Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

There is a grace period for agendas. Some require 10 turns to pass since you met, some require 30.

Get this mod called "Agenda Tweaks" if you want them to make more sense.

Well then the grace period isn't working. I know I've met the Kongo guy, and 2 turns later he denounced me for not spreading my religion to his cities. It would be physically impossible for me to have spread religion to his cities within 2 turns of meeting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Orange Sunshine posted:

Well then the grace period isn't working. I know I've met the Kongo guy, and 2 turns later he denounced me for not spreading my religion to his cities. It would be physically impossible for me to have spread religion to his cities within 2 turns of meeting him.

Not if you were exploring with missionaries.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Orange Sunshine posted:

Did he denounce you, or did he just complain? He'll always complain right away, but I haven't seen denouncing that fast.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

homullus posted:

Not if you were exploring with missionaries.

Do you explore with missionaries, homullus, on the off-chance you meet Kongo

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

:siren: If you are annoyed with the AI and want to battle it out with real humans, come and join the 3rd goon PBEM game. You will download a client which handles the save distribution
automatically and notifies you when it's your turn.

Password: letmein

What to expect:
- Small map, 6 players, shuffle (I'm willing to change the map type if other players want to)
- Online speed, which is around 250 turns max. The average turnout seems to be one whole turn per day, so this is up to 250 real life days.

It's a slow-paced experience, only a few minutes a day, so you should have patience. The ability to play your turns somewhat reliably is welcome.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Alkydere posted:

I think my favorite lack of grace period is the leader of Kongo freaking out the moment you have a religion, but haven't had a chance to spread it to him. Dude, you're on the other side of the world, past barbarians and 2 other civs, and I haven't even built my worship building that will allow me to build a loving missionary. Chill the gently caress out.

Kongo is by far the worst but he once denounced me for it and I literally had a missionary on his goddamned borders.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Sure, I'll hop in. I'll probably be mercilessly crushed, but oh well. :v:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I admit upfront that I remember more or less nothing about pre-expansion Civ 5, but going off what few memories I DO have, this seems way less fun.

I mean, I dunno if I'd call it worse. It's more that every flaw in this game serves to decrease it's enjoyment factor. Even changes that "make sense" like the movement changes on rough terrain means the game a) moves way slower, and b) makes ranged attacks way more powerful, which is why the game is ranged supremacy unless you have a specific civ bonus. Other changes include port cities being terrible, encouraging horrendous city swamping so that you have as many cities as humanly possible, the asinine way districts are priced so that they become harder to build as the years pass on, the nonsensical diplomacy system that mostly just serves to ensure you will always go for a domination victory...the list goes on.

I almost feel like they tried to play up the domination factor, and in doing so ruined everything else. Except they also cocked that up with AI that literally cannot invade you.

Civ 6 is a bad game.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

I admit upfront that I remember more or less nothing about pre-expansion Civ 5, but going off what few memories I DO have, this seems way less fun.

I mean, I dunno if I'd call it worse. It's more that every flaw in this game serves to decrease it's enjoyment factor. Even changes that "make sense" like the movement changes on rough terrain means the game a) moves way slower, and b) makes ranged attacks way more powerful, which is why the game is ranged supremacy unless you have a specific civ bonus. Other changes include port cities being terrible, encouraging horrendous city swamping so that you have as many cities as humanly possible, the asinine way districts are priced so that they become harder to build as the years pass on, the nonsensical diplomacy system that mostly just serves to ensure you will always go for a domination victory...the list goes on.

I almost feel like they tried to play up the domination factor, and in doing so ruined everything else. Except they also cocked that up with AI that literally cannot invade you.

Civ 6 is a bad game.

For the record the transition from stacks to 1UPT had a much more profound impact on movement tedium and unit balance than Civ VI's fairly minor changes did.

Pre-expansion Civ V was much worse than Civ VI could ever be.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ProfessorCirno posted:

Civ 6 is a bad game.

Sounds like most of the things you've listed (slow unit movment, bad sea tiles, bad diplomacy, but not district costs, though I've seen mods for that) are addressed by Quo's combined tweaks mod. Might be worth installing that and AI+ if you're not just washing your hands of the game entirely.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Gort posted:

Sounds like most of the things you've listed (slow unit movment, bad sea tiles, bad diplomacy, but not district costs, though I've seen mods for that) are addressed by Quo's combined tweaks mod. Might be worth installing that and AI+ if you're not just washing your hands of the game entirely.
Well this looks pretty fantastic.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

dy. posted:

Well this looks pretty fantastic.

