Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

Well I've never had a credit card and I figure it's time to build my credit. I travel alot for work and will clear 4k easily. I travel primarily domestically and have expensed roughly 5k so far this year. I buy alot of airline tickets, but not one airline and I stay in alot of hotels but always what's easiest for me in relation to client location. I'd like to maximize my returns/rewards.

I also enjoy traveling for fun soooo idk....miles are nice

Do you have leeway to consolidate your travel to a single hotel chain/airline? Or at least most of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Waroduce posted:

Well I've never had a credit card and I figure it's time to build my credit. I travel alot for work and will clear 4k easily. I travel primarily domestically and have expensed roughly 5k so far this year. I buy alot of airline tickets, but not one airline and I stay in alot of hotels but always what's easiest for me in relation to client location. I'd like to maximize my returns/rewards.

I also enjoy traveling for fun soooo idk....miles are nice

A CSP is a good choice. The Chase Sapphire reserve would be even better, if you can get it.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Do you have leeway to consolidate your travel to a single hotel chain/airline? Or at least most of it?

If I wanted to yes. They don't care what I do as long as prices are same ballpark

E: I'm dumb what's is csp

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

If I wanted to yes. They don't care what I do as long as prices are same ballpark

CSP is Chase Sapphire Preferred. Chase's lower tier premium travel card. You can Google up some comparisons, but if you can swing it get the Reserve it's worth the $450 annual fee if you are traveling a lot. The Wirecutter has a travel card comparison article that is pretty good

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
I'm pretty chuffed with my own guile. I got a CSP just before tuition was due, figuring I might as well get a new credit card to reap the bonuses of a mandatory big spend. Looked at the Reserve card, decided it was a little rich with the annual fee... but then a few days later I gave Sallie Mae a call and asked about making payments on loans with a credit card. Not a problem, they said. So I got the CSR (in a building, so $1000 points bonus) and paid off a third of my 12k loan. I'm going to end up making a net profit on my student loan at this rate.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ma i married a tuna posted:

I'm pretty chuffed with my own guile. I got a CSP just before tuition was due, figuring I might as well get a new credit card to reap the bonuses of a mandatory big spend. Looked at the Reserve card, decided it was a little rich with the annual fee... but then a few days later I gave Sallie Mae a call and asked about making payments on loans with a credit card. Not a problem, they said. So I got the CSR (in a building, so $1000 points bonus) and paid off a third of my 12k loan. I'm going to end up making a net profit on my student loan at this rate.

Doesn't Sallie Mae/Navient add a surcharge if you pay with a credit card

edit: welp

https://www.navient.com/loan-customers/

quote:

Effective 1/1/17, federal student loan servicers such as Navient will no longer be able to accept credit card payments. We will continue to accept payments using your debit card over the phone.

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 30, 2017

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I think there was some change in the law such that you can't pay student loans with credit cards at all anymore.

Which kind of annoys me because I didn't know that I could even do that before. It was never an option online, but I guess I could have always done it by phone.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I got the CSP cause I'm not sure if I'd qualify for reserve. This is my first CC.

So yay business expenses wooooooo

Umm...any handy guide you guys recommend or best practices or tips? I really don't know what I'm doing or how to use rewards....

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I got the CSP cause I'm not sure if I'd qualify for reserve. This is my first CC.

So yay business expenses wooooooo

Umm...any handy guide you guys recommend or best practices or tips? I really don't know what I'm doing or how to use rewards....

Find an award flight or hotel that you want from a transfer partner and then transfer the points. It's pretty straightforward though trying to find awards can be difficult if your schedule isn't flexible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

Unless there's a marked difference in convenience it is probably worth your time to consolidate your travel to one airline (or one airline alliance) and one hotel megachain, and get that airline/hotel CC. Your travel will become more comfortable and you'll rack up worthwhile amounts of points much more quickly.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I think there was some change in the law such that you can't pay student loans with credit cards at all anymore.

