Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
Wow, Kunming might break within the next few days if things keep going the way they are. That's a pretty significant chunk of China's remaining industry. Chengtu and Sian are probably the next closest industry centers, unless Grey's advancing unopposed in the north and hasn't been showing us. I wonder what's defending these, since Kunming had little more than a speedbump.

If you aren't doing it already, you might be interested to know that it's actually possible to sail supply ships straight to Hankow if you control the hex (or the neighboring Wenchow if you don't). That might help your supply problems there. During my allied playthroughs, the siege would often last a while because the Japanese would do that while surrounded... until China's B-25 pilots learned to skip bomb :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
The Lurline sunk? Who's going to cruise to Hawaii now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gbEAbhSJtg

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

i81icu812 posted:

The Lurline sunk? Who's going to cruise to Hawaii now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gbEAbhSJtg

The Lurline had a hell of a career. There's a story that her radio operator picked up signals from Kido Butai during the approach to Pearl Harbor. She was also the ship that picked up the American diplomatic corps from Japan after war was declared. She pops up all over the place during the war if you look at which troop transports participated in any given operation.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

mllaneza posted:

The Lurline had a hell of a career. There's a story that her radio operator picked up signals from Kido Butai during the approach to Pearl Harbor. She was also the ship that picked up the American diplomatic corps from Japan after war was declared. She pops up all over the place during the war if you look at which troop transports participated in any given operation.

She also was the pride of the Matson line and the primary way anyone got to Hawaii prior to airlines. A heck of a career.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

For gods sake! Get out of there!

The number of enemy planes is multiplying rapidly!

Get in the air!

I don't think any of these ships are making it home.

We start the ground action.

We hit the standard targets again.

CHARGE!

Cities are such pains to take.

Good ground combat, but the mass of dive bombers is going to make the New Caledonia front a pain to supply.

I have to report we have lost our fist battleship.

As an aside, Here is the Rule the Waves game where I go after the Royal Navy. I has an interesting start...

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

No longer content to sink countless pixelmen, Grey Hunter began a third LP in hopes of sinking himself

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

30 January 1943

British corvette Samphire, torpedoed near Bougie by U-596.
Italian minesweeper Unie (ex-Yugoslav Kobac), sunk by air attack in Bizerte.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Honestly only losing one battleship after more than a year into the game while also having used them in battleship and carrier duels is an incredible feat in and of itself.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Grey Hunter posted:

I have to report we have lost our fist battleship.

Rest in peace you glorious bastard.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
What were all those big stupid battleships doing there, anyway?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

TildeATH posted:

What were all those big stupid battleships doing there, anyway?

Dying, apparently.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Dying at a slower rate than the transports they were accompanying would have died on their own, presumably.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey Hunter posted:

For gods sake! Get out of there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXb0zcEM-rI

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Supporting the invasion of a small island without adequate air cover in order to land not enough troops and supplies in a region already well known for its Allied air superiority.

Seems legit to me.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Leperflesh posted:

Supporting the invasion of a small island without adequate air cover in order to land not enough troops and supplies in a region already well known for its Allied air superiority.

Seems legit to me.

Enough about Midway

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Considering that those planes are taking off from Noumea the odds of this happening again will be greatly reduced when those troops finally finish marching. How long until they reach their destination, Grey?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Grey, for the love of God, if your fatigue or disruption is greater than 25 don't attack, let your troops rest. You're a slave driver!

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

RZApublican posted:

Considering that those planes are taking off from Noumea the odds of this happening again will be greatly reduced when those troops finally finish marching. How long until they reach their destination, Grey?

I was wondering this myself and realised in this shot you can just see the icon for the Japanese troops nearing Noumea. Must only be a hex or two away now:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Maybe it would have been better to delay this invasion until after taking Noumea airfield.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

vyelkin posted:

Maybe it would have been better to delay this invasion until after taking Noumea airfield.

Guards! Take this backslider out and have him shot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Sounds like someone wants to deny the IJN their rightful honor in battle by asking them to "wait" for the army to "help" them.

Arraxis
Jul 10, 2012
I'm always amazed at how bad Japanese AA is. All those planes attacking battleships and only a few damaged. RIP Fuso, you will be missed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Time to reset the breakers because we blew a Fuso.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kibayasu posted:

Sounds like someone wants to deny the IJN their rightful honor in battle by asking them to "wait" for the army to "help" them.

It'd be ironic if those advancing troops were IJN land forces.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
Grey Hunter, I don't know what the hell happened to the spreadsheet to get it this weird or what was changed but the y axis should be working again.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Katznmaus posted:

Grey Hunter, I don't know what the hell happened to the spreadsheet to get it this weird or what was changed but the y axis should be working again.

Might be the fact I'm touching it. I have that effect on things.

Last week I caused a very expensive bit of testing equipment to have a hard drive failure. just by using it properly.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Grey Hunter posted:

Might be the fact I'm touching it. I have that effect on things.

Last week I caused a very expensive bit of testing equipment to have a hard drive failure. just by using it properly.

And two years ago. :downsrim:

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Arraxis posted:

I'm always amazed at how bad Japanese AA is. All those planes attacking battleships and only a few damaged. RIP Fuso, you will be missed.

Who needs radar-directed guns? Massed fire has worked this long, it'll keep working now!

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
This new offensive seems centered around trading battleships for PT boats.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We lose more planes on the ground.

This is going to be a bloody battle, but I think we have the numbers to take the base.

The Liberators gun down our attacking planes.

I'm showing a rare kill here.

Its time to keep hitting them here.

A shock attack overwhelms the defenders and takes us a base!

We take a base and are threatening two more. Shame they are all going to be long fights.

Another ship lost.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Holy poo poo 40,000 Allied troops in Noumea.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Grey Hunter posted:

This is going to be a bloody battle, but I think we have the numbers to take the base.

Did you put the wrong screenshot with this comment? You lost a hundred and fifty squads, forty guns and more vehicles than you had in the first place, you're now outmatched in literally everything, you caused bugger all casualties in return, the Allies control the seas around the island and the skies above it, and you think you can win this?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Friend Commuter posted:

Did you put the wrong screenshot with this comment? You lost a hundred and fifty squads, forty guns and more vehicles than you had in the first place, you're now outmatched in literally everything, you caused bugger all casualties in return, the Allies control the seas around the island and the skies above it, and you think you can win this?

This thread is much better if you assume Grey is roleplaying as Japanese High Command.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Does fighting in a hex stop planes from taking off from it? Because if so this might be a decent decision. Also good goddamn Grey get more troops to Noumea ASAP!

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Friend Commuter posted:

BANZAAIIIIIIII

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

His engineers are his one asset in Noumea. He reduced the forts to 4 in the initial attack, and has a little bit more AV. Grey may be thinking that if he takes out the forts, he can press a victory.

However, the defenders are also getting a terrain bonus, he lost 13% of his force and all of his vehicles in his first attack (and 39 disabled engineer squads, which may or may not be important, I'm not sure how many he has there) and of course there's always the question of supply.

I also think a victory there is pretty unlikely unless he's got more troops on the way or something.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The IJA: We Have Reserves*

* - Void where prohibited

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

How in the hell did the Allies manage to land 40,000 men on New Caledonia without us noticing?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:rip: BrownieMinusEye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

31 January 1943

Italian corvette Procellaria, mined in HMS Welshman's field in the Sicilian Channel.
Italian torpedo boat Generale Marcello Prestinari, mined in the same field while sailing to assist Procellaria.
:italy: