Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Data Recovery missions are a pain and here are a few things to know about them for those that don't have this game:
  • first off assault dropships, as seen in the video, are useful because they can be used as an added opportunity to stop a ship from Warping out (though they do have travel time) but cannot* capture the Data
  • the ship carrying the Data will drop it in a black box if it is destroyed which can be picked up by another ship moving near it
  • as also seen in the video with the AI wasting a special move on going Silent Running, the ship carrying the objective is always revealed** to the enemy
  • a boarding action doesn't need to roll successfully to steal the Data

*This wasn't always the case early on when any skill that rolled a boarding chance could steal the Data. It was quickly changed when people started using insanely cheesy tactics like hiding a ship in a nebula waiting for the Warp Jump to be off cooldown and then using a special boarding attack to steal the Data from the other side of the map and through shields, allowing it to jump out without any chance for the enemy to recover it

**This also wasn't the case, but unlike the previous example it allowed some pretty fun mind games using feints, decoys and specialized stealth Light Cruisers builds so I was sad to have it seen go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Don't know if Necrons are in this game or not, but someone in another thread noticed something very interesting in the game's intro:

The crone ain't kidding about consorting with powers far greater than Abby...

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cythereal posted:

Don't know if Necrons are in this game or not, but someone in another thread noticed something very interesting in the game's intro:

That'd be me, in this thread. :v:

my dad posted:

Second, a neat little detail: 40k nerds, look at the crone's shadow to the left at 2:23. Recognizing someone?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Poor Bright is having Char flashbacks right now.

Eye's da Red Komet, 'umie!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

RickVoid posted:

Eye's da Red Komet, 'umie!

One the one hand,the Orkz would probably appreciate his fondness for the color red.On the other,they'd probably find him to be a poncy git. They'd probably fall in love with Dozle,though-he's basically an Ork in a human body:

Yes, that IS a fuckoff huge axe his Zaku is holding, your eyes do not deceive you.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

One the one hand,the Orkz would probably appreciate his fondness for the color red.On the other,they'd probably find him to be a poncy git. They'd probably fall in love with Dozle,though-he's basically an Ork in a human body:

Yes, that IS a fuckoff huge axe his Zaku is holding, your eyes do not deceive you.

Dropping a space station on the planet you are attacking is also a very Orky tactic.

They'd ride it to the ground of course, but that's neither here not there.

Edit: A direct link to a better scaling version of the big-rear end ship picture. Kind of disappointed they don't have the Nostalgia For Infinity on there, as you could probably hide it in the middle of the 40K ships and no one would notice, but I'm also not surprised.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 30, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

my dad posted:

That'd be me, in this thread. :v:

I posted that in the original thread in Games :smugbert:

(after stealing it from 4chan :shobon: )

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Regarding Orks being able to use Lightning Strike, maybe they just have the resident Weirdboy catapult a bunch of boyz through the Warp into the enemy ship? Would explain the low success chance, at least :v:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Orks are actually explicitly stated to be better at teleportation technology than most other races- it's evidently programmed into their Mekboys, despite how shoddy their technology is in general.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ork_Tellyportas

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

nweismuller posted:

Orks are actually explicitly stated to be better at teleportation technology than most other races- it's evidently programmed into their Mekboys, despite how shoddy their technology is in general.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ork_Tellyportas

Maybe it's because my fingers are in my ears, but I dunno, that just sounds like Orkz are just too resilient to be torn apart by their own cobbled together teleporters to me.

I love dumb Orky poo poo more than the next guy, but "better teleporter tech than more advanced races" is even worse than "no one's seen a purple Ork" on the scale of bullshit Ork magic

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nweismuller posted:

Part of it is that the technology is in their genes, part of it is that they're not overly fussed whether they arrive or not so more compact designs are possible.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

The Door Frame posted:

Maybe it's because my fingers are in my ears, but I dunno, that just sounds like Orkz are just too resilient to be torn apart by their own cobbled together teleporters to me.

