Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Interesting new poll numbers. No prior Kanta Sofres poll to compare it to but suggests Hamon getting a big bounce to the point of viability if Melenchon supporters switch. Looks like Fillon might be hurting a bit from the scandal and this poll was taken before the further allegations came out?

Fillon, was around 25-28% at the start of the month and Hamon was at 8% in most post primary guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Baron Corbyn posted:

lmao if France ends up being the place where the tide turns against the rise of fascism.

These days my answer to any political prediction is "Sure, why not?"

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
France, seeing the Americans and Brits veer toward fascism, decide that being a fascist is decidedly un-French. Chauvinism will save us all.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
You joke, but I know a few French people who would gladly rebuke fascism just to avoid being identified in the Brit/US team.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I wasn't joking.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
If it turned into a Hamon vs Le Pen run-off France would stand a very good chance of having an actual left wing president. That would be amazing.

The left just needs to stop splintering its vote and coalescence around one candidate to beat Fillon and Macron. Some hope of that though I guess. Instead with Melenchon splitting the vote it'll probably just end up as Fillon in power.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Can somebody make an alignment chart and place all these similar-sounding French politicians on it?

Putting Landerig in the center is optional.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Doctor Malaver posted:

Can somebody make an alignment chart and place all these similar-sounding French politicians on it?

Landerig is chaotic neutral. :rolleyes:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

mitterand should have blown up the Euro when he had the chance. also NATO

Doctor Malaver posted:

left to right

melenchon - hamon - valls/macron - (juppe) - fillon - le pen

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

icantfindaname posted:

mitterand should have not forced the the Euro on Germany when he had the chance.
ftfy

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

IMO there is literally zero chance that Mélenchon rallies behind Hamon, simply because Mélenchon's whole shtick is not "I have the prople behind me", but rather "The people are together behind an agreed-upon, democratically written programme". And since Hamon is not going to suddenly adopt La Franc Insoumise's programme, he can't lead the movement. And even if he did, there'd be huge issues of trust. He is, after all, a member of the PS.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Blut posted:

If it turned into a Hamon vs Le Pen run-off France would stand a very good chance of having an actual left wing president. That would be amazing.

The left just needs to stop splintering its vote and coalescence around one candidate to beat Fillon and Macron. Some hope of that though I guess. Instead with Melenchon splitting the vote it'll probably just end up as Fillon in power.

It's not Melenchon splitting the vote though, it's Macron. He's the one who'd be pulling the neoliberal social democrats away from their party.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/vmedick/status/826115769272512512

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

pollsters

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Well Germany could have just said no but clearly the German people elected terrible politicians so now they gotta deal with it.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

LeoMarr posted:

pollsters

People need to stop making GBS threads on polls because they and most of the commentariat are statistically illiterate.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

lmao if France ends up being the place where the tide turns against the rise of fascism.

wouldn’t be the first time

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

*collaborates*

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/31/francois-fillons-office-french-parliament-raided-investigators/

quote:

Investigators are carrying out a search in the lower house of the French parliament in connection with a probe into claims that presidential candidate Francois Fillon paid his wife half a million euros to "do nothing" in a fictitious job role.
The raid was not carried out in Mr Fillon's office, according to a Reuters reporter who was at the scene.
It comes after Mr Fillon and his British wife Penelope were questioned separately on Monday over allegations she was paid €500,000 (£426,000) for a job as his parliamentary assistant while in fact steering clear of his political activities.
The couple, who appeared on Sunday at a mass Paris rally to kick start his faltering presidential campaign, were questioned by financial fraud officers in Nanterre, west of Paris.
:unsmigghh:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

It'd.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Also, Trump's probable ambassador to the EU wants to bring it down, and his top trade adviser is claiming that Germany uses the Euro to artificially depress its currency: https://www.ft.com/content/57f104d2-e742-11e6-893c-082c54a7f539

quote:

