Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's a cool truck.

good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Hey I can finally play in this thread.

'00 323 with 68k on the clock. Grabbed it from a dealer that had it as a trade in before they put money into it. 4500 out the door.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 23, 2017

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
On my off days, I'm responsible for shitbox fleet repair.

'95 Corolla 1.8 bought from a friend for $400. 176k miles, runs well but needs a new clutch soon. I'm 6'7" and it's actually kinda cozy, but I'll lose some height in the event of a crash.
'98 Grand Marquis in its natural habitat. Just hit 100k. The lovely plastic intake manifold finally gave out and vomited coolant everywhere. I couldn't afford the aluminum one Ford should have used from the get-go so it's about to get another overpriced lovely plastic one. Note the 2x2.
Not pictured: My girlfriend's '97 Lumina. It needs a new power steering pump. Working on this car is damaging to the soul.
Between the two of us, we have half a car at any given time.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Cleaning out some old harddrives, I found this. From my second day of ownership IIRC, which would make this 2004.

https://vid.me/vDsv

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Achtane posted:

On my off days, I'm responsible for shitbox fleet repair.

'95 Corolla 1.8 bought from a friend for $400. 176k miles, runs well but needs a new clutch soon. I'm 6'7" and it's actually kinda cozy, but I'll lose some height in the event of a crash.
'98 Grand Marquis in its natural habitat. Just hit 100k. The lovely plastic intake manifold finally gave out and vomited coolant everywhere. I couldn't afford the aluminum one Ford should have used from the get-go so it's about to get another overpriced lovely plastic one. Note the 2x2.
Not pictured: My girlfriend's '97 Lumina. It needs a new power steering pump. Working on this car is damaging to the soul.
Between the two of us, we have half a car at any given time.

P71s got a plastic intake with an aluminum coolant crossover. Not sure about fitment years, since some years may have had "Performance Improved" heads. I've not done any research about what fits what, but possibly an option.

edit: This seems to say that it'll fit, but it also seems to ignore the existence of PI vs non-PI. Maybe not an issue on non-Mustangs?
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/185

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 25, 2017

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Powershift posted:

That's a cool truck.

good job.

Thanks. It's an 02 2.7 4x4 5 speed. Some old timer had it and kept it up really well. Every single fluid had been replaced within the past 6 months and the frame was replaced.

It is replacing this old girl

After having the new to me truck for a couple weeks I'm surprised that I'm still torn between the two. I like driving the old truck better; it is basically a tractor that I can drive on the street while the taco feels kind of numb and whatever.

If I had the time I would patch up the Nissan mad max style. I already have some black diamond plate on hand and a riveter. :getin:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The frame has been replaced you say?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Frame replacement was offered on that generation of Tacoma due to frame rust issues. Toyota offered to buy the trucks back or replace the frames, many people chose the fix.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Darchangel posted:

P71s got a plastic intake with an aluminum coolant crossover. Not sure about fitment years, since some years may have had "Performance Improved" heads. I've not done any research about what fits what, but possibly an option.

edit: This seems to say that it'll fit, but it also seems to ignore the existence of PI vs non-PI. Maybe not an issue on non-Mustangs?
http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/185

Yeah, I looked around and ended up getting one with the aluminum crossover. My old intake cracked at the crossover and plumbing epoxy putty actually managed to seal it for a few months, haha. It later cracked at the heater hose and #4 spark plug well, though. I knew it would die eventually but was hoping it'd be in a time when I wasn't broke, but oh well.

Thanks for the article, I'll be sure to torque everything down correctly. It's about to go back on today. It's still ridiculous to me that the entire manifold isn't aluminum. The valve covers are plastic, too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Achtane posted:

It's still ridiculous to me that the entire manifold isn't aluminum. The valve covers are plastic, too.

Hardly any new cars have a metal manifold. Weight savings is huge there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Larrymer posted:

Also less "heat soak" effect.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

LSx manifolds have been plastic/composite for the past 20 years and I can't recall any issues with those, and LSs make way more power than those funky mod motors. :smug:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Look at what BMW did on their TT V8s

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

LSx manifolds have been plastic/composite for the past 20 years and I can't recall any issues with those, and LSs make way more power than those funky mod motors. :smug:

LSX engines also don't depend on the intake manifold for coolant flow / sealing. The steam tubes on the heads are separate, metal pieces.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Thats because gm know how to build a good v8, unline ferd. :smug:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The only good american engines are: i6 or v8 AND have pushrods.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I cracked two intake manifolds on my p71.

Also, enjoy waking up to a passenger footwell full of coolant once the heater core detonates. Or, rather, every time the heater core detonates.

