Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Jaipur, Schotten Totten/Battleline, and Patchwork are like the perfect 2 player triumvirate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
What about Targi? I've had my eye on that one though it's been out of print for awhile (gently caress you z-man)

Jaipur is on my list to get, just waiting for another CSI order when I just need a little extra to get the free shipping :toot:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Targi's been on my want to play list for a long time. Always heard great things.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
this list is missing tash-kalar. Try it on board game arena.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I like Jaipur a lot after one play, it has a good tension to it.

It's a great little game.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

sorry but weve got a devils carcut in my mind kjddmf

sasfgdggde4eagh

/weed
skljfkliawshgs
w.s
';ahsg
sdklgjhdkfhgakldhfgkdfjhgadf

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Booyah- posted:

sorry but weve got a devils carcut in my mind kjddmf

skendhanow lsnr: lisntedn:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

sector_corrector posted:

I'm considering Two Rooms and a Boom. Any thoughts on it? I think a general player count would be like 6 or 7, typically.

I've played it before with 6-8 and it doesn't really work very well. Resistance Avalon is similar and perfect at those player counts, though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Aston posted:

I've played it before with 6-8 and it doesn't really work very well. Resistance Avalon is similar and perfect at those player counts, though.

The game really needs 11+ to shine. It also needs players to really buy into the premise or else it kinda crumbles. What I mean is if the players don't "get it" and just freely reveal who they are to everyone all the time the game is just boring.

It can work with 6-7 but it really is a big party game.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Xaris posted:

What about Targi? I've had my eye on that one though it's been out of print for awhile (gently caress you z-man)

Jaipur is on my list to get, just waiting for another CSI order when I just need a little extra to get the free shipping :toot:

Targi is a cool little 2p worker placement game. It has an interesting mechanic where you place multiple workers around the outside of a square grid, thereby choosing a row or column of that grid. You "activate" the spots on the grid where your rows and columns intersect. Try it free on bga if you want to see if it's for you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

From a few pages ago and I can't find the post now but to the guy whose GF doesn't like Tash-Kalar due to the abstract spatial reasoning: that is so sad, T-K is great. If she's ever willing to give it a shot again really emphasize that take-backs are allowed and encouraged by the rules - one of my friends is also not-great at spatial reasoning stuff but holds his own and enjoys the game just by periodically admitting that he hosed up his turn and doing it over.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Tash-Kalar also gets points for being the only fantasy themed board game in existence to do asymmetric factions that aren't
derivative variations on warhammer or tolkien-style fluff/mechanics pairings.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
This is cool:

quote:

Capstone Games and Quined Games are proud to announce they have entered into a partnership agreement where Capstone Games will distribute all new and future Quined Games products throughout North America. This partnership will make available the board games offered by Quined Games more accessible in the retail and online hobby stores throughout North America.

The first titles scheduled to be available are Carson City: Big Box and American Rails followed by Vanuatu, Papa Paolo, and La Cosa Nostra later this year. Dates of availability will be announced in the coming weeks.

Capstone Games and Quined Games have enjoyed working together on a previous project featuring a reprint of Haspelknecht in 2016. Capstone and Quined also teamed up for the expansion, Haspelknecht: The Ruhr Valley, which is slated for release in April 2017.

Capstone also did the Arkwright reprint and they're doing Three Kingdoms in March.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 30, 2017

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Oh I've been thinking of picking up three kingdoms! I always play games with three so it seems ideal for my group.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Impermanent posted:

Tash-Kalar also gets points for being the only fantasy themed board game in existence to do asymmetric factions that aren't
derivative variations on warhammer or tolkien-style fluff/mechanics pairings.

Yes definitely. My one wish is that red and blue were slightly different or else they had a fifth (fourth really) main set faction, but otherwise he did a really good job making different factions that play their theme incredibly well while being really unique designs.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm at a point where I generally know my last few cards by the time I get to them because I always play red/blue, but that makes it so much more interesting when my opponent uses some crazy summon from green or yellow to throw a curveball my way. I can't wait to try out the other factions but I'm really comfortable with red/blue right now. Knowing what's left in your deck at the end is so key to pulling off last-second Task grabs in the final round.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

food court bailiff posted:

I'm at a point where I generally know my last few cards by the time I get to them because I always play red/blue, but that makes it so much more interesting when my opponent uses some crazy summon from green or yellow to throw a curveball my way. I can't wait to try out the other factions but I'm really comfortable with red/blue right now. Knowing what's left in your deck at the end is so key to pulling off last-second Task grabs in the final round.