Germany is using a “grossly undervalued” euro to “exploit” the US and its EU partners, Donald Trump’s top trade adviser has said in comments that are likely to trigger alarm in Europe’s largest economy.
Peter Navarro, the head of Mr Trump’s new National Trade Council, told the Financial Times the euro was like an “implicit Deutsche Mark” whose low valuation gave Germany an advantage over its main trading partners. His views suggest the new administration is focusing on currency as part of its hard-charging approach on trade ties.
In a departure from past US policy, Mr Navarro also called Germany one of the main hurdles to an American trade deal with the EU and declared talks with the bloc over a US-EU agreement, known as the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, dead.
The Trump administration has publicly declared it prefers bilateral trade deals rather than the broad multilateral accords pursued by Barack Obama, Mr Trump’s predecessor.
“A big obstacle to viewing TTIP as a bilateral deal is Germany, which continues to exploit other countries in the EU as well as the US with an ‘implicit Deutsche Mark’ that is grossly undervalued,” Mr Navarro said. “The German structural imbalance in trade with the rest of the EU and the US underscores the economic heterogeneity [diversity] within the EU — ergo, this is a multilateral deal in bilateral dress.”
Germany’s large trade surplus with the US and much of the eurozone has been a point of friction in Brussels and Washington for several years, with both capitals calling for Berlin to increase stimulate domestic demand to rebalance its economy.
Critics have argued Berlin has disproportionally benefited from weakness in the rest of the eurozone, which has held the euro lower than other regional currencies, like the Swiss Franc, making German exports cheaper in overseas markets like China and the US.
Despite those differences, most debate over German economic policy during the Obama administration was cloaked in diplomatic language; Mr Navarro’s comments highlight a growing willingness by the Trump administration to antagonise EU leaders and particularly Angela Merkel, the German chancellor.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

LemonDrizzle posted:

and his top trade adviser is claiming that Germany uses the Euro to artificially depress its currency:

Broken clock etc.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, Trump's probable ambassador to the EU wants to bring it down, and his top trade adviser is claiming that Germany uses the Euro to artificially depress its currency: https://www.ft.com/content/57f104d2-e742-11e6-893c-082c54a7f539

That's not a claim, that's an objective fact.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

LemonDrizzle posted:

Germany uses the Euro to artificially depress its currency: https://www.ft.com/content/57f104d2-e742-11e6-893c-082c54a7f539

I thought this was well known fact. :confused:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, I think the Russian government would be perfectly happy with Schultz as chancellor.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

throw to first drat IT posted:

I thought this was well known fact. :confused:

How exactly does Germany manipulate the Euro to be weaker?

oh right, they are the driving force behind the QE and negative interest rate policy enacted by the ECB.

Wait a second.

Maybe that's just alternative facts?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GaussianCopula posted:

How exactly does Germany manipulate the Euro to be weaker?

oh right, they are the driving force behind the QE and negative interest rate policy enacted by the ECB.

Wait a second.

Maybe that's just alternative facts?

Reading Mark Blyth's Austerity will answer all these questions for you! Cheers!

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Turns out Mme Fillon got another €400k+ of dodgy payments on top of the €500k already reported

https://twitter.com/canardenchaine/status/826458634154606593

gonna be very interesting if Fillon is forced to withdraw, especially since Juppé has said he wouldn't step in under such circumstances and Sarkozy's so unpopular

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 31, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LemonDrizzle posted:

Turns out Mme Fillon got another €400k+ of dodgy payments on top of the €500k already reported

https://twitter.com/canardenchaine/status/826458634154606593

gonna be very interesting if Fillon is forced to withdraw, especially since Juppé has said he wouldn't step in under such circumstances and Sarkozy's so unpopular

About the 84000 fot the kids

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Excellent news. Hopefully Sarkozy becomes their candidate of last resort and he bombs badly.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blut posted:

Excellent news. Hopefully Sarkozy becomes their candidate of last resort and he

goes to jail next because seriously why isn't he in jail already

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

goes to jail next because seriously why isn't he in jail already

Together with the Tapie and the Balkanys and all those fucko parasites who always escape punishment yes, one can dream

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wish Ireland had something as brave as Le Canard Enchaîné. The Phœnix takes gentle pokes at politicians but doesn't wreck things like this.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So when Fillon or Sarkozy runs La Pen will just utilize the recent flavor of "Jail sarkozy" or Crooked fillon" to raise a million man March agaims them.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No chance Sarkozy will come back

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
I wish they jailed all french politicians.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

throw to first drat IT posted:

I wish they jailed all french politicians.

You and me both.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

He will not, not just because he's a rat bastard, but because the French justice system doesn't work fast enough for a definitive decision to be made by the start of the campaign. He said he'd withdraw because that's what you do in those circumstances, but he knows he won't have to.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

ElNarez posted:

He will not, not just because he's a rat bastard, but because the French justice system doesn't work fast enough for a definitive decision to be made by the start of the campaign. He said he'd withdraw because that's what you do in those circumstances, but he knows he won't have to.

Maybe, but the case is building pretty fast so there's a chance that an indictment might actually come soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Is it just me or do all these candidates seem like they walked straight off the set of The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie?