Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bongo Bill posted:

What's a country?
A miserable little pile of nationalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have actually gotten flack from English people when I described them as being similar to Egyptians in that they have a large population but always foreign rulers. Who's the last actual English queen or king?

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 30, 2017

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Othon the Lame

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I have actually gotten flack from English people when I described them as being similar to Egyptians in that they have a large population but always foreign rulers Who's the last actual English queen or king?

If you were born in England then you're English.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

my dad posted:

A North wind is a wind coming from the North, what's so complicated about that? Were the Vikings Southerners because they kept raiding South?

So the flow direction of every river is "uphill", since that's where it's coming from. Got it. :)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

What's a country?

We just don't know.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

So the flow direction of every river is "uphill", since that's where it's coming from. Got it. :)

Space aliens.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Rumda posted:

If you were born in England then you're English.

Bull poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Keke Rosberg was born in Sweden but he's German.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

English people should be allowed to choose their own government, decide their own laws, live under their own rulers, but they should not dictate things to other countries or peoples. Which is how it stands today, the greatest evidence being the Brexit vote.

Kenya and Malaysia and Guyana got free of the English but Scotland couldn't because of rigged referenda. Sad!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

It's North wind, not northward wind.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

These Mercator apologists have really gotten out of hand

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Sad!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's the wu-tang continent on the left anyway?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

America is the greatest country in the world!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's the wu-tang continent on the left anyway?

Antarctica.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!

Sereri posted:

America is the greatest* country in the world!

*Second largest country in the America continent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependencies_by_area

I use to play eRepublic. A game where you play a map. And had to flee from my original country to UK. And the people on UK received me, and treated me well. I only have good things to say about UK guys.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 30, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have actually gotten flack from English people when I described them as being similar to Egyptians in that they have a large population but always foreign rulers. Who's the last actual English queen or king?

What does it mean to be 'actually' English for a nobleman? The idea that the king should be the embodiment of the nation didn't arise until the nation-state itself did. Up until that point, for the nobility, their pan-European class consciousness was much more important than the place they happened to be born in. Until at least the 19th century they used French as a lingua franca or even as a native tongue, and in some cases prided themselves on not speaking the local vernacular. In such a society, there is 'foreign rule' almost by definition.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Speaking of which, why is it that wind is the only thing in the universe* whose direction is given as the opposite of the way it's actually going? Like a "north wind" is actually blowing southward?

* Okay, and electrical current. But that's just a historical accident because Ben Franklin had a 50-50 shot and he guessed wrong.

No one cares where the wind is going.

It’s where the wind is coming from that matters, because that determines its temperature.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

No one cares where the wind is going.

It’s where the wind is coming from that matters, because that determines its temperature.

And its smell :whitewater:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Queen Elizabeth II. She was born in London and lived her whole life in the UK. Her dad was born in Norfolk and her mom was born in London. She's more English than I am Canadian you stupid moron.

And just in case you still think having both your parents and yourself born in the same country as you've spent your whole life still doesn't make you "English" enough, all four of her grandparents were also born in England.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Anyone that insists on referring to Ireland as Eire in English has either been transported through time from the 1930s or permanently wears an Aran jumper

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
She celebrates Christmas on the 24th. It's unnatural.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

No matter how big on justice and tolerance and equality and future-forward Canadians are, they're still technically ruled by an old German lady who inherited her position and lives on another continent and that's pretty silly.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm not sure if this is more or less strange than your insistence that the Americans shouldn't have gotten involved in WW2, Teriyaki Hairpiece.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm not sure how you can consider Elizabeth II German. You have to go back to her great-grandparents to find anyone who could reasonably be considered German.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Pakled posted:

I'm not sure how you can consider Elizabeth II German. You have to go back to her great-grandparents to find anyone who could reasonably be considered German.

Wannabe German maybe?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pakled posted:

ONE DROP

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Changing the subject, in my bookmarks I have a bunch of unlabeled imgur links and I came across this while looking for something yesterday. Probably from this thread. French Polynesia is not a small country.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I just came across this digital collection of historical persuasive maps, I bet there's some good ones in there.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/?f%5Bcollection_tesim%5D%5B%5D=Persuasive+Maps%3A+PJ+Mode+Collection

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Nationality is about belonging to an imagined community, and the community of 1917 England did not consider the suspiciously German royal family to be part of itself. Lizzie herself might have been born English, but her parents were rootless cosmopolitans at best.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Normally the only people who sincerely believe that there's something special to being 'English' that can't be gained merely by being born there to parents who live there are outright fascists who started loudly declaring 'I'm not British, I'm English!' purely coincidentally around the same time that significant numbers of people started identifying themselves as Black British or British Asian.

They can gently caress off and form their own country called Real England where Doggerland used to be. They can become like inverse Deep Ones, forever coming to the shores to complain about race mixing or the new Polish shop.

If you're eligible to play for England then you're probably English, unless you don't want to be.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Nationality is about belonging to an imagined community, and the community of 1917 England did not consider the suspiciously German royal family to be part of itself. Lizzie herself might have been born English, but her parents were rootless cosmopolitans at best.

Are those like today’s (((globalists)))?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
No true Englishman.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

ABP you should probably know that rootless cosmopolitans is code for drat Jews and you probably shouldn't say it even as a joke.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

make doggerland dry again

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ABP you should probably know that rootless cosmopolitans is code for drat Jews and you probably shouldn't say it even as a joke.
You're right, that might have been a bit too period appropriate. Sorry.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

I just came across this digital collection of historical persuasive maps, I bet there's some good ones in there.

https://digital.library.cornell.edu/?f%5Bcollection_tesim%5D%5B%5D=Persuasive+Maps%3A+PJ+Mode+Collection

very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Guys you should click this link, there is a lot of good stuff here.