wasn't saying that they only recruit while hiding underground, I was saying that violently suppressing them will have no actual effect on the spread of the ideology.

Oh, it's been almost a day, so I was really starting to feel the absence of this one. "Why are you so concerned about the degradation of social norms that should be protecting everyone, why do you love nazis so much?" :allears:

Why don't you run me through your logic on why minorities will be so much safer once everyone decides that attacking people they don't like is a good idea? Oh, that's right, somehow only Nazis ever get punched in your fairy stories. But of course, minorities are already getting attacked, which means that they can't be attacked more. Oh, I'm defeated. Did I miss a part?

I've got my own opinions on the morality of the action, but it's already clear that most of the posters in this thread have decided that nothing done to their preferred target can ever be immoral, so I'm not going to bother with that angle.

Minorities are already being attacked dumbass, but I'm glad we live in a perfect world where hate crimes don't exist.

Be careful, your white sheet is showing!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

They're a political group.

We fundamentally disagree on this point. So I dunno, we're at an impasse.

I disagree with the base of your assertion and I disagree with your slippery slopes.

thread tell me, what do? I'm still pro-Nazi punching btw.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

And the Trump supporters will feel like they are being targeted for beatings, and organize into their own gangs for protection. Suddenly all their paranoia about how the liberals are out to get them will be validated, good luck getting the country back to civility once the line is drawn and the fighting starts.

They do already, white supremacist gangs are a thing.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

I disagree with the base of your assertion and I disagree with your slippery slopes.

thread tell me, what do? I'm still pro-Nazi punching btw.

keep on punching

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Pseudo-God posted:

As if any of those things justify violence when you do it. The government does something bad, suddenly it's ok to punch people in the street? How does that make any sense?

I replied to earlier to you about your fears of 'opening the pandora's box'

Rodatose posted:

It's already open (see the indiscriminate killing of hundreds of thousands of innocent muslims that america celebrates and refuses to prosecute), just not against white christians at home who express a desire to enact a more organized and openly stated slaughter

quote:

Like I don't think you understand how much america shat the bed in destabilizing the middle east. I guess we thought we could violence it up halfway across the world and not feel the effects of it, but refugees fleeing the carnage we sewed and the constant stream of violent, dehumanizing propaganda that came with the war on terror has resulted in nations adopting more xenophobic policies worldwide and a refusal to hold accountable those enforcers who break the law in victimizing people on a racial/religious basis. Unpunished violence america inflicted on 'foreign policy objectives' went untreated for too long, and now it's spread because everyone thinks they can do the same and be just as corrupt.

It's not a "should we or shouldn't we" argument, because it's already happened and things are going to get a lot worse for everybody. Control has fallen out of the hands of those who should have been respectable, responsible official actors (who in an ideal world are subject to oversight, and for whom this oversight is the check on runaway excesses of violence).

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

which is why this discussion isn't about the actions of militants, but the actions of raving idiots punching random people in the street

militants are people who are militant, and are also often raving idiots causing indiscriminate violence

I'd think you'd feel that way about state actors too considering your outlook stated in earlier in the thread is "everyone should just, like, chill out."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So tell me Kesshound, are GamerGate a political group? Where do we draw the line? Where do we draw the line I say???

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I guess a lot of people ITT watched Inglourious Basterds and felt very differently about it than I did:

"You can't mutilate the Jew Hunter like that! He's your prisoner!"

"You operate a cinema! You can't just murder your customers like that! Some of those people who came to this high-profile gathering of Nazi brass for the debut of a propaganda flick might be totally innocent! You monster!"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Kilroy posted:

I guess a lot of people ITT watched Inglourious Basterds and felt very differently about it than I did:

"You can't mutilate the Jew Hunter like that! He's your prisoner!"

"You operate a cinema! You can't just murder your customers like that! Some of those people who came to this high-profile gathering of Nazi brass for the debut of a propaganda flick might be totally innocent! You monster!"

