Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Aging Millenial posted:

Why does this stupid game punish you if someone else on your team leaves?

Why not cancel the match if a player immediately quits?

It doesn't. In comp there's a short grace period for the person who quit to reconnect in case of a bad connection or whatever, and after that you can leave without penalty. Everywhere else there's backfill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It doesn't. In comp there's a short grace period for the person who quit to reconnect in case of a bad connection or whatever, and after that you can leave without penalty. Everywhere else there's backfill.

"without penalty" means without leaver penalty, you still get a loss and lose rank.

the intention is to prevent people from manipulating the system to avoid losses: "there's no way we can win, so we're gonna have our mercy main eat the loss for us and cause the game to be cancelled, and someone else can eat the loss next time" etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

"without penalty" means without leaver penalty, you still get a loss and lose rank.

You'd still lose if a player were actively throwing. You haven't lost anything that wasn't at the mercy of your teammates all along.

If you could cancel the results of a match by quitting that would be way worse, because it would incentivize leaving, especially organized leaving among members of a stack.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Someone here or maybe it was in one of the other Overwatch threads posted a story about how he was queuing with a buddy of his in comp and when the matchmaker placed them against players that appeared to outrank them his buddy dropped early to scuttle the match in order to keep his friend from losing rank points. The overall tone of the story was "man my buddy is a real swell guy for taking a bullet for me like that."

So basically imagine if you could do that at any point during a match and it worked the same way. "poo poo, looks like we're not coming back from this one, okay Bob I quit the last time so now it's your turn."

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kai Tave posted:

Someone here or maybe it was in one of the other Overwatch threads posted a story about how he was queuing with a buddy of his in comp and when the matchmaker placed them against players that appeared to outrank them his buddy dropped early to scuttle the match in order to keep his friend from losing rank points. The overall tone of the story was "man my buddy is a real swell guy for taking a bullet for me like that."

So basically imagine if you could do that at any point during a match and it worked the same way. "poo poo, looks like we're not coming back from this one, okay Bob I quit the last time so now it's your turn."

The other half of this should be a cumulative draconian policy against leavers to discourage this nonsense in a fashion that doesn't affect ongoing games.

Or we could just have the current system where games randomly get poo poo on, I guess. That's some good ol' Blizzard design choice right there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

you mean like the one that already exists, culminating in a season-long ban

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i love to poo poo on Blizzard as much as anyone but this is like the one thing they knocked out of the park

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

That might have been me, but it wasnt because we were outranked (though I was the only diamond in the match, everyone else were masters), it was because a guy on my team picked sombra on volskaya defense, refused to switch to rein when asked and got the rest of the team so tilted that they wanted to throw the game. but yeah i can see why blizzard did things the way they did.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unoriginal Name posted:

The other half of this should be a cumulative draconian policy against leavers to discourage this nonsense in a fashion that doesn't affect ongoing games.

This already exists. The guy got hit with the first part of the cumulative penalty but the first part is only like a 10 minute comp ban. You will eventually get banned for the season if you go nuts with it but if you really don't think people would game the gently caress out of a system that allowed them to leave at any point during a competitive game and scrub the results for everybody else then I don't know what to tell you.

"The current system where games randomly get poo poo on" is a result of playing with other people, which isn't actually a thing that Blizzard or anyone else can engineer a proper solution to short of maybe threatening leavers with summary execution. Even games that employ things like leaver queues and hellservers and other such punishments still get people who drop, quit, throw, and otherwise make online multiplayer experiences shittier because that's what online gaming communities do. The solution to this is accepting that sometimes you roll the dice and get a quitter or an rear end in a top hat and that things will average out with more games played. Or you can stick to quickplay where the leavers don't matter, that's always an option too.

Smiles posted:

That might have been me, but it wasnt because we were outranked (though I was the only diamond in the match, everyone else were masters), it was because a guy on my team picked sombra on volskaya defense, refused to switch to rein when asked and got the rest of the team so tilted that they wanted to throw the game. but yeah i can see why blizzard did things the way they did.