Yeah I think this is going to bring me back into the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Disclaimer: I haven't played that mod.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Gort posted:

Disclaimer: I haven't played that mod.
I'm up to the Medieval era with it and it's pretty rad so far. It seems to fix many problems. There's even an AI nearby who likes me!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The district pricing thing isn't even the worst part of districts. Not allowing you to redustrict is. Fine give a penalty to the player for it but Jesus Christ. It's not usually a problem but every now and again I gently caress something up and OH WELL MISTAKE MADE IN 3000BC? SURE WERE COLONIZING MARS BUT WE CANT UNDO THAT!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

That mod looks great, thanks for posting it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Using that mod, I've made an alarming amount of gold using Cleopatra with an economy focus. Also the two AI nearby don't immediately hate me.

A+ mod.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

markus_cz posted:

:siren: If you are annoyed with the AI and want to battle it out with real humans, come and join the 3rd goon PBEM game. You will download a client which handles the save distribution

What to expect:
- Small map, 6 players, shuffle (I'm willing to change the map type if other players want to)
- Online speed, which is around 250 turns max. The average turnout seems to be one whole turn per day, so this is up to 250 real life days.

It's a slow-paced experience, only a few minutes a day, so you should have patience. The ability to play your turns somewhat reliably is welcome.

I'm already in the first game and joining this one as well. I'm enjoying the slow pace but also craving for more...

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Yeah, what the hell, I'm up for another.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

ProfessorCirno posted:

Civ 6 is a bad game.

Civ 5 was way, way less fun on launch than Civ 6 because there wasn't anything to do. It was so incredibly barebones. No religion, no tourism, no trade routes, no espionage, no world congress, no great works. The tech tree was sparse, wonders were rare, and the civilizations at launch didn't feel very unique. Coming from the fully expanded and patched Civ 4, the sheer lack of things to do was jarring. It may feel like like tried to play up the domination factor in 6, but with 5, they didn't have to, because it was almost literally the only thing you could do. And while the AI definitely leaves a lot to be desired in 6, it was somehow even worse at 5's launch. To me, there's no comparison. Civ 6 definitely suffers from a lot of balance issues, but the mere fact that there's imbalanced systems is a huge step above what Civ 5 shipped as.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 6 has a lot to improve on but people forget how absolutely bare 5 was at launch. Nearly every mechanic we now like just straight wasn't in it. I'll call a flawed but robust launch better than a decent but barebones one any day.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

markus_cz posted:

What to expect:

Shoot, I was going to join this but it's full. So I made a new game, Goon IV instead. The password to this one is spiderman.

I was thinking of doing a Pangea game, so keep that in mind when choosing your civ. We can also tweak other parameters if anyone has suggestions to make it more interesting (no barbs, for example). Or, we can force one victory type, like science, which is always rad. Let me know if anyone feels strongly about that.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah for all the flaws 6 has, it is worlds better than 5 was at launch.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sheriff posted:

Civ 5 was way, way less fun on launch than Civ 6 because there wasn't anything to do. It was so incredibly barebones. No religion, no tourism, no trade routes, no espionage, no world congress, no great works. The tech tree was sparse, wonders were rare, and the civilizations at launch didn't feel very unique. Coming from the fully expanded and patched Civ 4, the sheer lack of things to do was jarring. It may feel like like tried to play up the domination factor in 6, but with 5, they didn't have to, because it was almost literally the only thing you could do. And while the AI definitely leaves a lot to be desired in 6, it was somehow even worse at 5's launch. To me, there's no comparison. Civ 6 definitely suffers from a lot of balance issues, but the mere fact that there's imbalanced systems is a huge step above what Civ 5 shipped as.

You also couldn't play it multiplayer until the first patch because the turns took longer and longer until they finally stopped and you had to just abandon the game.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wasn't base five basically a revolution reskin?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

kater posted:

Not even close.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

kater posted:

God, I wish. That game has some good ideas I'd love to see make it into the mainstream Civ games.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I would actually be playing MP games (coop) with friends if teams still existed. Our theory is that they couldn't be arsed to balance things like Religion around them or something, seeing those never really worked in Civ5 teams.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Tahirovic posted:

I would actually be playing MP games (coop) with friends if teams still existed. Our theory is that they couldn't be arsed to balance things like Religion around them or something, seeing those never really worked in Civ5 teams.