Many moons ago you were able to buy treasury bonds with a credit card.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Trying to decide about the Chase Sapphire Reserve. I have two cards - old Discover and a Citi Double Cash that I use for almost everything. Neither has an annual fee. I hate the idea of an annual fee. But I love the idea of free money and we do some traveling throughout the year. $300 in travel credit is cool but that's still $150

Anyone know where I can find a realistic chart or whatever of what the 100k points can get me? (I'm under the impression this is still available if I sign up in a branch).

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

AndrewP posted:

Trying to decide about the Chase Sapphire Reserve. I have two cards - old Discover and a Citi Double Cash that I use for almost everything. Neither has an annual fee. I hate the idea of an annual fee. But I love the idea of free money and we do some traveling throughout the year. $300 in travel credit is cool but that's still $150

Anyone know where I can find a realistic chart or whatever of what the 100k points can get me? (I'm under the impression this is still available if I sign up in a branch).

100k points=5 nights at the Maui Hyatt, or similar class. That ends up at $478 or so a night for $2390 total. It also ends up waiving resort fees for Maui, dunno if that's standard everywhere that has resort fees or not.

E: If you're willing to deal with it, you can also do flights to Hawaii for 25k roundtrip in economy, or 45k roundtrip in first-class via Korean Air. This does require a few days of phone calls and points transfers though.

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 30, 2017

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
You can do Korean Air skypass bookings online now.

I just did it, 2 round trips to Hawaii from New York for 50k total points, booked easily online (although you have to do separate booking instances for companions unless you can prove they are family or married). They were around $800 in cash price at the time... so if you did that twice that's $3200 value.

Just booking anything (without messing around with transferring points and award flight availability) through the Chase portal will be a minimum value of $1500 (100k points, 1.5c per point redemption).

Just because you mentioned the Maui Hyatt, there is a Chase Hyatt card where the sign up is 2 free nights in ANY Hyatt with no restrictions, so that's a really good way to go if you're looking to book a few nights vacation somewhere amazing (any of the tier 7 Hyatts).

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Which kind of annoys me because I didn't know that I could even do that before. It was never an option online, but I guess I could have always done it by phone.
You can always use plastiq, if you're willing to swallow the fee.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

drat. That is legit. Looks like I'm getting this card.

Edit: lol okay nevermind, I don't seem to have a Chase branch anywhere even close to me. Not even in DC? Oh well.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 30, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Apparently Chase just doesn't do retail banking at all in DC, Virginia or Maryland at all. Who knew? I don't think you really need a branch for the card but I could be wrong.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The bonus for the Reserve is down to 50k if you apply online, but it is still 100k if you apply for it in a Chase branch until 3/12.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, not sure if I still feel like loving around with (and paying the fee) for half the points. I prefer cash back cards to points and my Citi is the best one I've seen, so I don't want to make a wholesale change.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

AndrewP posted:

Yeah, not sure if I still feel like loving around with (and paying the fee) for half the points. I prefer cash back cards to points and my Citi is the best one I've seen, so I don't want to make a wholesale change.

What's the cash-back profile you're working with?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

What's the cash-back profile you're working with?

2% everything, no limit. (And no fee)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Elysium posted:

Just because you mentioned the Maui Hyatt, there is a Chase Hyatt card where the sign up is 2 free nights in ANY Hyatt with no restrictions, so that's a really good way to go if you're looking to book a few nights vacation somewhere amazing (any of the tier 7 Hyatts).

If you like to ski, I can recommend the park hyatt beavercreek for those 2 nights (4 with a partner). The rooms aren't super amazing or anything (I was kinda like wtf people pay $800/night for this?), but its ridiculously nice to be literally right off the main lift. You step out of the hotel in the morning, a dude hands you your skis, and you step into the gondola. And beavercreek is pretty drat good skiing.

People try to book the Andaz Maui with those nights as well, but I guess its super restricted availability and they give you poo poo rooms.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I really need to get off my butt to get this Chase Reserve card. Are there blackout dates for all of these hotel reservations? Would Italy in the summer work?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I have had the Citi Dividend World Elite MasterCard for 14 years (it was my first credit card).