White is definitely my favorite deck for the way you can set up mega-turns with frozen powers from previous turns. Black is really crazy, and I still don't really understand that deck compared to all the other colors. Of course, I haven't played with Nethervoid nearly as much as with the other decks, to the point where I don't remember the identities of Black's legend-killer cards.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 30, 2017

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

silvergoose posted:

Okay going back to my Feast question...what are some openings, solo, that *don't* involve Iceland, a longboat, pillaging the chalice, filling Iceland?

I read your post the other day and played a solo game with the idea in mind of doing the strategy you said to see if I could break 125 points.

My starting occupation card ended up being Iron Smith, and when I looked it up in the appendix, Uwe specifically put in a tip to "get the ore on your home board ASAP!"

I thought about it for like five minutes, because I convinced myself to ignore occupation cards--or at least NEVER base an opening strategy around them. I decided, like an idiot, to try it anyway instead of doing the thing that you said.

It completely bit me on the rear end, and rushing that ore spot cost me so much more value than what I gained from the card itself throughout the game. I'm very convinced now that, at least in a solo game (but probably also in multiplayer) that doing anything on your home board besides rushing 2-income is a total trap. There's no reason as far as I can tell in a solo game to not just grab Iceland early and do that instead of the home board.

I really do kind of wish that the home board were not a trap. Something about that makes the design of the game feel weaker to me. If I teach this game to people, it's bad enough that I'd probably have to stress "You really want to explore because the home board is a weak value."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

golden bubble posted:

White is definitely my favorite deck for the way you can set up mega-turns with frozen powers from previous turns. Black is really crazy, and I still don't really understand that deck compared to all the other colors. Of course, I haven't played with Nethervoid nearly as much as with the other decks, to the point where I don't remember the identities of Black's legend-killer cards.

Yeah, the expansion decks are awesome as gently caress. I want more. The vanilla decks include two of the same to keep the game a classic abstract for those that want symmetry, which is a smart move IMO. From the product page:

quote:

From this time also comes the decision to have two identical Imperial decks. The game core was playtested a lot with symmetrical decks, and we felt we would be missing this. It was a pleasure to watch people playing for the first time, starting to recognize patterns of enemy pieces that match the cards they have already played themselves, and starting to realize the opponent may have the same card they just summoned with a devastating effect. (I still remember a great deathmatch duel between two Canadian girls in April. :)

So this is why we duplicated the Imperial deck and recommended it for the first plays. And although it may look weird (or at least unconventional) to some players, I am happy with that. Different decks are just, you know, different decks. We may add some later anyway. Playing Empire vs. Empire feels different from playing with different decks. So for me, personally, the option to play a symmetrical game adds to the variety more than one extra deck. And we were able to balance the decks better.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
We're about to start May in the Pandemic: Legacy campaign. Lots of surprises to come yet.

Click here to sign up. The CDC needs you.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 30, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

food court bailiff posted:

From a few pages ago and I can't find the post now but to the guy whose GF doesn't like Tash-Kalar due to the abstract spatial reasoning: that is so sad, T-K is great. If she's ever willing to give it a shot again really emphasize that take-backs are allowed and encouraged by the rules - one of my friends is also not-great at spatial reasoning stuff but holds his own and enjoys the game just by periodically admitting that he hosed up his turn and doing it over.

That was me, but yes we'll give it another shot. I let her have redos. I think she was getting frustrated she can't make out the patterns and figure out how/where to activate them and plan and stuff, especially when the board gets fairly filled up.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

THE BIG REVEAL happened in April, but there are lots of surprises to come yet.

I've already hit this but others may want you to spoiler this so they don't know specifically when this happens, yeah?

Also the topic you link to has a complete playthrough and isn't the specific spoilers topic, that almost spoiled part of the game for me, just so you know.

silvergoose posted:

Okay going back to my Feast question...what are some openings, solo, that *don't* involve Iceland, a longboat, pillaging the chalice, filling Iceland?

If I don't have a clear strategy right from the get-go I'll usually go...

