Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
what even is a resident game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Well all of them except for 7 and Outbreak are about people with combat experience/training fighting a variety of steadily more gross viral monstrosities and mutants while solving weird puzzles built by crazy people

7 is about a dude with no combat experience killing the same few monsters over and over again because they all regenerate after awhile and every fight is either a few Molded, a scripted boss thing that feels like the game jacking off at you(WAIT SIX HAD A LOT OF THIS, THAT'S A SIMILARITY), or a 'shoot the glowy thing, dodge the attack' cycle, and solving crazy puzzles while making the occasional snappy comment, before all the game's plot gets dumped on him in the last hour.

I'm not saying it's a bad game but I don't like the plot, I feel like it's too short, and I feel like all the resident evil stuff is shoehorned in. I'd still say it felt different if that stuff wasn't there, but when the game goes LOOK THE UMBRELLA LOGO it feels like they're trying to remind you it's an RE game.

I feel bad complaining about it, it's the absolute BEST unity horror spooky house game but the combat is bad and there's not enough monster or weapon variety. And RE has always focused on combat more than other horror series so I think it should have good combat, as opposed to serviceable combat, ESPECIALLY following RE6, which had loving brilliant combat controls in an awful bad game nobody should pay more than ten bucks for.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

When people say 7 goes back to the series roots, they mean Resident Evil 1 or REmake which was more stingy with ammo than later entries and running away was often a better option than fighting and even when you were fighting you had a few seconds delay in aiming your weapon and the original version of the game didn't even have auto aim. REmake also punished you for being ammo happy by introducing Crimson Heads too so you had to get lucky with headshots or have enough oil to burn bodies (or use flame rounds in the grenade launcher as Jill if you suck). Likewise, Resident Evil 1 was all about solving weird crazy puzzles to unlock items that let you progress to new areas. These are all qualities 7 shares with 1.

It was only Resident Evil 2 onwards which dialled up the action and gave you enough ammo to comfortably kill everything you see and the delay when aiming your weapon was mostly gone too. The puzzles this time around for the most part, were the fetch quest items where you had to find x to use on y to progress, rather than having to solve a puzzle to get those items like in 1. Games like Resident Evil 4 merely changed the camera angle from this formula so the emphasis is more on enemy interaction through setting up openings on enemy patterns and exploiting weaknesses and puzzles were mostly an afterthought with the focus all being on the action.

I'm not going to comment on the plot, mostly because Resident Evil fans tend to not know what the hell they want from it. I've seen complaints that RE7's story isn't RE enough, which is more or less what your opinion is and I've also seen complaints that RE7's story is too RE to the point it undermines the game because they wanted a slower, more psychological thriller experience. It's not like the plot in any RE game was good anyway, they've always been poo poo so personally, RE7's plot sits on the upper spectrum of RE plots. Still not good, but better than 5. Or 6. Or something like, I dunno, Dead Aim.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dead Aim's plot was fantastic. :colbert:

Absolutely the stupidest possible thing, as is proper for RE.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Re7 was pretty good, my only real problem with it was it felt like the last third of the game was bolted on from a completely different game, and felt very FEAR-like to me. Normally I wouldn't have cared because its common for the end of games to poo poo the bed but thats also about the time that they felt like dumping all the plot on you.

I mean it was still fun and one of the better Resident Evils so I think it balances out.

I just wish they would've used the vhs tapes gimmick more, I was a little disappointed that there are only like 4 of them in the game and one of them is mandatory.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
4 had the best plot because I got chased by a giant robot statue of Spanish midget-Napoleon. Also terrible, terrible one liners and comebacks.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if the infection causing hallucinations was a later idea because it is criminally underused. They could have had way more weird poo poo happening and faked people out as to whether this was about a biohazard or if there actually were ghosts. Instead it basically tells you that the infection causes hallucinations and then they start happening in the last quarter of he game in a really underwhelming manner. They get used as a combat hazard rather than a mind gently caress. Terrible.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kokoro Wish posted:

4 had the best plot because I got chased by a giant robot statue of Spanish midget-Napoleon. Also terrible, terrible one liners and comebacks.

Leon did manage one legit comeback, though.

The time he didn't bother trying to banter and just knifed the midget.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
RE7 has a boss fight where near the end the enemy backs off a little, gives you a half whiny "gently caress youuuuu" and resumes his pattern that's loving hilarious too.