Oh okay, sorry, I couldn't remember the details. I'm not trying to call out your friend here or anything, don't get me wrong, it's just that your story was the perfect example of why Blizzard doesn't want people to be free to in the middle of a losing match go "okay, time to draw straws to see who takes it on the chin."

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've really been enjoying playing Symmetra in defensive roles on the maps where that's possible. Is she viable when the team is on attack? I can't think of how the turrets / shield generator would be best placed when attacking.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones
The problem with Sombra's hack is that it's v inconsistent in how it affects abilities/ults. Also: If lucio is hacked, he shouldnt still have an aura, your loving stereo is hacked it should play some embarrassing music. In fact, humiliating stuff should happen if people try to use their abilities when hacked, embrace her being an agitator.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

jopo posted:

The problem with Sombra's hack is that it's v inconsistent in how it affects abilities/ults. Also: If lucio is hacked, he shouldnt still have an aura, your loving stereo is hacked it should play some embarrassing music. In fact, humiliating stuff should happen if people try to use their abilities when hacked, embrace her being an agitator.

hacking a lucio and making him play mariachi music would be the greatest thing ever

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Hacked Lucio plays night rocker.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 30, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Montalvo posted:

I've really been enjoying playing Symmetra in defensive roles on the maps where that's possible. Is she viable when the team is on attack? I can't think of how the turrets / shield generator would be best placed when attacking.

The short answer is that it depends on what general level/rank you're playing at. At lower levels attack Symmetra can work because she has a weapon that doesn't require aim in an environment where people aren't as good at aiming, so she can do a lot of damage and the people trying to return fire can be stymied by a 200 hitpoint hero whose method of defense is jumping. When people start being able to aim then attack Symmetra becomes vastly less useful.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

redneck nazgul posted:

hacking a lucio and making him play mariachi music would be the greatest thing ever

I never knew I wanted something like this in Overwatch, but now I do. Ahahah.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The leaver system would be vastly improved if it only gave a loss to the person who left, and anyone they were in a group with. That prevents members of a group from trading losses, while also not punishing people whose only crime was 'being on a team with someone who disconnected'. One could argue this would lead to people pressuring other players to quit, but given how hard it is to make your average player stop playing Hanzo for one loving minute I don't think thats a huge concern.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The trolling to tilt people into leaving would be insane, nothing good would come from it. As it stands, a loss is a loss, so you are committed to it anyway, imagine how bad it would be if you could be rewarded for harassing teammates out of the game.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cicadalek posted:

The leaver system would be vastly improved if it only gave a loss to the person who left,

Oh man this is a great way to have everyone scream at their team mates to try to get them to leave

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah it was a problem for a while how, early on in a match, someone could leave the match to cancel it without penalty-so at higher ranks people would just dodge matches constantly if it was against people they thought they couldn't beat

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh man this is a great way to have everyone scream at their team mates to try to get them to leave

sure, but I don't see how it's different from current games where everyone screams at team mates to kill themselves

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's bad now, so imagine how much worse it'll be if the reward for doing it is that you don't lose any SR.

Imagine winning a game handily, then some wanker leaves so nobody changes SR.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

The winning team would still get SR in this hypothetical situation

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That still leaves the problem of actively encouraging me to call "hanzomain69" a oval office over and over again until he leaves so I can get to GM faster.

Also holy moley the SR bloat this would cause.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Hanzomain69 isn't gonna leave though, since he knows that means losing at least 50 SR in addition to receiving a loss. So swearing at him is more likely to result in them throwing instead of them leaving.

I understand that this would seem to encourage people yelling at others to leave, but the penalties for leaving are so heavy already that I don't think anyone is going to be coerced into doing it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Honestly, most leaves are a result of the team already doing so poorly that you would've lost anyway. The system is fine, although I will admit it is pretty frustrating when it happens.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The current system sucks very much when you get a leaver, but I don't see an alternative. It would be much worse if somebody times out near the end of a 20 minute match and suddenly everything is invalidated.