They don't really bother balancing other things so I'd be surprised if they cut it for balance reasons. Probably more likely teams just made it onto a list of features they could cut to release faster.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Gort posted:

A lot of these changes seem a) modest and b) clever while being c) interesting and d) not overpowered, which is quite the achievement. Maybe Firaxis will just steal all of these for a patch (wishful thinking I know).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zero_Grade posted:

A lot of these changes seem a) modest and b) clever while being c) interesting and d) not overpowered, which is quite the achievement. Maybe Firaxis will just steal all of these for a patch (wishful thinking I know).

I hope they don't copy the ones that remove restrictions on buildings and wonders, or the increase in strategic resources, or lower the barbarians. Those are not interesting or clever, and return the game to its One True Build Order roots (with resulting same-y games).

A lot of the other ones are neat. I like the free scout promotion, the pantheon adjustments, and the things that further individualize civs.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

homullus posted:

I hope they don't copy the ones that remove restrictions on buildings and wonders, or the increase in strategic resources, or lower the barbarians. Those are not interesting or clever,

Thats my one complaint as well. Being able to grab a colosseum with no entertainment district makes the district itself moot. I wonder how hard it would be to make those tweaks myself.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

True. Overall it seems pretty good , I want to give it a whirl over the weekend. I especially like the pantheon changes, because the base ones are somehow even more bland than in BNW, and the extra incentives for settling on underused terrain (oases, tundra, coastline).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

CascadeBeta posted:

Thats my one complaint as well. Being able to grab a colosseum with no entertainment district makes the district itself moot. I wonder how hard it would be to make those tweaks myself.

Depends on your SQL or general familiarity with coding. Probably not all that hard.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Like most rebalance mods for strategy games, that looks like it's 1/3rd great ideas that would help a lot, 1/3 tweaks that just make the game different and not any better or worse, and 1/3rd terrible ideas that will torpedo any good the rest of the mod does.

I do think granting free walls with the palace and not allowing settlers to be captured would do a lot to improve the difficulty of the game. After dozens of hours I've come to the conclusion that Emperor or Immortal are actually more difficult than Deity. It's so incredibly easy to steal settlers and snipe capitals early, to the point that the AI difficulty bonuses are basically player bonuses. I'm in the middle of an Aztec game where I already have 7 large cities with multiple districts in 2000 BC because Russia kept spamming settlers and marching them straight to my Eagle Warriors.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"Oh man, all of the world's [strategic resource] is under my ally's civ. Do I . . . attack them? Provoke them into attacking me? Hope we remain buddies, so they'll keep letting me use them?" is one of the most interesting and key decisions in the game. Earlier, you can just hope you get the key strategic resource of a later era, but once oil and coal and aluminum appear, waiting isn't an option.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Weird question, but I find myself with a lot of time with only access to my laptop. If I run Civ 6 in strategy mode, does that give me any graphical performance increases at all?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Target Practice posted:

Weird question, but I find myself with a lot of time with only access to my laptop. If I run Civ 6 in strategy mode, does that give me any graphical performance increases at all?

Yea it should since it isn't rendering any of the other graphical novelties. Though it'll still be pretty slow since it's a cpu-bound game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

when i meet ai it's because they declared joint war on me thanks game

No, seriously, this off-the-rails aggro AI is cool and honestly makes for an interesting game... if one or two out of eight to ten AI players have it, not goddamn everyone. Like, Montezuma or Hojo should be making the other players diplomacy extremely wary of them because they're always asking to do joint wars against the player (and only ever against you, I've seriously seen the AI declare war on each other maybe one tenth as many times as I've received DoW and not even once in my most recent game) to the point where eventually, everyone should just start offering you to joint DoW them for their own safety.

of course, thanks to the garbage swiss cheese logic gates in the diplomacy in this game, you'd accept their joint war and then they'd denounce for you declaring war on someone

when i, of all people, can honestly say that i could cook a tighter diplo ai than what we have right now... holy poo poo your ai has major loving problems
And of course what really helps is that they've gotten rid of the leader flavor attribute numbers so you can't even do some simple monkeying around with xml files to see if you help the leaders act even the slightest bit more realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homullus posted:

"Oh man, all of the world's [strategic resource] is under my ally's civ. Do I . . . attack them? Provoke them into attacking me? Hope we remain buddies, so they'll keep letting me use them?" is one of the most interesting and key decisions in the game.

Answer: the AI is a schizophrenic, suicidal mess of frayed and hosed logic. It isn't a question of provoking them, or maintaining an army or whatever; it's a question of when it will flip out that you have a unit walking on a tile it has vision on and denounces you as a lead-up to total war. Just wipe 'em out now, save you the trouble of competing for suzerain status.