Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kraps posted:

What are you talking about

You're not familiar with facetiousness, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

java posted:

So maybe this is a bit pedestrian, but I really enjoyed the audiobook version of Michael Crichton's "Andromeda Strain." For very similar reasons, I also deeply enjoyed the first few chapters of The Stand. Based on these two data points, can anyone make any recommendations for other books I should check out?

Crichton has several books that I remember liking a lot when I was younger. Andromeda Strain and Sphere being the two I liked most, so maybe try Sphere.

If it's body/disease specifically you want, Asimov's Fantastic Voyage 2: Destination Brain is actually very good.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, don't let the movie sour you on Sphere, it's pretty good.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Just finished red rising. Good story and amazing narration. Highly recommended.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ SEquel is pretty good as well. I've tried twice to listen to all 3 in a row and keep wandering off but it may be because I've gto a lot of studying right now.

Mister Macys posted:

Yeah, don't let the movie sour you on Sphere, it's pretty good.
Yeah, the movie sucks. If you liked Sphere you'll probably like Scott Sigler's Earthcore. Much less navel gazing and a lot more action.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 16, 2017

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Mister Macys posted:

You're not familiar with facetiousness, are you?

You can never be too careful.

Lock In was good but I think my favorite part was the oral history of the outbreak. The audio format is perfect for that style and is partly why WWZ is a brilliant listen as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'm very rarely not trying to be a joker, even when I'm factual. :buddy:

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
I just finished the audiobook of "The Underground Railroad." The book itself is great and recommended reading (or listening) but I'm very impressed by the reader Bahni Turpin. She was able to do believable voices without being cartoonish and her pacing was wonderful.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Just finished listening to Hop on Pop and boy are my ears tired, from so much reading

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

coyo7e posted:

^^^ SEquel is pretty good as well. I've tried twice to listen to all 3 in a row and keep wandering off but it may be because I've gto a lot of studying right now.

Holy loving hell does that second book end on a sour note. What a great hook to book 3.

Emphasising my previous recommendation, this series is brilliant.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Audible's "send an audiobook to a friend" feature is just wonderful for sharing book recs.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Senerio posted:

Audible's "send an audiobook to a friend" feature is just wonderful for sharing book recs.
Apologies for the lazy "would you mind doing the walking for me?" post, but honestly... Would someone who's familiar with this feature and knows how to use it, just give a rundown of how it works and how you make it work? It sounds cool as poo poo

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Having an unsolicited audiobook sent to me sounds like some kind of nightmare.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

A human heart posted:

Having an unsolicited audiobook sent to me sounds like some kind of nightmare.

You've never had a friend hand you a book and implore you to read it?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I haven't listened to audio books in years and just got 1q84 from audible the other day. I quite like the story, but the narrators are a bit boring.
Can you recommend any audio books with great narration and a great story? Preferably 20hr+.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Sure.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Eezee posted:

I haven't listened to audio books in years and just got 1q84 from audible the other day. I quite like the story, but the narrators are a bit boring.
Can you recommend any audio books with great narration and a great story? Preferably 20hr+.

Any particular genre? The Lies of Locke Lamora series clock in over 20 hours.
I'm listening to the second right now, and it's completely insane.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

11-22-63

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Those both sound pretty good. I wanted to watch the 11-23-63 TV series anyway, might as well listen to the full book. Thank you.

I don't have particular genre preferences as long as the story is suspenseful. Maybe leaning a bit towards SciFi, but anything is fine.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I got Off to Be a Wizard from the free Amazon Prime stuff
http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Off-to-Be-the-Wizard-Audiobook/B00IIS32NI
and love the narrator. The story is pretty fun, too! I'm on the 2nd book now and bought the 3rd (also, the voice for Philip reminds me of Devin Townsend's Ziltoid voice which cracks me up.

He also read Three-body Problem which was an OK book, but I wanted to find more that he narrated. It's interesting how much of a difference it can make. I went through Seveneves last year. The lady narrating had some voices that really annoyed me. I ended up not liking the characters because of it for no reason other than her voice!

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

Are there a lot of deals on the US Audible? Their German website doesn't seem to have any.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I usually get everything through amazon kindle and add the audible narration (whispersync). It's a good bit cheaper than the Audible website. I've got most books I have for less than $10 USD. Not sure if they're US only.