Team with a leaver don't lose SR? Massive SR inflation. Both teams don't change SR (except leaver)? Insanely frustrating.

Overall, you'll balance out with leavers over time so whatever. The current system is the simplest and least abusable.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cicadalek posted:

The winning team would still get SR in this hypothetical situation

So on top of the perverse incentive to harass your own team when you're losing, you've also encouraged cross-team poo poo-talking and added a nasty inflationary effect to the matchmaking algorithm, good job!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kai Tave posted:

The short answer is that it depends on what general level/rank you're playing at. At lower levels attack Symmetra can work because she has a weapon that doesn't require aim in an environment where people aren't as good at aiming, so she can do a lot of damage and the people trying to return fire can be stymied by a 200 hitpoint hero whose method of defense is jumping. When people start being able to aim then attack Symmetra becomes vastly less useful.

Thanks. I'll stick to playing Mercy on attack.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
no more loot boxes, ever. spent 10$ trying to get a mei skin, any skin. didn't get a single new year skin. loot boxes are the stupidest poo poo to happen to video games, right after dlc.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
im a loving retard for buying them this one time too. i should have known better.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Blind boxes are actually much worse than the concept of dlc imo. At least with dlc you know what you're getting and sometimes its even good!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Blind boxes get to trigger that gambling part of your brain, surely I will get the skin in the next box, or the one after that...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess Genji Hanzo Junkrat Widow Reaper is the official QP meta because I have seen that exact composition 3 rounds in a row

Especially if people join team and choose in that order.

Three damage dealers on defense, no healers or tanks? Gotta get my Genji on!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm not opposed to blind boxes, but if you're going to allow duplicates, you need to at least increase the values of them. A Legendary Skin should at least give you half the cost of another Legendary.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

^burtle posted:

I'm not opposed to blind boxes, but if you're going to allow duplicates, you need to at least increase the values of them. A Legendary Skin should at least give you half the cost of another Legendary.

Yea, 20% for a duplicate seems way too low.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I decided to play some junkrat tonight in QP to see how he was.

Holy moley, i'm loving destroying people i can't see. I'm shredding a dumbass dva that keeps trying to fly up to my vantage point only to get trapped as I shoot her in the face and conc mine half the map away. I'm using the conc mine to flank like a motherfucker and wipe out anyone not near a rein shield. I'm being the biggest loving pain and i'm laughing ridiculously hard the whole time.

Goddamn this guy is great. Don't loving change him.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

dogstile posted:

I decided to play some junkrat tonight in QP to see how he was.

Holy moley, i'm loving destroying people i can't see. I'm shredding a dumbass dva that keeps trying to fly up to my vantage point only to get trapped as I shoot her in the face and conc mine half the map away. I'm using the conc mine to flank like a motherfucker and wipe out anyone not near a rein shield. I'm being the biggest loving pain and i'm laughing ridiculously hard the whole time.

Goddamn this guy is great. Don't loving change him.

junkrat is good

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I like shooting his tires. It makes me feel accomplished.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Kerrrrrrr posted:

junkrat is good

Nah, he's actually pretty bad, but he's fun. And useful on lower ratings.

Edit: My point is, Junkrat could use a little love.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Montalvo posted:

I was watching videos recently of a player named grumblehog who made top 500 with symmetra only, and it's definitely possible but you have to really know what you're doing with her to make it work-- things like being able to quickly shred a Reinhardt with alt fire, getting ult up and knowing what to do with it, etc. I've had surprisingly good luck doing it in qp but I haven't tried it in ranked just because it seems like a thing that'd instatilt a team and I don't wanna deal with that. I do recommend playing around with it in qp if you enjoy her though, because it feels really good to win hanamura attack thanks to your teleporter on second point