Incidentally I thought the voice acting was remarkable.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
There really needed to be a lot more Jack, he feels so wasted. Should have had him be be weird and creepy at the beginning in a playful manner like he's hazing Ethan, getting jealous of the new father figure a bit slower instead of in one cutscene pretty much, and then throw in a revenge thing after you kill Marg. Not sure how that'd work with the whole Mind Control thing but just more Jack please

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I liked the plot in revelations because it did what it needed to do and had enough dumb and silly twists to it to keep it interesting.

In RE7, in regards to the happy birthday tape and the lucas area, does anything happen if you solve the happy birthday tape puzzle without uncorking the oil so that clancy doesn't get burned alive? Also, I thought the demo's true ending said that Clancy escaped, so what, did he go back and get abducted by Lucas then hence why he had the "L" next to his name on the list of people? And what happens if you put in the correct code when Lucas starts telling you codes to put in, are you able to skip the barn fight then?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

You can't finish the Happy Birthday tape without uncorking the barrel, since you need to use the winding key to get the password for the room with the valve, if you try to brute force it, it just tells you that you dont know the password.

I want to say that the codes lucas tells you are scripted so that the last code you try is the one that opens the door.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I feel like RE7 is basically an outbreak sequel, all about solving puzzles while dodging the one big boss until the last round.

Btw the outbreak games are good. Rip.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked the plot in revelations because it did what it needed to do and had enough dumb and silly twists to it to keep it interesting.

In RE7, in regards to the happy birthday tape and the lucas area, does anything happen if you solve the happy birthday tape puzzle without uncorking the oil so that clancy doesn't get burned alive? Also, I thought the demo's true ending said that Clancy escaped, so what, did he go back and get abducted by Lucas then hence why he had the "L" next to his name on the list of people? And what happens if you put in the correct code when Lucas starts telling you codes to put in, are you able to skip the barn fight then?

I don't think its possible to solve Happy Birthday without uncorking the thing; if you try to solve the door code (even knowing what it is, as a player) Clancy says "It'd be hard to crack without a code" and refuses to interact with it.

Only reason Ethan gets away with it is because he, ostensibly, watched the tape and learned from the mistakes.

e: Also you aren't playing as Clancy in the demo, you're playing some unknown dude. He does escape but eats jail time for LSD in his pocket iirc (which is why the spooky poo poo in the demo isn't in the main game; i.e. dead cows in the hallways, blair witch dolls hanging from the ceiling in that one room, way too many mannequins, etc.)

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
It doesn't actually let you guess at any of the puzzles so you have to gently caress Clancy over to interact with the code locks. That's why Ethan lives, he can skip the winding key.

When I say it's not an RE plot I mean it's too small scale and simple. RE plot is at its best when it's just crazy bullshit, leeches and murderous transgender people and virus clouds. Texas Chainsaw Massacre But A Little Corporate Intrigue just doesn't feel punchy enough.

Maybe that's it? The whole thing felt weirdly low key. Maybe making it so Ethan can lazily stroll the whole game and forgetting the run button wonked the game flow?

And also outbreak was deffo very good.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

In the demo you only play as Clancy in the tape. In the main game of the demo you're playing as an unnamed separate protagonist.

In RE7 proper, Clancy can't survive the puzzle room because he has to actually learn the password to get the crank (Game won't let you interact with the lock otherwise), and to do that you have to empty the barrel of oil to get the thing to turn the clown automaton on.

e;fb

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ah, ok, thank you! I thought the demo had you playing as Clancy for some reason.

Though in regards to the door code, I meant that after you complete the barn fight, you find a code to use on that door to get you into the escape the room section that Clancy burned up in. I'm just wondering if it's possible to get into that room early.

I should probably make it clear I'm not playing RE7 myself, I've been watching harshlycritical play through it because I don't do well with horror of any degree, at all.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm just gonna quote CJacobs from the RE7 thread about that.

CJacobs posted:

Here's something interesting I noticed during the streams I did: Lucas' door code is always the same, and it always changes to the same thing if you try to cheap it out. Initially it's 1408, but if you enter in 1408 before you go find it, the code then changes retroactively to be 1146 instead. If you then enter in 1146, it changes again to 7000. This has remained the exact same over the past 3 playthroughs I've done. I haven't tried entering in 1408, 1146, then 7000 to see what it changes to next yet. I wonder how many times it will change!

edit: Oh, 7000 is probably the last change because it only lets you try entering the password twice and then Ethan just repeats the "I gotta find a password" line. Lame!

RE7 is pretty tightly designed against sequence breaking.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah, ok, thank you! I thought the demo had you playing as Clancy for some reason.

Though in regards to the door code, I meant that after you complete the barn fight, you find a code to use on that door to get you into the escape the room section that Clancy burned up in. I'm just wondering if it's possible to get into that room early.

