Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've read that Moore interview before. The man's a genius and BSG is a masterpiece.

I've gotten to the Voyager section of the book now and things are delicious. I knew my boy Beltran wouldn't disappoint with the sass. But holy Jesus I had no idea how Tom Petty Mulgrew was against Jeri Ryan. Trying to stop her having bathroom breaks? Trying to keep her in her heels all day? What a loving baby. Just nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tried to find Tasha Yar bimbo'd out. Instead found Seven of Nine looking like she should have been the entire series.

Guess Voyager didn't have those outfits. Another failing of Voyager. Once they reconnected with the Alpha Quadrant they could have sent them the new replicator designs. It's not like there were any actual shortages of resources or any hint they were lost in space after season 2.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 30, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I thought Seven was technically a 'crewman'. Maybe that outfit they made her wear was just a way the Federation had to shame non-officers and set them apart from everyone else.

That's the real reason for the uniform changes in DS9. O'Brien was going to have to wear that skinsuit and while everyone would have found it amusing, they also would have found it disgusting and immediately suggested upgrade to the new style that bypassed that crewman wardrobe option. It was worse than that short-lived man dress era.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JediTalentAgent posted:

I thought Seven was technically a 'crewman'. Maybe that outfit they made her wear was just a way the Federation had to shame non-officers and set them apart from everyone else.

That's the real reason for the uniform changes in DS9. O'Brien was going to have to wear that skinsuit and while everyone would have found it amusing, they also would have found it disgusting and immediately suggested upgrade to the new style that bypassed that crewman wardrobe option. It was worse than that short-lived man dress era.

Obrien was also the cause of the end of the man dress era.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's really sad how every eye-candy woman they add to trek they always have to put in some ridiculous special "attention nerds, this is the official female we put on the show for you to look at" outfit, but every time they put them in a standard uniform or something less ridiculous they look way way better. But they never learn.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baronjutter posted:

It's really sad how every eye-candy woman they add to trek they always have to put in some ridiculous special "attention nerds, this is the official female we put on the show for you to look at" outfit, but every time they put them in a standard uniform or something less ridiculous they look way way better. But they never learn.

They clearly did with Next Gen! :v:

I liked that they concealed it with Jelico telling Troi to put on a goddamn uniform and she simply never changed back afterwards.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Good thing they learned their lesson with Troi and carried that over to Seven and T'Pol.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Good thing they learned their lesson with Troi and carried that over to Seven and T'Pol.

Even when T'Pol joined Starfleet.

"Should we give her a uniform now?"

"gently caress no. Give Jolene a shiny new bodysuit with a Starfleet patch on the shoulder!"

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Part of star treks charm is it was produced by incompetent creepy weirdos.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I liked that they concealed it with Jelico telling Troi to put on a goddamn uniform and she simply never changed back afterwards.

If only they'd found something to do with the character instead of having her hanging around the bridge all day.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Sunswipe posted:

If only they'd found something to do with the character instead of having her hanging around the bridge all day.

They also had her fall in love with a bunch of abusive men.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
She had that good romulan episode I guess

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
She flew the ship that one time

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Romulan episode was like her break-out role where she actually got to do something interesting, but it was a never repeated one-off.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Tried to find Tasha Yar bimbo'd out. Instead found Seven of Nine looking like she should have been the entire series.

all i got is

Baronjutter posted:

And yeah for real though.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

JediTalentAgent posted:

There was the other option of one of Wesley's gentle sweaters

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

There was the other option of one of Wesley's gentle sweaters

Sweater of Nine

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

JediTalentAgent posted:

Doesn't add up to me. Why did they put all the Maquis in uniform then?

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
a ready made system of tictac-based rank insignia that is used sometimes and not others

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Doesn't add up to me. Why did they put all the Maquis in uniform then?

Because starfleet uniforms have odor-busting nano particles that you are going to wrap the Maquis in once you start sharing a life support system with them.

What I'm saying is they inhabit two kinds of badlands.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

counterfeitsaint posted:

There's a ton of damning comments about Berman from basically everyone else involved in Star Trek. Has he ever tried to refute or respond to some of this stuff, or is his head too far up his rear end to notice? I'd like to hear what he has to say, especially about Moore's comments, especially now, after BSG has been so successful and serialized dramas are the norm.

I loaned my books out, but there's at least a couple of quotes of him bitching about how he thought the writers griping about him were full of bullshit or something.

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Guess Voyager didn't have those outfits. Another failing of Voyager. Once they reconnected with the Alpha Quadrant they could have sent them the new replicator designs. It's not like there were any actual shortages of resources or any hint they were lost in space after season 2.

Part of it might well have been money - they already had a big stock of DS9/Voyager jumpsuits, and putting everyone in the movie/DS9 gray suits would have necessitated making custom new uniforms for the main cast.

Another part of it might have been that I'm not sure the movie/DS9 costumes concealed tubby guts very well - there's a part in Fifty Year Mission where Garrett Wang says like three or four of the male co-stars each put on like twenty pounds by season 5 or so, and how the writers put in at least a couple of jabs at them in the script about it. (some scene where Harry and Tom are climbing some cliff or something, and one of them says "remind me to work out more" or something like that...?) Wang says he called Braga about it saying "lol what is this" and Braga came back with "you guys keep it up and we'll rename this show Pigs In Space!"

Also, it would have represented change, and they couldn't have that. Bryan Fuller said the writers all wanted Seven of Nine's transition out of being a full Borg to be much more gradual, but there was big pressure to pretty much immediately "get into the syndication pattern".

