Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm bitterly regretting leaving 9.1 and going to 10.2. I had a stable jailbreak on the former. This really really isn't. Upgrade to 10.2 if you must because I find there's actually not a lot of stuff that you can't adapt to without? But still, huge pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The 10.2 JB is still really really young and will get more stable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am on an iPad Pro 12" jailbroken on 9.3.3.

Should I go to 10.2? What is so unstable about it? Sorry if that's a silly question. :kiddo:

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
Anyone that is on 9.3.3 should just stay there for now. The jailbreak is still in a "beta" phase and a lot of things like tweaks don't work.

What everyone (on a jailbreakable firmware) should do is follow the SHSH blobs saver guide found here to save their device specific blobs for 10.2 and 10.2.1. The devices that are jailbroken currently (like people on 9.0.2 - 9.3.3) CAN use blobs to restore to 10.2 even when the signing window closes by using a jailbreak tool. Do it ASAP (saving blobs), because once Apple closes 10.2 you won't be able to save your blobs and you'll either have to stay on your current firmware or update to 10.2.1 (WHICH CANNOT BE JAILBROKEN FOR NOW)

Then just hang out on 9.3.3 until the YALU 10.2 jailbreak is stable for all jailbreakable devices. Once that happens, feel free to restore to 10.2 using blobs and jailbreak on 10.2.

Also, there's a lot of older posts on Reddit about how using blobs to install an unsigned firmware will break TouchID. This is no longer the case! TouchID will work just fine if you use your blobs to install 10.2 when it goes unsigned and only 10.2.1 is signed.

Poala Bear fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 27, 2017

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I hope the final release has support for air 2 on 10.2, that'd be sweet.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the link. I followed that guide. That's pretty awesome that you don't even need the iDevice to even do it. Just a few days ago people on reddit were saying the only way to save blobs were if you had access to OSX. People were even talking about running OSX in VM to do it :wtc:

My blobs were 8.9kb.I am assuming that's OK for an iPad Pro 12" wifi-only model?

Thanks so much. This might be the first time I ever got in on this blobs thing.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The 10.2 jailbreak is fine and stable. There just isn't complete device support yet, and performing the jailbreak is still a multi-step process that isn't quite as easy as Pangu Team's or Taig's recent efforts.

Bottom line is, update to iOS 10.2 if you are not on an iPhone 7.

If you are on an iPhone 7 and not on iOS 10.1x, you're out of luck.

People jailbroken on older iOS have fun I suppose staying put, if you want.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I'm wondering about the benefits of upgrading to iOS 10. 9.3.3 has been fine for me and I'm feeling too lazy to upgrade especially when the jailbreak is still very fresh and so everything hasn't been tested or fixed yet.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Sleipnizer just got a 10.2 compatibility update, which was enough to drive me to jailbreak my iPad Pro on 10.2. It was dead simple, everything is super stable, and now Safari isn't so lovely and cumbersome to use on a big screen.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Has anyone downgraded a 4S before?

I'm trying to find a good guide to using Beehind that doesn't wreck the baseband, but haven't come across anything so far.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Interested in going to 10.2 - but I've been happy on my iPhone 6 with ver. 8.4, as I missed the window last time.

What would you say are the biggest features or benefits of 10.2? Perhaps continuing to upgrade some out of date apps and the security fixes? Thanks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Normally I'd say "emoticons" but lol that's quite a gap

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I just went to the wikipedia page for IOS9 and wow they really haven't added anything useful for a long time have they.

9 at least had a couple of minor improvements.
10 is nothing but full screen animations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I updated to 10.2 because I know someday soon apps will require it.

So far it seems to work just fine. The jailbreak was easy, and after rebooting, you just need to run an app once, click OK, and you should be jailbroken again. No different than the 9.3 jailbreak from what I can see.

Has anyone on 10.2 been able to install Kodi though? When I install it from Cydia, it doesn't work (app just opens and closes). Then I searched and did some weird thing where I download a .deb file but it says it installed in iFile but no Kodi app shows up anywhere, even after a reboot?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Honestly there was a huge speed increase going to iOS 10 VS 9.1. Like I'm running stock right now and it's actually not too bad because SwiftKey doesn't crash, chrome opens faster. It's actually noticeable. Everything seems smoother and faster.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm going to skip it this time around. 9.3.3 is so stable on my 6+ and iPad Pro that I really don't want to chance anything.

I also don't use any new or wonderful apps or anything like that either, so I'm not too fussed.

My wife's iPhone is on ios10 and it seems so foreign to me that it just puts me off entirely.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

The deep learning built into iOS 10 Photos.app is amazing (I'm an amateur photographer).

It's faster and smaller than iOS 9. There have been some pretty big security holes plugged since 9.3.3. I like the Messages.app features when it comes to sending silly messages to my wife or sister.

Also, the HomeKit integration is really, really good. Like, leaps and bounds faster and more reliable than my SmartThings setup, though less powerful also. I adore having it as a backup.

Seems silly not to update to me, but within a few days the 10.2 signing window will be closed so you won't have an option anyway.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jan 30, 2017

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

bobfather posted:

Seems silly not to update to me, but within a few days the 10.2 signing window will be closed so you won't have an option anyway.

