Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

what if the head trauma from punching is what creates nazis, basically the inverse of goku being dropped on his head as a baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

I really hate to "pull rank" about who suffered more, since it is very unhelpful and distracting, but you brought the oppression olympics yourself by calling me a Nazi sympathizer. So let me try to explain this in another way.

If we accept that Nazis have a special status as true evil and are to be hunted down wherever they are found, the natural consequence is that Nazis will be free to be attacked carte blanche. Who gets to decide who is a Nazi or not? Well you might say, his opinions give him away, this guy is clearly a Nazi, therefore he brought him on himself. But since there is no clear line of what is a Nazi or not, and when you leave the judgement to the mobs, people who are not Nazis but might have racist opinions are caught up in beatings (opinions such as Jewish bankers, race realism, standard white supremacists). If you don't intervene, the list of acceptable targets increases with time, if you intervene, you risk of being labeled a Nazi and are subject to the beating yourself. This is what I meant when I compared Nazis to right-wingers and centrists. I fully understand your point, I just disagree with it.

won't somebody please think of the poor racists?

hey here's a clue: nazis advocate for white supremacy and genocide

sorry you have no memory of history before the nineties~

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Rodatose posted:

It's pretty simple. "Can you coexist in a society with people of other innate statuses?" If the answer is "yes" congratulations, you can exist in a peace-loving society! If the answer is "no, i'm going to live in the remote mountains of idaho," congratulations, you aren't causing harm. If the answer is "But do we need the black race? I think i'm going to start getting into politics and spreading a genocide-positive message" then you and the peace-loving society can't thrive side-by-side. There's no use allowing those ideas to have even the chance to take root on the chance they bring fruit and destabilize society.

Germany has banned swastikas and nazi symbolism, and teaches a deep sense of guilt about their actions in WWII. Germany is one of the developed countries that's been least susceptible to the neo-nationalist swing that worldwide politics has seen lately.
There's certainly room for reasonable disagreement as to what limits on free speech exist in a free and open society. I'm not going to argue that Germany's laws make it a tyranny, but they certainly make Germany an outlier (which makes sense given the history) in the same way that America's free speech absolutism is an outlier in the other direction.

However, "this speech can be criminalized by the state in a manner consistent with the due process of law" and "this speech can be met with vigilante hit-and-run sucker punches" are light years apart.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You literally need to wait until they stuff you into the gas chamber before you can oppose them guys, anything else is just .... uncivilized!! :shrug:

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

i don't think you "get" stone cold

keep on capitulating, swine

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

You know this thing with politicians that run for office and dudes that work with them and advise them and then stuff happens?? Maybe you haven't heard of it a lot of people don't understand it.

so he has an idea and he's trying to get people to share his idea and it hasn't worked because we don't have some kind of weird active genocide going on, idg the risk

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

so he has an idea and he's trying to get people to share his idea and it hasn't worked because we don't have some kind of weird active genocide going on, idg the risk

hate crimes don't exist

there's not an active Muslim ban

unless literal camps exist, genocide isn't happening

-totally not a pissbaby

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The vagueries of nazism. The grey zone of fascism. Schrödinger's Hitler.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
If you wait until they succeed won't it be a bit too late to do anything about it?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
i mean there's some kind of notion in the thread that humanity can't be trusted to have certain ideas floating around the population, and i'm a bit too optimistic about humanity to really go with that

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

FreeKillB posted:

However, "this speech can be criminalized by the state in a manner consistent with the due process of law" and "this speech can be met with vigilante hit-and-run sucker punches" are light years apart.
Yeah the former is preferable and the latter is only necessary when things start to get out of hand to keep from getting more out of hand. Also it's still not legal (and is more likely to be legally punished than illegal violence done by the state against minorities)

The lack of equal due process in the US is a problem central to this

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yet not optimistic enough to trust that fash-bashing wont spiral out of control into The Purge

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
that's never been my opinion, you're confusing me with something else or maybe the narrative of one of those youtube guys