In the last 3 years or so, I've started opening cards that actually give me good return, and this thing just sort of sits there. I do the "make a $10 charge and autopay" thing, but it kinda bothers my OCD that the card is even still open.

How much of a negative hit on my credit can I expect to get by closing it?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I really need to get off my butt to get this Chase Reserve card. Are there blackout dates for all of these hotel reservations? Would Italy in the summer work?

It's exactly like booking hotels/flights on a booking site. Everything is priced in $ and Points. Generally the price for flights is the exact same as what shows up on google.com/flights and prices for hotels are similar to what shows up on any of the major hotel booking sites (although I have seen some differences in prices of hotels when compared to booking sites).

I just booked a 9 day trip for my wife and I in Helsinki, Tallinn, Riga and Stockholm for 140,000 points. 65,000 (~$1000) for flights and the rest on hotels. I had some points saved up from my chase freedom card that I consolidated to the CSR card.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

dexter6 posted:

I have had the Citi Dividend World Elite MasterCard for 14 years (it was my first credit card).

In the last 3 years or so, I've started opening cards that actually give me good return, and this thing just sort of sits there. I do the "make a $10 charge and autopay" thing, but it kinda bothers my OCD that the card is even still open.

How much of a negative hit on my credit can I expect to get by closing it?

Almost none.

The average age of accounts includes closed accounts, so it'll stop increasing, but it won't drop off for a few years. If it has a significant limit, utilization will go up, but if you're running reasonable non-maxed-out-balances everywhere else then the increase won't be significant.

(obligatory reminder: unless you're going to be buying a house or car in the very near future, or churning signup bonuses, you don't need to worry about gaming your credit score. A few years of good history across a couple of credit cards, low utilization, and no significant red flags, is almost always enough to hit the "excellent credit" cutoff in the mid-700 FICO range)

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

AndrewP posted:

I hate the idea of an annual fee. But I love the idea of free money and we do some traveling throughout the year. $300 in travel credit is cool but that's still $150

FWIW the travel credit is for calendar year, not billing year, so you could get $600 and then cancel before paying the annual fee again.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
How do you figure out the best way to use these chase rewards points? For example I want to use the 100k points towards buying or upgrading to a business/first class flight to Europe. Is there a guide that tells you what airline program to transfer points to? I poked around on thepointsguy for a bit but got super confused regarding all the different fare classes and such.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

potatoducks posted:

How do you figure out the best way to use these chase rewards points? For example I want to use the 100k points towards buying or upgrading to a business/first class flight to Europe. Is there a guide that tells you what airline program to transfer points to? I poked around on thepointsguy for a bit but got super confused regarding all the different fare classes and such.

If you want to fly first class, best bet is going to be transferring points to an airline. Which airline to transfer to will heavily depend on where you are flying to/from and when. You will probably need to compare rates on each website.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
There are aggregators like Award Ace that allow you to put in a source, destination, and cabin class and will tell you how many miles you need on various airlines and what type(s) of transferable points you can use for each airline.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

extravadanza posted:

If you want to fly first class, best bet is going to be transferring points to an airline. Which airline to transfer to will heavily depend on where you are flying to/from and when. You will probably need to compare rates on each website.

What if you're just going economy? Is there any bonus to transferring points to a partner airline versus just booking through the UR portal? What about for Hyatt properties? I'm thinking of blowing my points on airfare and a badass Aria suite (or equivalent) in Vegas.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Mourne posted:

What if you're just going economy? Is there any bonus to transferring points to a partner airline versus just booking through the UR portal? What about for Hyatt properties? I'm thinking of blowing my points on airfare and a badass Aria suite (or equivalent) in Vegas.

Award travel (I.e. Airline miles and hotel points) is huuuge topic versus booking through the portal. Hyatt is far and away your best option for points transfers in terms of value for hotel rooms but their footprint is limited relative to Marriott or Hilton. Still, you can get some pretty great rooms for 5k or 10k points/night with Hyatt.