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eh, she's seen in her old jumpsuits at least a couple of times while off duty post-Chain of Command.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I loaned my books out, but there's at least a couple of quotes of him bitching about how he thought the writers griping about him were full of bullshit or something.

Part of it might well have been money - they already had a big stock of DS9/Voyager jumpsuits, and putting everyone in the movie/DS9 gray suits would have necessitated making custom new uniforms for the main cast.

Another part of it might have been that I'm not sure the movie/DS9 costumes concealed tubby guts very well - there's a part in Fifty Year Mission where Garrett Wang says like three or four of the male co-stars each put on like twenty pounds by season 5 or so, and how the writers put in at least a couple of jabs at them in the script about it. (some scene where Harry and Tom are climbing some cliff or something, and one of them says "remind me to work out more" or something like that...?) Wang says he called Braga about it saying "lol what is this" and Braga came back with "you guys keep it up and we'll rename this show Pigs In Space!"

Also, it would have represented change, and they couldn't have that. Bryan Fuller said the writers all wanted Seven of Nine's transition out of being a full Borg to be much more gradual, but there was big pressure to pretty much immediately "get into the syndication pattern".

Eh, she's seen in her old jumpsuits at least a couple of times while off duty post-Chain of Command.

Pretty sure the different uniforms thing was to keep the two shows visually distinct while they were simultaneously on the air.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
theres coffee in those uniforms

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

drilldo squirt posted:

It's a cycle that feeds itself. Eventually the fans become the producers. Star Trek is an Ouroboros.

edit: Actually I can't back that up. I don't think a Star Trek was ever made by people who watched Star Trek. Was Rick Berman a fan?

edit edit: Oh yeah there were those fan episodes. Anybody ever watch those?

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 31, 2017

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

A lot of the higher ups were not fans of the original. Rick Berman, Jeri Taylor and I think Michael Piller weren't. I'm just reading about Voyager and they kept coming up with story ideas only to be told the original series had done it first. I mean, come on. Know your loving product.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

To be honest TOS offers and offered nothing to anyone looking to make a TV show or movie. You basically start at star trek 2 and work forward. I love DS9 and a fair bit of TNG but lol at the idea of having any respect for that shlocky original series'. There's cool episodes but it's a pretty bad show and i don't blame the show runners for not watching it, neither should you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

basic hitler posted:

To be honest TOS offers and offered nothing to anyone looking to make a TV show or movie. You basically start at star trek 2 and work forward. I love DS9 and a fair bit of TNG but lol at the idea of having any respect for that shlocky original series'. There's cool episodes but it's a pretty bad show and i don't blame the show runners for not watching it, neither should you.

Are you kidding? It's a rich mine of meaningless continuity.

All you have to do is mention that someone won the Zee-Magnees Prize, or had lost family on Tarsus IV, and the fans would have a nerdgasm.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Pigs in Space fits right in with the Troi/7o9/T'Pol costumery discussion.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Yo Phlox is pretty rad you guys.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yo Phlox is pretty rad you guys.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Aside from TNG, the Doctors are all really interesting characters.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

VideoGames posted:

Aside from TNG, the Doctors are all really interesting characters.

The doctor who was only in Season 2 was pretty great because she was this smug old lady that constantly gave picard, riker and data poo poo.

STAR TREK DOCTOR POWER RANKING
1- Bashir w/ Miles
2- Phlox
3- Bones
4- Bashir before Miles (AKA Blue Balls Bashir)
5- That Hologram
6- TNG Season 2 Golden Girls guest spot.
7- Dr. Crusher in a normal episode
8- Bashir Spy Mode
9- Bashir Mutant Crybaby
100- Dr. Crusher in a Dr. Crusher episode.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

i like to think the decon gel was just phlox trying to instigate interspecies mating

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
From what I understand, Ronald Moore got involved in Star Trek by sending in a fan script, which was apparently a real thing that happened in the 80s. So it's safe to assume he was fond of the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Timeless;

The entire cast mysteriously gains the power to actually emote through the presence of a guest director. Voyager has suddenly spent "months of work" building a slipstream drive core that doesn't work properly and causes the ship to crash, killing everyone on a frozen moon upon impact, due to Harry Kim's incompetence.

Nobody remembers the time they fudged a fully-functional Slipstream drive with nothing but minor modifications to their existing engines.

counterfeitsaint posted:

From what I understand, Ronald Moore got involved in Star Trek by sending in a fan script, which was apparently a real thing that happened in the 80s. So it's safe to assume he was fond of the show.

More than a few scripts in major 80's and 90's TV shows were ones sent in by fans. There's more than a handful in ST:TNG alone, iirc.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

There were too many Alamo references for it to have been coincidental.

I guess it fits. A fort out at the rear end end of nowhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
"Well we only knocked off ten years with our short flight in Slipstream before we got thrown out by those dodgy phase variance values, but the drive's clearly a failure and we'll have to dismantle the entire thing and never speak of it again."

"What do you mean, 'short bursts?' That's silly, you're silly."

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The doctor who was only in Season 2 was pretty great because she was this smug old lady that constantly gave picard, riker and data poo poo.

STAR TREK DOCTOR POWER RANKING
1- Bashir w/ Miles
2- Phlox
3- Bones
4- Bashir before Miles (AKA Blue Balls Bashir)
5- That Hologram
6- TNG Season 2 Golden Girls guest spot.
7- Dr. Crusher in a normal episode
8- Bashir Spy Mode
9- Bashir Mutant Crybaby
100- Dr. Crusher in a Dr. Crusher episode.

yeah dr pulaski was way way better than crusher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pulaski owned. Hard-drinking, android-hating a-hole that got the job done dammit.