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If you can't see how this fresh, hip idea about racial cleansing is genuinely gaining traction in the past couple of years, you must not be watching the news.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

i mean there's some kind of notion in the thread that humanity can't be trusted to have certain ideas floating around the population, and i'm a bit too optimistic about humanity to really go with that
You know when Jewish people say "Never again" the again part actually refers to something that already happened, right?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

Jewish bankers

could you elucidate on what you mean about opinions on "Jewish bankers," by the way, friend

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

R. Mute posted:

You know when Jewish people say "Never again" the again part actually refers to something that already happened, right?

i have, and as i brought up earlier i don't really see a genocide as capable of occurring in america at the moment and haven't been persuaded to the contrary

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

highest % prison population on earth, have a history of genocide against native americans and africans/african americans which is still ignored or felt hostility towards by many to this day, illegally killed hundreds of thousands of middle easterners within this generation, have a highly-volatile president who's already banned muslims from entering the country 8 days in and previously suggested putting latinos onto train cars

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i have, and as i brought up earlier i don't really see a genocide as capable of occurring in america at the moment and haven't been persuaded to the contrary

-a guait

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

If you can't see how this fresh, hip idea about racial cleansing is genuinely gaining traction in the past couple of years, you must not be watching the news.

i have, and people in the u.s. are getting less murderous each year, rather than more

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i have, and people in the u.s. are getting less murderous each year, rather than more

studiously ignores the rise in hate crimes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

... and that relates to people working tirelessly to accomplish literal, actual genocide in what way exactly?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

... and that relates to people working tirelessly to accomplish literal, actual genocide in what way exactly?

it relates to them failing hilariously

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

sorry im getting all the nazi defenders itt confused

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Let me walk you through it:

1. You say people can be trusted with ideas like fascism
2. I point out that the last time we trusted people with ideas like fascism, we got fascism and also the Holocaust, a clear example that you shouldn't trust people with ideas like fascism.
3. You don't get it.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Everything will turn out all right then. You can take it easy. we can just chill out, like you say, while having the most posts in this thread.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

R. Mute posted:

Let me walk you through it:

1. You say people can be trusted with ideas like fascism
2. I point out that the last time we trusted people with ideas like fascism, we got fascism and also the Holocaust, a clear example that you shouldn't trust people with ideas like fascism.
3. You don't get it.

trusting people to be capable of entertaining a given idea did not directly lead to genocide, dude

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

certainly, there's never been a ramp up in hate crimes against minorities in the run up to a genocide

nope, they appear spontaneously

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

So you're saying that it's impossible they they'll ever succeed? I guess? Which is pretty dumb?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

So you're saying that it's impossible they they'll ever succeed? I guess? Which is pretty dumb?

i'm saying that i haven't seen any convincing indicators that they will, other than if you scream trump or something, which i don't really sign onto as an indicator of impending fascism or genocide despite joking about it continually in the months leading up to the election

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Calibanibal posted:

PLEASe do not punch nazis as i am deathly afraid of punches!!! thank you!!!
Can we kick them?

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah just like all those other times throughout history that people attacking fascists has lead to either societal collapse or the fascists taking power faster (though I guess you could argue societal collapse is sometimes better than fascists taking power)!

You seem to be operating off of an assumption you're making entirely based upon faith. Like, I see no rational reason to believe that punching Nazis will somehow spiral out of control into violence against non-evil groups. Like, if you could give some examples of this actually happening I'd like to see it and would even change my mind. Generally speaking, people who are willing to hurt non-Nazis/fascists are going to do so regardless; people punching Nazis isn't going to somehow make them worse than they were before.

