Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm 9 hours in and just opened the magic door. How am I doing, time-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
From what I'm reading now we've all actually been wrong about fisticuffs +dodge for the last, uh, decade? It only activates if you're 10+ levels over the enemies which means you shouldn't even care about the boost after accelerates and gear and just in general being over-leveled. So weird.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Decus posted:

From what I'm reading now we've all actually been wrong about fisticuffs +dodge for the last, uh, decade? It only activates if you're 10+ levels over the enemies which means you shouldn't even care about the boost after accelerates and gear and just in general being over-leveled. So weird.

Wait, what? Where did you find this? Sounds dubious.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Unmature posted:

I'm 9 hours in and just opened the magic door. How am I doing, time-wise?

Still in the Tutorial tier part of the game.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good
Is this the thread where I can ask if DQ Builders is worth my time?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Is there any way to get the Godbird in DQVIII to slow down or stop moving? I keep overshooting whatever I'm trying to land on, and have to make huge looping turns to come back around and take another try.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Is this the thread where I can ask if DQ Builders is worth my time?

It's fun, first game I got a platinum for.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Is it worth using the second Sun Crown to make another Timbrel? It has become very apparent that immunity to confusion is incredibly valuable in the boss rush area and I don't know if I can get any more Skull Helms.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
In the PS2 version I would have said yes, definitely, without a doubt it is worth it. The 3ds version has Morrie though who can be a mini timbrel so its probably more down to your preference.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I barely beat Dhoulmagus 2 and decided I was under leveled, so I tried out the dragon graveyard and went from 28-29 to 40-41 in like half an hour :stare:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Where the dragon graveyard at? i just went up about five levels (from 20 to 25) just fighting nothing but metal slimes outside of the Hunting Grounds by abusing the despawn camera to get them to appear.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So what are some good skill combos to focus on at the start of the game? I've never played this game before. So far I've done:

Hero: Swords, courage, using boomerangs on occasion without dumping points into it. I know people say spears are very useful against bosses, but I would rather focus on swords personally.

Yangus: Axes, humanity.

Jessica: Staves, sex appeal.

Sound good? Should I go for one at a time or split up the points?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hakkesshu posted:

So what are some good skill combos to focus on at the start of the game? I've never played this game before. So far I've done:

Hero: Swords, courage, using boomerangs on occasion without dumping points into it. I know people say spears are very useful against bosses, but I would rather focus on swords personally.

Yangus: Axes, humanity.

Jessica: Staves, sex appeal.

Sound good? Should I go for one at a time or split up the points?

Here's what I do:
-Hero: 8 points in Courage for Zoom, rest in Spears until Thunder Thrust, then whatever. Spears are much better than swords until the end game.

-Yangus: 6 in Axes for Helm Splitter (nerfed in this version), 42 in Fisticuffs for Thin Air, rest in Axes until the second to last skill. Yangus' skills kind of get the shaft since you don't need whistle anymore and a lot of his supplemental skills aren't worth it. You can safely pass on Thin Air since his magic is so low, but I go that route anyway since he doesn't have many other great choices.

-Jessica: Whips until 23(?) for Twin Dragon Lash, then Staves up to 100, then whatever.

-Angelo: Bows and Staves, personally I think his entire bow tree is great, and swords aren't anything special on him. Charisma is kind of take it or leave it, if you like the status effect skills go for it but it's not really essential IMO.

Red and Morrie: don't know

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

When do you pick up Red? I already have Morrie and I was kinda expecting her to have shown back up by now.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Raitzeno posted:

When do you pick up Red? I already have Morrie and I was kinda expecting her to have shown back up by now.

After you beat Pirate area.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Morrie should go with claws, Red is aparenyly broken with knives (swords), though I'll probably give mine whips for variety anyway.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Rirse posted:

Where the dragon graveyard at? i just went up about five levels (from 20 to 25) just fighting nothing but metal slimes outside of the Hunting Grounds by abusing the despawn camera to get them to appear.

South of the mystic spring. Smack in the middle of the desert area on the southern peninsula of the main western continent. You get metal kings in there.

You can also farm liquids in the right ground floor room of trodain castle, I did that for a while

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The ultimate courage skill requires swords? Probably should have checked before I maxed it out.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

ROFL Octopus posted:

Wait, what? Where did you find this? Sounds dubious.

Can't find the link again but somebody tested it by making it so only the fisticuffs skill would contribute to evasion. No evasions occurred until after they were 10 levels higher than the enemy. Usually when you were using fisticuffs for post-game evasion you were also stacking agi and evasion gear, so it was easy to think it was contributing to that but it wasn't unless you were like level 65 for post-game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nihilarian posted:

The ultimate courage skill requires swords? Probably should have checked before I maxed it out.

No, that skill is "you can get it at max sword or max courage".

The ultimate Sword skill requires max Courage, though (Max both)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hyedum posted:

Is it worth using the second Sun Crown to make another Timbrel? It has become very apparent that immunity to confusion is incredibly valuable in the boss rush area and I don't know if I can get any more Skull Helms.

Make catholicon rings, timbrels are way too good to pass up

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Supremezero posted:

No, that skill is "you can get it at max sword or max courage".