Yeah, they read trump's presser for Holocaust Remembrance Day and went "well, if the president says all lives matter, who am I to argue???"

swine gonna swine

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
"Schindler's List? That black and white film? Haven't seen it - seems boring, no?"

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Rodatose posted:

militants are people who are militant, and are also often raving idiots causing indiscriminate violence

I'd think you'd understand that considering your outlook is "everyone should just like chill out."

the term as i hear it is most often used to refer to crazy assholes beheading people and posting the video, nice deflection

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SSNeoman posted:

To be fair, I think Nazis actually are a political group, but I also think that some political groups are uniquely and fundamentally different than others and should not be tolerated. So just because Nazism is also a set of political beliefs does not mean that it can be compared with other political views.

edit: Also lol at Pittsburgh Lambic's post referring to "raving idiots punching random people in the streets." Last I checked Nazis are not just random people (and I think most people here would support arresting someone actually punching random non-Nazis).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 30, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Kesshound walks through a kindergarden class

"okay now that we're in groups, let's talk about the newest book, the Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar. Which group will start on page 1?"

He suddenly freezes and points a jittery finger at the source of the voice "I DISAGREE WITH YOUR INTOLERANT POLITICS! SURELY IF WE LET THIS DIVISION CONTINUE WE WILL ALL BE FRUIT!!!"

He knocks the book out of the teacher's hands and runs away screaming about the end of society.

EDIT: soz forgot you're against violence. Uhhhh kay.

He runs away screaming about society before starting a foundation to help all children fight off the specter of fruit.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 30, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
some pretty solid debate & discussion itt

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

Rodatose posted:

I replied to earlier to you about your fears of 'opening the pandora's box'

I still don't get how those things lead to the conclusion that punching Nazis wherever you find them in the streets is an OK thing to do.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

I still don't get how those things lead to the conclusion that punching Nazis wherever you find them in the streets is an OK thing to do.

that's because you sympathize more with Nazis than with victims of Nazis, hth

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

the term as i hear it is most often used to refer to crazy assholes beheading people and posting the video, nice deflection
so i'm guessing you think of it as whatever not-white people that the media tries to drum up as the villain of the week are, but army dudes canoeing a dead civilian's head or pissing on their corpse and then posting a picture of it doesn't count

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

PLEASe do not punch nazis as i am deathly afraid of punches!!! thank you!!!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Rodatose posted:

so i'm guessing you think of it as whatever not-white people that the media tries to drum up as the villain of the week are, but army dudes canoeing a dead civilian's head or pissing on their corpse and then posting a picture of it doesn't count

we're talking about two entirely different things at this point

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

some pretty solid debate & discussion itt

Your side is trying to convince us that genocide is a political position. I do not, and cannot, accept it. We're uh kinda done discussing.

yeah yeah inb4 im the intolerant liberal or whatever the gently caress

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Pseudo-God posted:

It's not about it being OK, it's that the trust in official actors to act even-handedly and defend those who are most vulnerable has eroded to a point where everyone is already building up their own defenses, at national and local levels

Whether it's okay or not is a moot point, because it's happening, and the time to rationally talk about whether it was acceptable was back when society had a chance to hold either bad apples or a corrupt system accountable.

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 30, 2017

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Rodatose posted:

It's not about it being OK, it's that the trust in official actors to act even-handedly and defend those who are most vulnerable has eroded to a point where everyone is already building up their own defenses, at national and local levels

most people i hear talk like that end up arming themselves to fight off the inevitable u.n. convoy invasion

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
trump got elected so it's time to TAKE THE LAW INTO MY OWN HANDS *runs outside and it's that Hatred trailer*

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

most people i hear talk like that end up arming themselves to fight off the inevitable u.n. convoy invasion

so you know mostly insane white people, got it

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

that's what paranoid white survivalists in the mountains do; the fact that that's what you think of makes me think you don't know many people who belong to groups that would actually be targeted by an authoritarian right wing regime

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Legit waiting for remixes

And also everyone else's hot takes before I reveal the twist

• Locked thread