Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

My local Walmart has the 2ds, should I get one

Do you plan on playing Xenoblade, the two Warriors games, or anything that uses a second stick?

If no then sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Beastie posted:

No one loving cares about competitive Smash.

God drat, you people are like the 14 year olds loitering in front of the Wii U display at Gamestop.

Melee has been ruining my local FGC annual tournament. Like seriously stop loitering in the venue hallways by the dozens with your makeshift portable setups and your obnoxious popoffs and your sour milk body odor

Seriously, every last outlet in every last hallway last year was occupied by a GameCube, a lovely little CRT, and a dozen people with little to no social grace who needed to bathe.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I played the very first one on 64 when I was 12 and never cared for the others. My friends and I played Rockband/Guitar Hero and Mario Kart in college.

All I hear about Smash nowadays is endless bickering and what appears to be an extremely toxic community.

Also the kids that loiter at Gamestop.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Nolgthorn posted:

Niche market. If you're one of 4 people in the world that still needs a wired lan to saturate bandwidth you'll pay for it dammit.

$29.99 auch

lol

Yeah have fun playing spandex kid goo fest with everyone on their lovely wireless routers. After you pay money for the privilege of course.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 worked really well over wifi and I rarely had any connection issues. I had way more problems trying to use Netflix on the Wii U, I don't know if that was a Nintendo or a Netflix issue but it would work for like a week and then never connect so we ended up buying a roku. And now all of the TVs we have are smart TVs so we don't even need the roku.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol

Yeah have fun playing spandex kid goo fest with everyone on their lovely wireless routers. After you pay money for the privilege of course.
Given how the netcode works in splatoon it's already a Quake style LPB vs HPB so I get to :smug: all over the dumbasses who rely on wireless.

Cept everyone I play in S/S+ rank is in japan so the joke is on me :smith:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you wanna smash you can come to my house, I'll even give you the good controller

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Cancel all further smash development and just make Air Ride 2 thanks

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Subspace Emissairy Ride

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Beastie posted:

No one loving cares about competitive Smash.

Over 100,000 people watched the Melee finals at EVO, so you're actually wrong.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I ended up buying it because there was another guy looking at. There were two, we each bought one. Not entirely sure I want to keep it. I mostly want to play those gameboy zelda games and check out Link Between Worlds.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

100,000 people isn't actually a lot TaurusOxford

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm going to bet that 10 of those 100,000 are functioning adults.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Let people who would go to or watch a fighting game tournament have their fun. Just please stop sexually assaulting people, thank you.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

I ended up buying it because there was another guy looking at. There were two, we each bought one. Not entirely sure I want to keep it. I mostly want to play those gameboy zelda games and check out Link Between Worlds.

Please also play Phantom Hourglass, the best Zelda, if you haven't already!

Also the 2/3DS has a really deep library of good games please enjoy it to it's fullest but also enjoy it responsibly

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol

I imagine it's less lovely routers and more everyone going to trendy roof parties living in apartments, resulting in there being 6 routers within range of each other and competing to communicate on the same radio band.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jimmy Hats posted:

Please also play Phantom Hourglass, the best Zelda, if you haven't already!

Also the 2/3DS has a really deep library of good games please enjoy it to it's fullest but also enjoy it responsibly

How does 2d handle the part where you need to close the screen?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beastie posted:

I played the very first one on 64 when I was 12 and never cared for the others. My friends and I played Rockband/Guitar Hero and Mario Kart in college.

All I hear about Smash nowadays is endless bickering and what appears to be an extremely toxic community.

Also the kids that loiter at Gamestop.

The only "community" I really care about are the ten or so people that play at my house occasionally. Why would what some asshat on YouTube does affect your enjoyment of the game?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheKingofSprings posted:

100,000 people isn't actually a lot TaurusOxford

What's the average for most sporting events?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
100.000 really isn't that much even if you're just counting ~esports~

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

What's the average for most sporting events?

Well, the Stanley cup playoffs get about 1.3 million in Canada alone, so...a lot?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

There's a sleep button or slider or something.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oceanhorn coming to switch? What is this, a windwaker clone?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

The 2DS just has a button for "close screen" on it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone know if I totally need a screen protector for the 2DS? I got one for my DSLite because the touch screen on that is plastic and can scratch to hell and back. Is it safe on the 2DS or should I get a screen protector?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Phimosissy posted:

it's inspired by it, in the same vein Banjo Kazooie is inspired by Mario 64.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, the Stanley cup playoffs get about 1.3 million in Canada alone, so...a lot?

That's really not to bad for a fledgling medium. Streaming's only been a "thing" for half a decade.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Phimosissy posted:

Kinda, it's like Wind Waker if it was an overhead 2D game since everything it's made in blocks and tiles. It's really not that good though.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Why do people like Smash anyhow they are sloppy as poo poo fighters that scrape by on offering Nintendo dorks the chance to battle their favorite characters together.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Why do people like Smash anyhow they are sloppy as poo poo fighters that scrape by on offering Nintendo dorks the chance to battle their favorite characters together.

Because Melee isn't sloppy, incredibly tight and has Marvel vs. Capcom 2 levels of technique and input actions at a high level?

Not so much for the rest of the games though.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Why do people like Smash

fat bossy gerbil posted:

offering Nintendo dorks the chance to battle their favorite characters together.

Also they're fighting games with a low barrier to entry, so they're great for groups of people to play regardless of prior experience with the genre.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I dunno, Smash games are pretty unique with ease of controls/moves and fun specials and items. :shrug:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's really not to bad for a fledgling medium. Streaming's only been a "thing" for half a decade.

The CSGO major final yesterday was watched by 1.3 million people online. 100k watching Smash really is nothing, even for a "fledgling medium".

Also, from my very uninformed point of view it seems that EVO drama has nothing to do with how good/bad a game is and everything to do with how garbage fighting game communities apparently are?!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fat bossy gerbil posted:

LOL

no wait, why do people like fun and enjoy different things? Like, when you really think about it man

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

s.i.r.e. posted:

Because Melee isn't sloppy

I don't agree with bringing up fighting games in the same conversation as Smash games, but since that's apparently what's happening: Compared to actual fighting games, Smash (including Melee) is sloppy as poo poo. DI, analogue movement, air acceleration and idiotic hitbox mechanics, among other factors, contribute to making it feel nauseatingly nondeterministic, even if it technically isn't.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

I don't agree with bringing up fighting games in the same conversation as Smash games, but since that's apparently what's happening: Compared to actual fighting games, Smash (including Melee) is sloppy as poo poo. DI, analogue movement, air acceleration and idiotic hitbox mechanics, among other factors, contribute to making it feel nauseatingly nondeterministic, even if it technically isn't.

yeah but is it fun?

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
:yeah:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

the words you're looking for are "depth" and "counterplay"

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

silph co, max item spawn rate, only pokeballs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

To who, you? Or everyone that plays?

I want to know what an "actual fighting game" is. tia

• Locked thread