The ultimate Sword skill requires max Courage, though (Max both)
I maxed Courage and got Gigaslash, which is only usable when I equip a sword instead of a spear

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
If you max both you get gigagash which is the ultimate sword skill

Oops?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The weirdest part is that it looks like it's one of those stats don't matter skills so I can just put the Stone Sword in his bag and call it good? But if you can get it without investing in swords and it doesn't care about weapons why lock it to swords in the first place? Lock Gigagash to swords, sure, but this just feels inconvenient, and for no reason.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nihilarian posted:

I maxed Courage and got Gigaslash, which is only usable when I equip a sword instead of a spear

The max Courage skill is Kazap. Gigaslash is, as I said, "max whichever and you get it".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emron posted:

South of the mystic spring. Smack in the middle of the desert area on the southern peninsula of the main western continent. You get metal kings in there.

You can also farm liquids in the right ground floor room of trodain castle, I did that for a while

Got a screenshot of the place?

Being overleveled is a guilty pleasure of mine in JRPGS and I would like to hang out there at some point :v:

Also is there any point to the Magic Shield spell Jessica has? When I fight wizards I like to use it but I *literally* cannot tell if it's doing anything to actually help and it's not like numbers are going up similar to Buff Spells.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Gigaslash/gash is pretty bad anyway so besides the wasted skill points to get it it's not a huge deal anyway, I think the only super skill that's ever been good in these games was Blade of Ultimate Power.

Edit:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Being overleveled is a guilty pleasure of mine in JRPGS and I would like to hang out there at some point :v:

Also is there any point to the Magic Shield spell Jessica has? When I fight wizards I like to use it but I *literally* cannot tell if it's doing anything to actually help and it's not like numbers are going up similar to Buff Spells.

According to the guides Magic Barrier very slightly reduces the damage spells do but reduces the chance of status spells landing by a very not inconsiderable amount.

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 31, 2017

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No, but I can describe it. Leave from baccarat. Sail south until you can land. You'll have to go south from there into the desert area. The graveyard was in the middle of that area.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Supremezero posted:

The max Courage skill is Kazap. Gigaslash is, as I said, "max whichever and you get it".
then maybe the game should mention Kazap on the little skill chart in the level-up screen instead of Gigaslash lol

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Kinda silly there's no skill respec item, even if they make it extremely limited (only one in the entire game) or needing incredibly rare alchemy items

Or is there a respec thing and I just don't know

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Should I stop after power throw with boomerangs? Is the hero's unique stuff worth it? Seems unexciting. Don't know where to use my points on him, might go down spears.

Also I managed to kill like 5 metal slimes in a row around the river heading to the hill of hope or whatever and now I feel like I should take some time to try to farm those dudes.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Go to super throw. Courage is the best skill line in the game so invest to at least 1/2 mp cost

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Maybe Im not far enough in but Im not really liking 8 as much as the 7 remake. Yangus is great and sos the king but Jessica and Angelo have like no personality compared to Maribel and Ruff and the overworld feels like its mostly featureless green hills. Also i miss the class costumes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Emron posted:

No, but I can describe it. Leave from baccarat. Sail south until you can land. You'll have to go south from there into the desert area. The graveyard was in the middle of that area.

Thanks, gonna head there after I deal with Dhoulmagus

Speaking of which I heard there's a way to recharge HP/MP right before his room but I'm not seeing how, what am I obviously overlooking? E: Found it. Not sure how I overlooked it.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 31, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

insanityv2 posted:

Maybe Im not far enough in but Im not really liking 8 as much as the 7 remake. Yangus is great and sos the king but Jessica and Angelo have like no personality compared to Maribel and Ruff and the overworld feels like its mostly featureless green hills. Also i miss the class costumes.

the drastic curtail in party talk was something i definitely felt when i played the original at release, it's a lot more transparently "here's a quick recap in case you took a break and need a reminder" there's still some flavor text in there, but not nearly as much

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
DQ7's party chat was good because of Maribel, mostly. DQ8 with more party chat would just make me think "shut the gently caress up, Angelo" more often or "thank you jessica, your input is totally valuable and not at all generic, you're such a great character" unless Trode actually followed you into every area and played off of Yangus more because that's the best DQ8 party chat ever gets. Morrie's new stuff is decent too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Decus posted:

DQ7's party chat was good because of Maribel, mostly. DQ8 with more party chat would just make me think "shut the gently caress up, Angelo" more often or "thank you jessica, your input is totally valuable and not at all generic, you're such a great character" unless Trode actually followed you into every area and played off of Yangus more because that's the best DQ8 party chat ever gets. Morrie's new stuff is decent too.

Do like when Trode will randomly appear in the party chat when he not suppose to be following, spooking Argus.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Jessica is super generic and other than having a shitload of MP doesn't seem great in combat either. Are spells supposed to be super weak or do they get better later? She always just spams accelerate and magic barrier against bosses and everyone else does the heavy lifting.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Jessica is supposed to be crowd control, status effects and buff/debuffs instead of raw killing power. Also she's your fastest so maybe set her up with all the reusable items.

Also, in regards to the party chat thing, I just assume the writers were all still tired from Dragon Quest VII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Rirse posted:

Do like when Trode will randomly appear in the party chat when he not suppose to be following, spooking Argus.

COR BLIMEY