I love dumb Orky poo poo more than the next guy, but "better teleporter tech than more advanced races" is even worse than "no one's seen a purple Ork" on the scale of bullshit Ork magic

Oh, trust me, Ork space magic is all sorts of bullshit and it makes me roll my eyes. I'm just reporting that Orks having teleporters ubiquitously is intended and not an error.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Honestly, data retrieval isn't that big of a deal for me. It's just you have to basically send a pile of light cruisers in to help you out for speed. Catch them, board, turn and burn.

Depending on the fight, if you take a larger ship, you burn to many points on something that can't catch your opponent.

I am just TERRIBLE at convoy missions.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cythereal posted:

The crone ain't kidding about consorting with powers far greater than Abby...

Who is that?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Lone Badger posted:

Part of it is that the technology is in their genes, part of it is that they're not overly fussed whether they arrive or not so more compact designs are possible.

Orky tellyportas are not safer, or more reliable than the other races.

Orks are just more willing to risk half the people who go through their tellyporters dying.
And are immune to some of the other horrors that the Warp often inflicts on teleporting persons.

While the Eldar are probably comparable, they have a much higher risk of getting horribly possessed or eaten by things. So are less inclined to use their teleportation technology.

And Orks are still at the 'height' of science and development while the Edlar and Imperium are definitely in decline. So neither are really developing new teleporters.

Oh, and the thing is probably the Deciever. One of the Necron gods. Which maybe means that the crusade might not actually be in the best interests of Chaos.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 30, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Veloxyll posted:

And are immune to some of the other horrors that the Warp often inflicts on teleporting persons.

Which is to say that, while being hurled through the warp, Orks have a habit of snacking on things that have a habit of snacking on people who are being hurled through the warp.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Oh, and the thing is probably the Deciever. One of the Necron gods. Which maybe means that the crusade might not actually be in the best interests of Chaos.

Arguably most of the crusades have not been to the best intrest of chaos even if they like to pretend every one of them had been a massive victory.

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Well, the Ork Cruiser eating six torpedoes and going up was very... Poi.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Comstar posted:

Who is that?

The Necron C'Tan The Deceiver. Dude has a very distinctive head.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mephet'ran

He's also a massive dick. So sending Chaos towards the imperium fleet to get destroyed is pretty normal for him.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Iretep posted:

Arguably most of the crusades have not been to the best intrest of chaos even if they like to pretend every one of them had been a massive victory.

See the Fall of Cadia book for the true purpose of the Black Crusades being revealed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

The Necron C'Tan The Deceiver. Dude has a very distinctive head.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Mephet'ran

He's also a massive dick. So sending Chaos towards the imperium fleet to get destroyed is pretty normal for him.

IIRC, the Gothic War was also about Abby stealing or destroying the Blackstone Fortresses. The Blackstone Fortresses were made by the Eldar gods during the War in Heaven to kill the C'Tan, so it looks like the Deceiver is using Abby as a pawn to eliminate the Fortresses.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Unfortunately the big Necron retcon killed all the C'tan related plot threads. A shame, because Void Dragon on Mars, Deceiver doing Deceiver things and Outsider slowly waking up from his Dyson Sphere had the potential to be really cool. Certainly better than Space Tomb Kings.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I actually like the Space Tomb Kings, but I can't see why they had to destroy the stuff you mentioned as well, along with Pariahs.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I tell you, that Planetary Governor has excellent facial hair.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

does he have a monocle surgically implanted into his skull that can be lowered and raised as necessary

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Welcome to 40K.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

That's exactly how it works.

It's from old, Rogue Trader era backstory. Orks used forcefields more than any other races because their robust physiology allowed them to withstand the output when the forcefields are on.

And both human and Ork teleporters involve making a forcefield through a hole in the warp, making it safe to walk through. Humans (and other species like Eldar) can't stand it for long, but Orks just don't care.