Still miss that car.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

chrisgt posted:

the 6v53 would like a word with you.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BlackMK4 posted:

Look at what BMW did on their TT V8s

Tried finding a pic, looks like everything is covered in plastic. :v: The few good pics looked like they were plastic/composite too.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

cursedshitbox posted:

the 6v53 would like a word with you.

I guess we can make a detroit diesel exception, maybe the 4bt, too :)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

chrisgt posted:

The i6 in trailblazers is rediculously lovely.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

Most American i6 motors sucked after 95. Jeep excluded.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

I liked it, but it also doesn't have pushrods.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

It wasn't bad for what it was. a 270hp 6 cylinder in the days when the silverado had a 180hp V6 and a 270hp v8.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

It wasn't bad for what it was. a 270hp 6 cylinder in the days when the silverado had a 180hp V6 and a 270hp v8.

In a heavy truck like the Envoy/Traiblazer, though, it feels gutless.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

In a heavy truck like the Envoy/Traiblazer, though, it feels gutless.

In 2003, everything felt gutless.

It was as quick as everything else in that era. http://media.caranddriver.com/files...sherbunch-2.pdf

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Preoptopus posted:

Hey I can finally play in this thread.

'00 323 with 68k on the clock. Grabbed it from a dealer that had it as a trade in before they put money into it. 4500 out the door.

An E46 with 68k is cheaper than trying to buy an E30 with 168k.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Larrymer posted:

Tried finding a pic, looks like everything is covered in plastic. :v: The few good pics looked like they were plastic/composite too.

I was more referring to stuffing the turbos in the valley and having the intakes on the outside :v:

Shrapnig posted:

An E46 with 68k is cheaper than trying to buy an E30 with 168k.

That they are. The M54B30 is a great swap into them since they make more or less S52 power but are aluminum blocks.
Shouldn't have sold my E30.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Details please! You don't see too many 5 litre verts around.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

That they are. The M54B30 is a great swap into them since they make more or less S52 power but are aluminum blocks.
Shouldn't have sold my E30.

I DONATED my E30 after it started puking brake fluid.

My dash was totally perfect, no cracks. These days I might be able to get a grand just for that.

It was a car I spent $3k on and drove for three years so I can't really be that upset but I do kind of miss it.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

Details please! You don't see too many 5 litre verts around.

2017 GT convertible, 5L coyote V8, exterior is "magnetic", interior and lid black, no tape / stripes, automatic, 401A equipment group (Shaker pro audio, blind-spot detectors, heated / cooled seats), reverse cross-traffic sensor, Sync 3 with nav, 3.55 rear axle, 20" foundry wheels.

Added a full set of WeatherTech liners and a Dod LS470W dash cam hard wired in a mount clamped to the rear-view mirror post.

My Borla S-type cat-back exhaust just came from the UPS man today, hope to get it installed this weekend.

Still pondering if I want to add an integrated radar detector, they are pretty pricey, but I hate sticking stuff to my windshield :chloe:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
a pretty much mint 5spd 325es owned by an old school teacher (coolest teacher ever?) went for $1500 on craigslist yesterday, if you're swapping motors anyways and don't mind the bigger bumpers they're still cheap.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Just picked this up. 1985 Dodge d150. It's got a 318, a 4 speed, a dana 44 with positraction and 46k km on the odo (sat in a field for a looong time before someone rebuilt it). It needs brakes, tires and a muffler but it runs! Rust is creeping up on the passenger side rocker, hopefully I'll have time to get to that this year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cool find. Those old Dodges are getting harder to find.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Here is Bianca. I have burned a half a tank of fuel so far. This is a love affair that will last for a very long time :allears:

There is a cruise with the local BMW community next Saturday. I am going to try and make it and also take pics with a real camera rather than just iPhone pics.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Have to love an E92 M3. I know there is a lot of live for the E46 and earlier as well due to the Inline 6 engine but the understated look of the E92 is ageless.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BigPaddy posted:

Have to love an E92 M3. I know there is a lot of live for the E46 and earlier as well due to the Inline 6 engine but the understated look of the E92 is ageless.

And dat growl. :3:

Only thing better is the scream from an E60 M5.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Here is Bianca. I have burned a half a tank of fuel so far. This is a love affair that will last for a very long time :allears:

There is a cruise with the local BMW community next Saturday. I am going to try and make it and also take pics with a real camera rather than just iPhone pics.

Flippin gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

MrYenko posted:

Only thing better is the scream from an E60 M5.

That V10... do not tempt me Frodo!