Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Enourmo posted:

P sure that requires snow, fellow Floridian.

It's cool, I'm down with whatever isn't AI political Henny Penny chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wait.. This gives me an idea. Are we still without a mod?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fingers crossed that two Audi pistons with the same bore and compression ratio but different motors have the same ring lands.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Fingers crossed that two Audi pistons with the same bore and compression ratio but different motors have the same ring lands.

Knowing VW of that era I wouldn't even bother crossing your fingers. I know with the VW four pot engine you could slap in any piston you drat well pleased so long as it cleared the valves on the interference engines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Knowing VW of that era I wouldn't even bother crossing your fingers. I know with the VW four pot engine you could slap in any piston you drat well pleased so long as it cleared the valves on the interference engines.

Depends. The pistons won't swap, because the 20v requires valve depressions in the pistons that the 10v does not have. Also: 20v has piston squirters. Otherwise: Blocks swap, rods swap, etc.

I'm hoping the usual VW recycle-the-design holds true for the ringlands.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Mods = none. No Mods or Kings, Only Man.

Time to steer this trainwreck away from politi-chat. Have a BLACK YUGO GV.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Hey CommieGIR, you're a guy who's a VAG-addict, can you tell me whether it's possible to remove the pistons with the block in the car? I have to re-ring the pistons in my 2002 Golf 2.0L (engine code AVH) and don't have an engine lift or a stand. I have replacement gaskets and head bolts so I'm ready for that inevitability.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Hey CommieGIR, you're a guy who's a VAG-addict, can you tell me whether it's possible to remove the pistons with the block in the car? I have to re-ring the pistons in my 2002 Golf 2.0L (engine code AVH) and don't have an engine lift or a stand. I have replacement gaskets and head bolts so I'm ready for that inevitability.

Transverse? Yes. You can drop the pan in the car and just pull the connecting rod caps and push them out the top.

If your motor has that god forsaken motor mount that mounts to the head on the passenger side, just throw a jack stand under the block somewhere.

You can do it in the inline 5 Audis too, but you have to drop the subframe which crosses under the back of the oil pan.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 30, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

just help me yell at them and we can mod ourselves

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

just help me yell at them and we can mod ourselves

Adiabetic for moderator! Make AI great again!

:v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Adiabetic for moderator! Make AI great again!

:v:

He'll just make a robot that'll mod for him.

Meanwhile, I will make an Arduino moderate the forums :smuggo:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

He'll just make a robot that'll mod for him.

Meanwhile, I will make an Arduino moderate the forums :smuggo:

If he wants to build Cylons, i'm game.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

as moderator i promise to mostly be ignoring the forum while sailing or snowboarding, with random drop-ins where i yell at sadbrains and probe everyone

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Transverse? Yes. You can drop the pan in the car and just pull the connecting rod caps and push them out the top.

If your motor has that god forsaken motor mount that mounts to the head on the passenger side, just throw a jack stand under the block somewhere.

You can do it in the inline 5 Audis too, but you have to drop the subframe which crosses under the back of the oil pan.
Rad, that was my plan. Thankfully no, no motor mount on the head. I should definitely hone out those cylinders, though...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

What am I missing? Provided the height from the gudgeon pin to the top face is the same, and the gudgeon pin itself is the same diameter, why does it matter if they use different rings?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

also the missus seriously thought he just poo poo himself while gambling on a fart and had to ride a black diamond down to the lodge with alleged poo poo in his pants

i am happy to report it was a false alarm

2017 gently caress Yeah

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

What am I missing? Provided the height from the gudgeon pin to the top face is the same, and the gudgeon pin itself is the same diameter, why does it matter if they use different rings?

the rings he needed were NLA so he ordered some for a different engine. heres to hoping the ID/OD/Thickness/ring gap is usable.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Worried about ringlands gap sizing. It shouldn't be different, but I'm not sure.

Too little gap and the ring won't fit. Too much gap and it will stress the ring.

Ordered rings for an NG 10v 5 Cylinder Audi: same bore and compression as the engine I'm rebuilding. Same family even.

The nice part of this gamble is: I do own an NG motor, so the rings won't go to waste if they don't work on the 20v

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 30, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Apologies for mega-post (again). Catching up from the weekend

cakesmith handyman posted:

Congratulations! I felt great clearing mine the other year.

