Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

flakeloaf posted:

TVA's naming them, and one guy's facebook page is getting buried under some pretty vile chatter.

Alexandre Bissonnette and another individual, later identified as a witness.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/Snellk/status/826056657776078850

David Corbett posted:

Alexandre Bissonnette and some guy who's probably a witness.

Bissonnette is a Quebec-born person.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 30, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's very much possible to be both Moroccan and anti-Muslim btw just letting you guys know. But It's really strange though that it seems like alexandre bissonette seems to be some form of Right wing islamophobe so it's odd that he'd team up with a Moroccan to do this.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Christ this guy looks like I could snap him over my knee. Look at those tiny shoulders. (allegedly Bissonnette)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

David Corbett posted:

Alexandre Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151714744273552&set=a.10151397352138552.534585.525203551&type=3&theater

The plus francias sounding guy has a common name it looks like, how did you narrow it down exactly?

ed: I'm seeing all sorts of same name fb pages, I doubt that one is correct

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 30, 2017

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Unless he was a very recent convert, there's nothing on this Bissonnette's Facebook to suggest that he was a radical Muslim, as some have claimed.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
This is really strange.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

He likes Trudeau which means Trudeau is behind this.

some guy who is probably a witness

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 30, 2017

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151714744273552&set=a.10151397352138552.534585.525203551&type=3&theater

The plus francias sounding guy has a common name it looks like, how did you narrow it down exactly?

I didn't; TVA Nouvelles did.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So people are suggesting it's a muslim false flag operation? Jesus, crazy people are paranoid.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

OSI bean dip posted:

He likes Trudeau which means Trudeau is behind this.

lol You beat me to it. We're never going to hear the end of this.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Interestingly the police have not yet confirmed the names, so I'd be curious to know where TVA got that info

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cowofwar posted:

So people are suggesting it's a muslim false flag operation? Jesus, crazy people are paranoid.

There are "people" saying just about everything.

brucio posted:

Interestingly the police have not yet confirmed the names, so I'd be curious to know where TVA got that info

Let's say it's not him, imagine being this poor fucker falling out of bed as students do, grabbing his phone and seeing 3000 notifications

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If that's the case hopefully he doesn't kill himself like that poor kid Reddit tried to pin the Boston marathon bombing on.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

cowofwar posted:

No, not a false flag - a legitimate terrorist attack done by Muslims against other Muslims. Most of the victims of radical Islamic terrorism are other Muslims, after all.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EvilJoven posted:

If that's the case hopefully he doesn't kill himself like that poor kid Reddit tried to pin the Boston marathon bombing on.

#BellLetsTalk

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

brucio posted:

nm

https://twitter.com/PatriceRoyTJ/status/826086185235791872

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
https://twitter.com/duvalalex/status/826086014968008706

We might get to 11 dead :smith:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Christ this guy looks like I could snap him over my knee. Look at those tiny shoulders. (allegedly Bissonnette)

Fits the profile of a mass shooter, early 20s guy,weirdo,into nerdy hobbies (metal or anime), ugly, probably never been laid.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 30, 2017

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Count Roland posted:

I had the same thought. I checked out the mosque's website earlier, not that it had a huge SHIA label on it or anything.

I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio a member of the Mosque being interviewed. I forget the details but I think he was from a Sunni country. So, probably not a Shia mosque.

Its almost all speculation at this point. I'm very curious to see who these people are.

edit: and people, plural. If two people were indeed involved, then this isn't some random act of a madman, this was planned and carried out based on some shared ideas.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Mosques in Quebec are pretty much always non-sectarian, you might find branch specific places but they're rare (afaik, there's like 2-3 that are specifically sunni in Montreal which has a much larger muslim population than Quebec city). And it's not like most Quebec muslims are so religious that they go to prayer services regularly anyway.

Also afaict the main source for the Moroccan thing seems to be online speculation, which only reminds me of the mess that was the day after Dawson and the Metropolis, both of which turned out to be lone gunmen (some sites are still reporting a third shooter despite the insistence of the SPVQ that there were only two, e.g.).

Thanks, and yeah better wait for more info before speculating.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

ed: I'm seeing all sorts of same name fb pages, I doubt that one is correct

https://www.facebook.com/alexandre.bissonnette26

That's the one they pulled the image from

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This is tragic and senseless.

I am considering reaching out to the Islamic Centre here. I want everyone to know they are welcome in Canada.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

Manitoba premier says he's not a racist

WINNIPEG — Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister has told a Winnipeg newspaper that he used imprecise and possibly inflammatory language earlier this month when he told rural municipal politicians that tension surrounding night hunting is leading to a "race war."

Pallister was meeting with officials in Virden on Jan. 16 when he mentioned his concern about what he called indigenous people going out and shooting moose.

His comments were recorded by a radio reporter and were widely condemned by indigenous leaders and the Opposition.

In a Sunday night telephone interview with the Winnipeg Free Press, Pallister says he wishes he had used different language to broach the subject.

Pallister says he is not a racist and has advocated for indigenous rights in the past.

He says he supports the right of indigenous people to hunt at night in areas where they have a legal right to harvest wildlife.

"Quite frankly, it was an unfortunate choice (of words)," the newspaper quotes Pallister as saying.

"There are court-established, well-established indigenous hunting rights. Jurisprudence is very clear on this: indigenous people have the right to hunt on their land. They have the right to hunt on Crown land. They have the right to night hunt on private land with the permission of landowners."

Pallister said his real concern is hunters firing weapons from the back of trucks using high-powered lights in areas where hunting is not permitted, including on or near highways and farm properties.

"People are getting fearful and concerned. I'm hearing this from indigenous hunters and elders, too." the newspaper quotes Pallister. "Out in the country, where the night-shooting activity is happening, it's scaring people. It's a growing problem."