If you can stand reddit, their audiobook group points out deals though it seems some are US only. They had these up recently:
http://audiobookaneers.com/2017/01/...arker-and-more/
and

/r/audiobooks posted:

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/A-Man-Called-Ove-Audiobook/B00MEL8VSG
use the promo "CALLEDOVE1" at checkout. Offer expires 1/31/2017 so hurry!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Catch 22 narrated by Trevor White, he absolutely nailed the pacing which is always the thing people struggle with.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I have Ready Player One on my audible account and I can't make it go away

help

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
If you wanted a long listen, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson is long. I thought the narration was fine, but I'm not a good judge of that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

ElGroucho posted:

I have Ready Player One on my audible account and I can't make it go away

help
Wasn't that narrated by space nerd Wil Wheaton? I thought it was ok what's the problem

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Wasn't that narrated by space nerd Wil Wheaton? I thought it was ok what's the problem

hmm i wonder

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Syrinxx posted:

i'm going to guess that elitist goons only read ~literature~~

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

internet inc posted:

i'm going to guess that elitist goons only read ~literature~~

i dont really understand how 'elitism' could be thought of as bad if it stops people from reading ready player one

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

coyo7e posted:

Apologies for the lazy "would you mind doing the walking for me?" post, but honestly... Would someone who's familiar with this feature and knows how to use it, just give a rundown of how it works and how you make it work? It sounds cool as poo poo

http://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5240/kw/Send%20this%20book

This is the best summary for this. It's straightforward, honestly, if a bit confusing. (Right?-)Click book, Send this Book, and choose a destination.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

A human heart posted:

i dont really understand how 'elitism' could be thought of as bad if it stops people from reading ready player one

I bought it on a recommendation from Audible, listened to about 15 minutes, the pulled a :wtc: and read some reviews, and now it sits in my list, mocking me.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
You can get a refund from Audible quite easily, even if you bought it ages ago.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

I bought it on a recommendation from Audible, listened to about 15 minutes, the pulled a :wtc: and read some reviews, and now it sits in my list, mocking me.
I bought it and couldn't finish it, and yet despite this, in a moment of stupidity I bought Armada, which is like 10 times worse.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Seriously though, if you go into my purchased books you can get a refund with a couple of clicks and the book is gone from your list.

space kobold
Oct 3, 2009

AzureSkys posted:

I got Off to Be a Wizard from the free Amazon Prime stuff
http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fantasy/Off-to-Be-the-Wizard-Audiobook/B00IIS32NI
and love the narrator. The story is pretty fun, too! I'm on the 2nd book now and bought the 3rd (also, the voice for Philip reminds me of Devin Townsend's Ziltoid voice which cracks me up.

He also read Three-body Problem which was an OK book, but I wanted to find more that he narrated. It's interesting how much of a difference it can make. I went through Seveneves last year. The lady narrating had some voices that really annoyed me. I ended up not liking the characters because of it for no reason other than her voice!

If you dig that style of story, I'd entirely recommend We Are Legion (We Are Bob). https://www.amazon.com/Are-Legion-Bob-Bobiverse-Book-ebook/dp/B01LWAESYQ

Its got a similar style of computer programmer/nerd getting put into a bizarre setting and having to deal with it creatively, and is narrated by Ray Porter, one of my favorites. Even if most of the politics are absurd caricatures, it's really rather fun.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Seriously though, if you go into my purchased books you can get a refund with a couple of clicks and the book is gone from your list.

Going to go give this a try, thanks

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Is the version of Dune on Audible any good? I'm hell bent to finish it this year.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EdsTeioh posted:

Is the version of Dune on Audible any good? I'm hell bent to finish it this year.

It's good, but the "full cast" part is misleading, only certain "big" scenes are full cast, the rest has one narrator. Also, while I can't speak for everyone, a lot of the enjoyment I had from reading Dune came from cross-referencing stuff in the appendices (snippets of Fremen, etc.), which obviously the audio version can't do.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

learnincurve posted:

Every time Amazon buys a company, lots of people get all uppity about it then later realize that Amazon is the most customer friendly company on the planet and invariably improves whatever it is they acquired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

SomeMathGuy posted:

It's good, but the "full cast" part is misleading, only certain "big" scenes are full cast, the rest has one narrator. Also, while I can't speak for everyone, a lot of the enjoyment I had from reading Dune came from cross-referencing stuff in the appendices (snippets of Fremen, etc.), which obviously the audio version can't do.

Is there only the full cast version?