(Ere We Go pages 96 and 104, for reference)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

my dad posted:

True Imperial Valhallan Tanna tea or bust. I thought a samovar would have better taste in tea. :colbert:

Hey, I'd normally recommend - for sheer indulgence - Yogi yogi chai, but you can't have THAT with a samovar.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I really appreciate how lovingly rendered his gross face is

I can imagine the initial line art coming back to the developers and them saying "can you add a couple zits here and here"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I also like that this Doctor Strange collar is taller than his head. Again, 40k.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DatonKallandor posted:

Unfortunately the big Necron retcon killed all the C'tan related plot threads. A shame, because Void Dragon on Mars, Deceiver doing Deceiver things and Outsider slowly waking up from his Dyson Sphere had the potential to be really cool. Certainly better than Space Tomb Kings.

The Void Dragon on Mars is still a thing in one novel written after the Newcrons. The Void Dragon wasn't broken into shards like the other C'Tan, and the Emperor's prison for it is failing...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

The Void Dragon on Mars is still a thing in one novel written after the Newcrons. The Void Dragon wasn't broken into shards like the other C'Tan, and the Emperor's prison for it is failing...

I eagerly await the Adeptus Mechanicus revealing that they were a Void Dragon cult all along.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloody Pom posted:

I eagerly await the Adeptus Mechanicus revealing that they were a Void Dragon cult all along.

You joke, but this is actually pretty close to the truth. The Emperor defeated the Void Dragon on Earth during the Middle Ages (he was Saint George), and brought it to Mars and imprisoned it. You see, the Void Dragon's knowledge of material science and technology is absolute, and it inspires mad dreams in those around it that reveal some of its knowledge. The Emperor brought the Void Dragon to Mars specifically to inspire what would one day become the Adeptus Mechanicus which in turn would serve his purposes.

Every ten thousand years or so, the Void Dragon attracts a new keeper and protector who inherit the book the Emperor left behind with instructions on how to keep the Void Dragon contained and safely inspiring the Mechanicus. A new keeper and guardian were drawn to the Dragon in M40, but found that the sacred book went missing during the last changing of the guard at the outbreak of the Horus Heresy...

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I never said I was joking. :black101:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cythereal posted:

You joke, but this is actually pretty close to the truth. The Emperor defeated the Void Dragon on Earth during the Middle Ages (he was Saint George), and brought it to Mars and imprisoned it. You see, the Void Dragon's knowledge of material science and technology is absolute, and it inspires mad dreams in those around it that reveal some of its knowledge. The Emperor brought the Void Dragon to Mars specifically to inspire what would one day become the Adeptus Mechanicus which in turn would serve his purposes.

Every ten thousand years or so, the Void Dragon attracts a new keeper and protector who inherit the book the Emperor left behind with instructions on how to keep the Void Dragon contained and safely inspiring the Mechanicus. A new keeper and guardian were drawn to the Dragon in M40, but found that the sacred book went missing during the last changing of the guard at the outbreak of the Horus Heresy...

well this seems to be a good case in point of why one always keeps a backup handy

White Coke
May 29, 2015

V. Illych L. posted:

well this seems to be a good case in point of why one always keeps a backup handy

The original was probably made out of some impossible to acquire material using an arcane process lost to man at the dawn of time. Why they didn't bother to xerox a copy is on them though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

This is the backup.
I mean, what are the odds that the Emperor would just up and disappear? Setting up the book/keeper system is already pretty farsighted by 40K standards.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

There was a short story (I think, it might have just been an epilogue) set after the priests of mars trilogy which suggests that there is a massive cult following either the Void Dragon or the series villain within the adeptus mechanicus and a huge civil war is about to erupt when the good guys come back from their expedition.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

koolkevz666 posted:

See the Fall of Cadia book for the true purpose of the Black Crusades being revealed.

So..err...what was it? I thought the point was to destroy Cadia to err..close the gate I guess? Seeing as the pylons on the planet was what was keeping the area clear of warp stones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Comstar posted:

So..err...what was it? I thought the point was to destroy Cadia to err..close the gate I guess? Seeing as the pylons on the planet was what was keeping the area clear of warp stones?

It always confuses me how Chaos themselves have to use the Cadian gate. Like. can they not use all their sorcerors and demons to make their own paths out?

• Locked thread