If you currently are jailbroken, you can save your blobs now (while 10.2 is being signed) and later you can use the jailbreak tool, Prometheus to install 10.2 even when the window closes.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Yeah, except it's already shown that in some cases this will break TouchID. For example, 10.2 downgrading to 10.1.1 irrevocably breaks TouchID (until you update to newer firmware), whereas moving from a 10.3 beta to 10.2 does not. Subsequent 10.3 betas, or 10.3 final may break TouchID when downgrading to 10.2 - we just don't know.

Considering TouchID is about 80% of why I like the newer iPhones better than iPhones pre-5, I would never personally risk losing it and having to resort to passcodes again.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
As long as 10.2.1 is being signed, you can use Prometheus to downgrade/upgrade to 10.2 and TouchID WILL WORK.

No word if that will be the case when 10.3 is released and 10.2.1 stops being signed.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I only skimmed so apologies if I'm repeating what I didn't see but the yalu beta has been updated to version 5, version 2 added support for everything else except iphone 7 and up.

Just a heads up for you 5s owners out there. SwipeShiftCaret + Swype keyboard is heaven to apple's miserable keyboard design.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Speaking of which, if I have a 5s JB'd at iOS 8.4, I should be able to find iOS 9.3.5 somewhere, install it and apply the 9.3.5 JB without having to reinstall every last Cydia add-on I jammed in there?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking of which, if I have a 5s JB'd at iOS 8.4, I should be able to find iOS 9.3.5 somewhere, install it and apply the 9.3.5 JB without having to reinstall every last Cydia add-on I jammed in there?
No, unless you saved the blobs for 9.3.5 while it was still being signed by Apple. It's not being signed now. So there's no way for you to go to 9.3.5.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So if I take it to 10.2 with a proper image, I can at least do that?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

So if I take it to 10.2 with a proper image, I can at least do that?

You can upgrade to 10.2 if you do it now, but the signing window is going to close literally any day now, so I'd strongly recommend doing it today. The 5s is 64 bit, so the 10.2 jailbreak should work just fine.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
Also 9.3.5 does not have a jailbreak. 9.3.2-9.3.4 all use the same exploit that eventually got patched out in 9.3.5.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I'm sticking with 9.3.2 for the ease of it. Robust messaging doesn't really interest me at all.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Where's the most up to date info on the new jailbreaks? I should probably get my 6+ off 8.1.2 so I can actually use newer apps and updates. Also Awful stopped working and I'm dying without it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

https://yalu.qwertyoruiop.com/

https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/wiki/ios10jailbreakhelp

Also, pity to anyone still on iOS 8 or 9.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Ugh. Sometimes I forget Reddit has some useful places. Thanks.

Is the new one... untethered? The one that doesn't require running some pc software every time you reboot. or I could just loving read the link.

quote:

Semi-Untethered ONLY!!

After rebooting your device, your tweaks will not function and your device will appear to not be jailbroken. To fix this, open the mach_portal (or yalu102) app and wait for it to close to the home screen

That sounds annoying but it could be worse.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 31, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hold up is there a stable i7 10.1.1 JB? Has my waiting and sacrifices paid off!? :woop:

Come back to me sweet sweet tage

Reddit is a great resource for poo poo like this

Bummey posted:

The last major JB was exact that but maybe more finicky

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Speaking as someone who just made the jump from 8.4 to 10.2, I concur! Especially if you have a 5S! Why not flex some of that 64-bit muscle?

My only regret is that KillBackground9 doesn't work on 10; a whole bunch of other tweaks do work, though..

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-10-ios-10.1.1-ios-10.2-compatible-cydia-jailbreak-tweaks-list/

Bummey posted:

Yeah, well all you have to do is re-run the yalu app to get your JB'd phone back.

Sadly, restoring 10.2 wiped out nearly all the tweaks I had running in iOS 8, now it's just a matter of hoping the devs rewrite for 10.2.

Even Cydia itself seems to be 32-bit? Well, guess it doesn't have to be 64-bit..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 31, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I think the new terminology is semi-untethered.

It's actually legit nice because if you walk into an Apple Store and try to get service, the only thing you need to do to hide your jailbreak is reboot your device. It will probably fail a diagnostic test run on it, but it will pass an eyeball test.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That's a good point. It's a really minor inconvenience.

Don't forget the days of tethered jailbreaks :argh:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Something that reddit link doesn't seem to cover:

Look up the cydia beta repo for a better version for ios 10. Has a bunch of fixes that the auto installed one needs.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

http://apt.saurik.com/beta/cydia-arm64/

Edit: plug that into Cydia, obviously.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for the heads up

Jailbreaks also stop the constant iOS update reminders right? Isn't that part of the JB

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Backing up now. I had to uninstall drat near everything on this SSD to make enough room. I didn't want to wait until Tuesday for amazon to ship me that hard drive I just ordered, in case they stop signing before then.

e: I should have just deleted all the poo poo old games I never play. I'm an old game hoarder. It's not okay. I have too many. I never open any of them.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 31, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Laffo. 10.2 signing window is closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Now that that's a thing I googled Prometheus but can't find a download. Can someone hold my hand on this? Not sure what I'm supposed to be doing here. I did save my blobs from that one website...

• Locked thread