So I've been ill on and off for about 6 weeks and it's made me shamefully weak. Changing the oil in the panda (all 2.8l of it) and investigating crappy handbrake in the wife's car has left me feeling like I've just done a couple of days hard labour. Crappy body, why did you forsake me? After I fed you whiskey too you bastard.

No poo poo. I muddled about in the garage and shed, cleaning up and rearranging some stuff, and doing some minor tasks that have built up, and I ache all over. Didn't even lift any heavy stuff (that was the previous weekend).

Tomarse posted:

Just received a final refund payment from HMRC and finally closed off my student loan account after 18 years. gently caress you student loans.

I've got less than $4K left. Another 18 months or so. It's only been 20 years...

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm enjoying Dishonored 2 but for some reason it isn't drawing me in as much as the original did on my first or even second play through. Just finished the clockwork soldier guys mansion level and still no kills, bodies found or being detected. Kind of tempted to start a full chaos run for a change of pace and see if I enjoy it more.

Yeah, I think I'll do a full-on Chaos murdering everybody as Emily on the next run through, just for the assassination-related achievements, if nothing else.
Apparently, I'm way too impatient to not get detected. In my defense, all the deaths I've had were accidental (whoops, too close the edge!) or lightning wall (which I didn't know counted).

Enourmo posted:

Man actually no-poo poo moving to canada/aus/uk sounds reeeeal drat tempting at the moment. Too bad I'm stuck in Orlando for at least the next 16 months or so while I finish my degree. After that, though... mech. engineers are pretty mobile, right?

My step-mother-in-law is looking at trying to claim dual Irish citizenship, since her grandad emigrated from there.

Oz needs to stop trying to be America, then I'll think about moving there (not that they'd have me - my job can be done by any of 13 million Indians.) And the UK, well, I think Brexit pretty much sums it up. Canada is frozen, not sure about (aboot?) the politics. NZ is an option, but same issue with jorb.

keykey posted:

I was at school all day yesterday and quite appropriately in one of my classes, the topic for creating an effective argument was how to persuade people on either side. The gist was that if your audience has an extreme view on either side, trying to persuade them is a lost cause. Conversely, if your opinion differs from either of those views, you're seen as being the other. This was a super appropriate topic as my wife is a social worker and also has worked with refugees in the past. In any case, we were laying in bed and she opens Facebook and her and her uncle had a heated facebook argument which I think is probably the lamest thing ever, but whatever. Anyway, she asked me what I thought and I honestly don't know enough about the refugee thing and I just said I don't even have an opinion. Instantly I was branded as being for the ban. Sometimes art imitates life.

God, I hate that whole "if you're not with us, you're against us" bullshit. Oh, yeah, tell that to Switzerland, or any other neutral entity.
Now, in this case, the ban is terrible, but if you don't know all the facts, then, yeah, I'd prefer to know what I'm making a decision on first. Until then - neutral.

spog posted:

I'm almost more offended that this action was done so incompetently, rather than the horrible, bigoted nature of it.

It's like you expect politicians to enact policies to discriminate against people and screw over the vulnerable, but the fear comes when you realise that a badly thought-out order from above, which was possibly written in crayon, can affect the entire machinery of a civilised country.

So much this. You expect it to be much more subtle, or disguised as something else, not a blatant, childish temper tantrum.

keykey posted:

Mods = none. No Mods or Kings, Only Man.

Time to steer this trainwreck away from politi-chat. Have a BLACK YUGO GV.

That reminds me. I actually saw a first-gen Hyundai Excel 3-door on the road on Friday. In good shape, lowered and sporting aftermarket alloys, even. I'm almost surprised that there are any still functioning.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Screw political bullshit, I'm currently steeping some raisins in cheap vodka ($9, of which $6 is taxes :lol:) and in a couple of days I'll add a few cinnamon sticks and let it steep for a few more days. It'll probably get a tablespoon of honey as well.

I can hardly wait to taste it :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 30, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I packed the bottles of sauce for everyone who gave me money! Wheeeeee!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

rhyno i love me some hot sauce imma go back and find the info tonight and get me summa yers

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

the rings he needed were NLA so he ordered some for a different engine. heres to hoping the ID/OD/Thickness/ring gap is usable.

CommieGIR posted:

Worried about ringlands gap sizing. It shouldn't be different, but I'm not sure.

Too little gap and the ring won't fit. Too much gap and it will stress the ring.

Ordered rings for an NG 10v 5 Cylinder Audi: same bore and compression as the engine I'm rebuilding. Same family even.