Pallister said that during his recent tour of western Manitoba, he heard many people raise the issue of night hunting, and related to him anecdotes about bullets striking farm buildings and inadvertently killing farm animals.

The premier noted that at least one man died in the last year in connection with night hunting.

He said he also heard some non-indigenous people talk about a possible "vigilante" response, which only re-enforced the importance of bringing the issue up for discussion when he met with municipal councillors in Virden.

Pallister appeared to double down on his comment last week in an article in Maclean's magazine. A Maclean's reporter made an unannounced visit to Pallister's Costa Rica vacation home. During her visit, the reporter quoted Pallister as saying that "young indigenous men — a preponderance of them are offenders, with criminal records — are going off shooting guns in the middle of the night. It doesn't make sense."

Pallister told the Free Press he didn't make the statement and he was shocked to see any direct quote in the article given that, during the reporter's brief visit to his vacation home, she did not appear to have a notepad or tape recorder.

Pallister said his office has contacted Maclean's to ask for notes or a recording to back up the quote.

"I'm obviously disappointed about the comments attributed to me because that's not me."

Shortly after the comments on night hunting went public Jan. 19, Pallister left for an 11-day visit to his tropical vacation property and was unable to respond directly to concerns about his comments.

He conceded it's possible the story could have been defused earlier had he been in Winnipeg, but said he is still committed to taking family time in Costa Rica, and that he can still perform all of the important duties of a premier while on vacation.

"I've been accessible every day I've been here," Pallister is quoted as saying. "I've got my family 10 per cent of the time and I've got the job the other 90 per cent of the time. I'm happy with that ratio, but I won't go lower than 10 per cent family time."

(Winnipeg Free Press)

Sorry, not sorry it seems

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hey check it out Bissonnette's fb page "Likes" the new President of the USA

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

And le pen.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Him and twenty million other people, though. Liking Donald Trump isn't probative. (Though the Le Pen bit might be more informative.)

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 30, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Bissonnette's account is suspended or not public anymore

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

gently caress, I actually had classes with Bissonnette 3-4 years ago. I can't remember anything like that ever happening here in the past 10-15 years and it's pretty loving awful. I don't really remember the guy but one of our anthropology professor goes to that mosque. Haven't seen the name of any of the victims and I hope he's ok.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

He also 'likes' a Laval Feminist organization, so I'd be careful drawing any conclusions on this one yet.

In all likelihood he's an alt-right atheist loon or a fascist and was just monitoring the feminist page, but the opposite is potentially true. Until we know more about his intent tying him to the right wing using this kind of evidence leaves you open to the counter.

Fake-edit: Haha who am I kidding, the alt-right will call this a false flag before they own it, and continue with their rhetoric.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Obviously people online are also going to focus on the shooter whose condemnation fits their politics better based on appearances (/pol and the alt-righters on reddit, meanwhile, are obsessing over the moroccan guy). Rather than actually wait.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Agnosticnixie posted:

Obviously people online are also going to focus on the shooter whose condemnation fits their politics better based on appearances (/pol and the alt-righters on reddit, meanwhile, are obsessing over the moroccan guy). Rather than actually wait.

Yep. People love their narratives, after all. The police's stubborn refusal to release information, however well-founded, certainly has done nothing to stymie the flow of speculation.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Given the expansion of police powers that followed the much smaller lone wolf attack a couple years ago it's going to be interesting to track what, if anything, the government does in response to this much more devastating attack by multiple assailants. Given who the victims are it wouldn't surprise me if instead of sweeping new criminal legislation we get a lot of vague calls for tolerance because "this is not who we are".

Edit - and here I thought that after a full day you could trust the reports of multiple shooters. But the lesson here is never trust initial reports kids.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 30, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Agnosticnixie posted:

Mosques in Quebec are pretty much always non-sectarian, you might find branch specific places but they're rare (afaik, there's like 2-3 that are specifically sunni in Montreal which has a much larger muslim population than Quebec city). And it's not like most Quebec muslims are so religious that they go to prayer services regularly anyway.

Also afaict the main source for the Moroccan thing seems to be online speculation, which only reminds me of the mess that was the day after Dawson and the Metropolis, both of which turned out to be lone gunmen (some sites are still reporting a third shooter despite the insistence of the SPVQ that there were only two, e.g.).

Thanks for this post, I was wondering about the sectarian/denominational angle as well. Guess we wont really know until we get more details from the police.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Welp, Radio-Can just announced that there's only one real suspect who's going to be charged.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Agnosticnixie posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a soldier.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Don't hate, it's fun to speculate.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

David Corbett posted:

Yep. People love their narratives, after all. The police's stubborn refusal to release information, however well-founded, certainly has done nothing to stymie the flow of speculation.

Names of suspects aren't released by police until charges are laid. In Quebec, charges are not laid until the suspects appear in court, which they haven't yet.

Media outlets are citing courthouse or police sources for the names.

Once charges are formally laid in superior court, the names will be released.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

SpacePope posted:

Welp, Radio-Can just announced that there's only one real suspect who's going to be charged.

That'd go a long way toward explaining what happened here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SpacePope posted:

I wonder if it's gonna be the dude that turned himself in with a car full of guns, or the other guy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Leofish posted:

Names of suspects aren't released by police until charges are laid. In Quebec, charges are not laid until the suspects appear in court, which they haven't yet.

Media outlets are citing courthouse or police sources for the names.

Once charges are formally laid in superior court, the names will be released.

NO gently caress YOU LET ME WILDLY SPECULATE *flails madly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

We take you now to a reporter in one of the subjects' hometowns to talk to the neighbour's parrot about the one time he saw the arrested man allegedly yell at a mailman.