Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should it be legal for other people to assault you if they disagree with you?
This poll is closed.
Yes 183 49.06%
No 190 50.94%
Total: 328 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I'm not being ironic but I assume your confusion is because you're fascist apologist piece of poo poo? And don't worry your "antifa are the real nazis" bullshit is bullshit so you won't get punched just for being one of those, and also because you're probably a political homebody. You do seem really worried that nazis in all but self accepting name might catch a stray swing though, do you, perhaps, believe racial mixing is white genocide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
what, i don't believe any of that, are you replying to something else

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

that sounds like a slippery slope fallacy man, you're being disingenuous and don't belong in our pristine precious d&d
I don't think you know what a slippery slope fallacy is.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

whoops, did you die of a police murder :ohdear:

stone cold posted:

go to hell pig

join your beloved hitler

I'd be fine with both of you guys punching each other out.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Kilroy posted:

I don't think you know what a slippery slope fallacy is.

i didn't claim to

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Kubrick posted:

I'd be fine with both of you guys punching each other out.

maybe the truth is in the middle, quoth the sage

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Oh ok good. But you think antifa can't tell the difference for some reason, and when they're all hopped up on goofballs after-a-bashin' they might start eyeballing random people like yourself. Or maybe you're arguing in bad faith because your immense privilege has blinded you to reality. I don't know. I'm confused too. We're all confused.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

well yeah, it's not like a roadrunner cartoon where the nazis keep setting up one elaborate rube goldberg contraption after another until one finally works and all the jews get dead

what i see is they're not capable of succeeding in the united states at all anymore, due to reasons i've discussed, they can keep trying and they'll keep failing because the nazi thing can never garner enough support to genocide some peeps

It's okay everybody, we're too chillax and there's just no way it can happen here :shrug:

Keep your head in the sand, it must be really comfortable.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
but stone cold claims to be a girl, are you advocating violence against women

wait, is it okay to punch a girl nazi, this is important

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Very OK :thumbsup:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Oh ok good. But you think antifa can't tell the difference for some reason, and when they're all hopped up on goofballs after-a-bashin' they might start eyeballing random people like yourself. Or maybe you're arguing in bad faith because your immense privilege has blinded you to reality. I don't know. I'm confused too. We're all confused.

didn't argue that either man, i just think punching nazis is dumb and people attach all kinds of satellite opinions to that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well yeah, it's not like a roadrunner cartoon where the nazis keep setting up one elaborate rube goldberg contraption after another until one finally works and all the jews get dead

and ps yes, it literally is just like that.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

please don't call women girls

or I guess do since your type is all about the kinder kuche kirche

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

It's okay everybody, we're too chillax and there's just no way it can happen here :shrug:

Keep your head in the sand, it must be really comfortable.

hmm ok, what are the hate crime statistics from that same site

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

never stop punching nazis

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

a non nazi "wow this splc sure is suspicious, must be fake news tra la la"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

spencer is crying about how they'll never succeed if they keep getting hilariously clobbered in public, so punch nazi good imo

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

didn't argue that either man, i just think punching nazis is dumb and people attach all kinds of satellite opinions to that

I dunno, I just think our culture has changed to the point that Antifa protestors won't accidentally punch non-Nazis

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
ok so lets just pretend that the united states just elected a freeper, racists feel empowered to burn mosques and harass people non stop, and its 10 days in with a loving constitutional crisis, what is the not-dumb way to stop them before they start savaging justice? When they round people up in airports? When they're defying court ordered injunctions? When they have full power over all the apparatus of the most powerful military in the history of the world? Is it better to just mock them as you're led onto the trains and then later struggle when you're pushed through the gates or vice versa?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pseudo-God posted:

I also remember when I first read the logical fallacies page on Wikipedia, couldn't wait to copy paste them against my debate opponents to show them how smart I am. I asked my politics professor how can I tell when a slippery slope is an example of a logical fallacy and when is it legitimate, and I remember his answer very well. He said "use your judgement", a very wise suggestion, unlike what I am seeing here in this thread, where people can't wait to jump on you with "You just used this fallacy, your argument is invalid :smuggo:", not realizing that sometimes it is valid reasoning.

Well, "if you punch Nazis next thing you know everyone will be getting punched" is actually a really good example of a slippery slope fallacy, absent some sort of historical precedent.

By the way, I find it really funny how Pittsburgh Lambic is somehow optimistic that people will never become fascist again, but simultaneously believes that society will devolve into uncontrolled violence if some Nazis are punched. Like, it's totally unrealistic that fascism could become popular again (despite there being clear historical precedent), but totally realistic that punching some Nazis will result in everyone violently attacking each other for their political beliefs (despite there not really being any historical precedent for this happening).

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

ok so lets just pretend that the united states just elected a freeper, racists feel empowered to burn mosques and harass people non stop, and its 10 days in with a loving constitutional crisis, what is the not-dumb way to stop them before they start savaging justice? When they round people up in airports? When they're defying court ordered injunctions? When they have full power over all the apparatus of the most powerful military in the history of the world? Is it better to just mock them as you're led onto the trains and then later struggle when you're pushed through the gates or vice versa?

pittsburgh lambic is not getting led on the trains, fyi

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The far right (whether meeting the incredibly narrow criteria for nazism or fascism that have currency in this thread or not) have quite a history of radicalising people who go on to murder people on the basis of their ideology. There's even a term they use for the doctrine by which they maintain plausible deniability for inciting these crimes. To continue suggesting such inciting rhetoric is protected speech and that nazis shouldn't be punched because they're pissing into the wind is hilarious, when it would seem by the current circumstances that white supremacists and authoritarian fascists already have some profound influence on national policy. When the likes of Steve Bannon are in charge of organs of the state responsible for monitoring and combating hate groups, the government alone cannot be trusted to combat them.