1. 1-viking hunting game(this strategy only works if you succeed, so we'll assume you did...)
2. 1-viking flax -> bolt of cloth
3. 2-viking fur + bolt of cloth -> robe and 2 silver

...then you have two spare vikings to do with what you will; that strategy will get your homeboard to 2-income in the first step, and usually that's about as much homeboard income-diagonal strategy I go for. I usually will snag the ore bonus relatively early on as well since it only requires 5 spaces.

AFfO Megathread/Solo Challenge topic coming tonight! I told my girlfriend to remind(and make sure I do it tonight!) me to get on that, so we'll have our own dedicated topic to nerd out about Vikings and beans and how the homeboard is a pile of doodoo.

I played a few solo games last week and realized how drat out of practice I am! I didn't think a like, ~2.5 week break would have me this rusty but blech. On the BGG solo challenges I got like, 8X as my highest score :cry:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I love the Hoghland deck in TK: it works well with my style of play because I'm a.very positional player. The friend I play with is a combo-obsessed player so his strongest is White because of the way frozen cards interact.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So I just bought Eminent Domain and Escalation. Is the proper teaching strategy base game with tech/errata, then add fleet/new tech/scenarios?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

angel opportunity posted:

I really do kind of wish that the home board were not a trap. Something about that makes the design of the game feel weaker to me. If I teach this game to people, it's bad enough that I'd probably have to stress "You really want to explore because the home board is a weak value."

Uwe is a little cruel like that in his design I think. He will teach you how to play the game in the instruction book, but he will not teach you how to play it properly. It's like the Build Fences action in Agricola. The space comes out early, tempting you to use it, but its a trap that will eat up all of your wood and prevent you from building more houses for Family Growth. I am constantly reminding new Agricola players not to touch the fences space until later, because the game itself gives you no indication that this should be done.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Johnny Truant posted:

I've already hit this but others may want you to spoiler this so they don't know specifically when this happens, yeah?
Fair enough, removed.

Johnny Truant posted:

Also the topic you link to has a complete playthrough and isn't the specific spoilers topic, that almost spoiled part of the game for me, just so you know.

Kinda the point, it's a recruitment post for an already in progress PbP game. :shrug:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
In Feast for Odin it seems to me that the home board is essentially a kind of minimum diversity/infrastructure hurdle. Like, anyone can churn and convert tiles to lay them down on poo poo but you need to at least take care of "this stuff" (and it's the same for everyone) before your points really start counting. And doing so is a balancing act between building income & bonuses vs covering negatives. Islands are a voluntary acceptance of more of the same, basically when you explore you're betting with yourself that you can manage things well enough to be a net positive. (And the later the island, the more they are more immediately and obviously useful vs needing managed investment to be worth it.)

Large amounts of silver income (except for non negotiables like emigration cost) seems to mostly be a form of fudge factor, the more you can do without it and deal directly with goods the bigger your potential to pull ahead but the more rope you have to hang yourself if you get it wrong. Silver income feels a little bit like storage in Antiquity (for those who don't know, in Antiquity your goods DO NOT carry over from turn to turn without storage, but if you can manage your production and your consumption such that it just works out anyway then you're one up on anyone who doesn't. But it's easier to gently caress up and if you do you're screwed.)

Side note: being first to purchase special tile goods looks pretty nice in most of our games, because you can buy up to two things -- snagging the beads (zero cost) and one of the large tiles that cost only 1 or 2 costs you very little and gets you a ton of coverage. But the smaller tiles are more expensive later (but can come in handy to cover awkward areas I guess.) The point is that the value of raiding, pillaging, purchasing, or even forging is relative to what's available so even if you have a lock on pillaging or trading, at some point you need to draw the line as to what is worth your time.

Another thing is that there is a weird kind of devaluing of some things as the game goes on that I haven't fully wrapped my head around yet. I think there is a form of indirect inflation in the game.