I should probably make it clear I'm not playing RE7 myself, I've been watching harshlycritical play through it because I don't do well with horror of any degree, at all.

I've seen your posts in the Steam thread. You're not fooling me Kite!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

I'm just gonna quote CJacobs from the RE7 thread about that.

RE7 is pretty tightly designed against sequence breaking.

That's simultaneously kinda disappointing but also neat and understandable, though I'm a sucker for when games let you sequence break like that and comment on it so too bad RE7 didn't go that route. No big deal though.

exploded mummy posted:

I've seen your posts in the Steam thread. You're not fooling me Kite!

??????????

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

My most consistent complaint about RE7 is that everyone looks like they're made out of putty or something, everyone's really weirdly doughy looking.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yardbomb posted:

My most consistent complaint about RE7 is that everyone looks like they're made out of putty or something, everyone's really weirdly doughy looking.

It's set in the deep south so..

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Jukebox Hero posted:

Crucify me if you like, here's my personal gripes, anybody who likes it please continue to enjoy it.

Don't post like this

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I'm just waiting for time travel to be a plot point now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

That's simultaneously kinda disappointing but also neat and understandable, though I'm a sucker for when games let you sequence break like that and comment on it so too bad RE7 didn't go that route. No big deal though.

??????????

I thought you said horrific games

my bad

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

It's set in the deep south so..

Hey now :colbert:

I think we're just at the real Uncanny Valley point. Hopefully it's just a hurdle that'll only last a few years.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think it's more that the game has to make graphical sacrifices for VR. I can't explain it in technical terms but there's just "a look" to VR games like the geometry is blocky and it has sharply contrasting lighting to make the characters and environments pop more. And you're right, everything looks moist and sweaty which I kind of like. It reminds me of 70s and 80s horror movies where every actor looks like they ran a marathon before filming their scene.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Considering that the game takes place in Louisiana, they probably were covered in a shiny film of sweat before the monsters even showed up.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I thought everybody looked fine, until they either spoke or moved their head if they had long hair, at which point it looked like somebody really overanimated everything.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
We need outlast in VR very badly

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I really hope Outlast 2 knocks it out of the park; They've got a lot of good ideas when they don't go for just mutilation.

And hopefully less penile focus, that got weird.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The demo was decent and I was pretty eh on the original.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Re7 question:is it his own hand they staple back on Ethan ? The codex is a pretty prominent feature in the part with mia and her colleague so you'd be tempted to look for a link

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm only an hour into RE7, but I like how tight it is so far. Capcom put a ton of effort into scripted moments that change depending on what you do and where you go during encounters, so the same segments play out differently each time but still feel like a cinematic whole.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Jukebox Hero posted:

I really hope Outlast 2 knocks it out of the park; They've got a lot of good ideas when they don't go for just mutilation.

And hopefully less penile focus, that got weird.

The demo ended with a dude getting his junk pick-axed off so I wouldn't put your hopes too high.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm only an hour into RE7, but I like how tight it is so far. Capcom put a ton of effort into scripted moments that change depending on what you do and where you go during encounters, so the same segments play out differently each time but still feel like a cinematic whole.
I've really come around on it; was put off at first by how bad and rudimentary the stealth was, but now it appears that you barely need to do any stealth at all, so I'm back on board. :flame:

woodenchicken fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 31, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah there's only like two spots in the entire game where the stealth option is really a thing. Most of the time you're better off despawning enemies by running into a save room if you need to get away from them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Yeah there's only like two spots in the entire game where the stealth option is really a thing. Most of the time you're better off despawning enemies by running into a save room if you need to get away from them.

Does that actually work on the Molded? It would have helped in a segment where I was very low on ammo and in poor health before a boss fight and didn't really want to waste it on two generic enemies.

I did discover, to my horror, that Jack does not despawn when you run into a save room with him right behind you. He won't go in, but he'll be waiting for you to open the door...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Moulded are as dumb as zombies in RE1, you can lose them by going into any room and shutting the door, as long as they're not inside obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm at the ending sequence in RE7 and yeah this feels like it was from a different game. It's not the worst but not nearly as good as what lead up to it.

And yeah some parts of the game are simplistic but overall I really like what they've done with RE7. It's a restart to the series without being a reboot and I can't wait to see how they build off it in the future. RE6 was such a shitshow that I think this is just what the series and the company needed.

Two weird niggles though:
1) Ethan deserves the Trooper of the Year award because loving nothing phases him. It's both weird and kinda funny.
2) Really? They had to just make an Alma?? Stop doing that!