Besides this, the rightly-punched Richard Spencer in particular is a dude who openly attempted to organise an "armed march against the jews", which is exactly how a loving pogrom starts. How was this march prevented? The local populace manifested to physically oppose it and the nazis, cowards and bullies that they are, shat it and failed to show up.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 30, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

i didn't claim to
well maybe you should take a break from this thread and do a bit of reading, then come back and never stfu about "slippery slope fallacy"

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Kilroy posted:

well maybe you should take a break from this thread and do a bit of reading, then come back and never stfu about "slippery slope fallacy"

i might take a break from the thread since it's getting late, don't know about the reading part though :shrug:

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I hope some day people will be as tolerant of my intolerance against intolerance as they are with nazis.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Mass deportations of ethnic or religious groups constitute Crimes against Humanity at the very least and genocide at worst so when a sitting President(s adviser) begins to enact Executive Orders that have the sole aim of deporting Muslims (but have been dressed up in enough flowery language to dog whistle) and people itt say 'genocide couldn't happen in America' I really don't get it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

pretty sure indiana jones punched a few

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

i've never tried empathizing with a corpse, how do you do that is it like attempting suicide

You should try both

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They get their statistics from the FBI, so if you want to play that game you're welcome to look at comparative numbers from the FBI here yourself (you can chillax and smoke a fattie while you pretend nothing's wrong everything is fine)

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2013/topic-pages/incidents-and-offenses/incidentsandoffenses_final
https://ucr.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2014/topic-pages/incidentsandoffenses_final
https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2015/topic-pages/incidentsandoffenses_final

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i might take a break from the thread since it's getting late, don't know about the reading part though :shrug:

Spencer has written about 500 essays and articles on white pride and ethnic cleansing that should make good bedtime reading, pleasant dreams friend!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

They get their statistics from the FBI, so if you want to play that game you're welcome to look at comparative numbers from the FBI here yourself (you can chillax and smoke a fattie while you pretend nothing's wrong everything is fine)

https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2013/topic-pages/incidents-and-offenses/incidentsandoffenses_final
https://ucr.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2014/topic-pages/incidentsandoffenses_final
https://ucr.fbi.gov/hate-crime/2015/topic-pages/incidentsandoffenses_final

the numbers have been bouncing up and down a bit from the looks of things, down in 2014 then up in 2015, number of hate groups during that same period follows a similar trend, though i find myself more curious as to why the dip in 2014 took place

i mean though at least the hate group curve looks like it's been trending downward since the initial wave of gently caress obama? :confused:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Guess what happened in 2103. Go on.

e: I have a very specific event in mind that pertains to this and I'll spell it out if you want but really take a swing at it. :smuggo:

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
the president of the united states is a nazi who was elected by nazis, your racist group membership card says "Republican" on it now, you don't have to join out of power groups anymore.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

the president of the united states is a nazi who was elected by nazis, your racist group membership card says "Republican" on it now, you don't have to join out of power groups anymore.

whoa dude, half the nation isn't nazis or if they are that's a lot of punching to get started on

Flesh Forge posted:

Guess what happened in 2103. Go on.

e: I have a very specific event in mind that pertains to this and I'll spell it out if you want but really take a swing at it. :smuggo:

idk it's late and i'm tired, was it walter white dying

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
https://twitter.com/RichardBSpencer/status/825922972896538626

BETTER NOT PUNCH THIS GUY OKAY

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In 2013 Richard Spencer et al. re-engineered all of their more overt "seriously, let's kill the black people" content into their new, hip, swag, dope, totally epic message format and tone that is those totally lovable, fun, hilarious guys popularly known as the Alt Right, and oops they may have hit the correct combination because they are very obviously gaining traction. This change in their message tone and packaging was not accidental and was not something they did on a whim. This is when, don't laugh, the Pepe poo poo got rolling.

“We have to look good,” he told Salon.com writer Lauren Fox, because no one is going to want to join a movement that is “crazed or ugly or vicious or just stupid.”

e:

quote:

Real diversity and tolerance apparently only go so far, however. In an address at white supremacist Jared Taylor’s 2013 American Renaissance conference, Spencer called for “peaceful ethnic cleansing.” As an example of how this could be accomplished, he cited the 1919 Paris Peace Conference, where new national boundaries were formed at the end of World War I. “Today, in the public imagination, ‘ethnic cleansing’ has been associated with civil war and mass murder (understandably so),” Spencer said. “But this need not be the case. 1919 is a real example of successful ethnic redistribution—done by fiat, we should remember, but done peacefully.”

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
drat, so the hate movements re-branded themselves so convincingly that they disguised like 10-15% of their hate groups and hate crimes as non-hateful, that's one hell of a job

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The Number of Hate Groups stat does a fuckin 90 degree turn dude, keep chillaxin tho :shrug:

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

whoa dude, half the nation isn't nazis or if they are that's a lot of punching to get started on

one sentence one fallacy ratio going on there. Obviously not every idiot who voted for trump, or frankly, didn't do the loving right thing and vote against trump, is a nazi. But the offices of campaigns are always staffed by the most zealous, and trumps campaign did indeed employ white power fucks as well as benefit directly from that massive growth in hate group identification during the obama admin. He is not a republican from 10 years ago or even loving 4. People are trying to describe the world to you here and you shrug. Just go to bed, dream that there are nazis reading this very thread, delighted that his prey is divided on whether he is a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

drat, so the hate movements re-branded themselves so convincingly that they disguised like 10-15% of their hate groups and hate crimes as non-hateful, that's one hell of a job

you desperately need a punching

• Locked thread