Domestic economy you'll probably do better paying through the portal; first or business class probably transferring to united, Air France, or Korean air. Really though it depends on when and where you are flying and there isn't necessarily a single answer that is always going to be right. People pay money to get someone to figure out first or business class airline award tickets.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

opposable thumbs.db posted:

There are aggregators like Award Ace that allow you to put in a source, destination, and cabin class and will tell you how many miles you need on various airlines and what type(s) of transferable points you can use for each airline.

This site is super useful. Thanks.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Edit wrong thread!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Mourne posted:

With CSR, you are probably better off going through the Chase portal, but as mentioned above, there's no one answer.

Example: A week ago, I booked $500 tickets from ORD -> HEL 4/9/17 ARN -> ORD 4/19/17 on British Airways thru the CSR Portal. this cost me like 34,000 pts each ticket for economy. Similar, but worse tickets (layovers) were available for around 35,000 points + Taxes from the airline's miles. In that instance, going thru the portal was better.. but if I didn't have CSR I might have been better off transferring points to the airline.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

DeceasedHorse posted:

Award travel (I.e. Airline miles and hotel points) is huuuge topic versus booking through the portal. Hyatt is far and away your best option for points transfers in terms of value for hotel rooms but their footprint is limited relative to Marriott or Hilton. Still, you can get some pretty great rooms for 5k or 10k points/night with Hyatt.

Domestic economy you'll probably do better paying through the portal; first or business class probably transferring to united, Air France, or Korean air. Really though it depends on when and where you are flying and there isn't necessarily a single answer that is always going to be right. People pay money to get someone to figure out first or business class airline award tickets.

extravadanza posted:

With CSR, you are probably better off going through the Chase portal, but as mentioned above, there's no one answer.

Example: A week ago, I booked $500 tickets from ORD -> HEL 4/9/17 ARN -> ORD 4/19/17 on British Airways thru the CSR Portal. this cost me like 34,000 pts each ticket for economy. Similar, but worse tickets (layovers) were available for around 35,000 points + Taxes from the airline's miles. In that instance, going thru the portal was better.. but if I didn't have CSR I might have been better off transferring points to the airline.

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I made a Hyatt passport account and didn't see anything comparable to UR rates. Thanks for the info :)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

this may be a dumb question but would there be an issue if I drove out of state to apply for this credit card at a Chase branch?

I mean based on what I've read here we're talking about literally thousands of dollars in signup bonus, seems like an 1.5 hour drive would would it be worth it.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Can you apply online instead?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

AndrewP posted:

this may be a dumb question but would there be an issue if I drove out of state to apply for this credit card at a Chase branch?

I mean based on what I've read here we're talking about literally thousands of dollars in signup bonus, seems like an 1.5 hour drive would would it be worth it.

I don't see why not. Surely plenty of people live near a state border and do banking in a different state than where they live. Maybe call them to make sure?

Can't apply online, the offer is only for applications at Chase branches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Crossposting from the newbie finance thread.

So quick question about credit cards. I'm 21 now, located in Ontario, and a student, and I figure it's long past time that I stop using a supplementary credit card from my father and start building up my own credit.

I graduate this year, my last job I was earning the equivalent of 33 a year. Not working now, but I have a job offer in NYC for after I graduate and a backup plan if that falls through. Um, current financial situation is 7 thousand in my scotiabank checking account (needs to last until April), and $4800 in my Tax Free Savings account (mostly in Mutual Funds, I don't want to touch this). No debt, no student loans.

What should I be looking for? I don't exactly have any credit history, but I figure that it's kinda useless if I'm just putting all my purchases on my debit card. Any starter tips, for lack of a better word? I want to start building up a good credit rating. Most of my monthly purchases are Rogers phone/TV/internet, grocery bills, the occasional fun thing off Amazon.

I travel to the United States regularly since I'm a dual citizen, but figure it's not worth getting a card with no international use fees since I can just get a card from my US bank. Never stay at hotels and rarely pay for taxis, not significant enough to look at a travel focused card.

So, generally speaking, what are best practices about both using my new credit card, and what should I look for when obtaining one?