Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Dog is harumphing at the snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if we don't buy guns then volkerball will be forced to turn to a life of crime to fund his jagerdewster and german metal habits

for real. if us gunmakers have to go back to selling weed you liberals will never get anything done

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Volkerball posted:

for real. if us gunmakers have to go back to selling weed you liberals will never get anything done

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

stone cold posted:

fifty bucks is too stiff a price to ask for hot civ v tips

Yeah since we're on civ VI now

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

good, I'm glad

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
people should really be on their toes about this sort of poo poo imo. trump is going to be using the "fake news" angle a lot from the look of it, so don't give him ammo by spreading unsourced nonsense around.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but what can I the passive twitter user do about being given highly believable yet false information

edit: esp in that case where it's less about sources and more about a misinterpretation of what's already there

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chelb posted:

I mean, I get where you're coming from, but what can I the passive twitter user do about being given highly believable yet false information

edit: esp in that case where it's less about sources and more about a misinterpretation of what's already there

it is about sources, because "the resisterhood" presented something they weren't sure about as fact. so now you have to keep this incident in mind if you see a similar scenario playing out with that account. if you're not sure if something is true, search around and see who else is tweeting about it. search google news. if there's not other reliable sources making the claim, (and all you see is some unreliable sites posting the same tweet you saw), sit back and see if some others come out. don't go jumping the gun, especially if it's some huge bomb shell, because that just makes it all the more likely it's a crock of poo poo.

there's sort of a few different categories of twitter accounts, and two of them are "provides reliable, accurate information that supports what i think is right" and "provides content i agree with, but is quick to post fake reports and things that turn out to be inaccurate." don't get those two mixed up. there's no reason you can't listen to the latter group for opinions, if you value what they have to say on a subject. just keep in mind that they can get a little bit carried away at times and you can't take the factual aspect of everything they say for granted, just because you agree with their opinions.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 30, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
or you could just ignore twitter

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

its too late for me

run while you still can

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Muppets On PCP posted:

sure, if you like being uninformed.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

:laffo:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Volkerball posted:

:geno:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
you can just follow the official accounts for like 10 major reputable news outlets and still have a way better method of keeping updated on news than people who aren't on twitter.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
i really hate to say it but volkerball is right

consider how long it took the nyt to have anything at all to say about the protests because they didn't get a press conference announcing it ahead of time

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Volkerball posted:

you can just follow the official accounts for like 10 major reputable news outlets and still have a way better method of keeping updated on news than people who aren't on twitter.

Which is a problem already solved (quite a while ago) by RSS feeds.
Dont have to suffer twitters poo poo and their character limit.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

lol rss feeds

are ya'll like 60 years old or what

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which is a problem already solved (quite a while ago) by RSS feeds.
Dont have to suffer twitters poo poo and their character limit.

rss feeds are a medium of consumption, not a medium of publishing (after all you could get an rss feed of a bag of news media twitter accounts)

the problem is that news television and websites lag hours or days behind tweets

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well tweets are okay for instantly delivered before the press minutiae.
But then again the small char limit can distort the message and youd end up reading the actual report on it later when linked by the news outlet.

Tweets as they are, without a char limit upgrade and with its social media trappings, the chinese whisper trail of retweets and twitter conversations, are bullshit is what im saying.

Especially bullshit if theyre a persons sole news source.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 30, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Gah all of this is terrible.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chelb posted:

lol rss feeds

are ya'll like 60 years old or what

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My butt is toned and firm tho

If i clench ill probably disappear into a spontaneous black hole

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hey, it's the same idea every above-average-but-not-quite-smart highschool boy has!

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

pangstrom posted:

Hey, it's the same idea every above-average-but-not-quite-smart highschool boy has!

I think I saw that EO on a bumper stick on my way to work.

Eventually woukdnt we have non0 regulations?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
loving LOL

https://www.apnews.com/5baf2f60b1f7...r&utm_medium=AP

quote:

Police in central Ohio helped a teenage leukemia patient cross off a bucket-list item that was seriously shocking: She wanted to use a stun gun on someone.

Sixteen-year-old Alyssa Elkins got to do that Sunday. After a bit of training from Newark police, she zapped Sgt. Doug Bline — who'd been first among the police department employees who volunteered for the task — as a crowd of supporters watched. Bline winced and fell onto a mat, guided by spotters.

Alyssa described the experience as "awesome."

Hahaha she got to taze a cop and is now literally going to Disney World.

This is the coolest kid ever.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 30, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

vb, what is this fighter review thing, in more straightforward terms? you dont want them, or you dont know if you want them, or is it just some milspeak for busywork

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/826067943700193280

holy poo poo :eyepop:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cinci zoo sniper posted:

vb, what is this fighter review thing, in more straightforward terms? you dont want them, or you dont know if you want them, or is it just some milspeak for busywork

i'm not sure kal. i didn't give too many briefings to the press from the pentagon regarding the air force while i was enlisted in the army.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

i'm not sure kal. i didn't give too many briefings to the press from the pentagon regarding the air force while i was enlisted in the army.
that's a shame, i thought you were a good soldier

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that's a shame, i thought you were a good soldier

there's not a whole lot of clancychat milsperg forums posters in the army

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

there's not a whole lot of clancychat milsperg forums posters in the army
that's only because they find internet too difficult :colbert:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
*the tone of this Frontline piece about a Syrian refugee seems really off*
*jesus christ, Frontline, that isn't funny, who wrote this?*
*OH, it's "Hala", not "Haha"*

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pangstrom posted:

*the tone of this Frontline piece about a Syrian refugee seems really off*
*jesus christ, Frontline, that isn't funny, who wrote this?*
*OH, it's "Hala", not "Haha"*

hala jaber sucks

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Volkerball posted:

hala jaber sucks
This is a refugee named Hala, not the journalist (not that I know much about either)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

:drat:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

RODNEY THE RACEHOR posted:

i am holding onto my surprise sheep come hell or high water because something tells me in 4 or 5 years livestock will be our primary form of currency again

so my dream of a sheep farm is not so wild after all....

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

good news, a literal slavery ring got busted in southern latvia

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I didn't know there were literal slavery rings in latvia so it's actually kind of bad news okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pangstrom posted:

I didn't know there were literal slavery rings in latvia so it's actually kind of bad news okay!
thats a surprise, coming out of an american

• Locked thread