The much analyzed Battle of Cable street here in this very thread shows such an example, where violence against fascists in the streets not only was ineffective, but counterproductive, with membership of the British Union of Fascists climbing by over 2000 after the event. Obviously the war put a stop to the activities of the BUF, that's why they disappeared in the years of the war and after.

http://www.historytoday.com/daniel-tilles/myth-cable-street

My main objection to not allowing people to be punched in the street for being a Nazi follow from this simple principle: If we make it acceptable to punch Nazis, people will slowly start to justify punching their political opponents for non-Nazi related opinions. If we allow this sentiment to grow unchecked, it will deal great damage to the fabric of society. I personally benefit from this stability, as I enjoy discussing contentious opinions with people and don't want to fear being attacked at any point for my opinions. What kind of society will we have if we are only free to talk about non-controversial issues? Not one where we benefit, that's for sure. This is a wet dream of the elites, they don't have to police the population at all, they can just depend on them beating each other over their opinions while they remain in power. If it comes down to the need of them intervening directly, they will have full justification to go after anyone they want for contentious opinions, whether they are real or just made up. It is absolutely critical to not let them have this power, for the good of everyone.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i'm saying that i haven't seen any convincing indicators that they will, other than if you scream trump or something, which i don't really sign onto as an indicator of impending fascism or genocide despite joking about it continually in the months leading up to the election

extry extry! person who buries head in sand sees and hears nothing!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Pseudo-God posted:

The much analyzed Battle of Cable street here in this very thread shows such an example, where violence against fascists in the streets not only was ineffective, but counterproductive, with membership of the British Union of Fascists climbing by over 2000 after the event. Obviously the war put a stop to the activities of the BUF, that's why they disappeared in the years of the war and after.

My main objection to not allowing people to be punched in the street for being a Nazi follow from this simple principle: If we make it acceptable to punch Nazis, people will slowly start to justify punching their political opponents for non-Nazi related opinions. If we allow this sentiment to grow unchecked, it will deal great damage to the fabric of society. I personally benefit from this stability, as I enjoy discussing contentious opinions with people and don't want to fear being attacked at any point for my opinions. What kind of society will we have if we are only free to talk about non-controversial issues? Not one where we benefit, that's for sure. This is a wet dream of the elites, they don't have to police the population at all, they can just depend on them beating each other over their opinions while they remain in power. If it comes down to the need of them intervening directly, they will have full justification to go after anyone they want for contentious opinions, whether they are real or just made up. It is absolutely critical to not let them have this power, for the good of everyone.

could you please explain by what you meant about Jewish bankers

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Pseudo-God posted:

careful man, someone's going to mockingly accuse you of using a "slippery slope" argument and maybe even suggest you're autistic

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There was this little thing called World War II that maybe you've heard of?

It's a doctrine that fundamentally revolves around categorical oppression and mass murder, Hitler (you know, THAT GUY) crushed his opposition with assassination and seized power, and you think they should just get unlimited time and do-overs until they actually are in control? What?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

There was this little thing called World War II that maybe you've heard of?

It's a doctrine that fundamentally revolves around categorical oppression and mass murder, Hitler (you know, THAT GUY) crushed his opposition with assassination and seized power, and you think they should just get unlimited time and do-overs until they actually are in control? What?

i went over that before man, the world and ~the culture~ changed at least in my view

basically the way i see it is people are still lovely but less lovely than they used to be, like violently lovely, in the grand scheme of things

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 30, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Turns out the polio vaccine was really a retrovirus that fundamentally and permanently altered the human genome such that we tolerate atrocities just a little less, which happens to be barely enough to stop another Holocaust from ever happening.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

stone cold posted:

could you elucidate on what you mean about opinions on "Jewish bankers," by the way, friend

A non-Nazi, non-genocidal, non-hateful, but still racist person might make a statement such as "Man those Jews control everyone through the banks and hold the globe in power with the power of debt", and get marked for violence.

Why do I feel as if you are looking for an opinion of mine to grab, as if you want to say "Aha, gotcha! I knew you were a Nazi, that's why you are defending them!". Why can't you get that by defending a universal principle, you make everyone better off, including yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i went over that before man, the world and ~the culture~ changed at least in my view

basically the way i see it is people are still lovely but less lovely than they used to be, like violently lovely, in the grand scheme of things

Your view (that nazi organization is on the decline or not gaining traction) is provably really wrong though. Like, super wrong. I mean, here's one pretty loud and clear example:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/dec/01/stop-fascism-becoming-word-of-the-year-urges-us-dictionary

"People are too nice to get into fascism these days guys" ahahahaha

• Locked thread