On one hand you can think of things that happen once per turn (income, bonus, animal breeding, some actions, etc) as happening at a consistent rate. Or, you can think of your first turn being "six workers long", your second turn is "seven workers long", etc. So if you think of your turns in terms of number of workers you deploy (who allow more work to be done but also need to be fed...) then things you're used to thinking of as happening at a consistent rate (like animal breeding or income) are actually growing more infrequent as time goes on. I haven't really fully thought this out yet but since this is a game of tempo and some things happen per turn and some things happen per worker(s) I think I'm onto something that could help me play better.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 30, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
All this Feast chat makes me kind of glad it's out of stock now. Not really sure I want it anymore since it doesn't sounds a bit off... Plus I haven't dwelved much into the full power of Agricola yet anyways.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Xaris posted:

the full power of Agricola yet anyways.

the full power of agricola is pain and sadness and wasted time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xaris posted:

All this Feast chat makes me kind of glad it's out of stock now. Not really sure I want it anymore since it doesn't sounds a bit off... Plus I haven't dwelved much into the full power of Agricola yet anyways.

Agricola always feels like you're riding the trough of success's wave, whereas AFfO often feels like you're riding the crest.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Xaris posted:

If you like sending Vikings to do work to get tiles and play tetris with those tiles to get scoring and cover up negatives, you'll probably enjoy it regardless :yayclod:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Archenteron posted:

So I just bought Eminent Domain and Escalation. Is the proper teaching strategy base game with tech/errata, then add fleet/new tech/scenarios?

I think our manual suggested the first game with no research or technology cards, which is definitely simpler but also less fun. Maybe only play that way until you have the mechanics down and not all the way to the end. We played several rounds of the base game before adding everything from Escalation and that worked well for us.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

People who have played A Feast for Odin would know better than I would, but my first impression is that the game presents many options, but in reality there are not many at a given phase of the game. Like, there's lots of bits and chits, and slightly-differentiated goods, but I think that complexity may be illusory. There are a ton of actions, but your decision space in the round is pretty limited - you're almost never going to spend 4 vikings unless you have to, and you're probably not even glancing at half the horizontal rows on a given turn. A resource that is a slightly different shape makes a difference in how it gets placed, but . . . you're probably not going to choose your actions based on those tiny differences, are you? You're going to choose your actions for other reasons (viking cost, your level of boat and weapon preparation) and fudge those small differences in resource size with silver. So the resources really could have been fewer different sizes and shapes. The game is the most flexible and forgiving Rosenberg game I've played. Really, most of your play is determined by 1) the weapons you get, 2) what other people do before you. Occupations could make a big difference in some edge cases.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Forbidden Stars just arrived in the mail. Jesus this thing is massive. :stare:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

Forbidden Stars just arrived in the mail. Jesus this thing is massive. :stare:

Welcome to the best game of the last two years

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Why Is PETA Asking Games Workshop to Make Warhammer Fur-Free?

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Because the worst thing to take as a model for real life from an IP about a theocratic fascist empire genociding entire planets and fighting literal evil gods, is the fact that some of their fascist werewolf super soldiers wear pelts of the giant monster wolves they kill. GW has an obligation to protect the lives of fictional plastic monster wolves from harm!

"Indeed, nothing on the bloody battlefields of Warhammer’s conflict-ravaged universe could match the terrible reality that foxes, minks, rabbits, and other living beings experience at the hands of the fur trade" is the best thing I've read all day. :allears:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

PETA has become such a good barometer for who in my life actually values animals and animal rights issues and who is bugfucking crazy.

From the chat in this thread it sounds like I should get the expansion for T-K, right? Is it just new faction decks?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
there are two, each is a new deck, they are both excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WE RIDE
Jul 29, 2003
Had a nice afternoon's gaming yesterday.

Started off with a quick game of Citadels, which is a nice, light little game, reminded me of Love Letter quite a lot. But the real meat was my first go at playing New Angeles. It was a 4-player game, and 3 of us are keen Netrunner players, which made it extra engaging for us, I think. I played Globalsec with Jinteki as my rival. Overall, I really liked it! The varying levels of strategy & tactics going on mean that it can be a bit of a brain-burner, but it's thematic and exciting enough to not feel like a slog (the game took us over 3 hours but it didn't especially feel like it). I think one issue was that one player was the federalist - after the point where she "announced" herself, the game actually got a lot more boring for her: she was never going to have her counter-proposals taken up, her proposals would never be voted for, etc. So even though the rest of us got more involved and co-operative at that point, for her it fell slightly flat.

That little gripe aside, I did really enjoy the game, and it was awesome to play a board game in the home of the Beanstalk, and see Victoria Jenkins, Elizabeth Mills, Jackson Howard et al in a different game!