The nice part of this gamble is: I do own an NG motor, so the rings won't go to waste if they don't work on the 20v
Ah, gotcha.

If they're not right, I bet some combination of rings from other engines would be able to build up a piston set, the trick is finding out which ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adiabatic posted:

rhyno i love me some hot sauce imma go back and find the info tonight and get me summa yers

Just PM me, $4 per bottle and like $4 to ship since it comes in just under the first class weight limit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I ate an omelette bun for breakfast/lunch and now I'm farting the most rancid egg farts. Toot toot. Tofu does the same to me but worse so I don't eat that poo poo no mo'

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I ate an omelette bun for breakfast/lunch and now I'm farting the most rancid egg farts. Toot toot. Tofu does the same to me but worse so I don't eat that poo poo no mo'

the missus and I are rancid-farters and we've been doing this recently:

1. Do you have a firing solution?
2. I have a firing solution
1. Confirm firing solution
2. Coordinates your pants
1. Confirm coordinates my pants. Ready to fire.
2. Send it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Trader Joe's chocolate waffles and peanut butter is the bomb. New breakfast favorite, TJ's is awesome.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Adiabatic posted:

the missus and I are rancid-farters and we've been doing this recently:

1. Do you have a firing solution?
2. I have a firing solution
1. Confirm firing solution
2. Coordinates your pants
1. Confirm coordinates my pants. Ready to fire.
2. Send it

I'm laughing way too hard at this.

Unrelated non-politichat: Sick kids means the last few nights of sleep have been a disaster. Hope they get better soon. In the interim, I'm thankful for awesome coffee at home. Aero-press, fresh-ish coffee and a burr grinder. So good.

edit:

TJ's is awesome.

Can confirm. We got our first here a few years ago. So much good stuff for so cheap.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I haven't been able to keep down much of anything solid for the past weekend and now my own brand smells like 2 part epoxy.

What the hell is happening in my bowels?

Laura-4-Lyfe
Oct 14, 2005

Any of you guys been to Wasteland Weekend? A friend and I are thinking of going this year.

http://www.wastelandweekend.com/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I've now eaten at Habit, Five Guys, and In'N'Out. I rank them in that order, with Five Guys winning by a hair on burgers but losing to Habit due to fries (Peanut oil? Who uses peanut oil to cook fries? Gave my girlfriend's kid an allergic reaction, thankfully its more a stomach ache than anaphylactic shock). Both are miles ahead of In'N'Out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

Any of you guys been to Wasteland Weekend? A friend and I are thinking of going this year.

http://www.wastelandweekend.com/

A less artsy Burning Man?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

ilkhan posted:

I've now eaten at Habit, Five Guys, and In'N'Out. I rank them in that order, with Five Guys winning by a hair on burgers but losing to Habit due to fries (Peanut oil? Who uses peanut oil to cook fries? Gave my girlfriend's kid an allergic reaction, thankfully its more a stomach ache than anaphylactic shock). Both are miles ahead of In'N'Out.

they said no politics chat you motherfucker

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ilkhan posted:

It probably wasn't the peanut oil, since the allergy-causing bits are taken out during the refining process.

It may just have been the delicious grease bomb that is Five Guys burgers that caused the stomachache.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

We recently got a Jersey Mike's and it's by far the best Subs I've had since I was a kid. Traditional northeast style subs are the way it should be.

Subway can rot in loving hell.

[e] btw if you put mayo on a sub you're doing it wrong, oil and vinegar ftw

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looking through the library of congress digital stuff i ended up at the tacoma times newspaper from 100 years ago today, and found this in there.

Driving coast to coast in 1917 was such a big deal, the dude met the governer.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

ilkhan posted:

Peanut oil is a great choice for frying. It has a high smoke point and tastes better.

Nobody uses it because it's twice what vegetable oil costs.

5 guys has free peanuts and shells all over. It's not a place for someone with nut allergies period.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

We recently got a Jersey Mike's and it's by far the best Subs I've had since I was a kid. Traditional northeast style subs are the way it should be.

if u order online using a code you get a bunch of money off

the big kahuna with extra jalapeno is fuckin radddddd

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's awesome thanks for the tip TT

And yes can confirm the Big Kahuna is the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I like Firehouse subs. Their beef brisket and cheddar is awesome. Minus the mayo of course because gross :barf:

• Locked thread